Another Date Night, While We Can

by Courtney on July 8, 2013

Hey hey! Good morning to all of my favorite readers! How’s everyone doing this morning?

Well, as always, the weekend came and went super quick and now here we are again on Monday. Luckily, the weekends seem to fly by when we’re having fun, which is exactly what we were doing. Friday night was low key…after two failed attempts at ordering food out (one place was closed, the other was either closed or just didn’t want to answer their phones) we stayed in, cooked Annie’s mac & cheese and hot dogs (<–how old are we, right?!), and just hung out. It was great.

Saturday started out with all the usuals – grocery shopping, work around the house…you know, all that jazz. Jay was doing a bunch of work on the back deck, so I decided to offer to help. I managed to help out with cutting some wood with the saw, but I think the heat started getting to me so I headed to the pool for a little while.

Saturday evening, we decided to squeeze in another date night (while we can!), complete with dinner and a movie. We headed out to  Angelo’s Prime Bar + Grill which we’d only been to one other time, a little over a year ago.

We started out with some of their 7 Hour Cherry Pepper Pork, but I forgot to snap a photo of it. We did get it the last time we went though, in case you’re curious, and it was just as delicious as we remembered. For my dinner, I ordered the Chicken Maria, which was probably one of the most perfectly cooked pieces of chicken ever, topped with aged balsamic, arugula, and red and golden tomatoes, served with some rather tasty shoestring fries.

Jay wound up ordering the “Boss” burger, which absolutely lived up to its name. OMG it was so good.

I wound up only eating half of my sandwich, thanks to the pork filling me up…and as much as I wanted to get that incredible chocolate cake that they serve (seriously, one of the best I’ve ever had!) I just couldn’t do it.

Instead, we left not overly stuffed and headed off to our movie…

You guys…have you seen this movie yet?? Freakin’ hilarious. If you get a chance, please go see it. Jay and I both laughed our faces off while splitting  a box of scrumptious Raisenets. Mmmm, one of my favorites.

Sunday, the two of us headed out to visit with my parents for a couple of hours before coming back home to get some stuff done. The original plan was to work on the back deck a bit more, but Mother Nature had other plans so that was nixed. Instead, we stayed low inside and eventually wound up making some dinner.

Yes, we ate breakfast and lunch too, but my photo taking was obviously super sporadic this weekend. ;)

Dinner was delicious though…

We heated up some leftover french fries from Saturday, I sauteed up a zucchini, and we had those along with some amazing grilled chicken sandwiches, topped with provolone, turkey bacon, avocado, and a little homemade garlic mayo.

A few hours later, it was time to dig into dessert…

For those of you who have had the pleasure of eating a Friendly’s watermelon roll, you probably already have an idea of how absolutely amazing this watermelon sherbet is. It was on sale at Price Chopper on Saturday and I just could not resist.

So last night, I scooped myself out a nice big bowl of it, topped with some mini chocolate chips.

My only regret is that I only bought one container of the stuff. I can tell you right now – between the two of us – this carton won’t last more than three days. We are in loooooove.

Soooo, a bit sporadic and lacking in pictures, but that was basically our weekend! How about you guys? What’s been shakin’ over in your neck of the woods??

1 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog July 8, 2013 at 9:06 am

I would NEVER think to buy Watermelon sherbet, but you make it look so delicious. Plus, I love the chocolate chips add. I’ll have to give it a try. Currently, my flavor of choice is Edy’s Salted Caramel Pretzel.

Great that you’re fitting in some last-minute date nights before the baby :-). I thought that movie might not be good, but I’m glad to hear you’re giving it rave reviews. Maybe I can convince the BF to go.

Our weekend was full of booze and food. I’m excited to get back to being healthy. Happy Monday!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..How to Get your Post-Holiday Healthy Groove Back

2 Lindsey July 8, 2013 at 9:07 am

I have read on a couple blogs this morning to see that movie so I guess we better get to it!
We had a date night last night and I told my husband we need to take advantage of these more before baby comes, we still have 4 months but time is flying!

