Baby Tooth: 34 Weeks

by Courtney on June 11, 2013

And here we are, yet again, with another week gone by!

34 Weeks

Baby Tooth is just over 34 weeks today and is about the size of a cantaloupe.

Here’s what Baby Tooth has been up to this week:

• Baby Tooth weighs about 4 3/4 pounds and is almost 18 inches long.
  • His fat layers — which will help regulate body temperature once he’s born — are filling him out, making him rounder.
  • His skin is also smoother than ever.
  • His central nervous system is maturing and his lungs are continuing to mature as well.

And here’s what’s been happening with me this past week:

Weight gained: Not sure, but we have another appointment today so I’m sure I’ll find out.

Workouts: Pretty sure I was able to get three legit workouts in this past week – some Pilates, some strength, and some cardio…a good mix of everything!

Symptoms:

• Low back pain, hip/leg pain, and occasional groin pain – actually, the groin pain has definitely increased in the past couple of days, contributing to my sexy waddle I have going on.
  • Filling up quick after meals
  • Decreased hunger and not as much interest in food in general
  • Bathroom trips all the time
  • Get out of breath easily if walking quickly, and especially when going up stairs
  • General uncomfortable feeling that comes and goes

Movement: Absolutely! I love watching what he’s doing and trying to figure out what body parts are where.

Food Aversions: None.

Food Cravings: Not too many – all carbs still always sound good, and butter and mayo have been my condiments of choice. Other than that, I’ve just been trying to eat a good mix of everything.

Sleep: Something tells me this category is just going to keep going downhill as we go through these final few weeks…it’s not great, but it’s not awful. Yet.

Stretch marks? Belly is still stretch mark free! Wahoo!

Miss Anything? All the same stuff as last week.

Fun and/or Interesting Things from the Week: Our second baby shower, which was a blast (recap coming later this morning).

Thanks to our showers, we’re now certainly in “baby mode” over here! Baby stuff is literally ALL over our house which is totally making things seem even more real.

Belly Button in or out? It’s still in there, minus the little part that sticks out on top. It’s too funny.

Wedding rings on or off? On and fitting well most of the time, unless I’m super warm.

Happy or moody most of the time: Happy! I’ve been feeling so blessed and excited about everything. It’s still just SO crazy to think that at this time next month, he could be here any time. It just boggles my mind!

New Baby Items: Oh my gosh…so many!

Not only did we get a great majority of the items off of our baby registry, but this little guy is going to be one sharply dressed little dude. He already has so many adorable outfits waiting for him!

Looking Forward To: Tonight we finish our childbirth classes, so I’m looking forward to seeing what we’ll learn then. I’m also super excited for our final ultrasound that we’ll be getting two weeks from today…hopefully he’ll cooperate and show us his little mug. Winking smile

This coming week, I’m also planning on getting some things together to pack our hospital bag, (hopefully) finding curtains (thanks for all the suggestions on Friday!), getting the bedding washed and on the crib, and attempting to put away the rest of Baby Tooth’s new goodies!

Question for the Moms and Moms-to-Be:

Only 6 weeks (or less!) left…what recommendations/suggestions do you have for me?!

1 Karen Scroope June 11, 2013 at 7:33 am

My suggestion- pack your hospital bag early! You may think you have plenty of time but trust me you never know! My water broke suddenly at 35 1/2 weeks and I was a bit unprepared! I’m not trying to scare you just be aware. :)

2 cathy June 11, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Good advice. Same thing happened to me at 36 weeks.

3 Beth June 11, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I third that suggestion! Same thing happened to me! Pack early!

4 Nicole June 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Yes! PACK EARLY!

5 Heather @fitncookies June 11, 2013 at 7:36 am

I can’t wait to hear about the second shower! It looks like your house is packed with things.. not necessarily a bad way to have a cluttered house ;) Enjoy the last few weeks of being pregnant! I hear they go by super fast!
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Cardio and Core Circuit

6 Shannon Smith June 11, 2013 at 7:58 am

I kept worrying that I wouldn’t know when I was in labor. Everyone kept telling me that I would. I was stressing out towards the last few weeks just praying for it all to be over with. Wishing everyday that she would just come out already. Well my water broke on my due date when I was totally relaxed, laughing on the couch with a friend. My advice is to just take it easy these last few weeks. He will come when he is ready and trust me you will know when you are in labor.

7 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 11, 2013 at 8:01 am

Holy cow, how did you get to 34 weeks? That seems like a big week to me for some reason. :) And is that a baby bottle filled with punch that you’re drinking? If so, that’s hilarious!

