Our Only Real Dinner This Week

by Courtney on May 28, 2013

Well, after a really, really nice weekend, it’s back to the grind today.

I already shared a little bit about my Saturday and Sunday, and our actual Memorial Day yesterday was also pretty low-key. Jay and I both had some things to do around the house, but other than that, I was left with a good amount of downtime which was nice. It actually gave me some time to do a little reading, as well as a little reflecting.

I’ve been feeling a bit more emotional lately (surprise, surprise!), and I think the combination of that, along with it being Memorial Day and just feeling so grateful for so much, really helped put a lot of things into perspective for me. Sometimes I tend to allow myself to get so worked up over things that, in the grand scheme of things, really are so minor. So to be able to find a little clarity yesterday was really refreshing and very much needed.

(I actually talk a little bit about some of the emotions I’ve been feeling in today’s Baby Tooth post, which was updated today.)

Don’t get me wrong though…all is good! Just sharing some my random tidbits and thoughts with you all this morning.

*****

For dinner yesterday, I decided to take some time and effort to make an actual meal. I know, who knew, right?! “Real” dinners are becoming a rarity in our house these days, thanks to our ever-busy schedules (and my decreasing desire to put much effort into anything). But since I knew last night was basically the only night this week we’d both be home for a real, sit-down meal, I decided to make something nice…and I’m SO glad I did.

As I was cleaning out in the living room the other day, I came across one of my more recent issues of Cooking Light magazine, which I think I had totally forgotten about. It actually has a ton of good recipes in it, and I decided a couple of days ago that I’d make the Spice-Rubbed Steak with Avocado Lime Salsa. It was a ridiculously easy recipe, and oh my gawwwwd was it good.

Doesn’t hurt that Jay grills a pretty mean steak, too. ;)

As for the side, I was in the mood for some sort of a light, summer-like salad and I really wanted couscous. I’ve had a bag in my pantry for ages and it just sounded great. So I did a little searching on the ol’ internet and found a recipe for Summer Garden Couscous Salad from Taste of Home.

You guys…it was amazing. And easy. AND it makes a TON so I still have a bunch of leftovers for the week. I’m so freakin’ excited.

*****

Later today I have my 32-week prenatal appointment and then shortly after that Jay and I have our first childbirth class to attend. It’s gonna be a long day, but I’m excited for everything that’s happening later this afternoon!

How was everyone’s Memorial Day? Do anything fun or exciting??

1 Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty May 28, 2013 at 9:20 am

I bet you are so excited for childbirth class! That is going to be a lot of fun for both of you.
That couscous salad looks delish–I bet it would be great with quinoa too!
My weekend was full of yard work and productivity, but there was also plenty of time for relaxation as well. It was a nice LONG weekend!
Happy Tuesday!
Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty recently posted..Memorial Weekend: Productive Yet Relaxing

2 Claire @ Flake and Cake May 28, 2013 at 9:27 am

That dinner looks delicious! So summery and fresh, I’m definitely going to give it a try (my boyfriend adores steak!).
We don’t celebrate Memorial Day here in the UK but we had a Bank Holiday, meaning there was still a three day weekend. We actually bought a new pet hamster and sorted out lots of chores. Very productive – useful as my time will be now spent cooing over the new arrival!
Claire @ Flake and Cake recently posted..A Big Mo-Ment

3 Mallory @ My Quarter Life [Crisis] May 28, 2013 at 9:41 am

That looks so fresh and good!!
Mallory @ My Quarter Life [Crisis] recently posted..When Men Bring out the Crazy in You

4 Lisa May 28, 2013 at 9:44 am

Glad everything is good! I think it’s normal for people to feel really grateful and get emotional along the pregnancy line at some point! Well, I can’t say so myself, but from others that’s what I’ve heard. It’s nice to feel that way though!
Good look at your appointment today!
And that dish looks great:)

5 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns May 28, 2013 at 9:46 am

Omg that dinner looks really good!! At least when you guys do have a “real dinner” it always looks bomb. Have fun this afternoon :)
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..LOVE

6 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 28, 2013 at 9:47 am

Thank you for sharing the link for the couscous salad! That is getting bookmarked ASAP. It sounds so flavorful and I am loving the colors!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Hot and Sweet Pepper Jelly Tempeh

7 Ashley @ Life and Fitness May 28, 2013 at 9:50 am

The highlight of my Memorial Day was eating a ton of grilled food! I love grilled anything. Just can’t get enough of it :)
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..My Snazzy New Ride

8 Angela @ Beauty in Strength May 28, 2013 at 9:50 am

Your dinner looks delicious!!! The summer salad looks like it would be great with quinoa or brown rice also, and that salsa!!! LOVE anything with avocado.

Courtney, your post on your new relationship with food was SO inspiring, I took some time to write one similar. It’s a bit long, and I know you are SO busy right now, but I would be absolutely honored if you took a moment to read. :) Thank you in advance! You are such a role model for me every day. <3
Angela @ Beauty in Strength recently posted..Quitters Win, Winners Quit

9 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 28, 2013 at 10:20 am

It always helps to put things into perspective and remember that one, five, or ten years down the road, some things that we tend to get worked up about just won’t matter at all. I love those reflective days, and they tend to be even better when it’s kind of rainy and dreary out :)

I can definitely relate to not wanting to put much effort into meals, but your dinner looks amazing, and I bet it was worth the extra time spent in the kitchen. I cooked up a slightly fancier meal for a friend this weekend, and eating it definitely reminded me how rewarding it can be to spend a little more time cooking.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... cooking for friends .

10 pippa@popovertopippas May 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

Your dinner looks amazing, I need to make both dishes. Great combo!

