A Few Snippets

by Courtney on May 31, 2013

Good Morning, friends! How’s the week shaping up for you?

I’ve actually been feeling a little uninspired in the writing department lately, which is why you haven’t seen a whole lot of me this week. All is going well though, I’m happy to report! Here’s just a few snippets…

Last night Jay surprised me with a delicious dinner from Chipotle. He wasn’t going to be home for dinner originally, so when his plans changed, I told him that I had nothing on the agenda for dinner (and was most likely going to eat eggs or cereal). He took action on that one and came home with my favorite chicken fajita burrito bowl with a big ol’ side of guac.

photo

Chipotle burrito bowl = a happy Courtney. :)

I ate about half for dinner and saved the other half for today’s lunch. Win-win, if you ask me!

*****

Workouts this week have been slim. A couple busy and unmotivated days equaled no desire for workouts after work. I was trying really hard to get motivated yesterday, and almost threw in the towel, but I decided to tell myself to commit to at least 15 minutes; if I wanted to stop after that, I would.

Well, turns out all I needed was a little jump start, since I wound up going for about 50 minutes with a few videos off of FitnessGlo.

I was honestly having FUN and enjoying myself, and wound up nice and sweaty by the time I was finished (due mostly to the fact that it was crazy hot in our house last night). I felt SO much better, both mentally and physically. Again, another win-win! So happy to be able to continue exercising at 33 weeks pregnant. Let’s hope that energy sticks around for juuuuust a little longer!

*****

Part of the reason I haven’t had all that much to chat about this week is also because my meals have basically been the same thing for the past three days…

Yogurt bowls with fresh berries and cereal for breakfast.

photo 1

And leftover couscous salad with a crumbled veggie burger mixed in (OMG so good…so sad I finished up the rest of it yesterday).

photo 2

I totally need to make another batch of this over the weekend.

*****

A few more random things for today…

• I was skimming through a bunch of blogs and social media yesterday and suddenly found myself in the comparison trap. You know…the ugly, nasty route your mind takes when you start comparing yourself to everyone else. AKA, it’s ridiculousand I get so annoyed when I find it happening to me. As something that once consumed my life on a daily basis, it’s not something that I like to welcome back in, when it does decide to creep up on me. Once I realized what I was doing, I cut out social media for the day and took some time to remind myself of all the positive in my life. Unfortunately, I realize that sometimes, social media can become a bit of a trigger for me. While I’d say 90% of the time it’s for the positive, there’s still a small part of it that works against me if I’m not in the right frame of mind. Thankfully, I’ve learned to be able to identify this, so once I remove it, I feel much better. I think this just goes to show that, although someone may be in a happier place overall, it’s still possible to have those sort of days. We’re only human…we all have our hiccups. The key is to identify them and move on.

And on a little lighter note…

• Tomorrow is June, which means when someone asks me when I’m due, I can officially say “next month!” And that is crazy.
  • I have officially found a website that can get me to laugh so hard that I’m in tears…every. single. time. I. visit. If you haven’t already, please check out this website. Even if you aren’t pregnant, I think you’ll still find it amusing. If not, you can’t be human.
  • I accidentally forgot to order a decaf iced coffee this morning (for Coffee Friday!) and I think Baby Tooth knows it. Whewwweeee is he on the move this morning…too bad the little caffeine isn’t helping his mama out at all (never has, never will).

Have a great Friday and a great weekend, everyone. :)

1 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 31, 2013 at 9:50 am

Yay for Chipotle! I recently found out from another blogger that you get a lot more guac if you order it on the side. I absolutely do that from now on because that is definitely one of the best parts!

