A Little Mellow

by Courtney on April 18, 2013

Hey guys! How’s it shakin’ this morning? Hard to believe it’s already Thursday, but I’ll totally take it.

Things have been fairly quiet and uneventful for me this week, so I honestly just haven’t had all that much to talk about. I was actually just chatting with Chelsey about this, and we both agreed that hey, it happens. It’s okay to lead boring lives once in a while…in fact, it’s kinda not too shabby. That just means that the blog might be a little mellow in the meantime…but I’m sure life will spice back up again sooner or later.

Alright, so let’s see…what’s been happening on the food and fitness front? Well, fitness has been happening, so I can’t complain about that. So far this week I’ve gotten in a good treadmill walk and and a 30 minute Pilates session. Tonight after work, I’m planning on doing another circuit workout (which I failed to get up early enough for this morning) so we’ll see how that goes.

As for food? There’s been some good stuff, but I guess nothing really all that earth-shattering. Plenty of the usuals, with cereal being a new favorite breakfast item.

This was yesterday’s bowl, which was a combo of Honey Nut Cheerios Medley Crunch (OMG so good) and Kashi Go Lean Crisp (a favorite from back in the day!) with strawberries and almond milk.

Dinners have been a mix – sometimes we feel like cooking, sometimes we feel like keeping it easy. Last night’s dinner was kept fairly easy but it totally rocked.

I cooked up some sugar snap peas and sweet potato waffle fries, but the real stars of the show were the grilled cheese sandwiches that I made for the both of us. Jay got a grilled ham, turkey bacon, and cheese, while I made myself a grilled roast turkey, turkey bacon, provolone, and spinach sandwich with honey mustard.

Ohhhh man, you guys. It was sooooo good.

Jay and I spent the rest of the evening playing with the Codster and catching up on this week’s episodes of The Voice. We also treated ourselves to a couple small dishes of Edy’s light french vanilla ice cream later in the evening. Love that stuff. ;)

*****

On a different note, it’s been so heartwarming to see such an outpouring of support for the victims of the Boston Marathon tragedy. In case you’re looking for a way to help, here a few resources that I’ve come across so far:

If there’s any others that you know of, please let me know so I can add them to the list.

**Updated from reader, Michelle:

1 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers April 18, 2013 at 9:33 am

Mmmm, dinner looks fantastic! Are the fries from frozen? If so, what brand?
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Power Pyramid Treadmill Workout

2 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 10:21 am

They’re frozen…pretty sure they were McCormick brand?

3 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes April 18, 2013 at 9:35 am

That sandwich looks fantastic. I’m thinking I need honey mustard in my life now!!!
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Driving a stroller and too many desserts

4 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives April 19, 2013 at 11:51 am

Yes, honey mustard rocks!! In fact, it will most likely make an appearance on my 6-in subway sandwich today. ;-)
Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..Fast-Moving Fridays

5 Becky April 18, 2013 at 9:38 am

Your dinner looks delicious! I always love sandwiches, especially when they are toasted like that! And sweet potato fries are always a good combo with anything!

Like you, I have loved seeing everyone reach out and help after the Boston Marathon. Our world is such a crazy place, but it is good to know there are still some good people out there.

6 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 18, 2013 at 9:40 am

Definitely giving me a grilled cheese craving! Yours definitely looks creative…and tasty!

7 Linz @ Itz Linz April 18, 2013 at 9:42 am

i’ve had a pretty low key week this week too and i’ve been loving it!! i’ve gotten everything done i needed to after work and been in before before 9 every night. amazing!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Shirley Temple Eggs

8 Ashley @ Life and Fitness April 18, 2013 at 9:47 am

Waffle fries! I love the spicy and crunchy ones the best. The best food is always the most ordinary! Happy Friday.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Why I’m A Brat

9 Ashley @ Life and Fitness April 18, 2013 at 9:47 am

Just realized it’s not Friday haha. Happy Thursday! Can you tell my brain is off this morning LOL.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Why I’m A Brat

10 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 18, 2013 at 9:53 am

I’m happy things are mellow for you. I think it’s a good thing with you being so far along with your pregnancy now. Those waffle fries are sparking a major craving over here! :)
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Comforting Mushroom & Barley Soup

