A Mexican Feast

by Courtney on May 9, 2013

So, have I told you guys how much I’m diggin’ Mexican food lately?

Oh, I have? Only about 100 times? Okay, my bad.

Well lucky for me, my friends are very much aware of this latest obsession. Last night, Jay and I were invited over to our pals Brian & Mal’s place for dinner, so when Mal had asked me earlier in the week if I’d be interested in having chicken chimichangas for dinner, it was basically a no brainer.

text

Up until last night, the only other time I had tried a chimichanga was actually just last month. Jay and I loooooved them, but I didn’t think it was anything I’d ever attempt to make since I don’t exactly have a deep fryer.

Well, wouldn’t ya know…they can be baked on the oven. ;)

We had a whole Mexican feast last night, complete with our chimichangas (she used THIS recipe), refried beans, rice, salsa, chips, and guacamole. Jay and I offered to bring the chips and guac, and we were planning on making it from scratch…buuuuut our avocados were soooo not ripe that we couldn’t even mash them. At least you can still find some decent store-bought kinds!

The entire meal was absolutely delicious and I finished everything on my plate with noooo problems.

The four of us hung out and caught up a bit for a couple hours after dinner…and then it was time for dessert.

Homemade brownies with black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream. Hooooooly cow.

Deeeelicious.

*****

In other news, Jay and I did decide to cancel/postpone this weekend’s Babymoon. We were able to get everything refunded, which helped make our decision much easier. We’ll definitely still plan something before baby comes, maybe just for a night over somewhere. And we’ll hopefully still find some fun things to do this weekend too, so I’m happy with our decision. Either way, we’ll still make it out to Portsmouth one of these days!

Tonight, I am reeeeeeeally looking forward to laying low. The two of us have had something going on for the past three nights in a row, and while they’ve all definitely been good things (softball, breastfeeding class, dinner with friends!), I’m ready for a night of nothing. I’m also ready to get in a workout after work today. Thanks to the later evenings and early mornings, I’ve been having a hard time getting anything in over the past couple days, and my low back could really use some stretching. Perhaps tonight will be a yoga kinda night?

What kinda night will tonight be for YOU? :)

1 claire @ live and love to eat May 9, 2013 at 9:03 am

Tonight is a happy hour with my best friend who I haven’t seen in months kinda night! :) Looking forward to it for sure.
claire @ live and love to eat recently posted..Springtime WIAW

2 Shel@PeachyPalate May 9, 2013 at 9:06 am

That looks like quite the feast and the dessert is epic. Tonight might be an exam taking night depending on how the next couple of hours of trying to study pan out!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Smooth…ie Times!

3 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog May 9, 2013 at 9:10 am

I love anything and everything Mexican food related (just wrote my whole last post on it!) Sorry to hear you are canceling the babymoon but glad you got a full refund! You’ll find somewhere nice to go for a night!

Tonight I’m headed to the city to see my brother and sis in law. Then this weekend I’m going to a bachelorette party at a winery! Unfortunately, looks like the rain will be coming our way as well…hopefully wine can cure all ;-)
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..The Time I Studied Abroad in Mexico City (New Recipe!)

4 Kelsey Yoki May 9, 2013 at 9:10 am

Plans are to celebrate my research manuscript being turned in, and possibly going over to a friend’s home tonight. I’m ready for a chill night after some hectic days this week with finals starting next week.

5 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 9, 2013 at 9:10 am

Your Mexican feast looks awesome!! I do not think that I could ever get tired of Mexican food! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: May 8, 2013 + The Best Vegetarian BLT

6 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle May 9, 2013 at 9:12 am

Wow that all looks good. Especially the dessert. Yum! You two (three!) always have so much going on!
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..Looking For: Passion

7 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 9, 2013 at 9:15 am

The weather up here in Boston is so crappy, I don’t blame you for post-poning the Babymoon! You want to be able to enjoy the weather, the sunshine, and be able to walk around outside :) It’s been thundering in Boston all night/morning so I think it’s a good idea to hold off! Just wait until the weathers nicer and you’ll have twice as much fun :)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Nachos, Beer, and Penguins Hockey

8 Lisa May 9, 2013 at 9:15 am

I’m on a Mexican roll too! I think everything I eat is either oats, smoothies, or something Mexican.
Yours all looks awesome!