3 Shel@PeachyPalate July 8, 2013 at 9:14 am

That ice cream sounds like heaven in a tub!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Summer Baked Oats

4 Linz @ Itz Linz July 8, 2013 at 9:16 am

i’m not a huge sherbert fan…. real ice cream though? now that’s a different story! :) i’d be all over that burger though – yum!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Mizuno Instagram Contest #mezamashiirun

5 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire July 8, 2013 at 9:21 am

I used to LOVE the watermelon roll when I was a kid! I wish our local grocery store sold that sherbet. I keep hoping that your next post is going to be the announcement that Baby Tooth has made his way into the world. So soon!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Chobani & Old Bay

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 8, 2013 at 9:22 am

Yay for date nights! We did the same thing before Addie came, and I’m SO glad we did. We don’t have family in the area, so our only opportunities for date nights now are when family come to visit!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Addie at 10 (almost 11) weeks: The Good, the bad, and the adorable.

7 Katy July 8, 2013 at 9:24 am

I spent my weekend doing everything I could to keep cool! This humidity here in Mass. has been a killer!
Katy recently posted..Monday Montage: Beating the Heat

8 Christine@ Apple of My Eye July 8, 2013 at 9:36 am

Mhmm Annie’s Mac & Cheese is my jam! I hope you realize how much water I’m losing via drool from all of your food pics! THough, I have to admit, I’ve never been too big of a fan of sherbet. I prefer coffee and chocolate flavors!

9 Jenna July 8, 2013 at 9:36 am

That sherbet looks so yummy. I would go through that carton so fast! Also I am so excited to finally see a post saying that baby tooth is on the way :)

10 chelcie @ chelcie's food files July 8, 2013 at 9:37 am

I want to see that movie i’m glad you said you liked it that makes me want to see it even more!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Weekend Scenes (NYC)

11 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health July 8, 2013 at 9:46 am

OMG…I have never seen watermelon sherbet before, it sounds amazing! I’m addicted to watermelon right now.
Glad to hear that movie was hilarious although I had a feeling it would be. I can’t wait to see it!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Fourth of July in Napa: Domaine Carneros & Rutherford Hill Winery

12 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl July 8, 2013 at 9:49 am

I’ve heard so many good things about The Heat! I will definitely make it a point to see this movie. I’m thinking my mom and I need a girls night out!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Paleo Flax Granola

13 Julie @ Better Life with Burgers July 8, 2013 at 9:49 am

What a perfect weekend! I think you guys are doing it right–everything I’ve heard says you should spend lots of quality time together before baby. Good job! :-)
Julie @ Better Life with Burgers recently posted..Maui in July

14 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes July 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

Both of those sandwiches look incredible! I hope you’re feeling well and not too uncomfortable these days :-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Giveaway and an exciting week :-)

15 Robyn @thereallife_RD July 8, 2013 at 9:58 am

I’ve heard great things about that movie! And that sherbet looks amazing! All I want during the summer is cold smoothies and ice cream and fruit!

16 Brooke @ Running In Heels July 8, 2013 at 10:00 am

I REALLY want to see that movie!! So glad to hear that you liked it!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Last Possible Minute Bachelorette Episode 6 Recap

17 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns July 8, 2013 at 10:00 am

Yay for date nights :) Ugh I’ve been craving a burger lately, and that picture just assures me why. Ah, glad to hear that movie was good!! The commercial made it look pretty funny, I love it when the movie owns up to what the commercials make it out to be. I didn’t know they made Watermelon Sherbet!!! Looks super good :)
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..So Call Me Hippie

18 Danica @ It's Progression July 8, 2013 at 10:02 am

I was wondering how that movie would be (I figured it’d be a complete hit or miss kind of a movie) but now that you said it was good I really want to see it! I’ll have to try and convince my husband to go this week :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..4th of July Weekend

19 Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty July 8, 2013 at 10:02 am

Looks like you had a great weekend of eats! Could there be anything more refreshing than watermelon sherbet. To be perfectly honest I have never had it but can only imagine how delicious it is especially with some chocolate chips on top!
We spent the weekend camping up north and had a wonderful time hiking, eating, walking, and relaxing.
Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty recently posted..4th of July Photo Recap

20 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance July 8, 2013 at 10:07 am

The Heat looks so funny! I want to see it! :)

I spent the weekend at the beach and ended up with a sunburn, three bug bites, a bee sting and a slight cough. I kept joking that I needed to go back to the office and relax. :) It was a lot of fun though!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Happy Fourth of July and Travel Review of Cape Cod