Happy Friday! :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Asian Baked Tofu

2 Ellie@Fit for the soul May 31, 2013 at 7:03 pm

oh no way!!! hhaha I’m totally trying that next time. :D
And Courtney, I appreciate your thoughts on social media! I agree that social media can be used for the good but due to our human-ness we can all easily fall into a trap of comparison and stuff. I think the hardest one for me would be facebook. I don’t use it for blogging purposes (just my personal account) but it’s pretty challenging sometimes if I’m not careful!
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..What Pregnancy Has Taught Me

3 Lisa May 31, 2013 at 9:50 am

I think it’s really great you’ve realized that social media can be a little bit of a trigger for you. It sucks, since it’s all around us…but I’ve found myself in the same thoughts sometimes if I use it everyday or too much which is why a little break can be really refreshing.
I think Chipotle really needs to come to Canada, I’m dying to try it!
And SO exciting that basically in a day you can say you’re due next month!
Lisa recently posted..Coffee Talk and Cherry Avocado Pudding

4 Brooke @ Running In Heels May 31, 2013 at 9:51 am

You are amazing for sticking with fitness throughout your pregnancy! You look amazing too! :)
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..5 Things Friday

5 Courtney May 31, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Haha, thanks Brooke! :)

6 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 31, 2013 at 9:54 am

Yum! I love Chipotle! Their guacamole is SO good. I think it’s the best part of the burrito bowl personally :)

Have a great weekend!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Fun Finds Friday: Fashion Edition!!!…

7 Sara May 31, 2013 at 9:54 am

My obsession with Chipotle has become stalker-like obsessed. I swear they put something in that guac that just keeps me coming back for more!

On a more serious note, I find myself falling into the comparison trap too – ESPECIALLY while on social media. I just wrote a blog post about it that I think you and others will be able to relate to. Because even though sometimes look perfect from the outside looking in, it’s not.

Have a great weekend :)
Sara recently posted..Photo Friday 5/31/13: {Love}

8 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle May 31, 2013 at 10:00 am

LOVE Chipotle. It always makes my day better! Crazy you can say “I’m due next month”– time is flyin’!
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..Caitlyn Goes to Body Pump

9 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns May 31, 2013 at 10:06 am

Happens to everyone! Sometimes you just need a little break from writing :) That cous cous looks good! Yay for coffee! I’ve been craving one myself lately. I’m so excited for Baby Tooth to come :D
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Les Be Honest: Spiders And Snakes

10 Gracie May 31, 2013 at 10:08 am

I’m with you on the social media. In fact, if I wasn’t a blogger, I don’t think I’d be on any forms of social media (pendulum swing, much? haha). While I love keeping in touch with people that I might not otherwise, it just can be so overwhelming sometimes! Too much clutter. I found myself taking a 4-day break last week, and it was so refreshing. Definitely going to unplug more often!
Gracie recently posted..lessons lately.

11 Courtney May 31, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more!

12 Lindsay May 31, 2013 at 10:10 am

It’s nice to hear I’m not the only one who gets stuck in the comparison trap. I like to skim through lots of blogs, and sometimes it’s just a little overwhelming. When I feel myself getting down or thinking negative thoughts about myself, I do the same thing you do – close out my browser. Not going to let silly things like that ruin my day! Have a great Friday!
Lindsay recently posted..high five friday #23: new domain.

13 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 31, 2013 at 10:16 am

I just had someone write a guest post for me yesterday re: the comparison trap. It’s a good one! And yes, I have to take a step away from social media at times too when I start to realize what I’m doing to myself. I’m glad I’m able to realize it now before I get into it too deep though.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Hunter: 9 Weeks

14 Courtney May 31, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Hahaha, I actually finished writing my post then went to my reader and saw your guest post…and chuckled out loud. ;)

15 Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails May 31, 2013 at 10:16 am

The Pregnant Husband just had me crying from laughing so hard, that is hilarious! And I now need Chipotle for lunch or dinner- thanks a lot! :)
Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails recently posted..Bolder Boulder 2013

16 Courtney May 31, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Isn’t it great?!? I seriously cannot stop myself from full out bursts of laughter when I read some of those. The way I can relate to some of them is just too spot on!

17 Ashley @ Life and Fitness May 31, 2013 at 10:17 am

Mmmm that burrito bowl looks yummy! I tend to eat the same foods over and over again. If its not broken dont fix it right?
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..As of Lately

18 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers May 31, 2013 at 10:18 am

My 15 minute sessions usually turn into longer workouts, funny how that works. :) Gotta check out more of that pregnant hubby website. I just clicked over, and so far so good! heehee
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Fit { And Not So Fit } Favorites

19 Betty May 31, 2013 at 10:27 am

oh dear – the daddy site is so funny – thanks for introducing me to that ! yup, it’s June, it’s your month – oh my – have a good weekend.

