Dinner Beginning with Cupcakes

by Courtney on April 5, 2013

Goooood morning! Oh, I’m so so excited for Friday (and I know I’m beginning to sound like a broken record, but I can’t help it). This morning I allowed myself to sleep in a little extra longer in place of a workout, thanks to somewhat of a later night than usual. But it was totally cool, since last night was loads of fun with lots of great food.

Beginning with…cupcakes?

Okay, so I’ll explain the random mini cupcakes at our table at the restaurant. Jay and I met up last night with Sarah and Jeff and our other friends, Kanika and Shaheen (who you’ve certainly seen around here before).

So back actually at Brian and Mal’s wedding, we found out that Kanika was expecting! She’s due about 5 weeks after I am, and yesterday they found out the gender of their little one…hence the cupcakes. ;)

Gosh, I need a haircut. BAD. And I also swear we were not in mourning based on our clothing preferences for the evening.

So before anything else, we HAD to dig into the cupcakes…

It’s a GIRL! It’s so funny, because out of our circle of friends, they babies are basically 98% boys. I feel like everyone I know lately is having a boy, so we all felt like Kanika just had to have a girl. Turns out, we were right!

As a little gift, Sarah and I decided to buy two different newborn outfits – one for a boy, one for a girl – and whichever she was having she’d get to keep and we’d return the other one. Welllll….I decided to just hold on to the little boy outfit for my little guy because it was just too cute to pass up.

I mean, c’mon…a V neck onesie? Can’t even take the cuteness.

*****

So we all met for dinner last night at Risotto, a fairly new restaurant in the Albany area. Sarah had already been before and raved about it, so I was excited to give it a try. In addition to a bunch of different risotto dishes and entrees, Risotto also has a pretty extensive tapas menu so we decided to try out a bunch to share with the table.

Now I’ve had tapas before…sometimes I find you get fairly small portions, but other times it seems like they’re pretty generous. At Risotto, they were VERY generous. Here’s a look at what we got…

Calamari, which came with parmesan cheese, scallions and peppadews accompanied by a lemon dill béchamel and spicy tomato sauce. The calamari was great, but I took the tomato sauce without knowing it was spicy which I didn’t love…I heard the lemon dill sauce was incredible though.

Primo Risotto- chicken, cappicola ham and swiss cheese stuffed in a fried risotto shell, served with hollandaise sauce…and a side of Sarah being a goofball (haha, sorry Sarah, it was the only photo of them I got!). These were one of my favorites.

Risotto Chips- fresh cut potato chips topped with cappicola ham, onions, tomatoes, andouille sausage, banana peppers and fontina cheese sauce. These were OMG amazing.

Taste of the Mediterranean platter- hummus, tzatziki (DELICIOUS), tahini, baba ghanoush, grape leaves, falafels and kalamata olives.

Chicken Athenian- chicken breast rolled with kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, artichokes, and fontina cheese. This one wasn’t my favorite.

We also got a bruschetta dish as well, but I apparently forgot to snap a photo of that one.

And since I couldn’t go to a restaurant called Risotto without actually trying the risotto, Jay and I opted to share one.

We went with the Chicken Hendizarro, which was made with loads of provolone and fresh mozzarella, topped with a crispy chicken breast and finished with a fire roasted tomato chutney.

This dish tasted absolutely amazing, but I’m so glad we decided to split it because I think we still went home with at least a third of it. Soooo good, but sooo filling!

*****

So what’s good for the weekend guys and gals? Jay and I don’t have any major plans at the moment, although we are hoping that the rest of our nursery furniture came in so we can work on that! I also went ahead and booked myself a pregnancy massage for Saturday morning, thanks to a gift card that I received from Christmas. I’ve been waiting and waiting, but I think it’s finally time. I am stoked!

Happy Friday everyone! :)

1 Sarah @PickyRunner April 5, 2013 at 9:03 am

Aw congrats to your friend! It’s such a fun way to announce that you’re expecting. Plus, who doesn’t approve of cupcakes before dinner? ;)
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..I need your help

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 5, 2013 at 9:04 am

Sounds like you’ve already got a little baby play group formed! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..And We’re Off!

3 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes April 5, 2013 at 9:08 am

Mmmm love falafel! My husband on the other hand, not so much. He always says… falafel is awful ha! How cool your friend is having a girl :-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..VFuel Winners!!!

