I’m Fancy

by Courtney on April 25, 2013

Awesome, awesome dinner was had in the Horan household last night.

And we even had good company to share it with too, thanks to our pals Sarah and Jeff coming over for the evening. As lazy as I feel like I’ve been when it comes to dinners lately, I actually enjoyed taking the effort to actually use all of our real dishes and actually attempting to make things look nice. Sarah even said I’m fancy. ;)

To start, I made a biiiiiig, colorful salad, filled with lettuce, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, carrots, onions, some shredded Mexican cheese, and sweet corn.

What was meant to be just a simple side dish wound up turning out super pretty and super delicious.

For our main course, we had slow-cooker chicken tortilla soup (I used this recipe and followed it almost exactly). Thanks to some prep work that I did on Sunday, this dish was all set and ready to go…all I had to do was toss it in a pot on the stove and let it reheat. AND, thanks to it being able to sit for a few days, it had some incredible flavor. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

IMG_0162-001

I decided I’d also do a little bit of a toppings bar for the evening, which could be used for soup or salad. I included some cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, and tortilla strips…all of which made it into my soup. ;)

I also cooked up a batch of cornbread, but it wasn’t as good as my usual stuff. I ended up using a box mix that I had on hand, and while it wasn’t baaaaad, it wasn’t my favorite.

The four of us spent some time after dinner hanging out and watching the show Duck Dynasty…

NOW, tell me…have any of you ever seen this show?! Jay and I had seen it before because our friends Joe & Kate introduced us to it a while back, but I just can’t handle it. The show is just…I have no words. Crazy? Amusing? Odd? Jeff, however, was getting downright giddy talking about it at dinner, so we turned it on for a little while to see what was happening. Ohhh emmmm geeee.

We also had some dessert after dinner (courtesy of Jeff!) but I didn’t wind up taking any photos. It was, however, a super tasty chocolate pudding pie in a graham cracker crust…I must say, I was quite impressed!

Definitely a fun night had by all. Then again, it’s always a blast when we’re with those two. :)

1 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes April 25, 2013 at 10:02 am

I LOVE Duck Dynasty!!! My husband and I always watch it. It’s so random and a little odd but really funny and I like how wholesome it is :-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..A serious argument that you can help me win.

2 Sarah April 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I know! Some shows just take it over the edge (hello, Kardashians), but this is a great show for everyone!

3 claire @ live and love to eat April 25, 2013 at 10:04 am

That’s one reality show that my husband and I actually don’t watch!
claire @ live and love to eat recently posted..NYC Eats

4 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 25, 2013 at 10:05 am

I love chicken tortilla soup! It’s one of my favorites. I can’t do Duck Dynasty. I just can’t get behind the celebration of being a redneck!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..WIAW: A Little Twist

5 Lisa April 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

I haven’t had tortilla soup in ages! I love it.
Craving hard now.
And I’m adoring the big bright salad! So pretty.
I haven’t heard of the show before actually, I guess my reality shows lie with the housewives ;) So educational.
Lisa recently posted..Things I Wonder

6 Whitney April 25, 2013 at 10:10 am

DD is an excellent show!!!!!! You need to go back and watch prior seasons. It gets addictive. I love that they are Christian and faith is very important to them. A reality show doesn’t have to be raunchy and foul to be a good show. Their ratings are through the roof. :)

7 Linda Maria April 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

That looks yummy and yes – FANCY!
Linda Maria recently posted..Dinner – part two …..

8 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

I just made chicken tortilla soup for the first time last week and it is fabulous stuff! So tasty.

I actually don’t watch Duck Dynasty, but I’m curious to see an episode just because I’ve heard so much about it.

9 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! April 25, 2013 at 10:12 am

that salad just looks FABULOUS!
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..The Things I Do To Drive Him Wild

10 Erin @Axell's Kitchen April 25, 2013 at 10:16 am

Okay this looks beyond delicious!!!
Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Throwback Thursday: Bangs + Wafer Cookie Sandwiches

11 Ashley @ Life and Fitness April 25, 2013 at 10:16 am

All the colors in that salad do look all fancy ;) I’m the same way when people come over for dinner. I’m like let’s break out the nice dishes and actually use the table instead of the couch for dinner.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Colorado Part 1

12 Lauren April 25, 2013 at 10:27 am

I’ve never heard of this show? What is it about? I should just Google it but I’m too lazy haha! I don’t really like boxed cornbread mixes… They tend to me kinda dry/lack flavor.
Lauren recently posted..Home Sweet Home.

