4th of July Shenanigans

by Courtney on July 5, 2013

Hey guys!

Yep, no worries…I’m still around and without baby. I heard from a few of you, wondering if there was any news, since I’ve been a little MIA the past couple of days, but Baby Tooth is still comfortably hanging out where he has been for the past 9+ months.

I didn’t wind up with too much to chat about on Wednesday (although I did love reading through all of your comments on my last post), and yesterday I spent the entire day poolside, so the thought of posting never really even crossed my mind. Yes, yesterday was an absolutely fantastic 4th of July!

Jay and I decided to have a few friends over last minute to hang out by the pool and BBQ throughout the day. The two of us were out there by 11am, and while the other party animals trickled in a little later, none of us wound up even going inside until about 9pm. It was definitely a full day’s worth of awesome.

My friend Kate wound up making this flippin’ delicious sangria mocktail that totally knocked my socks off.

photo 2

I sipped on that and lots and lots and lots of water throughout the day…this whole swelling of the hands and feet business is starting to get real, my friends. Very real.

Since I’m not feeling all that ambitious in the kitchen lately, we told everyone we were going to keep it simple on the food front, with basically some grill food, chips, dip, and then whatever anyone else wanted to bring. Well, thank goodness I have friends who don’t mess around when it comes to food, so we were more than stocked with plenty of good stuff.

photo 1

Around 2-ish (maybe? I was hardly keeping track of time) we decided to fire up the grill for round 1. Burgers, hot dogs, and veggie burgers were the name of the game, along with some fruit salad and potato salad, which I did actually make myself on Wednesday evening. I’ll have to share the recipe with you guys – it’s the same one I made on Father’s Day, and everyone really seems to enjoy it.

photo 2

For lunch, I loaded up with an all-beef hot dog, some potato salad, fruit salad, and bean salad with tortilla chips.

photo 4

Mind you…this was all after snacking my face off with about a gazillion chips and dip. No shame.

Throughout the afternoon, the girls mainly hung out on pool floats and chatted on whatever was the opposite side of the pool that the guys were on. This was mainly because they were basically trying to drown each other while playing the most intense games of pool basketball and we didn’t need any part of that. ;)

They also happened to break out a certain bottle of liquor that has been sitting in our cabinet for almost four years now…

Back at my bridal shower, I received the most awesome wine basket from some friends, which was very similar to the one that I made for Mal back in November. Well the last and final bottle to the basket was a bottle of Ciroc vodka that, as you can probably read, was to be saved for the “First Baby.” Jay had been waiting to be able to share it with some of “the guys,” and somehow it became a challenge to see if they could start and finish that bad boy all in one afternoon.

Well, they were most definitely successful, and the bottle has been emptied. Shenanigans, I’ll tell ya!

We were all joking and saying that Baby Tooth can most definitely make his appearance anytime now, since the bottle is gone. Hopefully he’s listening. :)

A few more hours later, it was about time to fire up the grill once more for round 2, and the grill master got to work.

photo 3

On our still-in-progress new back deck, no less! We’re definitely making progress (HA, I say “we” like I have anything to do with it…I do not) but we still have a little ways to go.

For my round 2 (aka, dinner) I went with a veggie burger, some salad, and a little more potato salad.

photo 3

Totally hit the spot, after a long, hard day of sitting poolside. ;)

For dessert, we also had this incredibly awesome rhubarb “dump cake” that our friend Mal found on Pinterest.

Don’t worry…I stalked her Pinterest page and found the recipe she used..it’s THIS ONE.

I don’t know if I’d ever had rhubarb before, but man…if it always tastes as good as it did in that recipe, then I am most definitely a fan. SO good.

So yeah, that was basically our fantastic 4th of July. No fireworks, minus the couple we saw our neighbors shooting off in the backyard, but I’m cool with that since they aren’t really my thing. And now today, it’s back to work for me…thank goodness it’s Friday!