11 Linz @ Itz Linz May 28, 2013 at 10:57 am

we went to my in-laws for dinner to which we received tooooons of leftovers :) :) always exciting because i haven’t been in the cooking mood lately either!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..GPP Fitness

12 Kaylie @ Fitness Moves You May 28, 2013 at 10:57 am

I know the feeling of not being too busy to eat real meals- glad you guys still got one in!

13 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 28, 2013 at 11:03 am

Mmmmm…yummy dinner! I’m definitely pinning the couscous salad. It looks delicious!

We had a busy weekend. We had a BBQ with friends at our house on Saturday and went to my in-laws on Sunday. At least yesterday was more low key.

Good luck at your class tonight!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Weekend Eats Recap

14 Lindsay May 28, 2013 at 11:04 am

That looks soooo good. I’ve never made my own couscous before, but I’ll have to try this recipe.
Lindsay recently posted..MRI = the tunnel of death.

15 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog May 28, 2013 at 11:11 am

Looks like a delicious recipe! My BF loves steak, so I’ll share with him.

I can image all of the emotions you are feeling – I’m not pregnant, and I’m still ridiculously emotional these days. Probably all of the weddings ;-)

This weekend was my best friend’s wedding in Newport, and despite the dreary weather, it was beautiful – I’m so happy for her!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Love and Lobster in Newport

16 Annette@FitnessPerks May 28, 2013 at 11:11 am

I love a good homemade salsa–I made some on Sunday. So so tasty!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..20 Weeks {Movement!}

17 Brittany @ DulceVie May 28, 2013 at 11:23 am

Oh. My. Gosh. That dinner looks amazing!!!
Brittany @ DulceVie recently posted..Memorial Day + Nationals

18 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 28, 2013 at 12:02 pm

We LOVE couscous! In fact… I may need to go buy some this week!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..Black Bean Chili Chicken

19 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance May 28, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I love Cooking Light. Their recipes are always fresh, tasty and healthy! I actually made a few things this weekend from both a recent and old Cooking Light issue. I haven’t tried the Spice Rubed Steak but it looks delicious!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..MEMORIAL DAY RECAP

20 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 28, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Yum! Looks delicious! Cody would LOVE this meal.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Relaxing Memorial Day

21 victoria @ reluctantlyskinny May 28, 2013 at 12:44 pm

the coucous looks amazing – it would probably work with quinoa since I’m gluten free, too! sometimes quiet days at home with a good meal are exactly what you need!
victoria @ reluctantlyskinny recently posted..MIMM: memorial day highlights

22 Lauren May 28, 2013 at 1:18 pm

It looks delicious! I might make that salad for our family picnic on Father’s Day. I have a couple of things in mind, so we’ll see! And since I always talk about the Voice with you… Who was your favorite last night? I have to say I really like Michelle. She’s growing on me every week along with the Swon brothers!

Good luck at your first childbirth class ;-)
Lauren recently posted..Butt Massages and Facebook Annoyance

23 Courtney May 28, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Haha, you know, I was only half paying attention last night so I don’t think I saw them all (and can’t even remember some of the others!). I did really like Sarah, Michelle, and Holly last night though.

24 Ellie@Fit for the soul May 28, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Yay, great job for cooking! haha I totally understand that feeling of wanting to cook more during pregnancy, but ending up eating something else. :P And I had a couscous salad type thing yesterday too and it was so good! Couscous needs to be more well known!
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Freezing Meals Ahead of Time

25 Brooke @ Running In Heels May 28, 2013 at 1:56 pm

So glad you had a great weekend! Our weekend was really relaxed, and I spent the day at the Brewer game yesterday which was a blast, even if we lost :)
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Miller Park Bound

26 Shel@PeachyPalate May 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Can’t wait to hear all about your day! Dinner side looks so good! Jumbo couscous!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Nachos Revisited

27 Christine@ Apple of My Eye May 28, 2013 at 2:16 pm

YUM! That looks so good! Sometimes putting in that extra little bit of effort makes all the difference. I’ve made a similar recipe by Cooking Light and it turned out awesome as well :)

28 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections May 28, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Wow, that dinner looks amazing! What I’d do to have a grill!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Triple Threat Half-Marathon Training

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 28, 2013 at 4:00 pm

That dinner looks great!

Hope everything goes well with your appointment/class tonight!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Meal Plan Monday: 5/27

30 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 28, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Love couscous, but it’s been ages since I’ve had it! I’m also not one to turn my nose up at a steak dinner, either ;-) no holiday up here, so my Memorial day was spent at work!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..A Lifetime of Gaming + Salad Week.

31 Leigha May 28, 2013 at 5:49 pm

oh my gosh I need to make that salad. That looks SO yummy. I’m not really a steak girl so that doesn’t really appeal to me.. but I want that salad!
Leigha recently posted..Busy girl

32 Aurora@Fitness is Sweet May 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I went rafting on Sunday! Not White Water rafting…it was much lazier than that!
Aurora@Fitness is Sweet recently posted..…And the World Didn’t End

33 Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 28, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Such a beautiful dinner! I love it when I feel inspired to cook something delicious and healthy. With the summer heat on its way I’ll feel less and less inspired to turn the oven on soon haha
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Sushi, Sangria, and More Sangria Please.

34 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats May 29, 2013 at 8:13 am

that salsa looks so delicious and pretty! Thanks for sharing. I see lots of that in my future :)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Hiking Grandfather Mountain and ignoring park ranger advice

35 Jillian @ Trail Mix Diaries June 3, 2013 at 9:16 am

I made this salad over the weekend… AMAZING. I added some sliced black olives, green pepper & used gorgonzola instead of feta. So good! Think I found a new salad to bring for those pot luck type picnics this summer! And it’s better the next day :)
Jillian @ Trail Mix Diaries recently posted..A new twist on 2 old favorites…