4 Jennifer@knackfornutrition April 5, 2013 at 9:10 am

I like your style in having cupcakes before dinner! :)
Jennifer@knackfornutrition recently posted..Fit Things Friday

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 5, 2013 at 9:11 am

All that food looks so good! Congratulations to your friend! A little girl is very exciting :)
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..A Helping Hand

6 Erin @Axell's Kitchen April 5, 2013 at 9:20 am

I got a massage while pregnant on our honeymoon in Jamaica..and it was amazing!! I will say though the one after I had the baby was even better- your body needs it after having all that extra weight and giving birth!
Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Five Things Friday

7 Ashley @ Life and Fitness April 5, 2013 at 9:20 am

I think I could eat that whole plate of calamari by myself haha, looks amazing! I love getting pampered at the salon. Enjoy the massage!
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Sweaty Elbow Elliptical Workout

8 Danica @ It's Progression April 5, 2013 at 9:37 am

I bet that massage will be fantastic! I have a deep tissue massage scheduled for Sunday afternoon, and though those aren’t as relaxing during the session, they definitely make me feel better later…hope you have a great Friday!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Running’s Life Lessons

9 alyssa - life a la wife April 5, 2013 at 9:40 am

Dinner that begins with cupcakes is always a fun night! Your little man is going to have a girlfriend ready for him :)

10 alyssa - life a la wife April 5, 2013 at 9:41 am

Dinner that begins with cupcakes is always a fun night! Little man will have a girlfriend at a very young age ;)
alyssa – life a la wife recently posted..Strawberry Sangria

11 sara @ fitcupcaker April 5, 2013 at 9:42 am

I love cupcake idea, so cute! You can never go wrong with cupcakes!
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Flashback Friday

12 Val @ Making It Sparkle April 5, 2013 at 9:44 am

Your cupcakes always make me crave some. I might do some baking today!

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 5, 2013 at 10:31 am

I love the idea of using cupcakes as a gender reveal. Congrats to your friend!

Considering that we did a lot of running around for Easter last weekend, it’s going to be a quiet one around here. I think we’re going to go out for dinner tomorrow night though.

14 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 5, 2013 at 10:32 am

Congrats to your friend! I’ve noticed the same thing when it come to everyone seemingly having a boy these days. But boy or girl, babies are absolutely precious :)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... currently … april .

15 Emily @ The Good Era April 5, 2013 at 10:35 am

So cute!! The V Neck Onesie is adorable.

I’m going away for the weekend with friends for a wiffle ball tournament. Luckily the weather has finally decided to act like Spring, so it should be nice to get outside! :)

Have a great weekend!
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Perfect Iced Coffee

16 Lauren April 5, 2013 at 10:53 am

There is never anything wrong with dessert first! So glad you had a wonderful night out. :)

17 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit April 5, 2013 at 10:53 am

Yes please on cupcakes to start a meal! Nothing better than dessert first :) Sounds like all of the kiddo’s are going to have a blast playing together!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Fact vs. Fiction Friday

18 Lisa April 5, 2013 at 10:59 am

Happy Friday to you too:)
Congrats to your friends, such a cute idea.
Such a great way to announce the gender.
Totally agree that the baby boys seem to be taking over these days, which may be a good thing since I read a fact that there are 2 million more girls than boys in the world….random ha.

19 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! April 5, 2013 at 11:03 am

Mmmm… cupcakes!
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..Just A Couple Naughty Bits

20 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 5, 2013 at 11:06 am

What a cute little outfit! All the food looks fantastic. Glad you guys had a great evening out!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Hunter’s Birth Story (Part 2)

21 Lyric April 5, 2013 at 11:14 am

Congrats to them! Babies are awesome. Those little risotto balls look seeew good. C’mon, how could deep frying rice cheese and ham not taste delicious?!
Lyric recently posted..Pumpkin Oats.. In the spring.

22 AshleyCarole April 5, 2013 at 11:18 am

Wow those risotto chips look amazing! I agree- completely happy it is Friday!! Our weekend plans are working out in the lawn doing some spring cleaning!

23 Mommypage April 5, 2013 at 11:22 am

This sounds like fun! All the food you ordered looks delicious- especially those mini cupcakes! I hope you all enjoyed the night!
Mommypage recently posted..Would you teach your baby sign language?

