WIAW: Lots of Colors

by Courtney on April 24, 2013

I don’t know what it is, but today just seems like it’s going to be a GOOD day. I got a great night’s sleep, a fabulous, 40-minute cardio/strength circuit in this morning, heard some Macklemore on the radio while getting ready for work, the sun is shining, and it’s supposed to be 70 degrees today.

Yes, today is going to be a good day!

So now, let’s get to the good stuff. Yesterday included a bunch of yummy eats and, hey, check it out…lots of colors this week, too! Winking smile

Breakfast

I woke up craving peanut butter and banana, so I packed up a honey wheat bagel and the banana to bring to work with me…

So I could toast it up and top it with all sorts of melty peanut butter from my desk stash.

IMG_1982

It was deeeeeelicious. Especially alongside my iced coffee. YUM.

Mid-Morning Snack

I only used about half of my banana with breakfast, so I ate up the rest of that along with the orange I packed with me.

I know…super random that it’s missing a section, right? Well the recipe we used for the beef carnitas last night called for a section of an orange to go right in the pot. That being said, I made sure the rest of the orange did not go to waste!

Lunch

Lunch was a two-parter for me yesterday.

Around noon I started getting hungry so I ate my spinach salad (I promise, it’s under there) which was topped with some baby carrots, broccoli, strawberries, and dried cranberries. There was also some raspberry walnut vinaigrette underneath that bad boy.

After lunch part one, me and a co-worker friend of mine headed outside for an afternoon stroll. It was still a tad chilly, but we wound up doing a few big laps around our building and parking lot and probably spent a good half hour or so power walking it up. It felt SO good to get out and get moving!

About an hour later, I broke into lunch part two, which was the rest of the leftover beef carnitas mixture (which really wasn’t all that much).

Mid-Afternoon Snack

Not long after finishing up the leftovers right up there, I snacked on a piece of banana bread that I brought with me. Pretty darn tasty, I must say!

Pre-Dinner Snack

I was pretty hungry again by the time I got home from work, so while I was chopping up some veggies for dinner, I snacked on some baby carrots and light ranch veggie dip.

Still lovin’ me some ranch!

Dinner

We had a couple of pieces of chicken marinating in the fridge for about a day so Jay decided to cook those up. I wasn’t really in the mood for just plain chicken or a regular chicken sandwich, so I decided to make a big batch of chicken salad with my piece.

I didn’t have all of my usual veggies, but I did add some carrots, red bell pepper, avocado, red grapes, and dried cranberries, along with some light mayo, honey mustard, and salt and pepper.

I then took about half of the mixture and put it on a whole wheat sandwich thin along with some lettuce and a slice of provolone cheese.

Simple, yet suuuuper satisfying. AND I already have lunch ready for today…doesn’t get much better than that!

Dessert

Ever since Saturday, when I made that batch of cookies, I’ve been allowing (actually, that’s a harsh word…I’ve been CHOOSING) to enjoy two after dinner. A couple of times I’ve just had them plain, and a couple of times I’ve enjoyed them slightly heated up and crumbled with a tiny scoop of Edy’s light french vanilla ice cream.

IMG_1986

I really do try to rotate back and forth between the somewhat “more indulgent” after dinner desserts, and the slightly healthier desserts (like Greek yogurt with PB2 and chocolate chips). Regardless, I’ve been loving my after-dinner desserts, and so has Baby Tooth. :)

Happy Wednesday, everyone! Hope it’s a good one for you, too! :)

1 Nicole April 24, 2013 at 8:34 am

Those strawberries look delish! Have a great day and enjoy the finally nice weather.

2 Paige @ A Healthy Tale April 24, 2013 at 8:34 am

Wow amazing colours! It just goes to show that its not the amount of food that people eat, but in fact what they are eating! Not saying you are greedy haha, but people often think snacking is bad when actually its pretty good for you depending on what it is!

3 Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 24, 2013 at 8:45 am

Enjoying a warmed up cookie with ice cream sounds like the perfect after dinner treat! Your meals all look great actually. I love loaded salads that are full of different flavors and textures.

4 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 24, 2013 at 8:47 am

You DID have a great day of eats….lots of color and everything looks delish! That chicken salad you had for dinner looks amazing and especially you dessert. Happy WIAW!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..A day of really good eats!

