Baby Tooth’s First Shower

Yesterday, Jay and I were very fortunate to be able to spend the afternoon with family and celebrate with them at our first baby shower.

Isn’t that cake just adorable? Make sure you look closely at the flower…and the little babe sleeping on top of it.

It was a small, intimate shower with most of Jay’s side of the family, which meant that I got to spend more time with some of my favorite cousin friends. Always love seeing them.

Everything was put together by my mother-in-law, who did a really amazing job, and there was no doubt that she really made the two of us feel quite special and loved.

Unfortunately, I realized after the fact that I didn’t do the best job of getting pictures of everything, due in part to my mingling with guests and not already having the camera in my hand. But we had a delicious, late lunch, and guests got to play a cute “What’s Mommy Thinking?” game, as well as decorate some diapers.

I haven’t had a chance to check out the diapers yet, but I can’t wait to see what kind of messages were left for the two of us. We’ll keep those diapers for the “late night changings,” when we might need an extra laugh or two. :)

After lunch, it was time to open gifts, and Jay and I were on the spot.

I had to laugh because this was the first time that Jay has ever gotten to really experience a shower…

And he didn’t realize I was going to make him sit up front with me and open gifts. ;)

Baby Tooth received lots of adorable, generous gifts yesterday and now with having it all sitting in our living room, things are starting to seem even more real. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

*****

It was a great afternoon spent with family, and the two of us left certainly feeling very blessed…unfortunately, as great of a day that it was, my weekend wasn’t filled with all positive news.

Sadly, late Saturday morning, I received the news that my grandma had passed away.

(Back on her 85th birthday in 2010)

Grandma hadn’t been doing well for a while now. Last week was her birthday and my whole family was able to get together at the same time to visit her in the nursing home, which was nice. Although she was a little out of it, she knew that we were all there and that’s what mattered most. In fact, she still even had her moments and managed to greet me by saying “Hey there, potbelly!” and proceeded to say how she still couldn’t believe I was having a baby. She made me laugh…and she’s the only one I’ll let get away with calling me potbelly.

She went peacefully in her sleep, which is all we could ask for, and as sad as it is to have her pass on, our family is all finding comfort in the fact that she’s no longer suffering. So now, she’s probably up in Heaven with my grandpa and the two of them-I’m sure-are probably out on the bowling lanes and drinking their cups of coffee…grandpa with his Boston Cream, and grandma with her plain cake donut to dunk.

*****

Comments

What a ride this post is. I was smiling at the shower pics. You are seriously such a cute pregnant lady I can’t get over it. Hooray for Jay’s first shower experience. :) Glad you had a good time and got to soak it all in ! I’m so sorry for the loss of your grandma. I will keep her in my prayers.
    Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..Liebster Award

Sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family. I am happy you enjoyed your shower this weekend. Are you having one on your side? Baby & Bridal Showers are so much fun!! Have a great week!!
    Karen recently posted..Weekend In Photos…

3. Christine says

So sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother, sending positive thoughts and wishes to you and your family.

4. EG Gal says

So sorry to hear about your Grandma.

I had no idea that was your mother-in-law. We attend Holy Spirit and always see her there. She is so sweet and great with everybody there.

5. Kristin says

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother, thoughts are with you and your family.

Your shower cake is sooooooooooo adorable – the little baby flower is the cutest!!!

6. Caroline says

That cake.. IS ADORABLE. That little baby is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I am also so sorry to hear about your grandma. I recently lost mine as well. And while it’s never easy, it’s always comforting to know they are no longer suffering. Hang in there :)

Sorry for the loss of your gram Court, I know how hard it is to lose a grandparent. Sending love and prayers to you and your family <3

Your shower looked beautiful and so did YOU! I am glad you and Jay had such a special day, you both deserved it!

Send hugs ‘n’ love your way. Saying good bye to a loved one is especially difficult (especially when it’s one you’re close enough to to let them call you potbelly). You’re shower looks fun, intimate, and full of love!

Sounds like you had such a wonderful baby shower and the cake is beautiful! I love the baby in the flower…so cute!

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandma. Losing loved ones is so difficult, but at least she’s in a good place now and she is reunited with your grandpa.
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Weekend Recap

10. Carol T. says

Courtney:

I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. My prayers go out to you and your family. She is now watching over you and sweet Baby Tooth….

