WIAW: Motivated & Babymoon is Booked!

Goooood morning! Happy Wednesday to you all. I’ve gotta say…looooove reading all about your May workout goals in the Reebok giveaway post (if you haven’t entered yet, be sure to check it out!). You’re all motivating me a bit more just by reading them…in fact, I actually wound up busting out a quick living room circuit last night in the living room with my weights (and ever-growing body weight), which looked a little something like this:

(15 reps x3 sets of each)

• squats
  • pushups
  • deadlifts
  • overhead tricep presses
  • lunge with bicep curls
  • plie squats
  • lateral shoulder raises

Woweeee. And let me tell you…I was wiped. Workouts are becoming more and more humbling these days…

But hey, I did it! So props to meeeee. ;)

So said workout above actually took place in between both of my dinners last night, so let’s use this perfect segue to get to the good stuff…it’s What I Ate Wednesday Tuesday.

Breakfast

Two pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and banana.

IMG_2016

Always a simple and delicious choice.

Mid-Morning Snack

A pineapple Chobani.

IMG_2020

Again, apparently simple and easy was my motto yesterday morning.

Lunch

Check out thiiiiiiis salad.

IMG_2021

Believe it or not, I actually threw this together yesterday morning before work in about 5 minutes. I hadn’t taken any time on Monday night to prep ANYTHING, but somehow I wound up with this killer combo.

It included romaine, cucumbers, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, avocado, strawberries, dried cranberries, and pecans. And you know what I JUST realized as I was typing this…I totally forgot my feta cheese! Aww man, that would have made it even better. Ahh well.

Post-Lunch Dessert

So, funny story.

IMG_2023

I had to run out on my lunch hour yesterday, but before leaving, I noticed that we had a lunch getting catered for a small group of people from Panera. I got talking with one of my super-sweet co-workers who was setting it up, and started joking with her that I was going to steal one of the cookies from the box. She told me to take one but I said that I couldn’t…HOWEVER, I told her that if it was meant to be, there would be one leftover and she could save it for me.

Turns out, it was meant to be. :)

I started out by telling myself I’d only eat half…

IMG_2024

And that worked for about an hour and a half. But then I realized, umm yeah, who am I kidding?!

And I ate the other half.

IMG_2025

SO delicious. So worth it.

Dinner #1

All day long yesterday I was craving eggs for dinner. I’ve missed not being able to eat them as much as I used to when I was at home, so since I don’t give myself the time to eat them in the mornings, I figured I’d have some for dinner. Jay, on the other hand, wanted leftover pulled pork so while he was heating that up for himself I wound up snagging a couple of bites, cold, right out of the container.

IMG_2028

Then, I ate my eggs and drank my pineapple orange juice.

IMG_2031

For the eggs, I scrambled up two of them and mixed them up with lots of veggies (spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, and onion) and feta cheese.

IMG_2032

It totally hit the spot. Definitely what I needed.

Dinner #2

Since dinner was somewhat light, I did wind up getting hungry again a couple of hours later, so I made myself a mug of cereal with almond milk.

IMG_2034

I actually ate my cereal while Jay and I did a bunch of research for our Babymoon, and we have good news…

We’re heading to Portsmouth, NH!!! :)

We went back and forth on a few different options, but ultimately decided on Portsmouth for a few different reasons:

• We found a couple of hotels at good prices, and we’re actually staying at two hotels for one night each. We realized we had enough points on one of our credit cards to get a free night at one hotel so we went for it.
  • Both hotels are right in the downtown area.
  • Technically, we’ve actually already been to Newport, RI but it was before we were married so it’s not on our adventure map. (I’m starting to think we should add the states we visited pre-marriage though…we’d have like, 4 or 5 more to include!)
  • Where we’re staying is only about 15 minutes away from the Kittery Outlets in Maine, so we’re going to knock TWO states off our list in one weekend.
  • We mayyyy also hit up Quincy Market in Boston on our way back home, too. We’ll see how the weekend is going.

Needless to say, I’m SUPER excited…and we’ll be heading out in just a few short weeks!