13 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns April 25, 2013 at 10:28 am

I never thought about putting avocados on my chili, I’ll have to try that next time. Mmmm I was thinking about making some cornbread last weekend. Might just have to make some soon, I think it’s a sign :)
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..New Favorites

14 Andi April 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

OMG…put Duck Dynasty on for the first time last night and couldn’t handle watching it. Big fan of reality TV, but wow…that one takes the cake…Had to shut it down!
Salad looks fab…

15 Sherri April 25, 2013 at 10:30 am

My husband LOVES that show. He ordered our daughter (due in Sept) a Duck Commander onesie from the website!

16 Danica @ It's Progression April 25, 2013 at 10:44 am

I’ve seen Duck Dynasty a couple of times (my husband has it one once in a while) and yeah, I’m not sure how to describe it exactly either…it’s definitely strange, and sometimes they act so oppositie of “the norm” that it cracks me up.
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins {recipe}

17 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 25, 2013 at 10:54 am

I always feel extra fancy bringing out the real dinner plates when I have company over too… I just hate cleaning up after those gatherings :lol: And is it bad that I’ve never even heard of Duck Dynasty? I think I spend too much time online, because my TV watching has definitely gone downhill.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #28 .

18 Krystan April 25, 2013 at 10:55 am

My husband and I crack up at DD!! I think it takes a couple episodes to get into it, but the phrases are soo funny. I’m with all the people that love how wholesome it is…no swearing, or crazy drama like all the other reality shows and I like that they are Christian. It’s also cool, that for the most part, even though they are billionaires, they don’t live like it, especially the parents. So funny.

19 lauren April 25, 2013 at 11:01 am

That’s hilarious, we were just introduced to Duck Dynasty on Monday night by our friends. It is ridiculous, but we watched it for quite awhile. LOL.
And now I’m putting this soup on my menu for next week. I’ve been all about mexican food lately!

20 Melissa@ For Love and Travel April 25, 2013 at 11:10 am

How funny, I love Duck Dynasty. That Uncle Si cracks me up that I’m usually the one laughing out so loud I’m crying. We are hooked. Made me want to plan my next trip to Hawaii, for sure.

21 Katie @ Baking and Swimming April 25, 2013 at 11:10 am

I love Duck Dynasty! While it is crazy and eccentric, I think it is hilarious! The is not for everyone though! haha!
Katie @ Baking and Swimming recently posted..Yummy Brownies

22 Suzanne @ Mixing It Up April 25, 2013 at 11:12 am

I have been loving veggies lately and that salad looks Ah-mazing!!!

I have never watched Duck Dynasty but I may have to change that soon. It seems that everyone has good(but crazy!!) things to say about it!!
Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted..Review & Giveaway: Honest Fizz, It’s So-Da-Licious,

23 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat April 25, 2013 at 11:13 am

I’ve never watched Duck Dynasty. I’ll have to check it out sometime! Your dinner looks awesome! So colorful! I like the idea of putting corn in the salad. Yum!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Liebster Award

24 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 25, 2013 at 11:34 am

That salad looks SUPER amazing!! I am loving all of the colors :).
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: April 24, 2013

25 Ashley {The North Carolina Cowgirl} April 25, 2013 at 11:37 am

I watch Duck Dynasty and I love it! The things they do and say give me the best laughs. They are just good ole’ country boys which is what makes it easy for me to relate and enjoy it. I don’t know about Si tho, lol, he might be a little more odd then the rest.

26 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats April 25, 2013 at 11:49 am

I keep hearing about DD but still haven’t seen it! Everyone seems to love it though. Weird. That tortilla soup looks soo good! I might have to try it out this weekend :)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Avocado 6 ways

27 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm

That dinner was pretty fancy! :) I have never heard of Duck Dynasty before. For some reason, Darkwing Duck came to mind at first, lol. Now I’m curious though!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Quinoa & Honey Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough

28 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries April 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Duck Dynasty might be the greatest hidden gem ever. Everyone would talk about it but I would never even toy with the idea of watching it. When I came home from Easter my dad was saying how it was one of the funniest shows ever, and after one episode I was hooked! It is HILARIOUS!

29 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 25, 2013 at 12:20 pm

You are pretty fancy schmancy! ;) That salad looks so good!

Cody looooves Duck Dynasty. I think it’s pretty funny too, but it cracks me up how into it he is.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..God is Good

30 Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Your salad is making me crave a salad with corn. It looks SO GOOD. I don’t think I have access to corn at the moment, so that’s kind of a problem. :P
Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted..Thursday Thoughts #2 + A SUPER DUPER EXTREMELY EXCITING SURPRISE

31 Kim @ Cooking in the City April 25, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I’ve been trying to decide what to make for my friend who’s about to have a baby… I think she would love this recipe. Thanks for the idea! And, I’ve never even heard of Duck Dynasty!
Kim @ Cooking in the City recently posted..Eating Staples

32 raychel April 25, 2013 at 1:04 pm

My husband got me into Duck Dynasty… I was disturbed over it at first but now love watching it with him. It’s so bizarre and hilarious!