My grandmother passed away about 6 months ago and it was the hardest thing for me to accept. I know she’s with my Grandfather, though, and happy to be looking down on me. <3 I'm sending lots of love to your family.
    Lauren recently posted..May Foodie Pen Pals!

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandmother, but I’m glad that she went peacefully. My best friend’s grandpa passed right around the time she had her first baby. As cheesy as it sounds, it gave her comfort to think about the whole “circle of life thing.” I love the image of your grandparents in heaven dunking donus :-) Thinking of you and your family!
    Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Sweat, Ballpark Food and Pantry Raids

What a beautiful baby shower Courtney! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your grandmother sounds like such a strong woman, and she will be looking down with pride on her great grandson soon!
    Angela @ Beauty in Strength recently posted..Labeling

14. Jess says

So sorry to hear about your grandmother, Courtney. That was a beautiful post in her memory. And also a beautiful baby shower! You have such an amazing support system – baby tooth is such a lucky little guy already!

Congratulations Courtney on your first shower, don’t blink because all of those diapers are gonna disappear FAST! :) And I’m so sorry to hear about your grandmother, love and prayers to you and your family!!

16. Kristen says

Im very sorry to hear about your loss. I love that you said your grandma is with your grandpa now bowling and drinking their coffee. Sometimes its hard to remember that they’re now in a place of no sadness or pain!

17. Stacey M. says

So sorry to hear about your grandmother Courtney. Sending my deepest sympathies to you and your family during this difficult time. She may be gone, but she is certainly in a better place and will not be forgotten by those who loved her.

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss, Courtney. I know it’s never easy, but I’m glad that she went peacefully and that you were able to enjoy so many years with her. I hope those good memories are what you cling to in the coming days!

19. Nicole says

Sending lots of love and care to you and your family with the loss of your Grandma. I hope the special memories you have of her replay in your heart often.
    Cheers for a great first baby shower!! What a cute party!

20. Kellie says

So sorry to hear about your Grandma. Such a bittersweet weekend for sure. Soak up all that extra love!

21. Betty says

I had read that this am about your grandmother – so sorry for you and your family. But sunday – what a great looking party – sweet cake – may the ups and downs of this week be more up than down – take care

22. Krystan says

So sorry about your grandma…we are never prepared to lose a loved one. I’m glad that she went peacefully and I will be praying for your family through this time!

Happy you were able to have a fun shower this weekend too…it is so much fun getting all those cute items and it certainly does make it feel even more real! It’s really not that far away now!

23. Shelly says

I’m sorry for your loss. I’m glad you can have the comfort of knowing your grandma is in a better place.

You look gorgeous, Courtney, and I’m so glad you had a good time at your shower!

I am so, so sorry to hear about your grandma’s passing. It sounds like she was a fun lady. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..MIMM: Bloom

I’m so very sorry for your loss. Your grandma sounds like a wonderful woman, and I hope, in time, that you’ll all be able to look back on the memories with smiles instead of tears. Sending many prayers your family’s way.
    Shari recently posted..Road Trip.

26. Sarah says

What a beautiful cake and shower! So sorry to hear about your grandma. Now she’s also watching over you with your grandpa and will of course be with you on the very special day of the birth of her great grandson. I think it’s so ironic how it always seems to come true what they say: when someone in your family passes away another person soon has a baby.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

27. Tara says

Courtney, I am so sorry for your loss. Your grandma sounded like one amazing woman and she will be looking down on you and Baby Tooth!

Oh Courtney~it’s always so hard to see someone leave this world. But I truly hope that your family will experience a time of crazy unity through this and sense God’s amazing love for you all. So sorry for your grandma’s passing away, but so thankful for the new life that is about to fill your home with your lil baby!
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Succulent Bulgogi Recipe {Low Sugar}

First off, I’m so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Never easy saying goodbye, but I know that she’s watching over you!!!

Glad that you had such a great time at the shower… looks like you are a very loved mommy to be!

30. Sue says

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. Even though she isn’t suffering anymore, it’s still hard to lose a family member. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

31. Karleenka says

So sorry to hear about your loss Courtney. Hope your family is doing well and I’m happy you got celebrate the expectantly of a new life this past weekend as well:)

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. It’s always so hard losing a family member. Sending lots of love and warm thoughts your way!

PS – I totally wouldn’t have spotted that baby in the flower on your cake if you hadn’t pointed it out. Too cute!
    Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..sick {not the good kind}