That being said, if anyone else has any must-see or must-do things in Portsmouth, please let us know! :)

Comments

1. Leigha says

I want to try that pineapple chobani so bad! Egg scrambles
    Are so yummy. I always realize after I eat something what I could’ve added. Lol. Glad you booked your baby moon!!

2. Lilly says

Good choice, I LOVE Portsmouth!! Such a cute town. I’ve only ever been ther in the winter (the hunney’s fam lives in Boston so we’ve gone there for day trips when in Boston over the holidays), so I’m excited to see some warm weather pics. Have fun!

3. Emily says

So excited for you guys and your trip! My boyfriend and I went up there a few months ago and it was lovely. I know this isn’t technically in Portsmith, but definitely take the time to go to Stonewall Kitchen in York, Maine (the place Williams Sonoma gets all its amazing foods from). The company store there is fantastic and the cafe is unreal. Probably the best lunch I’ve had all year. http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/yorkstore.html. And when you’re up there, head to Nubble Lighthouse http://nubblelight.org/. We went and saw Nubble and walked on the beach, then went to lunch at Stonewall Kitchen.

Have a fantastic time!

Yay! I grew up in NH and I love going back to Portsmouth when we visit. The Portsmouth Brewery is a great place to grab some lunch! Also, Annabelle’s Natural Ice Cream is a fantastic shop with some amazing flavors.

Great plan to stop at the Kittery outlets! Just a word of warning – there aren’t many food options around the outlets aside from a Starbucks and a Weathervane Restaurant (a chain seafood restaurant that is worth passing), so I would suggest bringing snacks for when you’re there.

Have a fantastic trip!!
    Meghan recently posted..Happy birthday to me…

5. Caroline says

I LIVE IN PORTSMOUTH!!! It’s so nice this time of year! Things I could recommend downtown… Annabelle’s ice cream, definitely eat at one of the restaurants overlooking the water – The Oar House, Old Ferry Landing and the River House are all good choices. If you’re looking for a more casual restaurant the Portsmouth Brewery and The Rusty Hammer are great choices. As for things to do, the Portsmouth Harbor Cruises are fun. Portsmouth is very historical and there’s many historical sites you can visit if you’re in to that – definitely walk around Strawberry Banke, the old houses are ADORABLE.

Now that salad is legit! And I’ve honestly never been able to understand how people can manage only eating half a cookie… I might be able to manage it for a little while, but I’m pretty sure it would be whispering sweet nothings in my ear until I gave in and finished it off. And cold leftovers… is it strange that that’s my favorite way to eat them?
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … bites, licks, tastes .

7. Katie says

Portsmouth is so great! My boyfriend lives near by, so I just visited during February. You’re going to have a great time… When we visited Boston, we went to Quincy Market and then saw Blue Man Group. If you’ve never seen the show and have the time to go, I defintelyyyy suggest it!

Yay!! So happy you guys picked a spot for a babymoon. We ended up in parts of NH and RI for our Honeymoon (long story and it was totally unplanned) but it is so gorgeous there! Enjoy it girl! :)

9. Sam says

You should definitely try to go to When Pigs Fly Pizzeria for lunch one day! It’s in Kittery and everything is SO GOOD there! Have fun!

10. Shauna says

You MUST go to The Friendly Toast (http://www.thefriendlytoast.net/) for breakfast. It is very unique/quirky and their food is amazing. I have definitely made the 45min drive to Portsmouth for their restaurant alone. The Flatbread Co. (http://www.flatbreadcompany.com/) is also great for pizzas made from organic/local ingredients in a lively yet cozy atmosphere. You’ll have a great time..Portsmouth is a fun spot! Also, I second the suggestion to head up to York for Stonewall Kitchen. Their headquarters is a lot of fun…samples galore! :) Also, if you are going to be in Kittery, When Pigs Fly Bakery Co. has a restaurant (http://www.sendbread.com/pizza.php) that is awesome. They just opened last year and they have awesome wood-fired pizzas, great beer selection, and delicious apps/desserts. I haven’t had anything there that I disliked. They also have their factory store adjoining the restaurant and its another fun place to sample really interesting and delicious bread and baked goods. Good place to grab some eats during or after all that shopping!