How was everyone else’s 4th of July holiday? (and for my non US friends, how was your 4th of July regular day?) :)

1 Natalie @ Free Range Human July 5, 2013 at 9:38 am

Posts like this make me wish we had a pool! We spent most of the day getting ready for our trip. We’re headed out today for a backpacking trip in Colorado!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Making A Run For It

2 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl July 5, 2013 at 9:38 am

I have wanted to try rhubarb since last year….I have got to make that happen this year! Maybe I’ll give this dump cake a try. Glad you had a great 4th!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Sprucing Up the Blog

3 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 5, 2013 at 9:42 am

Sounds like an awesome 4th of July! Hanging out with friends, grilling and lazying around the pool is the BEST! My husband and I enjoyed a relaxing day and we did our own mini BBQ. It was great!

Have a great weekend!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Power Foods Friday + Holiday Recap

4 Shel@PeachyPalate July 5, 2013 at 9:46 am

Hard to believe your so close! Seems like only yesterday you shared the news! Two barbecues in one day..perfect way to celebrate! :)
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Quite the combination

5 Linz @ Itz Linz July 5, 2013 at 9:48 am

looks like a great fourth with good food and friends! :) that’s all i ever hope for!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Happy July 4th!

6 Sarah @ Making Thyme or Health July 5, 2013 at 9:49 am

Looks like you ll had a great time, vodka and all! That dump cake looked seriously good on Pinterest!
Sarah @ Making Thyme or Health recently posted..Light n’ Easy Strawberry Pie (Vegan and Gluten-Free)

7 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 5, 2013 at 10:00 am

Sounds like a wonderful holiday! I definitely want to try that potato salad recipe. It looks so good :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Fun Finds Friday: Cereal Finds at Target!!…

8 Ashley @ Life and Fitness July 5, 2013 at 10:00 am

Fireworks aren’t really my thing either. All the grilled food is where it’s at :)
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..And I Just Ran Past A Cow

9 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life July 5, 2013 at 10:02 am

Sounds like you had a TON of fun! Hanging out in/by a pool is my idea of a perfect summer day!
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..Red, White, and Blue: Recipe Roundup

10 Christine@ Apple of My Eye July 5, 2013 at 10:05 am

Hopefully Baby Tooth realizes that it’s time for the lil booger to come out! I can’t wait! Dinner looks so scrumptious. I’ve stalked the Pinterest accounts of my friends as well if I see them bring in a tasty recipe ;)

11 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns July 5, 2013 at 10:11 am

Rhubarb is so weird to me lol but interesting. Makes me want to cook with it. All that bbq food makes me want a BBQ REAL bad!!! Glad to see you had a good time yesterday :) I got to babysit a couple of animals, so no BBQ food for me lol
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..My Stubs Bring All The Boys To The Yard….

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 5, 2013 at 10:12 am

Looks like a great day! Impressive that they managed to finish off the vodka ;-) And my Canadianness meant that my 4th of July was spent at work – I did have Monday off for Canada day though, which was spent relaxing.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Things Friday 07/05/13. (Giveaway Winner!)

13 Lisa July 5, 2013 at 10:15 am

For a second when you said without baby, I thought you meant without baby in you…I got all confused for a minute;)
Looks like you had a fun day of celebration!
I’m not a huge fireworks fan either.
My day was spent the same as usual – since it wasn’t a holiday in Canada.
Have a great Friday
Lisa recently posted..Fun Facts

14 Ashlee@HisnHers July 5, 2013 at 10:18 am

Y’all have the perfect little setup for pool & BBQ days! Looks like a blast with lots of yummy food!

15 Xai July 5, 2013 at 10:22 am

Wow, that looks like the perfect 4th of July!
Xai recently posted..4 Great Tips To Have A Healthy Fourth Of July

16 Katy July 5, 2013 at 10:23 am

I cannot wait to have a house of my own to host at! We had a small cookout at my mother in law’s house. I was definitely wishing we had a pool to relax in. This heat in Massachusetts is a killer! Happy 4th.
Katy recently posted..Flavor of the Week: Quinoa Cereal

17 Nicole @ FruitnFitness July 5, 2013 at 10:25 am

It looks like you had a great fourth! It was pouring rain all day here in lexington so there was no pool time around here. I love rhubarb! My mom grows it in her garden and its probably my favorite addition to pies and cobblers.
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..Happy Independence Day

18 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill July 5, 2013 at 10:26 am

Thinking of you and the baby! My holiday was low-key–a day on the beach + drinks with friends while watching fireworks.
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Red, White, and Blue

19 Lauren July 5, 2013 at 10:30 am

The bromance boys seem to have cracks me up ALL the time. I’m glad you had a nice, relaxing day by the pool with friends before the little guy arrives soon!!!