8 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction June 11, 2013 at 8:20 am

Hospital Bag:
Charging cable for cell
Snacks for you & Jay {hospital food in the middle of the night is awful – I packed teddy grahams, goldfish, fruit, and some candy for Tim}
Your own pillow
Makeup {I felt much better after the first shower after labor & putting on makeup made me feel better for some reason}
Comfy clothes
Your own bath towel! &toiletries

I cannot believe you are so close! Eeek – enjoy your time together as a couple :)
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Monday Funday – Weekly Goals

9 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 11, 2013 at 8:25 am

I’d say that you are pretty well stocked up with all of the things that you need for when baby arrives. Thank goodness for baby registries and showers (and of course generous people!). Can you imagine having to buy all of that? Children sure are expensive!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Trader Joe’s Tuesday: Organic Superfood Pilaf + French Yellow Beans

10 Nicole @ Curly Mommy June 11, 2013 at 8:33 am

I definitely second what someone else said about going early- my water broke at 36 weeks, so good call on getting your bag ready, just in case ;) The one thing I was really glad I brought to the hospital was my own pajamas (NOT pre-baby pajamas….. that will just make you sad when you try to fit them over your new baby hips) No one wants to waddle around post birth in those awful hospital gowns. You look wonderful!! Good luck these next couple of weeks :)
Nicole @ Curly Mommy recently posted..Hey, remember me?

11 Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom June 11, 2013 at 8:36 am

Go see a movie. Go on a fancy date night. Stock up on your toiletries because you may not get out for a few weeks after little man is born (make sure you get yourself some nursing pads and some ginormous flotation devices AKA maxi pads for the hospital and first few weeks). Get some throw away granny panties and PJ pants or boxer shorts. Nap. A lot. Read trashy tabloid magazines and *not* parenting books. Get a massage. Let hubby cater to your every whim.
Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom recently posted..Parenting in the Public Eye

12 Jessica June 11, 2013 at 8:55 am

You look fantastic!! And you and jay are soo cute and look so happy :) I would pack a night gown to wear after the delivery (for, um, all the checking they do after the delivery)….definitely toiletries – I felt SO much better after showering and it was nice beign able to use all my own stuff…SNACKS are a definite must, I delivered at 4 am so it was nice to have something light before visitors started arriving!!

13 sara @ fitcupcaker June 11, 2013 at 9:04 am

congrats, Im not a mom yet so no real advice but you will do great :)
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Getting Back On Track and Fish Tacos

14 Danica @ It's Progression June 11, 2013 at 9:13 am

Yay! You’re getting so close!! You look absolutely beautiful and I’m excited to read about your 2nd baby shower!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..“Slim for Life” book review

15 Tegan @ Happy Healthy Whole June 11, 2013 at 9:15 am

I’m not a mum yet but I would say cherish the time with your husband because these are the last few weeks it will be just the two of you xx

16 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 11, 2013 at 9:41 am

You’re getting so close…how exciting! Looks like Baby Tooth is all set to go…I can’t believe how much stuff you got…that’s awesome!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Calorie Explosion

17 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 11, 2013 at 9:46 am

Sleep as much as you can! And go out on a date or two with Jay!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Break Day

18 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health June 11, 2013 at 9:53 am

Congratulations on having such a healthy pregnancy so far! You look gorgeous! Have you gone for your second ultrasound to check his weight yet?
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Roasted Corn & Tomato Summer Salad with Lemon- Basil Yogurt Dressing

19 Courtney June 11, 2013 at 10:15 am

We have that two weeks from today! :)

20 Katy @ HaveYouHurd June 11, 2013 at 10:14 am

I’m only a few weeks ahead of you so I don’t really have any advice. We’re pretty much as ready as we can be (stuff wise) and it’s nice to know everything is up and ready to go and all we’re waiting for is baby. So I’d say just try to get as much done as you can, but also don’t stress over anything that’s not done. All baby needs is food, shelter and love! As long as you have that…you’re set :)
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Week 37 Update

21 Karen June 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

RELAX & SLEEP!! Take advantage of the next 6 weeks to get things done that will be harder to do the first few weeks with baby boy!!!
Karen recently posted..Tone-It Up Tuesday

22 lauren June 11, 2013 at 10:38 am

I’m 35 weeks and these suggestions that baby can come early are making me nervous ;) I’m super jealous that you’re getting another ultrasound, my last one was at 19 weeks!
My plan is to pick up / order stuff I want to pack my bag this week. I figure even if it isn’t packed, I’ll have a few hours when labor starts! What kind of pj’s are you packing? I’ve heard some say definitely get a black nursing nightgown and some say that I’ll want a nursing tank and comfy bottoms b/c of “everything going on”.
Our nursery isn’t ready since my BIL moves out on the 1st, but our bassinet is all ready to go.

23 Krystan June 11, 2013 at 11:01 am

The countdown is really on! I’m also only a few weeks ahead of you and feel just as nervous about being prepared (still haven’t got that hospital bag packed yet…) so I can’t really help in that department. I have to agree with the people who told you sleep goes downhill :( Lots more tossing and turning, bathroom trips, plus just mind racing all the time!