I don’t think I’ve ever had pulled pork, but it looks so good!! I don’t know why I’ve never had it! Everytime I go into Panera’s their cookies always look so good, it’s finally good to know that they are as good as they look lol. Woohoo!!! NH sounds like fun :)
    Chelsea @ GlitterAndSweat recently posted..Remember This…..

I always try to eat half of a baked good and five minutes after eat it I look like the cookie monster because I’m pretty sure “nom nom nom” comes out of my mouth while I devour the rest. lol. It’s worth a try.

You got one night free! I love credit card perks!
    Lauren recently posted..Piggly Wiggly Penpal!

13. Traci says

Sounds fun! One of my college friends used to live in Portsmouth- such a cute area. I remember eating at Agave Mexican bistro and Portsmouth Baking Co. (for breakfast), and both were fantastic! I believe Agave is right near the waterfront, too. We never got a chance to go (and I know you can’t partake!) but you guys would probably enjoy Portsmouth Brewery too! We also ended up taking a daytrip into Maine and checked out Portland for the day.

14. Natalie says

If you like Mexican food – go to Agave, and if you love seafood go to Jumpin Jay’s Fish Cafe!!! Great food, a little more expensive. Also, the decks are a great place for apps and drinks (even though that won’t be for you obviously!) they overlook the water and a bunch of restaurants have their decks open. It’s a fun place to be and see. Downtown area is really cute and fun to walk around in on a nice day.

I went to school at UNH so I’m a big fan of the Portsmouth area. There are some nice areas to hike about an hour drive from there too if you want something more outdoorsy!!

15. Jenny says

Hi Courtney,

I don’t usually comment much but since I live in Newburyport, MA which is less than 30 min away from Portsmouth I had to comment and let you know of a few fun things in the area. First off, I’m biased but Newburyport is simply beautiful and TOTALLY worth visiting while you’re in area. Come for the afternoon to walk along the harbor (start at the Maritime Museum and follow the water through the marina and under the bridge to the parks) and downtown where the beautiful old houses are. Get froyo or ice cream in the center of downtown and the stay for dinner (some favs are Michael’s Harborside, Agave Mexican, Brown Sugar Thai, Jewel in the Crown, Ceia, and Brine.) We also have a great coffee shop down in the marina called Plum Island coffee roasters with waterfront seating. Seriously it’s beeeeeeeautiful here and so worth the trip.

In Portsmouth, I highly recommend the Breaking New Grounds Coffee shop in the center of town. Great patio for people watching.

Also if it’s warm enough to visit the beach (if it’s it’s not warm enough to swim). The best beaches are Salisbury, MA state beach and Plum Island Parker River Refuge (Plum Island is half Newburyport and half Newbury).

I’ve only lived in this area for 1.5 years but I simply love the area and refuse to move because it’s soo lovely!

16. Jessica Z says

My workout goal for the month of May is to get moving at least once a day, whether it is taking a walk during lunch or a complete class of antigravity aerial yoga!

17. Christine says

New Hampshire and Maine are both states that sell their liquor at much lower prices than NY. They have state liquor stores right off the highway (91? I think? whatever you take to get there). They are also open on Sundays, and I believe there is no tax. You should definitely check it out….although I guess you won’t be able to imbibe for a few more months….and there is one in the rotary off exit 5 or 6 in Portsmouth…..but if you go to Kittery, you will pass the one in Maine right on the highway…you will see it on your way home…..

18. Judith says

My workout goal for the month of May is to start attending Pilates class 3 times a week to get swimsuit ready :)

19. JenA says

You have to, have to, have to try Warrens lobster house in Kittery for dinner!!
    11 Water St Kittery, ME 03904
    (207) 439-1630

Love those salad combinations, but sadly I have decided not to eat the processed sugar from that very tasty looking Panera cookie :). Thanks for posting this!

Definitely was meant to be with the cookie. And half wouldn’t have lasted the entire day by me. I wouldn’t have even tried to save some of it though! :)

Yay for booking the trip! Excited for you – you’ll have a great time!

22. Ashley says

If you are looking for an easy casual lunch the works bakery cafe is so good! Best sandwich I’ve ever had–incredibly fresh! Like panera but wayyy better.