20 Amy @ The Little Honey Bee July 5, 2013 at 10:44 am

Sounds like a wonderful 4th of July! It makes me miss living in the U.S. Canada Day is just not the same…
Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted..The Perfect Summer Workout

21 Caitie @ twentytwofit July 5, 2013 at 11:22 am

That bottle idea is pretty cute! I’m going to poke around blog and try to find out what the rest of the bottles/gift basket were – my sister is pregnant and that would be a fun, different way to celebrate at her shower!

Sounds like the baby is close to arrival – wishing you and your family a healthy delivery!!!
Caitie @ twentytwofit recently posted..Happy Hangovers!

22 Kelly July 5, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Looks like a fun day!! hope you stayed cool, it was ridiculously hot out yesterday!!
Kelly recently posted..But when are we seriously going to get our act together on this time travel thing?

23 Alaina July 5, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Just an interesting tidbit of information….some people believe rhubarb can induce labor! ;)

24 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 5, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Isn’t bbq food the absolute best?? I think that that is one of the main reasons why the 4th is one of my favorite holidays! I am glad that you had a great one!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Lentil and Mushroom Lettuce Wraps

25 Alaina July 5, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Looks like you had a fantastic day! I think in the summer, grilling should be the only way to cook. :-)

I had a great day yesterday. My husbands army buddy and his wife had a pool party and it was much needed with the heat we were having. Great food, drinks and company! Couldn’t have asked for anything better.
Alaina recently posted..Run Hundred – Top 10 Workout Songs for July 2013

26 Miranda @ Miranda Runs July 5, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Mannnnnn I wish I had a pool! :( Looks like tons of fun though! My mom loveees rhubarb but I just can’t get into it!
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..Fourth of July Spirit Muffins

27 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Looks like a fun day! :) Sorry about the swelling. That’s definitely a con about being pregnant during the summer!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Addie at 10 (almost 11) weeks: The Good, the bad, and the adorable.

28 Kristi July 5, 2013 at 7:14 pm

What a fun way to celebrate! Looks like you had a great day.
Kristi recently posted..TGIF

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 6, 2013 at 7:37 am

Looks like the perfect way to celebrate the 4th! I’ll definitely have to check out the rhubarb dump cake recipe! Dump cake recipes are the best… so easy!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Emily’s Wedding

30 Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love July 6, 2013 at 8:38 am

Does your friend Kate have a recipe for that mocktail? I’d love to have it for the remainder of my pregnancy :)
Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love recently posted..How to Stay Motivated During Pregnancy {guest post}

31 Leighal July 6, 2013 at 5:11 pm

What a great day! Mine was filled with lots of family, friends, and fun. And food, of course! ;)
Leighal recently posted..I’m off… again!

32 Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com July 7, 2013 at 4:40 pm

congrats to the men for accomplishing their goal!

33 Ellie@Fit for the soul July 7, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Mmm the potato salad looks yummy, as does the sangria….and for the fourth we kept it reaaalllly uneventful! haha. Well, my friend came to visit to see our newborn daughter so that was really nice, but the rest of the evening we spent it crossing our fingers trying to be “ready” in case the crazy fireworks startled our baby. :P
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..The Power of One Single Magazine

34 Jane July 8, 2013 at 5:48 am

Those cocktails looks yummy, could you share the recipe?
Jane recently posted..Saffron Extract Select, The Natural, Safe, Effective and Potent Weight Combatant

35 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats July 8, 2013 at 8:24 am

I have rhubarb in my freezer and will definitely be making that recipe with it! It sounds perfect. And that bridal basket is the cutest thing in the world!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Good Food and Hot Runs

36 Brooke @ Running In Heels July 8, 2013 at 8:47 am

So glad to hear that you’re doing well! Looks like you guys had an AMAZING weekend and I love that bottle idea! So fun and creative!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..What I’ve Been Up To

37 Gracie July 8, 2013 at 9:28 am

Haha, love the pic of the guys with the vodka. Boys will be boys :P
Looks like just about the perfect 4th of July!
Gracie recently posted..scenes from the {long} weekend.