A Mexican Feast

So, have I told you guys how much I’m diggin’ Mexican food lately?

Oh, I have? Only about 100 times? Okay, my bad.

Well lucky for me, my friends are very much aware of this latest obsession. Last night, Jay and I were invited over to our pals Brian & Mal’s place for dinner, so when Mal had asked me earlier in the week if I’d be interested in having chicken chimichangas for dinner, it was basically a no brainer.

Up until last night, the only other time I had tried a chimichanga was actually just last month. Jay and I loooooved them, but I didn’t think it was anything I’d ever attempt to make since I don’t exactly have a deep fryer.

Well, wouldn’t ya know…they can be baked on the oven. 😉

We had a whole Mexican feast last night, complete with our chimichangas (she used THIS recipe), refried beans, rice, salsa, chips, and guacamole. Jay and I offered to bring the chips and guac, and we were planning on making it from scratch…buuuuut our avocados were soooo not ripe that we couldn’t even mash them. At least you can still find some decent store-bought kinds!

The entire meal was absolutely delicious and I finished everything on my plate with noooo problems.

The four of us hung out and caught up a bit for a couple hours after dinner…and then it was time for dessert.

Homemade brownies with black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream. Hooooooly cow.

In other news, Jay and I did decide to cancel/postpone this weekend’s Babymoon. We were able to get everything refunded, which helped make our decision much easier. We’ll definitely still plan something before baby comes, maybe just for a night over somewhere. And we’ll hopefully still find some fun things to do this weekend too, so I’m happy with our decision. Either way, we’ll still make it out to Portsmouth one of these days!

Tonight, I am reeeeeeeally looking forward to laying low. The two of us have had something going on for the past three nights in a row, and while they’ve all definitely been good things (softball, breastfeeding class, dinner with friends!), I’m ready for a night of nothing. I’m also ready to get in a workout after work today. Thanks to the later evenings and early mornings, I’ve been having a hard time getting anything in over the past couple days, and my low back could really use some stretching. Perhaps tonight will be a yoga kinda night?

What kinda night will tonight be for YOU? :)

I love anything and everything Mexican food related (just wrote my whole last post on it!) Sorry to hear you are canceling the babymoon but glad you got a full refund! You’ll find somewhere nice to go for a night!

Tonight I’m headed to the city to see my brother and sis in law. Then this weekend I’m going to a bachelorette party at a winery! Unfortunately, looks like the rain will be coming our way as well…hopefully wine can cure all 😉
    Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..The Time I Studied Abroad in Mexico City (New Recipe!)

2. Kelsey Yoki says

Plans are to celebrate my research manuscript being turned in, and possibly going over to a friend’s home tonight. I’m ready for a chill night after some hectic days this week with finals starting next week.

The weather up here in Boston is so crappy, I don’t blame you for post-poning the Babymoon! You want to be able to enjoy the weather, the sunshine, and be able to walk around outside :) It’s been thundering in Boston all night/morning so I think it’s a good idea to hold off! Just wait until the weathers nicer and you’ll have twice as much fun :)
    Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Nachos, Beer, and Penguins Hockey

I’m on a Mexican roll too! I think everything I eat is either oats, smoothies, or something Mexican.
    Yours all looks awesome!

5. Kathryn says

My day and night will be kind busy, but nice. My “little” sister is graduating from college today, so we get to go see that and have a nice little party tonight before the shindig on Saturday.

6. Krystan says

Ethiopian food for my dad’s 60th birthday! Can not waaaait :) That brownie with the black raspberry looks amazing. It’s 8:30 in the morning and I want to eat it, lol.