9 Kathryn May 9, 2013 at 9:17 am

My day and night will be kind busy, but nice. My “little” sister is graduating from college today, so we get to go see that and have a nice little party tonight before the shindig on Saturday.

10 alyssa @ life a la wife May 9, 2013 at 9:21 am

Tonight will definitely be a vegetable eating and running night for me — I just got back from Mexico and need some normalcy!
alyssa @ life a la wife recently posted..Mexico Eating

11 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 9, 2013 at 9:27 am

I have been craving Mexican food too and I’m not even pregnant!! ;) The brownies and ice cream also need to make an appearance soon at my house!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Waffles for Mom

12 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 9, 2013 at 9:29 am

I love Mexican food! I’ve never tried chimichangas before, but they sound so good! Your dinner and dessert look awesome!

Tonight I’m going to Zumba class! Look forward to doing some dancing! :-)
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Berry and Kale Protein Smoothie

13 Krystan May 9, 2013 at 9:29 am

Ethiopian food for my dad’s 60th birthday! Can not waaaait :) That brownie with the black raspberry looks amazing. It’s 8:30 in the morning and I want to eat it, lol.

14 Erin @Axell's Kitchen May 9, 2013 at 9:32 am

It still amazes me that before I was pregnant I didn’t like Mexican food. I led a strange sad life haha. But I more than make up for it now!
Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Custom Art by Mwah

15 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health May 9, 2013 at 9:47 am

Man, you have some pretty awesome friends! That meal looked so good. Hope your back feels better after some stretching. Tonight is my man’s birthday so I’m taking him out to dinner! :)
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..‘Cool as a Cucumber’ Beet Juice

16 Karen May 9, 2013 at 9:53 am

The hubby and I are trying a detox so tonight will be chicken breast and veggies. I couldn’t do all juice/smoothies all day so we are incorporating clean eating for dinner. The meal you guys had looks DELISH!!
Karen recently posted..Thirsty Thursday

17 Ashley @ Life and Fitness May 9, 2013 at 9:54 am

Mexican must be one of your favorite foods since you guys are always eating it :)
My night will consist of catching up on some homework and heading to the gym for leg day. Ughh my least favorite.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Thoughts On A Thursday

18 Jessica May 9, 2013 at 9:56 am

Tonight I get off work at 4:30 and have to go straight to my son’s pre-school screening appointment, then I leave there and head straight to my dads, about 30 minutes away. I milk cows for him tonight, I should get home about 9:30 and hopefully in bed my 10:30. I have had a super busy week and it won’t slow down until Sunday. And I am going to try your chimichanga recipe!
Jessica recently posted..Winter…Spring…Winter…Whatever Mother Nature!

19 Bee Goes Bananas May 9, 2013 at 9:59 am

Oh my goodness that all looks do delicious! I’m not usually a big Mexican food fan, but I could definitely go for all of that right now!
Bee Goes Bananas recently posted..Bosu Love

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human May 9, 2013 at 10:05 am

Tonight is going to be a breakfast kind of night! Afterwards I plan on spending some quality time with my husband since he’s been gone for a few nights this week!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..WIAW And A Point To Ponder

21 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life May 9, 2013 at 10:06 am

I love love love Mexican food! I have never had an authentic chimichanga, but I have tried to bake them before too! I am sure they aren’t as good un-fried lol, but they are still pretty darn tasty. :)

Tonight I am shopping for a bridal shower and a bachelorette party… So fun!

22 Christine@ Apple of My Eye May 9, 2013 at 10:06 am

Those brownies look out of this world!!

I’m actually not the hugest Mexican food fan (weird right?). I’m all about asian food instead!

I’m glad you’re looking forward to a nice and relaxing evening, you deserve it!