20 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 31, 2013 at 10:28 am

I really need to get to Chipotle…that burrito bowl looks yummy!

I totally didn’t feel like working out last night and was so tired, but I made myself go to Zumba, and after about 5 minutes, I got my second wind and had a blast. Isn’t it weird how that happens sometimes? I felt so much better afterwards too!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..A Taste of the Season

21 Courtney May 31, 2013 at 12:51 pm

It definitely is weird how it happens…but I’m glad it does! :)

22 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 31, 2013 at 10:48 am

While I’m a huge fan of cereal for dinner, I’ve got to admit that I’d much prefer something from Chipotle. Now if only they’d get their act together and come up to Canada! And I love your honesty when it comes to the comparison trap. I’m in a much better place with all that than I used to be as well, but there are definitely still days where not beating myself up over certain things is harder than it is on others. We just have to remember that we’re all different, and that’s what makes life interesting :)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #33 .

23 Jolynn May 31, 2013 at 10:49 am

hahaha!! I just spent WAY too much time on that website. Hilar!
Jolynn recently posted..Simply Bar Winner Announced!

24 Lauren May 31, 2013 at 11:07 am

I always find myself into the comparison trap but you’re spot on when you say the most important thing is to catch yourself in the act. Then, discard it. Actually, when you said you ate half the Chipotle salad I thought, “Damn, I eat the whole thing in one sitting”. I think we just do it out of habit. Have a great day and I hope the little man gets all his energy out soon for you! ;-)
Lauren recently posted..May Foodie Pen Pals!

25 Courtney May 31, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Haha, I typically would too, but lately I just fill up soooo quickly! Baby Tooth is taking up precious stomach room in there. ;)

26 Danica @ It's Progression May 31, 2013 at 11:22 am

I’m right there with you on the social media/comparison trap struggle…like you said too, 90% of the time it’s positive and motivating for me to improve my life, but that 10% of the time it makes me doubt myself and be very negative about where I’m at/what I do or don’t do…
You should be so proud of yourself for being at this point where you know when it’s a trigger for you and that you can (and do) step away from it to avoid falling completely into that trap!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Friday!

27 Jenny May 31, 2013 at 11:24 am

I feel ya on the comparison thing! I actually haven’t posted for a week until today. I felt I just needed a break from it all! Good for you for noticing it before it caught you! :-)
Jenny recently posted..May Foodie Pen Pals!

28 Jade May 31, 2013 at 11:40 am

I agree with the “hard not to compare”. I had my kid basically a year ago, I’m not where I would want to be body wise but I’m getting there just not as fast. I do really like to look at body updates of ladies who were pregnant but the last one I saw I was like “poor me” as hers was 6 weeks, what looks to be a flat, all her abs back stomach… but I had to remind myself we have different stories, different babies, different metabolisms so I can’t compare myself.

29 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 31, 2013 at 11:44 am

Ugh, the dreaded comparison trap. I’m in a better place with it than I was, but I still fall victim to it once in a while…this week has been particularly bad for it, frustratingly so. It’s great that you’re able to recognize when it’s happening and take a step back.

I’ve still had yet to have Chipotle. And that saddens me….they need to get up to Canada!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Things Friday 05/31/13.

30 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog May 31, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Congrats on being one month out! So exciting :-)

I have to say that I am just so impressed that you pulled off 50 minutes of exercise at this point in your pregnancy. That’s inspiring! Also impressed with your restraint never eating the whole Chipotle. Smart girl.
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Kitchen Adventures in Whipped Cream

31 Courtney May 31, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Haha, well I always used to eat the whole thing. It just seems that as of late, Baby Tooth is taking up precious stomach room in there and I’m filling up much quicker than normal. ;)

32 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives May 31, 2013 at 1:24 pm

The 15 min. workout turning into a longer workout is sooo me…sorta. Some mornings I wake up thinking I absolutely wanna skip the AM workout today and then, I’ll get up for something random (like a drink of water because I’m thirsty), and before you know it, I’m on the treadmill. Crazy how that works sometimes. I also had a bit of a writing funk this week, but methinks its because I’m still in “vacation mode.” :-p
Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..Friday Funnies!

