I’m Fancy

Awesome, awesome dinner was had in the Horan household last night.

And we even had good company to share it with too, thanks to our pals Sarah and Jeff coming over for the evening. As lazy as I feel like I’ve been when it comes to dinners lately, I actually enjoyed taking the effort to actually use all of our real dishes and actually attempting to make things look nice. Sarah even said I’m fancy. 😉

To start, I made a biiiiiig, colorful salad, filled with lettuce, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, carrots, onions, some shredded Mexican cheese, and sweet corn.

What was meant to be just a simple side dish wound up turning out super pretty and super delicious.

For our main course, we had slow-cooker chicken tortilla soup (I used this recipe and followed it almost exactly). Thanks to some prep work that I did on Sunday, this dish was all set and ready to go…all I had to do was toss it in a pot on the stove and let it reheat. AND, thanks to it being able to sit for a few days, it had some incredible flavor. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

I decided I’d also do a little bit of a toppings bar for the evening, which could be used for soup or salad. I included some cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, and tortilla strips…all of which made it into my soup. 😉

I also cooked up a batch of cornbread, but it wasn’t as good as my usual stuff. I ended up using a box mix that I had on hand, and while it wasn’t baaaaad, it wasn’t my favorite.

The four of us spent some time after dinner hanging out and watching the show Duck Dynasty…

NOW, tell me…have any of you ever seen this show?! Jay and I had seen it before because our friends Joe & Kate introduced us to it a while back, but I just can’t handle it. The show is just…I have no words. Crazy? Amusing? Odd? Jeff, however, was getting downright giddy talking about it at dinner, so we turned it on for a little while to see what was happening. Ohhh emmmm geeee.

We also had some dessert after dinner (courtesy of Jeff!) but I didn’t wind up taking any photos. It was, however, a super tasty chocolate pudding pie in a graham cracker crust…I must say, I was quite impressed!

Definitely a fun night had by all. Then again, it’s always a blast when we’re with those two. :)

• Sarah says

I know! Some shows just take it over the edge (hello, Kardashians), but this is a great show for everyone!

I haven’t had tortilla soup in ages! I love it.
    Craving hard now.
    And I’m adoring the big bright salad! So pretty.
    I haven’t heard of the show before actually, I guess my reality shows lie with the housewives 😉 So educational.
    Lisa recently posted..Things I Wonder

2. Whitney says

DD is an excellent show!!!!!! You need to go back and watch prior seasons. It gets addictive. I love that they are Christian and faith is very important to them. A reality show doesn’t have to be raunchy and foul to be a good show. Their ratings are through the roof. :)

I’ve never heard of this show? What is it about? I should just Google it but I’m too lazy haha! I don’t really like boxed cornbread mixes… They tend to me kinda dry/lack flavor.
    Lauren recently posted..Home Sweet Home.

4. Andi says

OMG…put Duck Dynasty on for the first time last night and couldn’t handle watching it. Big fan of reality TV, but wow…that one takes the cake…Had to shut it down!
    Salad looks fab…

I always feel extra fancy bringing out the real dinner plates when I have company over too… I just hate cleaning up after those gatherings 😆 And is it bad that I’ve never even heard of Duck Dynasty? I think I spend too much time online, because my TV watching has definitely gone downhill.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #28 .

6. Krystan says

My husband and I crack up at DD!! I think it takes a couple episodes to get into it, but the phrases are soo funny. I’m with all the people that love how wholesome it is…no swearing, or crazy drama like all the other reality shows and I like that they are Christian. It’s also cool, that for the most part, even though they are billionaires, they don’t live like it, especially the parents. So funny.

7. lauren says

That’s hilarious, we were just introduced to Duck Dynasty on Monday night by our friends. It is ridiculous, but we watched it for quite awhile. LOL.
    And now I’m putting this soup on my menu for next week. I’ve been all about mexican food lately!

I watch Duck Dynasty and I love it! The things they do and say give me the best laughs. They are just good ole’ country boys which is what makes it easy for me to relate and enjoy it. I don’t know about Si tho, lol, he might be a little more odd then the rest.

Duck Dynasty might be the greatest hidden gem ever. Everyone would talk about it but I would never even toy with the idea of watching it. When I came home from Easter my dad was saying how it was one of the funniest shows ever, and after one episode I was hooked! It is HILARIOUS!

My husband got me into Duck Dynasty… I was disturbed over it at first but now love watching it with him. It’s so bizarre and hilarious!

LOVE me some Duck Dynasty! Even though they are in the south, it reminds me of my home town in Northern Michigan. It’s like tuning into my relatives every week!

12. Liz says

Duck Dynasty is great! So funny. Watch the prior seasons and you’ll grow to love the quirky characters!! It’s a good family show!

13. Katie says

I love DD! They are such a cute family..and actually, super witty/smart too (I’ve heard comments in the past calling them inappropriate names to the contrary). They crack me up, I think they’re hysterical!

hahhaa we don’t have a TV so I have no idea what Duck Dynasty is, but it sounds so funky! I feel like I’m so out of tune with media nowadays 😛 And your food looks so delish, I can’t believe how highly reviewed that soup recipe is.
    Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Life, Food, Winner!

Oh my gosh that soup looks delicious!! I have been craving avocado like crazyyy lately, so those pictures are making me drool!

I don’t generally comment much… but that salad looks so bright and happy! Awesome! Glad you had a delicious feast 😉

And in regards to Duck Dynasty… hate it. Most people think it’s the funniest thing ever but I feel like it’s just a waste of time. I do like stupid funny shows…just not that one!
    Trudy recently posted..Virtual Tour