23 Linz @ Itz Linz May 9, 2013 at 10:15 am

black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream?! tonight includes a doc appointment for me and now i’m thinking it will need to include ice cream too!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Stay Fit On Vacation Without The Gym

24 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 9, 2013 at 10:16 am

The Mexican dinner looks amazing but… black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream on top of brownies? :shock: Yeah, that’s definitely the show stopper for me… Holy.wow does that sound good. And I’m actually craving a low-key night myself. I’ve been out of the house pretty much every night this week, and I’m kind of in the mood for an at home pampering session, so that’ll be on the agenda either today or tomorrow.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #30 .

25 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 9, 2013 at 10:19 am

If we don’t eat it at least once a week, something must be wrong! :)
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..Vanilla Peanut Butter Energy Bites

26 Ashlee@HisnHers May 9, 2013 at 10:24 am

I LOVE chimichangas! Texas has the best Mexican food (no offense to the other states!) but I can’t ever find chimis that aren’t beef or chicken. I miss them a whole lot ;-)

27 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives May 9, 2013 at 10:40 am

So, I’m normally not much of a desserts/sweets person (yes, I know – what’s wrong with me?? Lol), but WOW, that brownie with black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream on top is speaking to me! YUM!

The plan for tonight is probably a low key one, as well. Me & the hubby have been on-the-go quite a bit this week, as well. So, I’m looking forward to making a simple/healthy dinner and just taking it easy with the hubby tonight. :-)
Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..Welcoming What I Ate Wednesday #10

28 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 9, 2013 at 10:41 am

That brownie/ice cream combo sounds perfect!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW #44

29 Michelle Kim May 9, 2013 at 10:55 am

Tonight, as well as the next several nights, will be just study-study-study! It’s finals around the corner and all the final projects are due very soon.
Hope you have a nice, relaxing weekend!

30 Emily @The Good Era May 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

YUM! Sounds delicious…I swear I could eat Mexican everyday and never get sick of it! I’m hoping to lay low tonight too and maybe just go for a run. We’ve been so busy the last few weeks, I’m really looking forward to just a night of nothing :)

Hope you enjoy yours!
Emily @The Good Era recently posted..My First “Vlog” and Random Links

31 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 9, 2013 at 11:04 am

My sister-in-law is driving here from Florida to help with the baby for a few days. :) So I’m sure we’ll be spending time catching up with her, and hopefully getting some much-needed rest while she watches the baby!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..My recovery from the C-section.

32 Lauren May 9, 2013 at 11:17 am

I used to love the lazy nights until every day has become a lazy day due to surgery. Now, I would kill to be busy and go go go! Lol. There’s something about Mexican food which makes me feel good after I eat it… Although beans are in it (TMI?), I think the heat and veggies and everything just satisfies me more than any other meal. Have a great relaxing night!!
Lauren recently posted..PT: No Pain, No Gain.

33 Ruthie Hart (@ruthiehart1) May 9, 2013 at 11:22 am

I saw this pic on IG last night and was instantly drooling!

34 Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit May 9, 2013 at 11:23 am

I could eat Mexican food every day of my life :) Tonight will definitely be a laying low kind of night for me. It’s been a busy week at work and I’m going to try to get to bed early tonight.
Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit recently posted..Shredded Sweet Potatoes

35 Annette@FitnessPerks May 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I wish tonight had nothing on the agenda…..last night was busy & I was up wayyyy too late. Boo. Tonight I teach BP/CX & prep for Zumba for tomorrow. Being a fitness instructor, you kinda got to fill in those gaps where you’d usually be reading or chillin’. Some days it’s tough!

