Baby Tooth: 30 Weeks

by Courtney on May 14, 2013

We’ve made it to the big 3-0! I swear, it immediately felt so much more real at that number. Crazy.

30 Weeks

Baby Tooth is just over 30 weeks today and is about the size of a head of cabbage.

Time just keeps on flyin’, I’ll tell ya!

Here’s what Baby Tooth has been up to this week:

• Baby Tooth is about 15.7 inches long now, and weighs almost 3 pounds.
  • A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds him, but that volume will decrease as he gets bigger and takes up more room in the uterus.
  • His eyesight continues to develop, though it’s not very keen; even after he’s born, he’ll keep his eyes closed for a good part of the day. When he does open them, he’ll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means he can only make out objects a few inches from his face.

And here’s what’s been happening with me this past week:

Weight gained: Don’t know…I have an appointment today(!) so I’m sure I’ll find out.

Workouts: One. Whoops. I started last week off right with a solid Pilates workout, but it went downhill after that. I had a couple of planned workouts that fell through (i.e., I couldn’t wake up), but I did still manage a few afternoon walks. Even still, it was a slow week on the exercise front.

Symptoms:

• Some Braxton Hicks contractions
  • Minor low back pain
  • Bathroom trips all. the. time.
  • A general “full” feeling in my upper stomach
  • Leg cramps…BIG time. Especially in my calves, which tend to happen in the middle of the night. Oh man, they’re a trip.

Movement: ALL the time! He’s still pretty consistent in his movement patterns, although he was a little off yesterday. On Mother’s Day, he was putting on quite a show for us, so we all watched him dance around for a while. It freaks my brother out, which cracks me right up.

Food Aversions: After Mother’s Day, peanut butter and chocolate still don’t sound appealing. Hot drinks and shrimp still sound gross too.

Food Cravings: Still lovin’ on fruity sweets, along with cheeseburgers, potato chips, and cheese. They were big ones this week.

Sleep: This past week has been full of ups and downs. There’s been a few nights where I slept great (one night I only had to get up once to pee!), but there’s been a couple of really restless, crappy nights too. As long as there’s still some good nights mixed in there for now, I’ll take it.

Stretch marks? Belly is still stretch mark free!

Miss Anything? I miss beer. There, I said it. I miss regular clothes (there’s so many cute spring things out right now!), and I also miss the desire to workout. I get motivated to do it, but then I get too lazy to follow through.

Fun and/or Interesting Things from the Week: I think one of the more amusing things this past week has been feeling him move. Although our little guy has been on the move for weeks now, it seems like this past week I’ve been able to see/feel some of his little body parts. I can’t quite determine what each of them are, but sometimes he’ll kick/punch/move, and my belly will stick out for a while then go back in. It’s just the weirdest, coolest thing ever.

Jay and I have also still been having fun talking about what/who we think he’ll look like. Will he get mommy’s dark brown eyes or daddy’s hazel eyes (I still don’t totally understand the genetics of all that stuff)? Will he be a bright blonde like his daddy was, or have dark brown hair like his mama always has?

O-009O-010

Only time will tell. Smile

I was also looking back at some of my older week’s photos and I feel like I am carrying really, really low. I have no idea if this will mean anything for when he arrives, or if it’s just how my body was meant to carry…but sheesh, I’m afraid to see where it falls whenever I “drop” down the road!

Belly Button in or out? Still in…but if I stretch back reeeeeally far, it almost goes flat. Almost. Winking smile

Wedding rings on or off? On, but they get pretty tight if I start to get warm.

Happy or moody most of the time: Happy most of the time, but I’ve had a few occasions where I start to get easily irritable, grumpy, or emotional.

New Baby Items: We got some more clothes from my MIL this past week, which are adorable. I was also *this close* to purchasing this outfit for our little guy at Target yesterday…

But I refrained. For now. I just can’t get over its cuteness.

Looking Forward To: Today’s prenatal appointment and tomorrow’s class, which is a pain relief for labor and delivery class. It’s a short one, but I’ve heard from a few people that it’s pretty informative, and I’m all about the extra info these days.

Question for the Moms:

Are there any distinct features that your baby got (or you’re hoping he/she will get!) from you?

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 14, 2013 at 7:35 am

Woohoo for 30 weeks!!!! If you’re carrying super low, you might not drop. I know a lot of women don’t actually – he might fall out of you! Sheesh! ;)

I’ve been sleeping horribly too – AND I had a foot cramp in the middle of the night last night. Ouch!

2 Kelly @ Femme Fitale May 14, 2013 at 8:25 am

I never “dropped”. I had asked my doctor the same thing, but she said that plenty of women don’t notice or experience it.
I also had horrible charley horses in my calves that woke me out if my sleep. It was awful, and I totally understand. Hang in there (and drink lots of water)! :)

3 Presley @ Run Pretty May 15, 2013 at 9:41 pm

OMG the leg cramps are NO JOKE. I vividly remember those waking me up. Horrible.
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..One Word Weekend Recap

4 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle May 14, 2013 at 7:40 am

Thirty weeks!? Wow!! I guess I still can’t get over that it’s mid-May, hah.
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..My First 5K Ever!!!! ( Color Run recap )

5 Nicole @ Curly Mommy May 14, 2013 at 7:46 am

Bananas! Bananas help with leg cramps- something about their potassium levels. I had the WORST leg cramps with both my pregnancies, and while they didn’t go away, they were certainly less frequent when I upped my banana intake :) You look so adorable!!
Nicole @ Curly Mommy recently posted..Toblerone Scones

6 Lisa May 14, 2013 at 7:59 am

You look absolutely adorable!!