The hubby and I are trying a detox so tonight will be chicken breast and veggies. I couldn’t do all juice/smoothies all day so we are incorporating clean eating for dinner. The meal you guys had looks DELISH!!
    Karen recently posted..Thirsty Thursday

Tonight I get off work at 4:30 and have to go straight to my son’s pre-school screening appointment, then I leave there and head straight to my dads, about 30 minutes away. I milk cows for him tonight, I should get home about 9:30 and hopefully in bed my 10:30. I have had a super busy week and it won’t slow down until Sunday. And I am going to try your chimichanga recipe!
    Jessica recently posted..Winter…Spring…Winter…Whatever Mother Nature!

I love love love Mexican food! I have never had an authentic chimichanga, but I have tried to bake them before too! I am sure they aren’t as good un-fried lol, but they are still pretty darn tasty. :)

Tonight I am shopping for a bridal shower and a bachelorette party… So fun!

Those brownies look out of this world!!

I’m actually not the hugest Mexican food fan (weird right?). I’m all about asian food instead!

I’m glad you’re looking forward to a nice and relaxing evening, you deserve it!

The Mexican dinner looks amazing but… black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream on top of brownies? 😯 Yeah, that’s definitely the show stopper for me… Holy.wow does that sound good. And I’m actually craving a low-key night myself. I’ve been out of the house pretty much every night this week, and I’m kind of in the mood for an at home pampering session, so that’ll be on the agenda either today or tomorrow.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #30 .

I LOVE chimichangas! Texas has the best Mexican food (no offense to the other states!) but I can’t ever find chimis that aren’t beef or chicken. I miss them a whole lot 😉

So, I’m normally not much of a desserts/sweets person (yes, I know – what’s wrong with me?? Lol), but WOW, that brownie with black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream on top is speaking to me! YUM!

The plan for tonight is probably a low key one, as well. Me & the hubby have been on-the-go quite a bit this week, as well. So, I’m looking forward to making a simple/healthy dinner and just taking it easy with the hubby tonight. :-)
    Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..Welcoming What I Ate Wednesday #10

Tonight, as well as the next several nights, will be just study-study-study! It’s finals around the corner and all the final projects are due very soon.
    Hope you have a nice, relaxing weekend!

I used to love the lazy nights until every day has become a lazy day due to surgery. Now, I would kill to be busy and go go go! Lol. There’s something about Mexican food which makes me feel good after I eat it… Although beans are in it (TMI?), I think the heat and veggies and everything just satisfies me more than any other meal. Have a great relaxing night!!
    Lauren recently posted..PT: No Pain, No Gain.

I wish tonight had nothing on the agenda…..last night was busy & I was up wayyyy too late. Boo. Tonight I teach BP/CX & prep for Zumba for tomorrow. Being a fitness instructor, you kinda got to fill in those gaps where you’d usually be reading or chillin’. Some days it’s tough!

Mmmmmmmm ice cream. Right now my thing is still sherbet!
    Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Being Fit & Pregnant-a Discussion

17. Heather @fitncookies says

Everytime you have Mexican, I crave Mexican! You are always eating the best meals! It was probably a good idea to cancel the trip for when it’ll be nice out! Getting your money back was definitely a sign :)

Have a great night laying low! I don’t have much on my agenda but I’m sure ill come up with something :)

I soo want to try chimichangas! I had a track meet earlier, so when I got home I’m just relaxing the rest of the night. Store bought guac is sometimes just as good as home made!
    Leigha recently posted..WIAW- Random

19. Jessica says

Hi! I am a longtime reader, though I never comment – sorry! You should definitely try and do something to get away for a bit. Even if you just do dinner out and a night in a swanky hotel in your own town. Once the baby comes the time for that kind of stuff will be so limited so do it while you can! And I don’t mean that in the “wait and see” kind of tone that so many people use. It is just true! I have a six month old little girl and she is the best thing ever but alone time and down time with my husband is hhhhharrrrddd to come by :) So pick a destination (even if it is close to home) and enjoy!

20. Larissa says

I was browsing one of my other favorite sites just now and I noticed she had been posting a lot of Mexican dishes recently. I obviously thought of you right away!

Although, you probably already know about this awesome site!