33 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 31, 2013 at 1:29 pm

This is the first year I didn’t go to the beach with all my friends for Memorial Day Weekend and I felt the same way you did after being on social media the rest of the week. Seeing their pictures and statuses was so depressing and I had to remind myself that I love everything about my life and that even though I didn’t go to the beach, I had a wonderful weekend doing things that were more important to me. I think everyone has these “bad days” and sometimes all you need to do is step away and remind yourself why your life is so awesome!! And yours is awesome!!
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..Favorite Things Friday!

34 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 31, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Oh my goodness, that website is so funny. I love the domino one. Hilarious!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A baby-related giveaway!

35 victoria @ reluctantly skinny May 31, 2013 at 2:43 pm

i was so exhausted last night, but forced myself to go to yoga, and i am SO glad i did. felt better within a few minutes. chipotle will make me feel better too, but in a different way =)
it’s good to take a step away from social media every once in a while, even for a day! you have to do you, but it can be hard to ignore all the comparisons that are out there!
victoria @ reluctantly skinny recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals: May Reveal

36 Cori @ olivetorun May 31, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Just wanted to send you some love (after reading the comparison trap part) and tell you that you’re awesome, beautiful, and we love you :) Stay positive girl! You rock.
Cori @ olivetorun recently posted..Ten [kind of] Month of May Favorites…

37 Marissa @ Barefoot Colorado May 31, 2013 at 3:14 pm

You’re almost there! Congrats, that is so exciting! I’m also happy that you’re a yogurt/cereal bowl lover, just like myself :)

38 Stacey M. May 31, 2013 at 3:31 pm

With respect to the “comparison trap” you recently found yourself in, just remember that there are probably people out there who look at YOUR life and think the same things you do when you look at theirs. I have to remind myself all the time that most people only ever discuss the “good stuff” on social media – I mean, who wants to write about the negative thoughts they have about their body, their home, their career, or even their life? Glad to hear that you’re not afraid to step back from everything and just live your own life – I think we could all benefit from doing this more often. Life is SO much more enjoyable when you stop comparing yourself and your experiences to others. You absolutely have SO many things to be thankful for, especially now!

39 Courtney May 31, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Thanks, Stacey. You’re so right…those are all really excellent points to make!!

40 Leigha May 31, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I’m so happy you realized your trigger. Us humans get so wrapped up in social media that we forget to look around and enjoy everything! I need to make some of that veggie couscous. Have a great weekend! :D
Leigha recently posted..Run for Joe

41 Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner May 31, 2013 at 4:09 pm

It’s definitely easy to get caught up in the comparison trap…I struggle with it myself. I admire all your honesty!
That couscous salad looks delish, too!
Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner recently posted..May Foodie Pen Pals

42 Tara@PNWRunner May 31, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I cannot believe we are half way through 2013 already! Crazy! I bet you are excited for next month. Are you nervous at all?
Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..Fun Facts Friday 5/31/2013

43 Courtney May 31, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Not so much about giving birth…I am nervous about afterwards though! Talk about major changes, haha! :)

44 Natalie @ Free Range Human May 31, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I can totally relate to your thoughts on social media. I really love our blogging community, but there are times when the comparison trap gets overwhelming. I think identifying it is key, and taking some time away is a good thing!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Worth A Thousand Words

45 Colleen May 31, 2013 at 4:46 pm

MMMM… Chipotle. At it yesterday and it was amazing as always! :)

It’s fun to be able to say “I’m due next month”. Wait until it’s “I’m due next week”. I’m at that stage and it’s slightly frightening!

Social media can be a blessing and a curse. While I appreciate people’s opinions, I hate the comparisons as well. It’s not a pretty thing. Good for you for backing off and knowing your limits!