24 Avery @ SBLW April 5, 2013 at 11:22 am

Congrats to Kanika! Cupcakes for appetizers are always a good idea :)

25 Angie April 5, 2013 at 11:50 am

Your hair is beautiful!

26 Cassie @RedLetterDaye April 5, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Glad to know Risotto is so good. I’ve been meaning to check it out and I’ve heard lots of good things about it.
Cassie @RedLetterDaye recently posted..WIAW: Stir it Up, Little Darlin’

27 michelle kim April 5, 2013 at 12:11 pm

In my family, the generation after mine has 8 kids so far… ALL GIRLS! Haha… so my grandpa has 8 great granddaughters. The first boy born into that generation is going to be spoiled like crazy.
And that chicken dish looks amazing!

28 Lauren April 5, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Those dishes look FANTANSTIC! UGH. I absolutely love calamari especially with lemon dill sauce. Mmm. I love all the little things I’ve been seeing around to reveal the gender of babies! It’s so cute and I just love it all! I’m glad you had a great night and you set up a relaxing massage for yourself! You deserve it! :-)
Lauren recently posted..Ack-You-Punch-Her?!

29 Shel@PeachyPalate April 5, 2013 at 2:23 pm

The food looks amazing! Great selection! Love that you guys do the baby cupcake thing! People in Ireland, well the majority, don’t find out the sex of the baby…I so would! So much better for getting organised!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..The forgotten seed

30 Annette@FitnessPerks April 5, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Ahhhh all that food looks/sounds amazing! What a fun night out. ANd congrats to your friend!!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Randoms (w/a side of pet peeves)

31 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 5, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I really do not think that you can ever go wrong with dessert before dinner!! Sometime I want to go to a restaurant and order dessert first and then an entree! :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Spicy Bean Buddha Bowl

32 Suzanne @ Mixing It Up April 5, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Oh my goodness, LOVING the v-neck onesie!!! I miss the day of adorable baby clothes.

I think your hair looks beautiful however, I get the feeling of needing it cut. Mine is just too long right now and everyone says, “No, don’t cut it” but I just feel like it would look better if I did. Decision, decisions!!
Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted..That’s What I Like

33 Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 5, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Omgness those are all such delicious dishes that I don’t know where to begin! Tzatziki??? the best dip ever…And yayyyyy for girls! haha, I’m so happy for her even though I don’t know her because I’m one of the few people that I know who’s having a girl, so girl power. yeah! :D
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..The Best Restaurant Baked Potato Soup

34 Leigha April 5, 2013 at 7:45 pm

V neck onesie.. oh my gosh so cute! How much did all those appetizers cost?! So many! The risotto looks awesome. I’ve never tried it before, but I want to!
Leigha recently posted..Not your typical spring break

35 Erin @Axell's Kitchen April 5, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I’m such a pig I would totally ruin my dinner if I ate dessert first lol And that’s how we told people at our wedding too, with cupcakes!
Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Baby Must-Haves for the First Year

36 Bek @ Crave April 5, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Yay for sharing tapas- you get to taste lots of bits and pieces. And awesome portions too! Mmm I could go some risotto!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Link Love 6/4

37 Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills April 5, 2013 at 11:10 pm

LOVE the vneck!
Danielle @ Truffles n’ Treadmills recently posted..ProCompression Review & Giveaway

38 Nicole @ Curly Mommy April 6, 2013 at 10:57 am

I think that cupcakes should be at the beginning of every meal :)
Nicole @ Curly Mommy recently posted..Why Running a Marathon is like Child Birth

39 Jaime D. April 6, 2013 at 11:59 am

OMG…those risotto chips look PHENOM! Yuuuuuuum

40 Katy April 6, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I’ve never been to a tapas place before but I have always wanted to go. I love getting to try lots of different foods at once! Tonight we are having some friends over for a bbq!
Katy recently posted..WIAW- Better Late Than Never

41 GiGi Eats Celebrities April 6, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I am on a SQUID kick these days – SOOOOO good! :D so I am jealous of your calamari!!

42 Emily N April 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm

My friends kind of went in spurts. For YEARS we had all boys in the group of friends, and I think we may be hitting the girl wave, finally. 3 due this summer!
Emily N recently posted..Another Trip to the Doc