7 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes May 14, 2013 at 8:00 am

How exciting!!! My sil had a baby girl last night and I’ve never seen her so happy. What a fun time in life :-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..It worked and SHE’S HERE!!!

8 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 14, 2013 at 8:39 am

YAY…30 weeks!!! So exciting! Love the pics of you and Jay…so cute!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Brownies Made with Black Beans!?!

9 Julie @ Food Fitness and Happiness May 14, 2013 at 8:43 am

You and your belly look adorable ;) Only 10 more weeks to go (or a little less, who knows)! I just finished my internship in the neonatal / OBGYN department so don’t hesitate if you have any questions regarding your pregnancy / delivery!

10 Erin @Sugar Magnolia May 14, 2013 at 8:54 am

My baby got my big eyes but other than that he got my husband’s light hair and blue eyes!
Erin @Sugar Magnolia recently posted..Blueberry Crumb Muffins

11 Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom May 14, 2013 at 8:59 am

You make 30 weeks look amazing! I always joked that I only married my hubby so our babies would have blond hair and blue eyes, and well, it worked! Our daughter has the bluest eyes and her hair is getting lighter by the minute. She bares zero resemblance to me right now, but there’s an old wives tale that says babies look like their dads so they don’t up and leave..haha..And then they grow to look more like their moms.
Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom recently posted..Dieting…Mom Style

12 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Haha, I’d never heard that old wives tale!

13 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance May 14, 2013 at 9:45 am

I don’t have any kids (or any on the way) right now, but when my husband and I do decide to have children, I really hope one of them gets my blonde hair and blue eyes. Not that I don’t love my husband’s dark features, I just want at least one of our kids to resemble me a bit!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Get Fhit with Fhitting Room

14 Shel@PeachyPalate May 14, 2013 at 9:51 am

Good luck with your appointment today! Hope you find some love for peanut butter soon!!!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Things I’m loving lately!

15 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 14, 2013 at 10:06 am

Wowee, can’t believe you’re already at 30 weeks! He’ll be here before you know it. Eeek, so excited for you!

Hunter definitely has my chin/jaw/mouth and Cody’s hairline, but the rest is still up in the air. I was so excited to see what he looked like when he came out, but now I’m excited to see how he changes in the next several months!

Crap, I plan to go to Target today… I think I’m in trouble! What a cuuuute outfit!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..What’s Beautiful to You?

16 Kathryn May 14, 2013 at 10:11 am

My daughter looks like a spitting image of me when I was her age. Her skin is slightly darker, thanks to the Italian in her dad, and her eyes aren’t a light blue as mine, they’re a color between her dads eyes and mine.

17 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm

That’s so awesome!

18 Trixie May 14, 2013 at 10:44 am

Does anyone in your family have blue eyes? Blue eyes are a recessive trait, so both parents need to at least have a blue eyed parent for the chance to have a blue eyed child. If that makes sense…haha. My fiance has dark eyes and hair like you, but his little sister has green/hazel eyes. I love genetics!

“Another way of predicting the color of a child’s eyes is to use the parent’s eye color genes. If both parents have a blue and brown gene, their eyes are brown, but if the child inherits the blue gene from each parent then the child will have blue eyes. If the child only inherits one blue gene then they will have brown eyes.”

19 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Nobody that I know of in my family has blue eyes…at least not in my immediate family. And Jay is adopted, so we’re kinda in the dark on that one ;)

20 Trixie May 14, 2013 at 1:18 pm

That is just going to make seeing Baby Tooth for the first time that much more fun and amazing! :)

21 Karen May 14, 2013 at 10:50 am

My daughter is pretty identical to my mom and I when we were her age…I love it!!
Karen recently posted..A Recap Of The Weekend

22 Nicole May 14, 2013 at 11:26 am

My two-month old has bright blue eyes and light hair. Funny, because both my husband and I have dark brown hair and brown eyes! You just never know…

On another note, I used to get bad calf cramps in the middle of the night also. My doctor suggested flexing my toes toward my face when it happened, and it would immediately go away each time.

23 Megan May 14, 2013 at 11:26 am

I have follwed your blog and Chelsea’s blog for awhile now, its fun to watch you both going through this!

