WIAW: Good News

I got some great news yesterday…I passed my glucose test! WOOT WOOT!

Everyone I talked to was telling me that I’d probably have at least a little inkling if I thought something was up, and since I’ve really been feeling great, I was hoping that was a good sign. The nurse told me the test looked “perfect,” so now that’s just one less thing to worry about. Gotta love that.

Sooooo, here we are. Another WIAW already. Yesterday included a pretty good mix of some pretty awesome food. I’d like to say it was fairly balanced…we’ll see what you guys think?

Breakfast

A vanilla Chobani with fresh strawberries and a mix of Honey Nut Cheerios and Quaker Oatmeal Squares.

IMG_2089

Nothin’ like a good yogurt mess on a warm morning to start the day!

IMG_2091

Mid-Morning Snack

A piece of banana bread. Have I mentioned this yet? I can’t remember…anywho, I made this recipe (minus the chocolate chips) on Sunday and have been enjoying a slice every morning so far this week.

IMG_2094

I think that recipe is, by far, my favorite out of all of my banana bread recipes.

Lunch

Yesterday’s lunch wound up being a little different than I had anticipated. I originally brought a salad with me, but then I remembered that I was having lunch catered here for our sales team…and then I remembered that I ordered pulled pork.

And I immediately changed my plans for that salad.

IMG_2095

Actually, my plan was to just take a small amount of the pulled pork (which I did, as you can tell) and a roll, and then eat my salad a little later when I was hungry again. Well, the pork wound up holding me over way longer than I expected, so I nixed the idea of the salad…for a little while. ;)

IMG_2096

After I quickly ate my pulled pork, I headed back outside on my blanket and enjoyed some reading in the sunshine while it was still here.

IMG_2098

It was a warm one, but absolutely beautiful.

Mid-Afternoon Snacks

Around 3:45ish I started getting hungry again, but I knew it was too late to dig into my salad since I’d be eating dinner early. So instead, I had a couple of snacks to tide me over including some fresh cantaloupe…

IMG_2099

(with a side of baby bump) ;)

and some Wasa crisp crackers with peanut butter (x3).

Dinner

Almost immediately after I got home from work, Jay and I had to head out the door for our breastfeeding class. It was at this point that I was incredibly happy with my decision to hold off on my salad from earlier…it was all ready to go!

And thankfully, Jay drove, so I could eat it on the way.

The breastfeeding class itself went very well. I’m not sure exactly what Jay was expecting, but I don’t think he was expecting to see so many photos of naked boobs. ;) Aside from that, I found the class to be very informative and helpful, and I’m pretty sure he did too. There were a lot of basic things that I just hadn’t been aware of up until this point, so I definitely left feeling a little more prepared in that department.

Dessert

By the time we got home a few hours later, it was just about time to watch New Girl and both of us were craving a little something sweet…so we finished off the rest of our rainbow sherbet while watching the show.

Chelsey seems to think I’m weird for putting chocolate chips on my sherbet. I say no WAY. It’s the perfect way to get a little bit of fruity and chocolate all in one.

On a different, somewhat of a downer note, Jay and I are thinking about nixing our Babymoon this weekend. We’ve been checking the weather all week long, and right now Portsmouth just is not looking very good for when we’d be there on Saturday and Sunday…

weather

I want to go in the worst way, but since most of what we want to do would be outside, I really don’t know how enjoyable it would be to be battling winds and rain the whole time? We’d hate to go, spend the money, and be stuck bolting from store to store to get out of the weather. But on the other hand…I’d hate to NOT go and have it wind up being not so bad. Plus, I don’t think we’ll have any other opportunities to go before the babe arrives.

Sooooo, we’re feeling a bit stuck at the moment. Hopefully the weather will just make a drastic change one way or the other for us to make our decision easier. Either way, I’m pretty sure we have to decide by today so we don’t get charged for our reservations. I guess we’ll have to see what happens!

What do you think…brave it and go, or stay back and figure out a different type of “babymoon” at home? :)

Comments

1. Becky says

Yay on the glucose test. One thing I’d recommend: Find out what the normative data they use are, and what your exact scores were. I have it saved from my pregnancy and I plan to use the numbers again as reference next time around. (I failed the 1 hour test by 1 measly point! Then after the 3 hour test, my scores were SO far below the thresholds it was laughable that they made me do the test.) Next time, if I’m 1 point over on the 1 hour, I’m going to decline going through the 3 hour torture test.