21 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 8, 2013 at 10:36 am

So glad you two got to have another date night! Both of your meals look delicious. I won’t lie, the whole watermelon sherbet + chocolate chips thing sounds a little strange, but I’m glad you loved it. I think I’d love the watermelon sherbet, and of course I love chocolate chips, but I’m not sure how I feel about them together. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Door County Snapshots

22 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 8, 2013 at 10:37 am

All of that food looks absolutely amazing!!!!!! Glad you were able to get in a date night before things change :) I can’t wait to see that movie, I think it may be on the date night agenda for this coming weekend with the husband!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Long Run Sunday

23 Heather Murphy July 8, 2013 at 11:03 am

I absolutely CRAVED sherbet the end of my pregnancy! Maybe it was because it was the hottest summer on record and felt like a million degrees- not a good combo when you are about 40- 50 lbs heavier!

24 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 8, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’m not a big sherbet fan, but I’m so intrigued by the watermelon! And the chicken sandwiches you whipped up at home sound amazing. Garlic mayo with chicken, avocado and turkey bacon? Yum.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Going International.

25 Leigha July 8, 2013 at 11:17 am

I was planning on going to that movie on Saturday with my mom but we ended up going to a concert instead… we might have to end up going! I haven’t been snapping pics of my eats either… OMG that sherbet look amazing though!
Leigha recently posted..Heritage Half Marathon

26 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 8, 2013 at 11:19 am

Yay…date night is always so much fun! I haven’t seen that movie yet, but I’ve seen the previews for it and it looks really good! Hopefully, I’ll get to the movies soon!

OMG…that watermelon sherbet!!!!! I really need some of that in my life asap!!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..MIMM #3 — A Few Firsts

27 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 8, 2013 at 11:21 am

Yum! That avocado looks awesome!!

How to you reheat your french fries? Do you put them back in the oven? Yours actually look crispy and not soggy!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Jumping on the Bandwagon: The ABC’s of Me

28 Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength July 8, 2013 at 11:37 am

Good girl getting that movie in. It really does become a treat when you are a parent to get to the movies. :) We were actually going to go this weekend and my parents were with my son. We got there and the power was out so we couldn’t. (Only in NH?) Good to know about the movie though bc I was looking for a comedy and didn’t know what was out!!!!
Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength recently posted..Ladies Night at Skill of Strength

29 Ashley @ Life and Fitness July 8, 2013 at 11:53 am

Might be one of the last date nights! The friendly’s watermelon role is the best. I think that was a summer staple while growing up.

30 Sara @ fitcupcaker July 8, 2013 at 12:34 pm

that sherbert wouldnt last long in my house either, no sweets really do!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..My Holiday Weekend & Weekly Meal Plan

31 Kelly July 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I went to the promo screening of the Heat and I have been talking it up to everyone I see ever, it was SOOOO good!!! Glad y’all had a nice date night!
Kelly recently posted..But when are we seriously going to get our act together on this time travel thing?

32 Miranda @ Miranda Runs July 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm

That movie looks hilarious! I want to see it so badly! Enjoy those date nights!
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..MIMM #14- Oats & boyfriend & workouts oh my!

33 Xai July 8, 2013 at 1:25 pm

We were thinking of watch Th Heat but in the end we ended up watching Despicable Me 2 which was pretty cute. No joke, I totally want to dive into those shoestring fries!
Xai recently posted..Progress Update: Or Lack Thereof

34 Angel July 8, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Dinner looks amazing and OMG they sell Friendly’s Watermelon Sherbet in a tub???? I need that, it is my favorite childhood desert… but with my luck I won’t get one close to me that sells it! It sounds like you had a great date night!
Angel recently posted..Subscription Box Share!!

35 Lauren July 8, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Yay for date nights and good food! I definitely don’t blame you for taking a break after sawing to lay by the pool. It is HOT outside! And I miss the Friendly’s watermelon rolls! My local froyo place has watermelon sorbet and I immediately thought of those! So good and refreshing!

36 Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl July 8, 2013 at 3:22 pm

UGH I want to see that movie so bad! My fiance thinks it’s going to be a chick flick. I keep trying to tell him it’s not. grr!
I only went to my lake house again this past weekend. It was SO relaxing!
Avocado on anything instantly makes it a thousand times more delicious!
Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl recently posted..Getting Back on Track

37 Annette@FitnessPerks July 8, 2013 at 3:46 pm

mmmm, you know I love sherbet!