LOVE the pregnant dad website. Totally makes me snort! :)

46 Karen May 31, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Def happens to everyone and I find myself getting worse with the little one. Everyone is always comparing kids and I just don’t like it. How exciting that you’re due next month…YAY!! Have a great weekend!
Karen recently posted..Friday Favorites

47 Eryn @ Blond Minded Brunette May 31, 2013 at 6:17 pm

That Chipolet salad looks beyond amazing! Wish we had one near us. :( On a happier note, I’m due July too and can not wait to be able to say “next month” as well! It’s the little things right?! :)

48 Steph May 31, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Good job on being able to figure out you were doing the “comparison trap”. We all do this. And it must be a time in the year all of us are! Haha. Especially after reading Ashley’s blog yesterday!
Lately I found myself comparing my relationship to other people’s relationships. I was feeling “off” or disappointed that my bf was not acting how my other friends’ boyfriends were. (But really, I have no reason to do this because he is AMAZING and secondly, that’s not even like me to compare!) So when I step back and look at the whole picture, I have a loving man in my life who is absolutely amazing and would do anything for me. And really….it doesn’t get much better than that.
I think we all just start getting expectations on what things SHOULD be like…instead of enjoying what we DO have at the time. So I am trying to enjoy everything that is going on in my life :)
Steph recently posted..Currently….

49 Lauren @ LaMaLu Boutique May 31, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Comparison is the thief of joy – I always try to be conscious of social media use because I find the same thing happening to me.

50 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 31, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I haven’t had Chipotle in a while, and now I’m craving it big time! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Currently…

51 Kate May 31, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I looooove Chipotle — and always get guac on the side! You get so much more!!

The comparison trap is sooo easy to fall into on social media. I actually ended up deleting my Facebook because of it, because I felt like Facebook (at least in my circle of friends) became this big contest of who had the best life: who got to travel the most, who was getting engaged, who was losing weight, who is graduating early, whatever.
I always have to remind myself that people don’t POST the bad days – you can make yourself look however you want to on social media.

That being said, deleting my Facebook and Instagram was an awesome decision for me, and I haven’t missed it one bit since!

52 Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom June 1, 2013 at 9:13 am

Uh oh..I guess I’m not human cuz I totally didn’t laugh at that blog. Not once. I guess everyone has different definitions of humor.
Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom recently posted..I’ve Created A (Crib) Monster

53 Courtney June 2, 2013 at 8:58 am

Haha oh no, really? Not once?? :) Haha but you’re right, we all have different definitions of funny!

54 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections June 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Props to you for opening up about the social media thing. I agree that 90% of the time it’s good. I think just having so much of our lives online makes it seem like everything we do is up for comparison, even if we don’t mean it to be. I think it’s amplified when you’re a blogger at the same time. That’s a good idea to just step away from it though.
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Mary Kay Makeup Review

55 Holly June 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm

DYING laughing at that site. Hilarious..and So true!!
I hope your week has improved, I know the ups & downs are hard, especially while pregnant. Know that I”m thinking of you!
Holly recently posted..& It Continues…

56 Kelly @ Femme Fitale June 1, 2013 at 7:58 pm

It’s interesting that you brought up your feelings re: comparing with others (blogging, lifestyle, etc). Sometimes it makes me feel awful, too. Interestingly enough, this morning I actually pinned a related quote to one of my boards:

“The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with someone else’s highlight reel.”

It’s something that I try to remember whenever I find myself entering that frame of mind. xo
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Staying Strong: Fitness Before & After Pregnancy

57 Kate June 1, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I love that quote!! Thanks for sharing.
Kate recently posted..Summertime Survey

58 Kristi June 1, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I always fall into the comparison trap… and thinks it’s a great idea to cut yourself out from social media for a day and take a breather.

59 Health_adventure June 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Thanks for recommendation the workout site. I will definitely try the workouts :) ☄ ❣
Health_adventure recently posted..♥ My Favorite Healthy Zero Calories Drink + My Little Tea Bag Review ♥

60 Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats June 3, 2013 at 8:51 am

Thank you so much for posting that pregnancy/hilarity blog – especially since I pretty much pulled the pizza shenanigans from April 22nd’s post on my husband this weekend. HA! The things we pregnant women will do for food! So glad you’re feeling great, too. Only a few more weeks to go! :)
Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites + We Bought a House!