Portsmouth is WAY better when you can be outside. If you guys can re-schedule, I would. You won’t regret it!

haha i’ve got to agree with chelsey on this one… chocolate chips in your sherbert?! weirdo. ;) in the most loving way! i just got back from a bachelorette party in nashville and it torrential downpoured the entire way and made a four and a half hour trip take SEVEN hours… kind of miserable, not gonna lie..
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Nashville Eats

Putting chocolate chips on sherbet isn’t weird. Anything with chocolate chips on it always makes it taste better!
    As for the babymoon, if it was me I would probably still go. Even if you can’t get outside too much, it’s nice just to sleep in & relax around the hotel and be in “vacation mode”.
    Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..WIAW-Smoothie Craze

4. Traci says

Portsmouth is definitely better in warm weather, BUT it would still be fun to go if you really won’t have any opportunity to reschedule. Maybe you could find some outlet stores, check out a brewery (well, for Jay, haha! but they have food) and look into indoor activities? I’m sure there are some museums and tours in the area (like Stonewall Kitchen I believe) and some in Portland over the border as well.

Congrats on the testing, I know it can be scary waiting for those results. I would maybe wait till the following weekend for the babymoon or totally brave it. When in Rome!!
    Karen recently posted..WIAW & WIWW

Congrats on the testing! So nice to not have to worry about that!
    I think you guys should still go—who knows what the weather is really going to be like and wouldn’t it be so cozy staying in a hotel anyway if it is nasty outside? Order some room service maybe too?

7. Mallory says

I’ve been to Portsmouth and it is just the cutest place ever. I think you should still go. A little rain never hurt anyone. I think just getting away for a few days, rain or shine, before the baby comes will be rejuvenating and awesome for you two. I say go!

I’d re-schedule! You are right, you want to be outside and enjoying it, not stuck inside the whole time trying to think of indoor activities.

Glad to hear that your test came back okay :) That kind of sucks that the weather isn’t going to be the greatest for your babymoon, but I say still go. I’m sure that you’ll still find plenty to do, and the weather might even make things feel nicer and cozier. If not, then it’ll still make for some good laughs/memories down the road :)
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … a past life .

All your eats look so good! I love pulled pork sandwiches.

In my opinion, I I would reschedule the baby moon! I’m sure you would still have a wonderful time, but if you wait, I’m sure your patience will pay off with great weather and it will be everything you want and more :).

I need to try some of that rainbow sherbet! I’m usually so much of a chocolate/coffee flavored kinda girl though, so it might be difficult to branch out ;)

Congrats on passing your glucose test! I am sure that that is a relief for you! :)

And your snacks all look SO good. I love Wasa crackers with PB and I have a serious addiction to cantaloupe right now…in fact, I have been eating it like crazy all through this past Winter. I cannot wait until this Summer when it is “in season” and much cheaper!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Sweet and Savory Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

Hmm..that is a tough one! My husband and I went to Hilton Head for a long weekend in April and the weather wasn’t the best, but we still had an amazing time just going together! There was no beach or pool time, but we had a blast going putt-putt, out to dinners, and exploring nearby towns like savannah. Sure we had an umbrella a lot if the time, but it was part of the adventure! ;) Do what is best for you and Jay though, you can’t go wrong either way as long as you two are together! :)

13. Julie @ Food Fitness and Happiness says

So funny that you’re wondering wether you should go or not because I’m in the exact same boat!! We have plans to spend the weekend in Boston and they call for rain both Saturday and Sunday :( I say you and me go to our little trip because I can’t imagine how frustrated I’ll get if the weather turns out to not be that bad!! We’ll both have a blast anyways :))

I am amazed at how healthy you’ve eaten throughout your pregnancy – you’re a great role model :-) I think chocolate chips on sherbet is a bit weird…yet it does sound delicious. Some of the best food ideas are kind of weird anyway ;-).

I think you should still go! You two are clearly the type of people that have fun no matter what – I can’t remember, but are you staying at a B & B? If so, it will be so nice and cozy :-) Either way, you can relax and get away from the feeling of having to do things around the house or for the baby for a weekend!
    Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..The Time I Studied Abroad in Mexico City (New Recipe!)