5 Ashley @ Life and Fitness April 24, 2013 at 8:54 am

Whenever there is baked cookies around, they do not last long in this house! I love them too much :)
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..WIAW-I Forgot What A Vegetable Looked Like

6 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige April 24, 2013 at 8:54 am

lol I do the same thing with desserts. Ice cream one night, a banana w/ almond butter or cereal and coconut milk the next. Meh, it works :)
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..Clearing a Scatter Brain + The Best Day Planner App

7 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire April 24, 2013 at 8:57 am

Banana bread! You just totally sparked a craving for banana bread now. Those are some prettttttttty colors. Good to see Baby Tooth is getting a taste of the rainbow. ;)
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..What My Mom Taught Me

8 Lisa April 24, 2013 at 8:58 am

I must say all your colorful meals are making me crave veggies and fruits hard. I love the color.
However, that Dessert looks pretty good too:)
Great day of eats.
Glad the baby is enjoying veggies and fruit now :D
Lisa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

9 Courtney April 24, 2013 at 10:26 am

Haha, I know right? Luckily he’s always enjoyed the fruits…but the veggies are finally making a comeback ;)

10 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty April 24, 2013 at 9:12 am

Is there anything better than warm chocolate weather it be warm chocolate chip cookies, warm brownies, or hot fudge, with cold ice cream?! I don’t think so!
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Keeping it Uplifting

11 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty April 24, 2013 at 9:12 am

Whoops *whether
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Keeping it Uplifting

12 Presh April 24, 2013 at 9:29 am

mmmmmm i don’t think so!
Presh recently posted..I’d have her babies + Photo Dump

13 Courtney April 24, 2013 at 10:25 am

Definitely one of my favorites!

14 Erin @Axell's Kitchen April 24, 2013 at 9:13 am

Loving all the colors! And now I am craving chocolate chip cookies!!
Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Caramel Marshmallow Granola Bars

15 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit April 24, 2013 at 9:16 am

Awesome eats lady! Love pb on toast when it gets all melty!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..WIAW…A Little Goes a Long Way

16 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 24, 2013 at 9:21 am

Cannot go wrong with cookies! I tend to take a similar approach to dessert..rotate between ice cream/cookies and healthier options, like greek yogurt or a piece of dark chocolate. Works for me!

17 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers April 24, 2013 at 9:24 am

Mmmm, such great eats! :) I’m all about not letting leftover ingredients go to waste. I used some canned pumpkin in Sunday’s enchiladas, and I think that calls for a little pumpkin bread, which I hope to make today or tomorrow!
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..WIAW, without ice cream

18 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life April 24, 2013 at 9:25 am

Strawberries + walnuts are two of my favorite salad add-ins, so that viniagrette and the rest of those salad ingredients sounds like the perfect combo!

I try and stick to the ‘healthier’ desserts during the week and tend to save the rich and decadent desserts for the weekend! Gotta have something sweet after dinner always! :)

19 Presh April 24, 2013 at 9:27 am

Mmmmmm cookies and ice cream
yummmmy!
That spinach salad looked so good!
Love the colorful eating!
Always great :)
Presh recently posted..I’d have her babies + Photo Dump

20 lauren April 24, 2013 at 9:35 am

I need to try that Greek yogurt combination! Tum. Does it really taste like cookie dough?

21 Courtney April 24, 2013 at 10:25 am

Haha, not really, but it does taste pretty darn delicious!

22 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes April 24, 2013 at 9:37 am

cookies + ice cream = perfection.
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..A marriage first

23 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat April 24, 2013 at 9:38 am

The spinach salad looks to colorful and yummy! Also, the chicken salad sounds so awesome! I really need to give that a try!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Flourless Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies

24 Shel@PeachyPalate April 24, 2013 at 9:45 am

That is quite the array of beautifully coloured food missus! Banana PB and a bagel…it just can’t be beat!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Another year older

25 sara @ fitcupcaker April 24, 2013 at 9:52 am

your meals looked very balanced yesterday, and you can never go wrong with peanut butter and banana! My salads usually look like that too, lettuce topped with all kinds of goodies! I actually want to eat everything you had yesterday :)
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW- Not What I Planned

26 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 24, 2013 at 10:21 am

Cookies+ice cream or brownies+ice cream with a little whipped cream on top is the best dessert. Ever.
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..New Almond Butter Appreciation

27 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! April 24, 2013 at 10:44 am

that IS a lot of color, I like it!
I love that blue cutting board too! :)
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..An Update On The Weight Loss Thing & Stuff I’ve Been Eating

28 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 10:47 am

I really love it when days start out that way, and I find that getting a good sleep is usually what does it for me… well, that and waking up to sunshine :D I hope that it sets the mood for the rest of your day! And I can completely relate to rotating between healthy and indulgent desserts… it’s all about balance, right? :)

Happy Wednesday!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … eating without hunger .