11 Lisa April 18, 2013 at 9:57 am

Things have been a little mellow with me too, I guess not every week can be exciting;) although, I know the next few weeks are going to be insane, and I’m kind of excited for that.
And now I’m craving grilled cheese!
Lisa recently posted..I Believe…

12 Lyric April 18, 2013 at 9:58 am

That sandwich looks amazing, I love experimenting with paninis and grilled sandwiches. My favourite to date has got to be turkey + pesto + tomato. Glad things aren’t super busy for you, I mean sometimes a low key life is just what we need right!?
Lyric recently posted..Benefits of Green Tea

13 Lauren April 18, 2013 at 10:02 am

Girl, that sandwich alone is enough to talk about! Looks fab!

14 Allee @ Griselda Mood April 18, 2013 at 10:07 am

Ooh I am stealing that sandwich idea! Looks delicious!
Allee @ Griselda Mood recently posted..WIAW #3

15 Brittany @ DulceVie April 18, 2013 at 10:09 am

I loooove when I have a relaxing week :) At least nothing bad is happening for you! And that sandwich looks amazing!
Brittany @ DulceVie recently posted..WIAW: Crew Fuel

16 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns April 18, 2013 at 10:20 am

Mmmm the dinner looks sooooo good!!!! Those are the ways I’ve heard of :)
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..I.Am.Done

17 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle April 18, 2013 at 10:20 am

sweet potato waffle fries! delish! i’m also surprised it’s thursday but i will not be uttering a single complaint about it ;) hooray for low-key weeks!
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..Here’s looking at you

18 Taylor April 18, 2013 at 10:26 am

Sometimes it is really great to just have a relaxing week! That sandwich look amazing!

19 Angela @ Health's Angel April 18, 2013 at 10:32 am

You and Jay manage to get so creative in the kitchen and I love it- such a yummy take on grilled cheese! Also, I’ve been a cereal fiend lately! Not sure what’s gotten into me considering I haven’t eaten any in months. I keep adding honey bunches of oats to my yogurt bowls this week…
I hear you on the uneventful week thing. I feel like my life has been so boring lately. But in a way, that’s a good thing. I can’t imagine all the lives that have been turned upside down by the events this week.
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Rapunzel Wannabe

20 Brooke @ Running In Heels April 18, 2013 at 10:37 am

OMG your sandwich… so delicious!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Wednesday Beach Body Challenge

21 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat April 18, 2013 at 10:38 am

I’m digging the grilled cheese sandwiches and sweet potato fries! Yum!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Gluten Free doesn’t have to Taste Bad!

22 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 18, 2013 at 10:49 am

Your sandwich looks SO good. So good that I’ve decided I’m making myself one for lunch. :D

Also, I’ve never had sweet potato waffle fries, but those definitely look like something I have to try!
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..Torture Thursday

23 Jacquelyn @justjacq April 18, 2013 at 10:58 am

Fancy grilled cheeses are pretty much my favorite thing ever. I like to do mozzarella, spinach, avocado, and hummus on sourdough. Sooooo goooood.
Jacquelyn @justjacq recently posted..Monochrome and My Really White Legs

24 Alaina April 18, 2013 at 11:11 am

That grilled cheese looks delicious! How do you manage to get all the internal ingrediants nice and gooey without over cooking the toast? Also, what do you generally use in the pan to cook your grilled cheese?

On another note, I totally agree that Honey Nut Cheerios Medley is OUT OF THIS WORLD! I equally enjoy the Kashi Go Lean Crisp! w/ berries. Have you ever tried Fiber One’s Chocolate cereal? It’s a new favorite of mine with a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk! Brings me back to my childhood!

25 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 11:26 am

I just put a little butter on my bread and use a little cooking spray in the pan. Never cook higher than medium.
I’ve also never tried that particular Fiber One, but it sounds yummy! :)

26 Alaina April 18, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Thanks! I might have to make that one of my go-to quickie dinners! Btw, tried out your OOIAJ since I am a peanut butter lover and loved it!