Congrats on the glucose test!
    Have you two considered going to another place for your babymoon? I know you were super excited about going to Portsmouth, but I’d hate for you not to have a vacation! Darn that spring weather!
    Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..WIAW: Lots to Share

Congrats on passing your glucose test! Sorry to hear about the weather. That’s a pretty high chance of rain, I would probably cancel it and see if I could find somewhere else to go. There’s always a chance it could change but I find they’re usually pretty accurate. Accuweather, that is.
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes

I make my own “froyo” with my YoBananas blender, and I add chocolate chips to it if I have them, it’s so stinkin’ good!! Hmmm well if you had a lot of outside plans, then don’t go, but if they were a lot of indoor plans, then go?
    Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Why The Cold Feet

18. Leigha says

Go for the trip! You won’t have another chance:) sometimes when our meal plan changes it was for the better- you had an easy, yummy dinner with no prep!

Ah, such a tough call! If you could re-schedule for the next weekend or two, I would do that. But if it’s down to just nixing it all together, I would still go!
    Gracie recently posted..11 things.

To be honest, I would definitely re-schedule your trip. You deserve a really, really nice trip where you can relax and just spend time together. I think it will be more stressful for you if you go up there when the weather is pretty bad. The whole point is to get away for relaxation! Hopefully, you have another weekend you can go and enjoy yourselves!
    Lauren recently posted..Lets Get Factual.

Glad your glucose test came back with great results! :)

As for the babymoon… that’s a tough one! I’d probably skip it and try to do something near home if you know the weather will be nicer at home. Maybe do a special date night or overnight at a hotel near where you live?
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..One Word Wednesday

Congrats on your glucose test. That’s a relief I’m sure!

That worked out perfectly with your salad. I love little victories like that :)

I would definitely choose to stay at home for your babymoon. Wouldn’t want to get rained out or stuck in some nasty weather.

23. Jenny says

Booo to the rain, especially since it’s been so nice here recently! (I live in Newburyport, MA which is very close to Portsmouth.)

The one extra nice thing about putting off the trip a few weeks is that if you wait until late May or early June it will be warm enough for some beach time at the local beaches. I say that if you’re really unsure and can get the your $ money back, postpone to a sunnier weekend but make sure to do some fun babymoon like activities at home this weekend. :D

YAY, congrats on the positive results on the glucose test!

And wow, that is a toughie. Normally, one of the MAIN reasons I want to travel is for better/warmer weather, but I’m gonna agree with still going (if you can’t reschedule). I’d bet money (if I gambled, lol) that you two would still have a terrific time – no matter what the weather looks like. Plus, a change of scenery is always nice. :)
    Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..Welcoming What I Ate Wednesday #10

25. Michelle says

If you can reschedule, I’d say do that, since Portsmouth has a lot of fun outdoorsy type activities. However, if you can’t reschedule before the baby arrives, I’d say go for it. It’s always fun to go on mini vacations; I love feeling a little “pampered” by staying in hotels and having someone else cook and clean for me, haha. If you do go and it is raining, check out Stonewall Kitchen in Maine (not far from Portsmouth). They have cooking classes that you can sit in on, which I’ve done before and you get to eat all sorts of tasty food. ;-)
    PS – As a side note, I live in NH and the local weather station is saying that Sunday is looking a little less rainy than Saturday, if that helps at all. :-)

Congrats on passing your test! What a relief!?! Yummy lunch…I love pulled pork!

Tough question! Going on vacation is so much better when you know you’ll have good weather, then you can do lots of fun stuff outside. Rain is such a downer, but if you guys don’t go know, you might be able to before the baby comes.
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Zumba and FlashMob

I am sorry about the weather. I’ve never been there so I dont know whether the weather makes a huge difference, but walking in the rain is never good. I’d try to reschedule and if you can’t, make the best of it! Umbrellas and ponchos are a good look right? ;)
    Good news with the glucose test!

If the weather is nasty, I would probably reschedule. I would hate to spend all that money and not be able to enjoy that. That’s me, though!!

If you do cancel, I would schedule a couples massage and maybe some other relaxing spa services!! For dinner you could treat yourselves to a wonderful decadent dinner!!
    Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted..Exercising in Your Undies

29. Jil says

I would say go! Or have a little stacation and go to a local hotel, new resturant, spa day. Whatever! either way enjoy this weekend like you planned!

30. Heather @fitncookies says

I’m so sad to hear you might cancel it :( it sounded like such a nice relaxing time! Weather is so unpredictable. I always feel conflicted when having to wait on it. I know if I don’t follow through, it’ll be beautiful. If I do, then it’ll be down right crappy! I hope you make the right decision!

Trackbacks