29 Lauren April 24, 2013 at 10:48 am

What a healthy day of eating! I love mixing in sweet ingredients with greek yogurt as well. Have you ever tried freezing it for about an hour? It gets a nice icy consistency that is similar to frozen yogurt! Happy Wednesday!
Lauren recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday (4/24/13)

30 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns April 24, 2013 at 10:48 am

I couldn’t agree with you more! Today is going to be a good day, I can feel it :) Hmmm your dinners always look so darn good to me!!
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..New Favorites

31 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

Everything looks SO good!!…especially that dessert!! ;) We all have to indulge now and then, now don’t we?
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Slow-cooker Pea and Carrot Rice Soup

32 Leigha April 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

Ahh everything looks awesome! I think we kind of have the same general food schedule/meals It’s awesome!

33 Michelle April 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

Def lots of colors in there ! Looks like healthy meals and snacks in the mix AND workouts !
Michelle recently posted..Mom’s getting moving Monday: 5 ways to exercise with your baby

34 Michelle Kim April 24, 2013 at 11:38 am

It really was a colorful day of eats! Looks so delicious and satisfying :)

35 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 24, 2013 at 12:34 pm

your lunch is very colorful! That salad looks great, I wish I could eat broccoli without it upsetting my stomach… I miss it! And I love getting to walk outside during the day, it’s a nice way to take a breather.

36 Becky April 24, 2013 at 12:44 pm

All of your food looks great! Your chicken salad looks so good. Have you ever made chicken salad with Greek yogurt? I have thought about it, but I didn’t know how good it really was.

37 Courtney April 24, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Yes! It’s actually really good with a combo of plain Greek yogurt and either Dijon or honey mustard. One of my favorites, actually! I’ve just been on a mayo kick lately ;-)

38 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 24, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Everything you packed for work looks so yummy and bright!

I’ve been loving baby carrots as a snack lately, too!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: Donut Shop Sweet & Creamy Brew over Ice K-Cups

39 Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I just love the looks of everything you’re eating, and it’s so wholesome that I’m sure Baby Tooth is becoming super strong ;)
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Life, Food, Winner!

40 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 24, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Enjoy that fabulous night of sleep now haha! ;) I am jealous!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Addie’s birth story

41 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm

A good night of sleep definitely helps to make the day a great one! These days, any night that I get a good night of sleep means it’ll be a super day. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #80: What I’ve Been Eating Lately

42 Linz @ Itz Linz April 24, 2013 at 2:56 pm

i love desserts, too! i def try to alternate between more indulgent desserts and healthier desserts… luckily, there are millions of options for healthy desserts! :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Shirley Temple Egg Recipe

43 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 24, 2013 at 4:06 pm

The chicken salad sandwich looks tasty. I always love the versatility chicken salad has!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Tread Lightly!

44 Sonja @ The {Happy} Travel Bug April 24, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Loving the chicken salad sandwich!
Sonja @ The {Happy} Travel Bug recently posted..Nevin’s Brewing Company

45 Amy @ Run with Perseverance April 24, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Your salad looks delicious! I love putting fruit in salads–makes them seem more like a dessert than a healthy main course.
Amy @ Run with Perseverance recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #1

46 Miranda @ Miranda Runs April 24, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Let’s be honest here. Does anyone NOT like after dinner dessert? ;) Cookies and ice cream sound amazing right now!
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..NearlyWordless WIAW 4/24

47 Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 24, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Slightly warmed cookies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top? Sigh. That sounds perfect. Allowing is a harsh word, choosing to enjoy a yummy dessert now and then is totally a good thing. And the chicken salad for dinner looks so good! Might need to whip some up for lunches next week :)
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Back from Virginia Beach!

48 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny April 24, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Getting a good night’s sleep makes all the difference in the world…so does working out in the morning rather than forcing it after a long day at work. Sets the whole day in motion in a more positive way! I absolutely love any salads that are topped with fruit, fresh or dried….looks delicious =)
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..WIAW: clearing out the fridge

49 Meredith April 25, 2013 at 9:37 am

Chocolate chip cookies and any ice cream is pure heaven. I know what my dessert will be tonight!
Meredith recently posted..Any holiday is a baking holiday..australian anzac cookies