The Perfect Lunch Hour

by Courtney on May 7, 2013

You want to know what’s just suuuuper awesome?

Spending your lunch hour outside, under a tree, on a blanket, in sunny 70 degree weather. Seriously…it doesn’t get much better than that.

lunch

I left the house yesterday morning knowing full well that I wanted to be able to get outside on my lunch hour, so I grabbed a book for some reading material and spent my time both reading and eating on our gorgeous Monday we had here.

On the menu for lunch? A big, delicious salad.

salad

On Sunday, I pre-prepped two salad bases with lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, and onions. Then yesterday morning (and today, actually) I topped them off with some fresh avocado, grilled chicken (we grilled up extra on Sunday), dried cranberries, and feta cheese. Light, refreshing, and deeeeee-licious on a sunny afternoon.

Once my lunch hour was over, I headed back in to work and immediately needed something sweet. Lately, it seems like one of my biggest cravings is fruity sweets, so when I saw a co-worker of mine had some Starbursts hanging out in her office, I totally snagged some. AND, imagine my delight when I opened up the package to find my two favorite flavors.

starbursts

It was meant to be. :)

*****

Last night was the official first co-ed softball game of the season, so now that both of Jay’s teams are in full swing, that means one thing: dinners around here are going to start to get a little boring.

But you know, I’m cool with that. I really haven’t been in the mood to be spending a whole lot of time in the kitchen anyways, and I can easily be satisfied by something as simple as a sandwich…so that’s exactly what I did last night.

sandwich

I made myself THE most delicious turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with a little mayo, a little honey mustard, provolone cheese, lettuce, and tomato. I know they say you should stay away from lunch meat while you’re pregnant, but after asking two of my doctors and both of them giving me the go-ahead, I’m totally cool with it. I’m still picky about what kinds I eat though, and right now I’m eating the Applegate roasted turkey (nitrite and antibiotic free) which is pretty darn delicious.

After scarfing down my sandwich, I headed out to the softball game, and I’ll admit…as happy as I am to be there cheering my team on, it reeeeally just isn’t the same watching from the bleachers. I just want to be out there playing! Soon enough though, I know…I’ll just have to remain on the DL for this season. ;)

**FYI: The Baby Tooth page was updated this morning!

Can’t think of any good questions this morning sooooo, have a great Tuesday everyone!

1 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle May 7, 2013 at 9:34 am

I agree, it doesn’t get much better! That salad looks SO good and those are my favorite colored Starburst as well :)!
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..Your Fave Fitness Reads?

2 Lisa May 7, 2013 at 9:35 am

I spent my Lunch hour outside too. It’s so blissful to actually get to eat outside without freezing. I just wish bugs didn’t exist since they seem to throw me off of wanting to eat outside;)
That salad looks delicious!
Lisa recently posted..Feel Good Things

3 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog May 7, 2013 at 9:38 am

What a great way to spend your lunch hour! You’re inspiring me – perhaps I’ll do the same today :-) My boyfriend plays softball as well – he takes it very seriously! I, on the other hand, am very happy viewing from the bleachers!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Huevos Rancheros with a Side of Cupcakes and Romance

4 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health May 7, 2013 at 9:39 am

Looks like a perfect way to spend your lunch hour. I don’t eat meat, but if I did I would choose Applegate because they support sustainable practices which seem so much healthier than your typical factory farm.
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Hiking Big Basin Redwoods State Park

5 Annie May 7, 2013 at 9:44 am

How do you like The Happiest Baby on The Block? I’ve been going back and forth trying to decide if I want to buy it or not! I’m due in 3 weeks and my work load has gotten smaller and smaller, so I’m looking for a book to read during my down time!

6 Ashlee@HisnHers May 7, 2013 at 9:44 am

I love hanging out outside during my lunch break! I used to always workout outside at lunch before I got my gym membership. It sure makes the day fly by!
Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted..Healthier Tofu Pad Thai

7 Ashley @ Life and Fitness May 7, 2013 at 9:49 am

I love having impromptu picnics once the weather warms up. After being cooped up all winter, I’m more then ready to get outside!
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Things College Has Taught Me

8 Sara May 7, 2013 at 9:50 am

I spent about three hours last Thursday at the Boston Commons just enjoying the beautiful weather outside underneath a tree! There’s nothing better than sitting outdoors on a beautiful day!!
Sara recently posted..New England? New Woman.