33 Shana April 25, 2013 at 1:25 pm

LOVE me some Duck Dynasty! Even though they are in the south, it reminds me of my home town in Northern Michigan. It’s like tuning into my relatives every week!

34 Liz April 25, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Duck Dynasty is great! So funny. Watch the prior seasons and you’ll grow to love the quirky characters!! It’s a good family show!

35 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 25, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Have you tried Trader Joe’s boxed cornbread mix? It’s delish, actually better than many homemade types that I’ve had.
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Happiness is….

36 Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner April 25, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Oh man, I need that salad in my life! Looks so good! Love chicken tortilla soup too! Looks like a great dinner! :)
Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner recently posted..Apple Spice Bread

37 Shel@PeachyPalate April 25, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Love dinners that have lots of components especially if one of them is bread!!!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Deconstructed Sushi

38 Sara @ fitcupcaker April 25, 2013 at 3:03 pm

duck dynasty is so funny, we watch it alot! I love cornbread, but nobody else in my house does so I end up eating it all, so i dont make it that much! I do love it though.

39 Katie April 25, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I love DD! They are such a cute family..and actually, super witty/smart too (I’ve heard comments in the past calling them inappropriate names to the contrary). They crack me up, I think they’re hysterical!

40 Linz @ Itz Linz April 25, 2013 at 3:24 pm

corn bread is the best!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Tropical Granola

41 Brooke @ Running In Heels April 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I LOVE DUCK DYNASTY! In my opinion, season 1 was better because it seemed less staged, but I still love it!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Beach Body Challenge Day 9

42 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 25, 2013 at 4:22 pm

That dinner looks amazing! Haha can I come over? And I’ve never seen that show but I’ve heard a lot of people like it!

43 Amanda @ The Anti Mom April 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm

that salad looks delish! and that soup…..yum!! Duck Dynasty is hysterical…totally scripted but i mean the guys are just a bunch of characters!!
Amanda @ The Anti Mom recently posted..5 People To Avoid While Pregnant

44 Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 25, 2013 at 5:48 pm

hahhaa we don’t have a TV so I have no idea what Duck Dynasty is, but it sounds so funky! I feel like I’m so out of tune with media nowadays :P And your food looks so delish, I can’t believe how highly reviewed that soup recipe is.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Life, Food, Winner!

45 Leigha April 25, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Mmmmm! I wish I would’ve came over lol! I’ve heard about Duck Dynasty but never watched it.
Leigha recently posted..Cooking with Lynn {Failure at its Finest}

46 Liz April 25, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Oh my gosh that soup looks delicious!! I have been craving avocado like crazyyy lately, so those pictures are making me drool!

47 Avery @ SBLW April 25, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Your salad is BEAUTIFUL. I love corn in salads, it’s delicious!

48 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets April 25, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Yum! You definitely cannot go wrong with any sort of Mexican-inspired dish! Always healthy, delicious, colourful (very important heheh) + quick to put together! That corn salad looks like it would fit in perfffeeectly at a summer BBQ ;)
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..guess who’s back, back again (for realsies this time)

49 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 25, 2013 at 10:41 pm

That salad looks incredible and leaves me wondering why I haven’t been putting corn on my taco salads…?!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Thursday Thoughts: Anxiety

50 Aurora@Fitness is Sweet April 26, 2013 at 12:44 am

All that food looks so good, especially the avocado!
Aurora@Fitness is Sweet recently posted..Admit Weekend

51 Bek @ Crave April 26, 2013 at 1:53 am

I’ve never heard of Duck Dynasty? Update me!
Aren’t you guys the social butterflies haha- very fancy :)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Sky Diving!

52 Barbara April 26, 2013 at 6:44 am

Just had to tell you I love your place mats! So pretty!

53 Courtney April 26, 2013 at 8:19 am

Thank you! My mother-in-law got them for us for Easter and I love them – so bright and springy :)

54 Trudy April 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I don’t generally comment much… but that salad looks so bright and happy! Awesome! Glad you had a delicious feast ;)

And in regards to Duck Dynasty… hate it. Most people think it’s the funniest thing ever but I feel like it’s just a waste of time. I do like stupid funny shows…just not that one!
Trudy recently posted..Virtual Tour