27 Michelle April 18, 2013 at 11:23 am

Thanks for mentioning my city ;)

Rue La La is selling a tshirt with proceeds to go to Emergency Medicine Fund at Massachusetts General Hospital

The New England Patriots and New England Revolution also have set up Charitable Foundations

donations-support-boston-marathon-victim-recovery

And the Salvation Army is accepting donations as well
Michelle recently posted..Time is on my side; yes it is

28 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 11:25 am

AWESOME. Thank you so much for sending these along!

29 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! April 18, 2013 at 11:29 am

dang those sweet potato waffles fries look/sound good right about now!!
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..An Awesome Guest Post For You! [A Weight Loss Story]

30 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 18, 2013 at 11:31 am

Your dinner looks simply fabulous! I think my hubby and I need to have a grilled cheese night!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Creamy Lemon Pasta with a Secret Ingredient

31 Steph @ StephSnacks April 18, 2013 at 11:32 am

That sandwich looks so good! Ah!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW – Mexio Style

32 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit April 18, 2013 at 11:49 am

Insanely jealous of your low-key week, enjoy it! I am hoping for one of those sooner rather than later. You just sold me on making a grilled cheese for lunch, looks divine :)
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Thoughts for Thursday…

33 Annette@FitnessPerks April 18, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Ohhhhh yumm! Those sandwiches sound uber good! I see paninis in our future….. :)

34 lauren April 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm

There is nothing better than a grilled sandwich. I made grilled cheeses for us last Friday and added a fried egg to mine, then at the last minute I snuck some avocado in mine. It was amazing!
If you ever want to post about your AM routine, I’d be curious. I am a total mess in the am. Even when I get up 2 hours before I have to leave, nobody can lose half hour blocks like me. It is so, so terrible. I figure I should work on this before my son arrives sometime in July, it’s only going to get harder.

35 Sara @ fitcupcaker April 18, 2013 at 1:07 pm

That sandwich looks AMAZING if you ask me… and I always feel like my life is boring!! I feel like All I do is work, eat, workout, eat, eat, and eat again lol.
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Crossfit Catch Up- Annie & Kettlebell 300

36 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny April 18, 2013 at 1:28 pm

It’s so nice to see everyone offering ways to help with the boston tragedy. Thanks for posting!!
Both of your sandwiches sound pretty good right now! Anything with bacon sounds good actually!
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..WIAW: fruit salad with cilantro lime yogurt dip

37 Christina W April 18, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Hey thanks for the post and thoughts and prayers for Boston. ’47 Brand is also offering a “B” Strong baseball hat (in conjuction with the Red Sox) for $20 and 100% proceeds go to One Fund. Please check it out !

Thanks!!!

38 Courtney April 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Adding this now….THANK YOU!!

39 Shel@PeachyPalate April 18, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I’m glad things are mellow for you it’s great for the baby…nice and relaxed mum = happy baby! A toasted sandwich for dinner is sometimes just the ticket….I love a good tempeh blt…or a tlt rather! :)
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..The ultimate smoothie trio

40 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 18, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Those sandwiches look great! This is a great reminder how important it is to give blood. It’s such a small and easy thing to do, but it truly does make a difference.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..WIAW: The One With The Trail Food

41 Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake April 18, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I must make that sandwich soon! My mouth is watering!!!!
Over here in Alabama, we got tons and tons of runners running for Boston. And non-runners too! Its amazing!
I just posted about our event last night at Trak Shak and the blood drive they had there for people who wanted to donate blood!
I am so happy about being a runner and being involved in this wonderful running community.
Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake recently posted..Running for Boston + Coconut Overnight Oats Recipe

42 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 18, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Aaand, now I want a grilled cheese!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW #43

43 Leigha April 18, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Everyone needs a lazy week! Oh my gosh I NEED that grilled cheese. I’m making that tomorrow. I want to try sweet potato fries so bad!!
Leigha recently posted..WIAW {MIA}

44 Erin @Axell's Kitchen April 18, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Yum that dinner looks perfect!
Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Throwback Thursday: The Day Stu Came Home From Iraq

45 Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Omgshhh that dinner looks sooooo delicious!!! I love any panini style sandwich.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Life, Food, Winner!

46 Bek @ Crave April 19, 2013 at 12:03 am

Nothing wrong with mellow- we’ll still be here :)
Ps. Your title reminded me of Marshmallow when I saw it ha ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Comfort In A Cup