9 Cait @CakesandBeans May 7, 2013 at 9:52 am

Wow I am now craving a turkey sandwich and some mustard! sometimes simple and easy dinners are the way to go!!! :)

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human May 7, 2013 at 9:53 am

What a great way to relax and get in some Vitamin D during your day! I bet it made the afternoon go by a little bit easier.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Sleeping Under The Stars

11 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 7, 2013 at 9:56 am

A simple sandwich can be so good! Trader Joe’s sandwich turkey is really good too and is nitrate and antibiotic free.
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Two Ingredient Cookies, Three Ways

12 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 7, 2013 at 9:59 am

That sounds like an amazing way to spend your lunch hour! I cannot wait until we start getting consistently nice weather!

And the pink Starbursts are most definitely the best! :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Homemade Kale Chips

13 Lindsey May 7, 2013 at 10:00 am

One of my pregnancy cravings is lunch meat sandwiches so I have no stayed away at all! I make sure buy good quality meat and know its okay. If people can eat McD’s when pregnant I am sure quality lunch meat here and there is a-okay :)

14 Marielle May 7, 2013 at 10:02 am

Sounds very perfect and relaxing! Enjoy your Tuesday!

15 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 7, 2013 at 10:05 am

That does sound like the BEST lunch hour. On those beautiful days, sometimes I go sit in the park near my work and read a book during lunch. It’s sooooo relaxing! I love it!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..All Hail Granola Bars

16 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 7, 2013 at 10:11 am

There’s definitely nothing better than being able to escape the office for a while and heading outside to enjoy a beautiful day. It’s -finally- starting to feel like spring around here, and I swear there’s something about eating outside that just makes food taste so much better. Unless it’s the pink and red Starbursts… those taste good anywhere.

Happy Tuesday!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... the starbucks diet .

17 Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 7, 2013 at 10:17 am

Taking a lunch break outside is always a welcome change! Me and a few coworkers have been eating outside lately too and it’s fabulous!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Weekend Happenings and Why I’m not Ready for a Half-Marathon

18 Lauren May 7, 2013 at 10:23 am

I have never heard of lunch meat being bad for you when you’re pregnant. It surprises me! I absolutely love sandwhiches with dijon mustard, provolone cheese, and tomato. They are SO good in the summer. Have a great Tuesday! You’ll be back to playing softball soon enough ;-)
Lauren recently posted..Lets Get Factual.

19 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns May 7, 2013 at 10:34 am

What a great idea to eat outside!! Makes me want to do that. Hormel is also a good brand of lunch meat as well, it has no preservatives whatsoever!
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Weekend Recap

20 Christine@ Apple of My Eye May 7, 2013 at 11:04 am

That salad looks so good! It must have been so nice to take your lunch out in the sun, what a great de-stressor!

21 Krystan May 7, 2013 at 11:22 am

My doctor’s said the same thing…they just said its like tuna and if you have it once in a while, there is such a low chance of actually getting the bacteria. I was sooo happy cuz I was craving lunch meat bad, lol. You look great and it’s amazing how quickly July is approaching!

22 Heather May 7, 2013 at 11:38 am

I would love to know which pregnancy/baby books you’ve read so far and recommend.

23 Courtney May 7, 2013 at 11:43 am

Not many…I’m reading this one, which I really do like so far. I started The Baby Whisperer but stopped because I feel like it’ll be more beneficial once the baby is here. I did read “Belly Laughs” by Jenny McCarthy which was hilarious though, and I’d highly recommend that one!

24 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 7, 2013 at 11:45 am

That does sound like a pretty great lunch hour! And can I just say that I SWEAR by that book?! We’ve followed Karp’s 5 S’s and his sleep guidelines to a “T” this week and Hunter has been sleeping 6 hours in a row! Best book for sure.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Easy Salsa Chicken

25 Kelly @ Femme Fitale May 8, 2013 at 2:03 am

Ashley- how old is your little guy? I’m dealing with an almost-12 week old who only sleeps 4 hours on a ‘good night’. We’re exhausted over here! I’m not big on self-help books, but I’ve been recommended Karp’s book too. However, everyone who recommends it has babies who are formula fed. I’m wondering if breast milk babies just sleep a whole lot less? Ahhh! Sooo sleepy!
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Cacao Protein Truffles and a Super Foods Review