How come you are having a 36 week ultrasound? I’m just wondering because my doctor’s office only does third trimester ultrasounds if they are worried about something like placenta previa…

24 Courtney June 11, 2013 at 11:18 am

Typically, that’s what they do at my place too…but when I asked if I’d have another one, they kindly offered to do it. They’re just going to be “double checking the weight” :)

25 Krystan June 11, 2013 at 11:25 am

Fun! I’m jealous :)

26 Lauren June 11, 2013 at 11:12 am

I’m happy to hear you’re having a wonderful pregnancy! It’s always good for things to be going smoothly for you and at least you’re getting SOME sleep!
Lauren recently posted..All About My Knees

27 Barbara June 11, 2013 at 11:42 am

Pack your hospital bag (echoing what everyone else said- someone had a good list including phone charger.) Don’t forget to pack a little outfit for the baby to come home in. I’d go ahead and {have Jay} set up the car seat in your car so it’s ready for the ride home from the hospital. And as best you can, have the baby’s things ready at home, like have his changing table all set up, crib set up, etc.

Lastly, also to echo others – enjoy a date or two with hubby because you “two” will be “three” before you know it (sorry Cody, 3 human beings). Enjoy each others uninterrupted time together!

So happy for you!

Barbara

28 Sue June 11, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I had to laugh when you mentioned packing your hospital bag. When I was pregnant for my daughter (16 years ago) my husband was “helping” and packed my bag for me. It’s a good thing I checked what he packed because he packed clothes that I hadn’t worn in 9 months and certainly wouldn’t have fit into right after I had the baby. We still laugh over that. He really was trying to be nice and helpful. I can’t remember what else I packed since it was so long ago but I do remember packing stuff I didn’t care if I got back or not. I’m so excited for you, Jay, and Cody!!!!

Sue

29 Miranda @ Miranda Runs June 11, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Ahhh so close! Can’t wait to meet baby tooth! :)
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..What’s in the shopping cart? {Grad Party}

30 Shel@PeachyPalate June 11, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I’m not a mum…but get as much sleep as you can, get your hair cut, go for a pedicure and get some food prepped and frozen – main meals and snacks! Breakfast bars, banana bread, lasagna maybe, chili…get pinning :)
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Marbled

31 Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life June 11, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Like others have mentioned I would pack your hospital bag as soon as you can. I went into my 35th week doctor’s appointment and the doctor checked my cervix randomly after I asked her what a part of the baby’s body was and she said, you are dilated and will have the baby within a week. Then I got put on bed rest and didn’t have everything ready for the baby. When the time came my contractions came on so quickly it literally took me an hour to get like 5 items together in between them. Also, I am so happy I brought my pregnancy pillow with as well and a boppy! :)

32 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 11, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Ah, I can’t believe how close you are!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Lemon and Garlic Chicken

33 Rachel S. June 12, 2013 at 9:13 am

I agree with the majority get your bag packed early, and make sure you get the car seat in as well. Then relax and enjoy the quiet. Go get a manicure and/or pedicure.
Have a date night or two.

34 Angie @ Pint of Goals June 12, 2013 at 9:19 am

It seems like everyone has already said to have your hospital bag ready, so I’ll share the advice others gave me: have freezer meals and breakfasts ready. I made a double batch of pesto meatballs, tupperwares of pulled pork, and packages of chicken sausages. I also made breakfast muffins that are in the freezer (next to all the meat – ha!).
Angie @ Pint of Goals recently posted..My Weekend Through Websites

35 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers June 12, 2013 at 10:26 am

Oh yes, I’d say you do have quite a few new baby products/items! What fun. :) Hope the appointment went well.
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..WIAW: Cereal Monster

36 Kristin June 12, 2013 at 11:13 am

Congrats Courtney! It’s so exciting that you are getting so close and you look great! Treating yourself to a spa day sounds fun – pamper yourself before the little guy arrives and you don’t have as much time. Just be careful on the pedicure – I have heard from multiple people that foot massage can actually trigger an early labor. Weird, right? Maybe that’s just an old wives tale though!

37 lindsay @ fuel my family June 12, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Prenatal massages are amazing! And go on a lot of baby free dates while you can!

38 Laura June 12, 2013 at 9:02 pm

My advice is BE READY!! I had a super smooth pregnancy and all of a sudden at exactly 35 weeks my water broke and my daughter was born that night. Nothing was washed and hospital bag was never packed! And I am such a planner but I guess I was in denial that my due date was approaching! Good luck!!

39 Ali June 16, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Rest, go to movies, and treat yourself like a queen!! Go run errands too… they are a little bit harder after baby (but still okay). Enjoy laying on the couch with nothing to do. It’s okay if not everything on your to-do list is done. Newborns don’t need much beyond their mama, a place to sleep, diapers, wipes and clothes. I was almost 40 weeks when I had my baby in March, but I had to go to the hospital earlier that I imagined and didn’t feel fully prepared even then. Needless to say it was all fine.

40 Lesley June 19, 2013 at 9:58 pm

The best thing I put in my hospital bag was some new body products. I bought a great smelling shower gel and lotion. It seems silly but after each of my babies was born, the shower the next day was heavenly. Long, warm and very comforting so having something special for myself was so nice. Good luck!