Mmmmmmmm ice cream. Right now my thing is still sherbet!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Being Fit & Pregnant-a Discussion

36 Andrea @ pencils and pancakes May 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm

We rarely do things on weeknights! Seems like you’ve always got something going on! I’m jealous!
Andrea @ pencils and pancakes recently posted..{Finding} a Balance

37 Heather @fitncookies May 9, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Everytime you have Mexican, I crave Mexican! You are always eating the best meals! It was probably a good idea to cancel the trip for when it’ll be nice out! Getting your money back was definitely a sign :)

Have a great night laying low! I don’t have much on my agenda but I’m sure ill come up with something :)

38 Jenn@Be ME May 9, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Tonight I will be working. I am looking forward to a low key weekend and also setting up our nursery : )
Jenn@Be ME recently posted..Jeans for YOUR Genes Campaign

39 melissa @ fitnessnycblog May 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Drool. The homemade looks just as good as the one at the mexican connection–and i love the mexican connection. The ice cream makes me long for real summer weather.
melissa @ fitnessnycblog recently posted..Sweet Soreness

40 Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 9, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I’ve totally been craving a low key night too. One where I actually veg out and watch tv or read a book maybe. Put the laptop away, hide the planner and to-do list, and just relax. Yes, that needs to happen. Soon.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Thursday Thoughts 5/9/13

41 Danica @ It's Progression May 9, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Glad you could get your trip totally refunded – that definitely makes the decision easier!
Tonight I’m heading to Panera to have dinner with a friend…those nights are always fun to catch up!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Junk Ingredients 101: Food Additives

42 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 9, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Tonight’s going to be a low-key night…and probably going to take the new puppy for a walk!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The Month Without a Plan.

43 Ellie@Fit for the Soul May 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Whooaaa now you have me craving Mexican food! It’s one of my favorites so I guess that wasn’t so hard, haha. And sometimes just doing nothing is so awesome! I hope you enjoy it :D
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Kat: The Person Behind the Blog

44 Leigha May 9, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I soo want to try chimichangas! I had a track meet earlier, so when I got home I’m just relaxing the rest of the night. Store bought guac is sometimes just as good as home made!
Leigha recently posted..WIAW- Random

45 Miranda @ Miranda Runs May 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Mexican food and I are aquantices. We see eachother around but rarely stop to chat. I think it’s time to run into it again ;)
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..Thursday Thoughts 5/9

46 Lisa May 9, 2013 at 9:27 pm

That’s great that you could get your trip totally refunded . Have a great weekend whatever you decide to do! :-)

47 Jessica May 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Hi! I am a longtime reader, though I never comment – sorry! You should definitely try and do something to get away for a bit. Even if you just do dinner out and a night in a swanky hotel in your own town. Once the baby comes the time for that kind of stuff will be so limited so do it while you can! And I don’t mean that in the “wait and see” kind of tone that so many people use. It is just true! I have a six month old little girl and she is the best thing ever but alone time and down time with my husband is hhhhharrrrddd to come by :) So pick a destination (even if it is close to home) and enjoy!

48 Kelly @ Femme Fitale May 10, 2013 at 1:09 am

Agree Agree Agree!!! (says mum of 3 month old)
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..I Like Girls That Wear Abercrombie & Fitch (just not the CEO)

49 Courtney May 10, 2013 at 9:24 am

Yes! We’re definitely still planning on doing something before he gets here. We’ve agreed on that for sure! :)

50 Lindsay May 10, 2013 at 8:11 am

Hi Courtney :)

Just thought I’d share this funny picture with you this morning. Reminds me of Cody!

51 Courtney May 10, 2013 at 9:25 am

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! OMG that is GREAT! :)

52 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets May 11, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Holy yum! I haven’t heard of those chicken things (can’t remember what you called them and too lazy to scroll back up hahha), but definitely would like to try them out. I’m a big Mexican food fan too :) Enjoy your weekend.
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..sunshine, smiles + sneezes

53 Larissa May 13, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I was browsing one of my other favorite sites just now and I noticed she had been posting a lot of Mexican dishes recently. I obviously thought of you right away!

Although, you probably already know about this awesome site!

54 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Yes! Love her recipes :)

55 Phoebe May 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm

looks so good! especially dessert! :)

hashtagphoebe.blogspot.com
hashtagphoebe on bloglovin
Phoebe recently posted..Reel Review: The Great Gatsby (2013)