23. Alaina says

First off, Chobani low fat pineapple is the bomb! Definitely one of the best Chobani flavors yet! Also, that egg scramble looks great! As silly as it sounds, I generally prefer eggs with veggies for a dinner rather than eggs for breakfast!

I LOVE these leggings! Right now my fitness goals are to complete the 30 Day Shred I’ve been doing, I’m currently on level 2 and run a mile and half without stopping. I know these are pretty easy goals for some but they are challenges for me and that’s what counts. :)

I’m graduating college and without my school’s gym membership I’m scared working out wont be as convenient, my goal is to run outside more and stick to my routine!

Glad you settled on Portsmouth. That was were my husband and I went on our first road trip together back in 2007 when we first started dating! We also did some shopping at the Kittery Outlets. I grew up in New Brunswick, Canada, so usually we only went to Freeport as it’s closer. However, I always liked Kittery a lot more. Less hectic.
    However, the best outlet shopping I’ve done in the area was at Wrentham (outside of Boston).
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Workout Wednesday (05/01/13)

27. Ashley says

Be sure to go to When Pigs Fly Bakery. They have one in Portsmith NH and one in Kittery that’s connected to their pizzeria. Such GOOOD food and the bread is amazing!! You have to report back if ya go!

So glad you guys get to go on a babymoon! I have never been to Portsmouth but am sure you will find lots of fun things to do. Our nursery turned into a huge project (lots of $$$) so no traveling before our little one, but there will be lots of time for that in the future as well. Hope you have a fun, relaxing time. :)
    Eryn @ Blond Minded Brunette recently posted..Spring Outdoor Projects

We have an adventure map sort of thing, too – our life goal together is to hit up all 50 states. We’ve knocked out about 20 already I think! Your adventure map makes me want to get an actual map and put little flags in all of the states we’ve been to!
    Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..WIAW: drink up

30. Liz says

I’m from the seacoast area and now live in Troy. Portsmouth kind of reminds me of what Troy could be.. same kind of buildings same kind of businesses, just more of it you know? It is really nice and they have cute little shops and a nice park by the river that has beautiful gardens (prescott park). I would venture up to York (where i am from) to see the lighthouse, there are more beaches, brown’s ice cream, stonewall kitchen like others had mentioned. There are a ton of outlets in kittery and obviously a lot that are not in lee like gymboree (i think there isn’t one in lee) and crate and barrel outlet and loft outlet too!!!

• liz says

yes my husband is from here and has one of those nice cushy municipal jobs with a pension, we were in maine a couple of weekends ago for my babys christening and i begged him to move.. he said in 15 years :(.

31. Megan says

Very nice choice, sometime when you come to Maine again, you should check out all of the lakes we have to offer as well, as Downeast…Have a great time on the babymoon, bring lots of money for outlet shopping!

32. Robin D says

The River House has awesome food and right on the water! Portsmouth Gas Light Co. is a cute restaurant with a nice patio! Cava Tapas & Wine Bar is tucked down a side street but looked divine but we didnt make it in! Kittery and York are just a short trip away! Make sure to catch a sunset on the beach! Have fun!

33. Julie says

I’m so jealous! I used to live in Portsmouth about ten years ago. Definitely check out Stonewall Kitchen in Maine. You might want to check their website, they offer cooking classes which are always fun too. Some of my faves in Portsmouth were The Friendly Toast, Portsmouth Brewing Co, Flatbread Co., Coat of Arms Pub and anything out on the decks!

Portsmouth was one of my cities growing up! You’ll love it. If it’s nice weather, have lunch on the patio at “The Oar House”, it overlooks the harbour. Also, “popvers” is delicious for breakfast/lunch/brunch.”The Library” is great for lunch or dinner. Just call for a reservation! The shops are so fun to walk in and out of. Have a blast!
    Meredith recently posted..Three things thursday

35. Beth says

Oh I should have read this post before I posted on an old one telling you to go to Portsmouth! I know it’s postponed but it’s an adorable little town! I grew up near there and it’s a fabulous place to visit. If you/Jay like fried clams then make sure you go to Bobs Clam Hut in Kittery, ME (it’s about a 5 minute drive from Portsmouth), and even if you don’t they’ll have something good :) Have a great time!