24 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Aww, thanks Megan! It’s certainly been fun to go through it with Chelsey :)

25 Annette@FitnessPerks May 14, 2013 at 11:40 am

It is so so fun to guess about who the baby will look like, for sure! The genetics stuff is so fascinating to me. And esp since I have blonde hair & my husband has red, both are recessive–and we both have brown in our lines (dominant). So it’ll be verrrrryyy interesting to see what the baby has! Also, the hair & eye color can change with time, so just because he has something when he comes out doesn’t mean it’ll be that way in 4-5 months! :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..18 Weeks {Pregnancy Weight Gain}

26 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 1:13 pm

It fascinates me too! And it’s so weird how the hair and eye color can change like that…my brother was blonde as blonde can be for like, the first year of his life and now he’s got hair as dark as me. Who knows?!

27 Lauren May 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

Maybe you’re not motivated to workout because the little guy is doing all the working out by moving so much! ;-) He’s taking it all for himself! Target baby clothes are too cute. I don’t know how you resisted the urge!
Lauren recently posted..PT: No Pain, No Gain.

28 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Haha, this is true! He is doing a lot of the working out these days ;)

29 Suzanne @ Mixing It Up May 14, 2013 at 12:59 pm

My husband and I each have a mini me. My daughter took after me(big ears and all….haha!!) and my son is my husbands twin. It is actually quite funny how it worked out that way!!
Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted..Review and Giveaway: Van’s Natural Foods

30 Katrina May 14, 2013 at 1:11 pm

OMG…the nightgown! Totally reminds me of the long one I had when I was young! I forgot about those!!! haha

31 Lindsay May 14, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I’m not pregnant but I do suffer from nighttime leg cramps (so does my dad). This may sound strange, but I’ve found that if I drink a little bit of orange juice before going to bed it helps tremendously! I can actually get up and drink some if I’m having them in the middle of the night and they will stop. I know pregnancy makes them worse, but if you like orange juice it might be worth a try! It works for my dad too.

32 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Really?? That is so interesting…I may have to try that, thank you!

33 Megan May 14, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I’m no geneticist here but I did take a class this past semester! Brown is dominant and blue is recessive. If Jay had blue eyes I would guarantee you’d have a brown eyed baby but Hazel is a whole other story and it gets much more complicated. My family has the same thing: Dad is brown eyed, Mom is hazel eyed and I have one sibling with brown eyes and one with hazel eyes and I have hazel eyes so it could go either way :]

34 Melissa @ For Love and Travel May 14, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Yeah, for the Big 3-0!! I bet Baby Tooth will have a mixture of both of you. My ex has blue eyes, and I have hazel, so our daughter got gray eyes. I didn’t think there was a gray color in eyes, but she has them. They are a dark blue with grayish tint. She looks like me now at 11yrs but when she was born she was as blonde as can be, like her daddy. It’s funny how they grow up and their appearance changes.
Melissa @ For Love and Travel recently posted..Wine + Friends = Party!!

35 Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength May 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm

More so than physical features, I’m amazed at my son and the expressions he says now (he’s almost 2). He sounds just like me and/or my husband at times and it cracks me up.
Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength recently posted..Balancing It All

36 Katie May 14, 2013 at 6:41 pm

You look so pretty and adorable at the same time! I can’t believe 30 weeks! Time is flying for both of us!

I feel ya on the leg cramps, it hurt so bad the other night I almost screamed! Ankle swelling has been happening over here as well, but not too bad!

Mike and I are SO curious to about what baby g will come out looking like! Mike thinks he will have a full head of hair, but he may not. I have lots of hair and Anthony’s dad does as well, both have thick hair, and Anthony came out bald, lol!

37 Alycia May 14, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I love your baby updates!

I am only 11 weeks along with my first and am wondering what (if anything) you have been using as prevention for stretch marks? I’m not really prone to them but would like to start something soon before I start growing!!!

As for features – I hope my child gets my husband’s long legs and (I’m only 5’2″) and my blonde hair :)

38 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Baby oil every morning right after I shower, then Vitamin E lotion and aloe lotion before I go to bed every night :)

39 Miranda @ Miranda Runs May 14, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Ahh, genetics. The one science-y thing I actually understand! :) I’d make some smart sounding comment but everyone else already has… so I’ll spare you. Haha! Those clothes are too cute!
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..Operation: Prom Dress Week 6 Recap + Week 7

40 Emily May 14, 2013 at 9:17 pm

First off you look wonderful and make me miss being preggers. It is so exciting and even though being a new mom is challenging it is the best thing ever, which I am sure you already know. Our baby girl is 11 weeks and I had said (sort of joking sort of not) I hope she gets my mouth and my husbands eyes, well she got my eyes and his mouth but is still adorable. It will be so fun for you to see yourself and hubby in your little one and how perfectly they are made ;)

41 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life May 14, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Oh my goodness, I love that little karate picture of Jay! You’re both so cute!
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..Week in Review

42 Katy @ HaveYouHurd May 15, 2013 at 8:17 am

I’ve started to really be able to feel little feet, elbows and fists when my little man moves and it totally freaks my husband out! I love it when my friends and family are able to see and feel him move :)
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Week 33 Update

43 Lazy Eyes In Toddlers October 31, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Great web site you have here.. It’s hard to find good quality writing like yours nowadays.
I really appreciate people like you! Take care!!
Lazy Eyes In Toddlers recently posted..Lazy Eyes In Toddlers