We had a fun long weekend with the husband’s fam on vacay!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Perkation 2013 Recap

38 Megan S July 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm

So many great food ideas :). I like watermelon and I like Sherbet so I’ll have to look around to see if I can find anything similar to that where I live.
Bonding time sure is great. I hope you’ll have an awesome week!

39 Suzanne @ Mixing It Up July 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I would probably never choose sherbert over ice cream but that watermelon sherbert looks mighty tasty in your bowl with the mini choco chips!!!

Somehow, I have a feeling you will have plenty of offers for babysitting when you and Jay want to go on date nights in the future. First grand baby= Enormously spoiled!!!
Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted..I Forgot it was Monday

40 Faith@The Stirring Place July 8, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Watermelon sherbet?!! oh good pregnancy golly!!! *Grabs keys and runs to the store…*
Faith@The Stirring Place recently posted..My first {official} Trader Joe’s trip, why I stink at social media, and who punched me in the belly and got away with it

41 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 8, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Oh my gosh! I didn’t realize that Friendly’s came out with Watermelon Sherbert!!! I have always been a HUGE fan of the watermelon roll! I need to find this asap! :) Thank you for posting about it! You made my night!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Today Is The Day!…

42 Beth July 8, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I looked back at your post from last year to see what the chocolate cake looked like…my husband works for Sysco Foods and that is their 6 layer chocolate fudge cake, which comes frozen and the restaurants just thaw it out. Hubs confirmed that Angelo is a customer, along with at least 20 other restaurants in our area – that cake is a big seller. If you want to know where else you can find let me know!

43 Courtney July 8, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hahaha, no wayyyyyy, really?? Yes, I’d love to know!! That thing was incredible :)

44 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 8, 2013 at 8:27 pm

My sister-in-law was just talking to me about the Friendly’s watermelon roll and I had no clue what she was talking about! I must have missed out on something SERIOUS.

45 Michelle @ Peanut Butter and Running Shoes July 8, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Watermelon sherbet? I need to get that!
Michelle @ Peanut Butter and Running Shoes recently posted..Humor at the Track

46 Esthetician Careers July 8, 2013 at 8:50 pm

All of your meals are look so delicious. But I never been taste watermelon ice cream. I think it’s good to taste.. I wanna try that..
Esthetician Careers recently posted..Ace The Interview For The Esthetician Job

47 Kelsey July 8, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Also saw The Heat this weekend… and was literallllllly crying! Funniest movie I’ve seen in a while! I bet your wishing you could just laugh that little baby out right about now! Anxiously awaiting the baby update!

48 Allee @ Griselda Mood July 8, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I LOVED “The Heat!” I saw it with my mom and we were both dying– they make a good team and I’m guessing by the way it ended, there might be a sequel!
Allee @ Griselda Mood recently posted..A Leathery Anniversary

49 Caitie @ twentytwofit July 8, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Saw that movie on the 4th – it was hilarious!

Have you ever tried Raisinettes in popcorn?! Every so often I’ll bring a bag of natural, unflavored popcorn with me to the movies and pour my Raisinettes in – sounds weird, looks weird, but tastes amazing!!
Caitie @ twentytwofit recently posted..Focus, girl!

50 Courtney July 9, 2013 at 8:18 am

That sounds amazing!!

51 Jen @nutcaseinpoint July 8, 2013 at 11:49 pm

So funny…we actually just had our rehearsal dinner at Prime on Friday night (remember I emailed you for suggestions?!) it was really good and SO much food!!
Jen @nutcaseinpoint recently posted..Eats and Exercise: 7/2

52 Courtney July 9, 2013 at 8:19 am

Ohhh yes yes!! The Prime in Albany or the one we went to? Either way, they’re both amaaaaazing! :)

53 Sarah @ A Refining Adventure July 9, 2013 at 8:17 am

My husband would LOVE that watermelon sorbet! I wish there was a Friendly’s around here! Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend….and all of the food you DID manage to photograph looks absolutely delicious! I can’t believe your little on is going to be here soon! I’m so glad you’re getting to soak in the last few days as a family of 2!
Sarah @ A Refining Adventure recently posted..A Weekend with the In-Laws and MIMM #4

54 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats July 9, 2013 at 8:24 am

I was on the fence about seeing the Heat but have heard soooooo many good things! I might have to have a date night of our own sometime soon :)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Recipes fit for a mermaid