Baby Tooth: 30 Weeks

We’ve made it to the big 3-0! I swear, it immediately felt so much more real at that number. Crazy.

30 Weeks

Baby Tooth is just over 30 weeks today and is about the size of a head of cabbage.

Time just keeps on flyin’, I’ll tell ya!

Here’s what Baby Tooth has been up to this week:

• Baby Tooth is about 15.7 inches long now, and weighs almost 3 pounds.
  • A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds him, but that volume will decrease as he gets bigger and takes up more room in the uterus.
  • His eyesight continues to develop, though it’s not very keen; even after he’s born, he’ll keep his eyes closed for a good part of the day. When he does open them, he’ll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means he can only make out objects a few inches from his face.

And here’s what’s been happening with me this past week:

Weight gained: Don’t know…I have an appointment today(!) so I’m sure I’ll find out.

Workouts: One. Whoops. I started last week off right with a solid Pilates workout, but it went downhill after that. I had a couple of planned workouts that fell through (i.e., I couldn’t wake up), but I did still manage a few afternoon walks. Even still, it was a slow week on the exercise front.

Symptoms:

• Some Braxton Hicks contractions
  • Minor low back pain
  • Bathroom trips all. the. time.
  • A general “full” feeling in my upper stomach
  • Leg cramps…BIG time. Especially in my calves, which tend to happen in the middle of the night. Oh man, they’re a trip.

Movement: ALL the time! He’s still pretty consistent in his movement patterns, although he was a little off yesterday. On Mother’s Day, he was putting on quite a show for us, so we all watched him dance around for a while. It freaks my brother out, which cracks me right up.

Food Aversions: After Mother’s Day, peanut butter and chocolate still don’t sound appealing. Hot drinks and shrimp still sound gross too.

Food Cravings: Still lovin’ on fruity sweets, along with cheeseburgers, potato chips, and cheese. They were big ones this week.

Sleep: This past week has been full of ups and downs. There’s been a few nights where I slept great (one night I only had to get up once to pee!), but there’s been a couple of really restless, crappy nights too. As long as there’s still some good nights mixed in there for now, I’ll take it.

Stretch marks? Belly is still stretch mark free!

Miss Anything? I miss beer. There, I said it. I miss regular clothes (there’s so many cute spring things out right now!), and I also miss the desire to workout. I get motivated to do it, but then I get too lazy to follow through.

Fun and/or Interesting Things from the Week: I think one of the more amusing things this past week has been feeling him move. Although our little guy has been on the move for weeks now, it seems like this past week I’ve been able to see/feel some of his little body parts. I can’t quite determine what each of them are, but sometimes he’ll kick/punch/move, and my belly will stick out for a while then go back in. It’s just the weirdest, coolest thing ever.

Jay and I have also still been having fun talking about what/who we think he’ll look like. Will he get mommy’s dark brown eyes or daddy’s hazel eyes (I still don’t totally understand the genetics of all that stuff)? Will he be a bright blonde like his daddy was, or have dark brown hair like his mama always has?

O-009O-010

Only time will tell. Smile

I was also looking back at some of my older week’s photos and I feel like I am carrying really, really low. I have no idea if this will mean anything for when he arrives, or if it’s just how my body was meant to carry…but sheesh, I’m afraid to see where it falls whenever I “drop” down the road!

Belly Button in or out? Still in…but if I stretch back reeeeeally far, it almost goes flat. Almost. Winking smile

Wedding rings on or off? On, but they get pretty tight if I start to get warm.

Happy or moody most of the time: Happy most of the time, but I’ve had a few occasions where I start to get easily irritable, grumpy, or emotional.

New Baby Items: We got some more clothes from my MIL this past week, which are adorable. I was also *this close* to purchasing this outfit for our little guy at Target yesterday…

But I refrained. For now. I just can’t get over its cuteness.

Looking Forward To: Today’s prenatal appointment and tomorrow’s class, which is a pain relief for labor and delivery class. It’s a short one, but I’ve heard from a few people that it’s pretty informative, and I’m all about the extra info these days.

Question for the Moms:

Are there any distinct features that your baby got (or you’re hoping he/she will get!) from you?

Comments

Woohoo for 30 weeks!!!! If you’re carrying super low, you might not drop. I know a lot of women don’t actually – he might fall out of you! Sheesh! 😉

I’ve been sleeping horribly too – AND I had a foot cramp in the middle of the night last night. Ouch!

Bananas! Bananas help with leg cramps- something about their potassium levels. I had the WORST leg cramps with both my pregnancies, and while they didn’t go away, they were certainly less frequent when I upped my banana intake :) You look so adorable!!
    Nicole @ Curly Mommy recently posted..Toblerone Scones

3. Julie @ Food Fitness and Happiness says

You and your belly look adorable 😉 Only 10 more weeks to go (or a little less, who knows)! I just finished my internship in the neonatal / OBGYN department so don’t hesitate if you have any questions regarding your pregnancy / delivery!

You make 30 weeks look amazing! I always joked that I only married my hubby so our babies would have blond hair and blue eyes, and well, it worked! Our daughter has the bluest eyes and her hair is getting lighter by the minute. She bares zero resemblance to me right now, but there’s an old wives tale that says babies look like their dads so they don’t up and leave..haha..And then they grow to look more like their moms.
    Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom recently posted..Dieting…Mom Style

I don’t have any kids (or any on the way) right now, but when my husband and I do decide to have children, I really hope one of them gets my blonde hair and blue eyes. Not that I don’t love my husband’s dark features, I just want at least one of our kids to resemble me a bit!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Get Fhit with Fhitting Room

Wowee, can’t believe you’re already at 30 weeks! He’ll be here before you know it. Eeek, so excited for you!

