Any Must Haves?

Oh Tuesday…so we meet again.

I don’t know about you guys but Tuesday is kinda sorta my nemesis. For whatever reason, it just seems to be the absolute longest day of the week for me. I know I’ve talked about this before though, so I won’t get into it. Let’s just hope it’s a quick Tuesday!

So yesterday was a good day. Nothing in particular, really…just an overall good day. Work went quickly, I was feeling pretty good, and we got some stuff done in the nursery (I’ll get to that in a second!).

Eats yesterday (and, rather, most days lately) weren’t anything you’ve never seen before. Greek yogurt with lots of fresh berries for breakfast…

About 200 different snacks thrown into the mix between breakfast and lunch (okay, maybe only three, but I was hungry). Lunch was a simple PB&J sandwich which was supposed to go on regular bread like the photo seen below…

Only Jay quickly discovered yesterday morning that our bread was moldy (GROSS) so I had it on a sandwich thin instead. The day continued on with more snacks before heading home to see my guy…and my little furry guy. 😉

I just love how he’s always right there waiting for us when we get home. Granted, we know it’s only because he’s ready to be fed his wet food, but he still makes us feel loved. Little cutie that he is.

For dinner, I had a huge craving for pasta salad. I had bought a container of mini mozzarella balls (or “pearls” as they were called on the  package) over the weekend which I’m pretty sure were the driving force of my craving, so I threw a quick one together last night.

To make it, I simply cooked up some pasta (last night’s was Barilla veggie pasta – hence the orange color) and let it cool, then added in some scallions, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, carrots, mozz balls, and Italian dressing. Nice, cool, and refreshing on a warm night, and was enjoyed along with some leftover BBQ chicken grilled pizza.

Shortly after dinner, we had a little extra time for once, so Jay and I decided to work on putting up rain gutter bookshelves in the nursery. I’ve got to say…we are SO thrilled with how they turned out!!

And it was honestly such an easy (and cheap!) project. We bought one rain gutter (about $10), cut it into (4) 2′ sections, bought two corner brackets, and four end caps (maybe $15?). Then Jay took care of the measuring, leveling, and drilling, and within about an hour, we had our bookshelves mounted and ready for books!

I still need to get out to the store because there’s a few books I know I need/want to add to our collection that we’ve gotten started. If there’s any “must-have” recommendations you have for us to add to our collection, I’m all ears!

And hey…the Baby Tooth page was updated this morning, in case you’re interested. 😉

Happy Tuesday, everyone! Let’s hope it goes by nice and quick…but before signing off, I have to give a quick HAPPY BIRTHDAY shout out to my mama!

Hope you’re having an awesome time out on the beach without me this week. 😉 xoxo

Comments

I definitely feel you on the Tuesday’s, they’re probably my least favorite of the week. I feel Mondays are the start of the week so it’s off to a good one, and at least Wednesday is half way. Tuesday is just kind of there taunting me;)
    Looks like a good day of eats,and happy Birthday to your Mom!
    You two look a lot alike!

I’m glad I’m not the only one… Tuesday and I are arch enemies as well. It’s literally the LONGEST day of the week for me and I don’t know why! Probably because there’s no Bachelorette I’m waiting to watch when I get home that night 😉

I really love the gutter bookshelves, what a great idea and so inexpensive too!

For books – We loved a lot of the Sandra Boynton books – “The Going to bed book” and “Pajama Time” and “What’s wrong Pookie Face.” For the longest time we read “The Going to bed book” every.single.night and my son had it memorized and would “read” it to me before he was even 2, so adorable! Another favorite is “I love you through and through”

And another GREAT one is “You are my miracle” and “you are my I love you” Talk about tearjerkers!!

Oh and lastly – “On the Day you were born” LOVE!!

We love books!!
    Lauri recently posted..Livin Life

Love those shelves! We need to make some kind of shelves in the alcove in our nursery – not sure what else I would do with the big hole!

5. Kristin says

Happy B-day to your Mom!!!
    you need to get the hungry hungry caterpillar! such a cute, fun book.
    I love the rain gutter book shelve – what a clever idea!

Fred & Ted! We have that memorized – it is in a Dr Seuss collection.

I also suggest the Rock N Play – it is worth the money. It was a last minute add to my registry and we used it all the time – it was what Mason slept in while in our room for the first couple months. It was also my go to so I could shower and have him in the bathroom with me.
    Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Weekend Recap

• Casey says

I totally second I Love You Stinky Face!! It is my sons favorite. Also Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site and Little Blue Truck or Little Blue Truck Leads the Way. I made every effort to provide my son gender neutral everything (and still do), yet these 4 books are the ones we read everyday at his choosing!

I’m not a fan of Tuesdays either. They lack the “fresh start” feel of Monday, and are much too far away from Friday… and it’s raining over in these parts, which makes today even less interesting. BUT! on a more positive note, those bookshelves are absolutely adorable. One of my favorite childhood books was The Velveteen Rabbit, so that’s definitely a must-have for me!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... i wanted to be a professional race car driver .

8. Courtney says

I love, love, love the rain gutter book shelves idea, & yours turned out perfect! Once we get into our house & my kids get their playroom & their own rooms, they are a MUST! I would recommend getting the Dr. Suess collection…my son just turned 2 & he’s absolutely loved them! The rhyming patterns are fun & the silliness in a lot of them is also great for little ones :)

9. Kelly says

THE BOOKS MY GIRL LOVED (AND STILL DOES) ARE THE BOOKS BY SANDRA BOYTON??? (SPELLING) AND ALL OF THE LITTLE CRITTER BOOKS BY MERCER MAYER !

