One Of Our Favorite Dinners

Before anything else, I feel like I must address the events that unfolded at the Boston Marathon yesterday. My heart aches for all of those affected by the bombings that occurred. But I must say, I am so impressed with the current trend on social media which seems to be focusing more on the heroes from the tragedy in Boston, rather than try to point fingers. In the words of my friend Kate, thank you to all the first responders–YOU are newsworthy. Stay safe. Pray for Boston.

*****

So after a weekend full of what seemed like endless, delicious carbs, it was actually nice to change things up a bit yesterday and reintroduce a bit of color into my meals. It’s so, SO easy for me to fall into the carb habit these days – it’s probably one of THE biggest cravings I have (besides Mexican) – so most days I do need to make a solid attempt at incorporating the good stuff. The key? Planning ahead!

Sunday night before going to bed, I made sure to make yesterday’s lunch and snacks. I didn’t snap photos of everything yesterday, but I did capture a few…including my lunchtime salad.

salad

All sorts of veggies in there with plenty of avocado and roast turkey. And pickles. Duh.

This weekend, Price Chopper had BOGO strawberries, so I’ve been making sure to incorporate some everyday in an attempt to eat them all before they go bad. So far, I’ve already finished up the first 1lb. container (in 3 days, mind you) so I think I’m doing okay.

strawberries and grapes

As a little sweet after-lunch snack, I munched on some strawberries and green grapes.

A little while later, I was surprised by one of my co-workers with a delicious piece of coffee cake…alllll for meeee.

raspberry vanilla coffee cake

Turns out, it’s actually a Raspberry Vanilla Coffee Cake from Chocolate Covered Katie, and OMG it was soooo good. She even included some chocolate chips in there which were a pleasant surprise. I snacked on about half of it later in the afternoon at work and then wound up eating the rest of it once I got home from work before starting dinner.

raspberry vanilla coffee cake

What? I thought it was a good pre-dinner appetizer. 😉

On the menu for dinner last night? One of our favorites over here…Tilapia Tacos with Roasted Corn Relish.

IMG_1907

Each of us had two tacos (which were actually made on the smaller sized LaTortilla Factory Low-Carb tortillas – I’m really not a fan of corn tortillas) filled with lots of tilapia, relish, some cheese, and the very last of the leftover garlic aioli sauce (aka, we’ve been putting it on everything).

tilapia tacos

Dinner was super delish, and I even have leftovers which may wind up being my dinner tonight since we’re going to have to eat quick. We have plans after work to meet up with some pals to go see The Place Beyond the Pines, and I’m wicked psyched! Aaaaand, they even have $1.00 popcorn tonight…Sign. Me. UP.

P.S. – The Baby Tooth page was updated this morning!

Comments

1. Sarah says

Oh, I LOVE Katie’s recipes and I’ve been wanting to try that coffeecake ever since she posted it last week! I’m so glad to know its really good :) And it’s healthy ! woop!

Oh yum, that cake looks pretty darn delicious! I’m a fan of Katie’s recipes.
    Your friend Kate is totally on point with her thoughts, the first responders are definitely newsworthy and I’m also glad to see the attention on the heroes, rather than those who caused it.
    Lisa recently posted..At The Moment

3. Leigha says

Girl your meals are all so yummy! Ooh that coffe cake looks amazing. Prayers for Boston. Such a tragedy. But all the heroes is just so inspiring!

The coffee cake looks delicious. I have been a bit wary of Katie’s recipes because of all the substitutions she makes and using processed foods. This recipe actually looks pretty goo though! :)

5. Jen says

How can you feel good about posting pics of trivial things like your lunch after writing a tiny blurb about Boston . You are sick

• says

I completely disagree with this. I’ll probably get attacked because I’m Courtney’s friend, but really? Yes, our hearts are in Boston with those affected by the tragic events yesterday. Yes, we can all be keeping them in our thoughts. That doesn’t mean we should stop from going forward. Did you sit at home all day reflecting on yesterday’s events and not do anything else? I am assuming not. Just because Courtney wrote a paragraph instead of a long post about Boston doesn’t mean she isn’t feeling for them. Get a grip, Jen.

• says

I totally agree, Chelsey. The worst thing we can do is criticize one another. If anything, horrific events such as this should just encourage us to be THAT MUCH MORE compassionate and caring to one another, not tear each other down.
        Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Seize The Day

• says

I ran Boston on Monday. I heard the bombs 1 block from where they occurred . I saw people running and the aftermath. I walked for 2 hrs after the race to find an open subway to get to the airport. Now, tell me again why I shouldn’t be offended at your stupid coffee cake post after this tragedy. I’m not saying life doesn’t go on. But have some decency.

• says

I’m sorry you had to go through that Jen. I’m sure it was a horrific experience. All I can do is echo what I said and what Kelly said. It seems no matter what anyone says, you’re going to have the same view and argue relentlessly. I hope you are able to recover from Monday’s events.

It is taco night at our house tonight. I was going to make turkey tacos but I have a tilapia filet in the freezer so I think I may just make a couple tilapia tacos for myself!!!

And Jen- Stop judging. What happened in Boston was a horrific, sad event but life DOES go on. People cannot stop living just because awful things happen. I for one find it refreshing to read/see something other than coverage on it. I will be thinking about the victims for a long time to come but sickness to me, is seeing the media sensationalise it.
    Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted..Running for Those Who Can’t

7. Sarah says

I had posted this on facebook and I really thought it out before writing. Wanted to share.
    “On a day when we should have been celebrating the accomplishments of an athletic challenge that is a lifelong dream/goal for so many people we are instead facing tragedy. Although many lives changed today, many heroes were born. Look at all the pictures, at all of the videos, at all of the people who ran towards the bombing rather than away. All of the people who didn’t even think twice about moving barricades and rubble to get to those who were wounded. So yes, there are bad people, but look at all of the good ones also. The monumental bad events in the world often overshadow the good out there; don’t become blinded by the negativity. A handful of people planned the attack today, an entire city rushed to care for the victims, and an entire nation stands united.”

Dinner looked yummy btw!

Aw this post kinda made my morning. :)
    (Please don’t worry about Jen’s words. I know she’s hurting too, and we all show our grief in different ways, but we MUST go on with our lives and try to find happiness again. If we don’t, then whoever did this wins.)