Hunter definitely has my chin/jaw/mouth and Cody’s hairline, but the rest is still up in the air. I was so excited to see what he looked like when he came out, but now I’m excited to see how he changes in the next several months!

Crap, I plan to go to Target today… I think I’m in trouble! What a cuuuute outfit!
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..What’s Beautiful to You?

7. Kathryn says

My daughter looks like a spitting image of me when I was her age. Her skin is slightly darker, thanks to the Italian in her dad, and her eyes aren’t a light blue as mine, they’re a color between her dads eyes and mine.

8. Trixie says

Does anyone in your family have blue eyes? Blue eyes are a recessive trait, so both parents need to at least have a blue eyed parent for the chance to have a blue eyed child. If that makes sense…haha. My fiance has dark eyes and hair like you, but his little sister has green/hazel eyes. I love genetics!

“Another way of predicting the color of a child’s eyes is to use the parent’s eye color genes. If both parents have a blue and brown gene, their eyes are brown, but if the child inherits the blue gene from each parent then the child will have blue eyes. If the child only inherits one blue gene then they will have brown eyes.”

• Courtney says

Nobody that I know of in my family has blue eyes…at least not in my immediate family. And Jay is adopted, so we’re kinda in the dark on that one 😉

9. Nicole says

My two-month old has bright blue eyes and light hair. Funny, because both my husband and I have dark brown hair and brown eyes! You just never know…

On another note, I used to get bad calf cramps in the middle of the night also. My doctor suggested flexing my toes toward my face when it happened, and it would immediately go away each time.

10. Megan says

I have follwed your blog and Chelsea’s blog for awhile now, its fun to watch you both going through this!

It is so so fun to guess about who the baby will look like, for sure! The genetics stuff is so fascinating to me. And esp since I have blonde hair & my husband has red, both are recessive–and we both have brown in our lines (dominant). So it’ll be verrrrryyy interesting to see what the baby has! Also, the hair & eye color can change with time, so just because he has something when he comes out doesn’t mean it’ll be that way in 4-5 months! :)
    Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..18 Weeks {Pregnancy Weight Gain}

• Courtney says

It fascinates me too! And it’s so weird how the hair and eye color can change like that…my brother was blonde as blonde can be for like, the first year of his life and now he’s got hair as dark as me. Who knows?!

Maybe you’re not motivated to workout because the little guy is doing all the working out by moving so much! 😉 He’s taking it all for himself! Target baby clothes are too cute. I don’t know how you resisted the urge!
    Lauren recently posted..PT: No Pain, No Gain.

13. Katrina says

OMG…the nightgown! Totally reminds me of the long one I had when I was young! I forgot about those!!! haha

14. Lindsay says

I’m not pregnant but I do suffer from nighttime leg cramps (so does my dad). This may sound strange, but I’ve found that if I drink a little bit of orange juice before going to bed it helps tremendously! I can actually get up and drink some if I’m having them in the middle of the night and they will stop. I know pregnancy makes them worse, but if you like orange juice it might be worth a try! It works for my dad too.

15. Megan says

I’m no geneticist here but I did take a class this past semester! Brown is dominant and blue is recessive. If Jay had blue eyes I would guarantee you’d have a brown eyed baby but Hazel is a whole other story and it gets much more complicated. My family has the same thing: Dad is brown eyed, Mom is hazel eyed and I have one sibling with brown eyes and one with hazel eyes and I have hazel eyes so it could go either way :]

Yeah, for the Big 3-0!! I bet Baby Tooth will have a mixture of both of you. My ex has blue eyes, and I have hazel, so our daughter got gray eyes. I didn’t think there was a gray color in eyes, but she has them. They are a dark blue with grayish tint. She looks like me now at 11yrs but when she was born she was as blonde as can be, like her daddy. It’s funny how they grow up and their appearance changes.
    Melissa @ For Love and Travel recently posted..Wine + Friends = Party!!

You look so pretty and adorable at the same time! I can’t believe 30 weeks! Time is flying for both of us!

I feel ya on the leg cramps, it hurt so bad the other night I almost screamed! Ankle swelling has been happening over here as well, but not too bad!

Mike and I are SO curious to about what baby g will come out looking like! Mike thinks he will have a full head of hair, but he may not. I have lots of hair and Anthony’s dad does as well, both have thick hair, and Anthony came out bald, lol!

18. Alycia says

I love your baby updates!

I am only 11 weeks along with my first and am wondering what (if anything) you have been using as prevention for stretch marks? I’m not really prone to them but would like to start something soon before I start growing!!!

As for features – I hope my child gets my husband’s long legs and (I’m only 5’2″) and my blonde hair :)

• Courtney says

Baby oil every morning right after I shower, then Vitamin E lotion and aloe lotion before I go to bed every night :)

19. Emily says

First off you look wonderful and make me miss being preggers. It is so exciting and even though being a new mom is challenging it is the best thing ever, which I am sure you already know. Our baby girl is 11 weeks and I had said (sort of joking sort of not) I hope she gets my mouth and my husbands eyes, well she got my eyes and his mouth but is still adorable. It will be so fun for you to see yourself and hubby in your little one and how perfectly they are made 😉

I’ve started to really be able to feel little feet, elbows and fists when my little man moves and it totally freaks my husband out! I love it when my friends and family are able to see and feel him move :)
    Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Week 33 Update