The Perfect Lunch Hour

You want to know what’s just suuuuper awesome?

Spending your lunch hour outside, under a tree, on a blanket, in sunny 70 degree weather. Seriously…it doesn’t get much better than that.

lunch

I left the house yesterday morning knowing full well that I wanted to be able to get outside on my lunch hour, so I grabbed a book for some reading material and spent my time both reading and eating on our gorgeous Monday we had here.

On the menu for lunch? A big, delicious salad.

salad

On Sunday, I pre-prepped two salad bases with lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, and onions. Then yesterday morning (and today, actually) I topped them off with some fresh avocado, grilled chicken (we grilled up extra on Sunday), dried cranberries, and feta cheese. Light, refreshing, and deeeeee-licious on a sunny afternoon.

Once my lunch hour was over, I headed back in to work and immediately needed something sweet. Lately, it seems like one of my biggest cravings is fruity sweets, so when I saw a co-worker of mine had some Starbursts hanging out in her office, I totally snagged some. AND, imagine my delight when I opened up the package to find my two favorite flavors.

starbursts

It was meant to be. :)

*****

Last night was the official first co-ed softball game of the season, so now that both of Jay’s teams are in full swing, that means one thing: dinners around here are going to start to get a little boring.

But you know, I’m cool with that. I really haven’t been in the mood to be spending a whole lot of time in the kitchen anyways, and I can easily be satisfied by something as simple as a sandwich…so that’s exactly what I did last night.

sandwich

I made myself THE most delicious turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with a little mayo, a little honey mustard, provolone cheese, lettuce, and tomato. I know they say you should stay away from lunch meat while you’re pregnant, but after asking two of my doctors and both of them giving me the go-ahead, I’m totally cool with it. I’m still picky about what kinds I eat though, and right now I’m eating the Applegate roasted turkey (nitrite and antibiotic free) which is pretty darn delicious.

After scarfing down my sandwich, I headed out to the softball game, and I’ll admit…as happy as I am to be there cheering my team on, it reeeeally just isn’t the same watching from the bleachers. I just want to be out there playing! Soon enough though, I know…I’ll just have to remain on the DL for this season. ;)

**FYI: The Baby Tooth page was updated this morning!

Can’t think of any good questions this morning sooooo, have a great Tuesday everyone!

Comments

I spent my Lunch hour outside too. It’s so blissful to actually get to eat outside without freezing. I just wish bugs didn’t exist since they seem to throw me off of wanting to eat outside;)
    That salad looks delicious!
    Lisa recently posted..Feel Good Things

2. Annie says

How do you like The Happiest Baby on The Block? I’ve been going back and forth trying to decide if I want to buy it or not! I’m due in 3 weeks and my work load has gotten smaller and smaller, so I’m looking for a book to read during my down time!

I spent about three hours last Thursday at the Boston Commons just enjoying the beautiful weather outside underneath a tree! There’s nothing better than sitting outdoors on a beautiful day!!
    Sara recently posted..New England? New Woman.

One of my pregnancy cravings is lunch meat sandwiches so I have no stayed away at all! I make sure buy good quality meat and know its okay. If people can eat McD’s when pregnant I am sure quality lunch meat here and there is a-okay :)

There’s definitely nothing better than being able to escape the office for a while and heading outside to enjoy a beautiful day. It’s -finally- starting to feel like spring around here, and I swear there’s something about eating outside that just makes food taste so much better. Unless it’s the pink and red Starbursts… those taste good anywhere.

Happy Tuesday!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... the starbucks diet .

I have never heard of lunch meat being bad for you when you’re pregnant. It surprises me! I absolutely love sandwhiches with dijon mustard, provolone cheese, and tomato. They are SO good in the summer. Have a great Tuesday! You’ll be back to playing softball soon enough ;-)
    Lauren recently posted..Lets Get Factual.

7. Krystan says

My doctor’s said the same thing…they just said its like tuna and if you have it once in a while, there is such a low chance of actually getting the bacteria. I was sooo happy cuz I was craving lunch meat bad, lol. You look great and it’s amazing how quickly July is approaching!

• Courtney says

Not many…I’m reading this one, which I really do like so far. I started The Baby Whisperer but stopped because I feel like it’ll be more beneficial once the baby is here. I did read “Belly Laughs” by Jenny McCarthy which was hilarious though, and I’d highly recommend that one!

• says

Ashley- how old is your little guy? I’m dealing with an almost-12 week old who only sleeps 4 hours on a ‘good night’. We’re exhausted over here! I’m not big on self-help books, but I’ve been recommended Karp’s book too. However, everyone who recommends it has babies who are formula fed. I’m wondering if breast milk babies just sleep a whole lot less? Ahhh! Sooo sleepy!
      Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Cacao Protein Truffles and a Super Foods Review

• says

Hey Kelly! Our boy is almost 6 weeks old. I breastfeed him, and he still slept that long so I would definitely recommend it! We do a bedtime routine and then implement Karp’s “S’s” – swaddle tightly (arms down!), shusshing (white noise machine), swing (he sleeps in it right now), and suck (pacifier only if he gets fussy). I think Karp’s book makes a lot of sense and is very realistic. Obviously it could change any day here for us, but I’m savoring it while it lasts! Best of luck to you!
        Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..One Word Wednesday

Your salad and sandwich both look delicious! Sometimes a simple cold sandwich is the perfect summertime dinner. I always love to fill my sandwiches with layers of meat cheese, tomatoes, avocado and lettuce. My stepfamily from englad makes fun of me because to them a sandwich is one slice of sandwich meat and butter, nothing else.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..Doodle Birthday

Love getting outside to eat during the day for a break when the weather is good. We’ve had an amazing 10 days (exactly!) of warm weather and sunshine, 20degrees for Ireland is damn good but the rain is on the way back tomorrow :(
    Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..For the love of desserts

Honestly it made me soooo mad when I was pregnant and told to stay away from deli turkey and soft cheeses! I had a very old school PA who I would see sometimes and she didn’t get that it’s unpasteurized cheeses that you’re supposed to stay away from and even at that I know many women from NYC who used to eat only unpasteurized cow’s milk and cheeses since that was the purist form. I have a friend who is pregnant now and said to stay away from pepperoni because of the nitrates! What!? I guess just know the source of where your food is coming from (ie don’t eat food from food carts in Mexico…although no one should be eating that food :)). My PA even told me to “STOP RUNNING” because it would give the baby head trauma!!? Again, WHAT!?

What a great idea! I need to plan on sitting outside during my break sometime SOON! Yesterday I went home for lunch because I accidentally left my lunch at home (I live a whole 7 minutes from work!) It was so great! When I stay at work, I am so tempted to work through lunch, but I NEED a break in my day like that :)
    Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Bring on the Birthdays