Happy birthday to your momma! The bookshelves look great! I would definitely get “Goodnight, Moon” and all of the other classics 😀

11. Abbie says

The yogurt and berries just helped me figure out what I’m having for lunch, yum!

Love you forever by Robert Munsch. Such a sweet book.

12. Lisa says

Book ideas from another former teacher…soooo many choices. My absolute favs. are Pat the Bunny and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I still have this one book I had when I was little called I Am A Bunny, but since I was born in the 70’s I don’t think it’s in print anymore, but maybe Ebay has it?

13. Anya says

Your pictures of your cat are always so cute! I have one that looks a lot like him but he’s pretty overweight and looks like he has a basketball in his stomach (sad, I know). Every time I see pictures of yours on your blog I’m reminded of what a cat is SUPPOSED to look like. Hah! Your book collection is adorable!

14. Karen says

Hi Courtney,

I am so excited for you and the arrival of Baby Tooth, I cannot wait to see him.

I thought of you over the weekend when I was watching Phanton Gourment, I live in Boston and there is a pastry shop named (almost) after you. It looks absolutely wonderful too. I hope to check it out someday. I attached the link for you.

Take Care of you and Baby Tooth

What a brilliant idea for a bookshelf! If you haven’t put on Pinterest already, you definitely should :-) I will store it in the back of my mind for a nursery one day.

I remember really loving Bernstein Bears and Amelia Bedelia growing up – such fun books. I’m also a huge Dr. Seuss fan – the books are so simple, yet smart at the same time. I also think it’s easy for kids to catch on to (for when baby tooth becomes a toddler!)
    Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Nashville Recap: Country Music and Candy-Filled Dreams

Ugh that PB&J looks DELICIOUS!! So making that for my lunch tomorrow at Yoga Training :) I would definitely add “Goodnight, Moon!” to your book collection! Always a classic :) and happy birthday to your mom! Hope you’re having a great day :)
    Brittany @ Balance and Bananas recently posted..Role Model Talk

17. Yaara Leve says

You’re getting close lady!!! Some of my faves as a little kid–
    Goodnight Moon, I love you forever, The Runaway Bunny, If you give a mouse a cookie, and anything Dr. Suess. And Happy Bday to your mama! My mama’s is actually this Thurs.

18. Caitlin says

The bookshelves look so nice and cute! I seriously cant believe you made those out of rain gutters!

Oh yummmm that pasta salad looks amazing right about now. And that’s funny that you mention your least favorite day because now that I have a newborn every day of the week just seems to mesh together and I never know what day or date it is anymore. 😛
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Selah’s Birth Story

20. Taylor says

Goodnight Moon for sure! It is absolutely amazing. If You Give A Mouse A Cookie was also one I loved as well. And the Berenstein Bears as someone else mentioned is also a really great addition. I also LOVED the Peter Rabbit books :) the shelves look fantastic! PS – our cats totally do the exact same things as Cody – buttering us up to get their wet food? Totally.

Eric Carle and Lio Lionni, for sure! Greeeeat colors/graphic images in both and Eric Carle is FABULOUS at sneaking in lessons on colors, time, etc. Oh, and a ton of nursery rhymes (Mother Goose), repetitive stories (Five Little Monkeys), and “sing-songy” stories (Baby Beluga).

Maddux’s favorite book is the Big, Red Barn and anything with farm animals. It’s SO fun to see them develop favorites!
    Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Hurry Up and Accomplish Nothing!

Love the book shelf! I saw it on Pinterest awhile ago and thought, “Hmmm…now that is something that I could totally turn into a Pin-Trocity!!!” hahah. However, you guys did such a great job. We’re in a rental house right now, so I can barely do anything to my little guy’s room. :(
    As a teacher, I’m kind of obsessed with kids books, particularly the classic picture books that have been around since we were children. They are so expensive here in Australia though! I found an amazing 2nd hand book store that I drop into every so often, and they always have a lot of the classics in hard cover and in almost new condition! The Cat in the Hat, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Goodnight Moon were my most recent additions. This link is a good start! http://www.kerncountylibrary.org/HTML/kids/books/100pic.html
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..?

Well, as a person who still has literally every single book they have ever owned I have so many suggestions!!!!! Haha I was a big fan of the “Spot” books…as well as these other books that were also about a dog but they were beautifully illustrated with very few words and for the life of my I can’t remember the name of them so this is really unhelpful, but! regardless you can’t go wrong. There are so many great books for all aged children!
    Kelly recently posted..Business Proposals: Part 1

I also love that my cat, Kobe, is always waiting for me when I arrive home. Of course he is meowing for food too but I like to think part of it is that he is just so happy to see me 😉 The rain gutter shelf turned out great! I really like that! And you have to of course have “I’ll love you forever” that is my favorite children’s book. Oh and Chicka chicka boom boom!
    Lauren Williams recently posted..Patriotic red white and blue wreath with yarn wrapped 'USA' letters and pinwheels by SomethingBeautiful19

25. Monica says

Must have books:

Pout Pout Fish (super cute!)
    Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
    Any and All of the Llama Llama books. bookshttp://www.annadewdney.com/Annas_website/Home.html

You have to get Goodnight Gorilla! Or, if you want to read it in Spanish to him, Buenas Noches Gorila. It’s a great book, and all kids love the page where the wife wakes up with wide eyes to find all the zoo animals sleeping in their room!
    Lizzie recently posted..My Dad is the Raddest!