26 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 8, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Hey Kelly! Our boy is almost 6 weeks old. I breastfeed him, and he still slept that long so I would definitely recommend it! We do a bedtime routine and then implement Karp’s “S’s” – swaddle tightly (arms down!), shusshing (white noise machine), swing (he sleeps in it right now), and suck (pacifier only if he gets fussy). I think Karp’s book makes a lot of sense and is very realistic. Obviously it could change any day here for us, but I’m savoring it while it lasts! Best of luck to you!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..One Word Wednesday

27 Sara @ fitcupcaker May 7, 2013 at 11:59 am

I wish I could eat outside, but its raining cats and dogs around here :( NO fun, I want some sunshine in my life!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Benefits Of Fish Oil

28 Annette@FitnessPerks May 7, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I love being outside on breaks!!! It’s the best. Love your skirt too!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..17 Weeks {Gender Reveal!}

29 Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me May 7, 2013 at 12:34 pm

pink and red are the best flavors! and i love your nail polish ;)
Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me recently posted..Things I’m Loving Tuesday- May 7th Edition

30 Brooke @ Running In Heels May 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm

What a perfect day!!
I can’t get enough of being outside now that it’s finally warm here in Wisconsin!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Taco Fest and Does This Count?

31 Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Your salad and sandwich both look delicious! Sometimes a simple cold sandwich is the perfect summertime dinner. I always love to fill my sandwiches with layers of meat cheese, tomatoes, avocado and lettuce. My stepfamily from englad makes fun of me because to them a sandwich is one slice of sandwich meat and butter, nothing else.
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..Doodle Birthday

32 Eryn @ Blond Minded Brunette May 7, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Lunch outside looks amazing! I love to take little strolls outside on my lunches as well, it breaks up the days and adds variety. I’m with you on sitting out on summer sports. I’m missing riding my horse this year around. At 28 weeks I know it’s a no can do, but I still miss it!
Eryn @ Blond Minded Brunette recently posted..It’s Officially Summer When . . .

33 Shel@PeachyPalate May 7, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Love getting outside to eat during the day for a break when the weather is good. We’ve had an amazing 10 days (exactly!) of warm weather and sunshine, 20degrees for Ireland is damn good but the rain is on the way back tomorrow :(
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..For the love of desserts

34 Lindsey May 7, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Honestly it made me soooo mad when I was pregnant and told to stay away from deli turkey and soft cheeses! I had a very old school PA who I would see sometimes and she didn’t get that it’s unpasteurized cheeses that you’re supposed to stay away from and even at that I know many women from NYC who used to eat only unpasteurized cow’s milk and cheeses since that was the purist form. I have a friend who is pregnant now and said to stay away from pepperoni because of the nitrates! What!? I guess just know the source of where your food is coming from (ie don’t eat food from food carts in Mexico…although no one should be eating that food :)). My PA even told me to “STOP RUNNING” because it would give the baby head trauma!!? Again, WHAT!?

35 Leigha May 7, 2013 at 7:21 pm

It was so beautiful today! That turkey sandwich looks absolutely delicious. Simple is the way for me. And that salad… I waant!
Leigha recently posted..All day long

36 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! May 7, 2013 at 7:27 pm

My husband is at his work softball game right now! He’s such a kid when it comes to all of his sports. He plays pick-up basketball twice a week, softball, and just finished flag football. He cracks me up!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..25-20-15-10-5 Workout Challenge

37 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 7, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Just FYI, I found that book to be super helpful. Even if your baby isn’t colicky, the 5 S’s come in handy to help soothe the baby and/or put the baby to sleep! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

38 Miranda @ Miranda Runs May 7, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Pink + red starbursts are the best!
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..Operation: Prom Dress Week 5 Recap + Week 6

39 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 7, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I start to go for simpler dinners in the summer too…but that’s mainly just because when it gets hot I don’t want to go anywhere near the stove! Cannot go wrong with a simple sandwich for dinner.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The New Man in My Life.

40 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen May 8, 2013 at 5:37 am

What a great idea! I need to plan on sitting outside during my break sometime SOON! Yesterday I went home for lunch because I accidentally left my lunch at home (I live a whole 7 minutes from work!) It was so great! When I stay at work, I am so tempted to work through lunch, but I NEED a break in my day like that :)
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Bring on the Birthdays

41 Amanda @ A Latte Learn May 9, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I bet you don’t miss teacher lunch breaks at all after that relaxing meal! ;)
Amanda @ A Latte Learn recently posted..The Newest Littles