Baby Tooth: 39 Weeks

by Courtney on July 16, 2013

Hopefully, this is the LAST pregnancy update I’ll have for you all since Baby Tooth’s due date is this Fridayyyy!

39 Weeks

Baby Tooth is just over 39 weeks today and is about the size of a mini watermelon. And just for fun, here’s a little side by side comparison while wearing the same top…

31 Weeks vs 39 Weeks

Holy moly. Smile

Here’s what Baby Tooth has been up to this week:

• Baby Tooth continues to build a layer of fat to help control his body temperature after birth, but it’s likely he already measures about 20 inches and weighs a bit over 7 pounds. (Boys tend to be slightly heavier than girls.)
  • The outer layers of his skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath.

And here’s what’s been happening with me this past week:

Weight gained: At my last appointment I hadn’t gained any more weight so my doc said it’s possible that I’ve reached the height of my weight gain. That would put me at 29 pounds.

Workouts: I did attempt a short walk on the treadmill over the weekend, and I’ve been able to do some different exercises while in the pool (along with my killer doggy paddle) but that’s about it at this point. Just merely existing is practically a workout these days.

Labor Signs: Contractions and/or Braxton Hicks, although if I’m being honest, I still don’t know the difference. I get the ones where my belly hardens but it doesn’t necessarily hurt; then I get the others that are like strong menstrual cramps that wrap around all the way to my back.

Symptoms: Mostly the same…

• Low back pain and pelvic pressure
  • Braxton Hicks and/or contractions
  • A feeling like my uterus is basically going to fall out…yep, it’s the truth
  • Fatigue/always sleepy
  • Occasional nausea
  • Itchy belly/skin
  • Sore feet – still tough in the mornings
  • Some swellings in hands, feet, and ankles
  • Lots of potty breaks

Movement: Movement has definitely slowed a bit this week. Honestly, I have no idea where he even has room to move at this point. He’ll kick his little feet around and stick up his little butt occasionally, but they don’t really move out of their place. Winking smile

Food Aversions: Nada.

Food Cravings: Cheeseburgers and watermelon sherbet. Not necessarily pregnancy related, but I’ve been lovin’ them both big time.

Sleep: So-so. I’ve been so sleepy that I really have no problem falling asleep. I’m up definitely once, sometimes 2-3 times each night to head to the bathroom, but I probably wake up 5-6 times with needed to switch positions. Can I tell you how excited I am to finally be able to sleep on my stomach?!

Stretch marks? STILL stretch mark free! Apparently I have some nice elasticity in the ol’ belly.

Miss Anything? All the same stuff as I’ve mentioned before.

Fun and/or Interesting Things from the Week: We had our last appointment last Thursday and the doc said I was up to 1cm dilated and 60% effaced. Nothing crazy, but I suppose it was nice to at least see a tiny sliver of progress!

This week has also gotten significantly more difficult in the moving/merely existing department. Regular daily tasks are becoming more and more of a challenge, and my desire to do much of anything is pretty low.

Since I’m still working right now, I try to save up most of my energy for that. Many of you have asked and yes, I plan on trying to work right up until my due date, which is this Friday the 19th. Why? Well, I’m getting 12 weeks of maternity leave, but they start as soon as I’m out of work…whether the baby is here yet or not. So that being said, I’m trying hard to get every last bit of that 12 weeks for when the babe is actually here. Smile

Belly Button in or out? About the same, partially out, but still has a little indent too.

Wedding rings on or off? Still on, but snug in the heat.

Happy or moody most of the time: Hmm…how to answer this one? I will say that I’ve definitely been experiencing moodiness. I’m anxious, I’m uncomfortable, and as much as I’ve enjoyed pregnancy, I’m ready to be done with it. I get into occasional funks” where I just feel sort of blah/annoyed/sad.  Those of you who haven’t gotten to experience week 39 of pregnancy? You’re lucky. And those of you who have experienced 40+ weeks? My godddd, how did you do it?

That being said though, it’s not like I’m walking around as a cranky pants. Yes, I have my moments, but I’ve still been thoroughly enjoying life and getting in plenty of laughs, especially with Jay. We’ve been having some great times together, and I honestly feel like I’ve been enjoying his company even more these past few weeks.

New Baby Items: None for the baby, but this baby’s mama got herself some new bras for after he’s here. Winking smile

Looking Forward To: I’m pretty sure this one is fairly obvious…getting the labor party staaarteddddd!! And don’t worry…as long as no major catastrophes happen, I’ll be sure to pop in somewhere (either the blog, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram) to give you all a heads up when it does!

1 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle July 16, 2013 at 7:06 am

Ahh the end is in sight! I’m making my guess official and logging it here: Saturday. Happy Labor Day!! :)
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..MIMM: Color Run, family style.

2 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 16, 2013 at 7:14 am

Yay…you’re soooo close now! I’m so excited for your Courtney!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..MIMM #4 – Deliciousness

3 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes July 16, 2013 at 7:32 am

I know it feels like he will never come… just think about all the weeks in your life that have come to an end. It helped me when it seemed endless! Hang in there! Soon that sweet little boy will be in your arms! Sending you labor vibes…
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Humor me and tell me how good my pictures look.

4 Andrea @ pencils and pancakes July 16, 2013 at 7:35 am

I’m sure you can’t wait! Just wanted to let you know because of you when I was at friendly’s Friday I HAD to get the watermelon sherbet….. oMG so good!
Andrea @ pencils and pancakes recently posted..Wedding traditions you should skip

5 Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family July 16, 2013 at 7:40 am

Oh the last weeks of pregnancy … the feeling of anticipation! So excited for you guys. My guess is Sunday :)
Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family recently posted..Playroom Makeover

6 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun July 16, 2013 at 7:42 am

I can’t believe we have finally reached the HOPEFULLY last update!! I am so excited for you all!!! You look amazing!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..A Wonderful Surprise

7 Shel@PeachyPalate July 16, 2013 at 7:51 am

Eek! So close now! Super excited for you…fingers and toes crossed your not waiting too much longer!

8 Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty July 16, 2013 at 7:51 am

Praying for you that baby comes soon, that ALL goes well, and that everyone is healthy!

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 16, 2013 at 8:14 am

Oh my! You’ve got the cutest little bump! I hope Baby Tooth comes soon though! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Change

10 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction July 16, 2013 at 8:24 am

Stay cool this week! This weather is awful for someone in your situation!
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Purina Dog Food & A Giveaway

11 Christy July 16, 2013 at 8:34 am

I found I could tell the difference between Braxton hicks and real contractions by getting up and moving around. If they go away or subside they were Braxton hicks. Make sure you are drinking enough water. Sometimes Braxton hicks are a sign of dehydration. Good luck with tummy sleeping after baby arrives. If you are nursing the “girls” will make that uncomfortable.
Christy recently posted..Furry Friday: A Great Big Brother

12 Josie July 16, 2013 at 8:39 am

You look so ready Courtney. Your mom must be going crazy! I remember my biggest annoyance when I was pregnant with Heather… Clothes. I couldn’t wait until I got home from work to take them all off. I worked right up to the end with her like you are doing. I hope you go soon.
Josie

13 Brittanie @ Three Bracelets July 16, 2013 at 9:03 am

So excited for you and Jay!!!!! You look great and I along with the rest of the blog community are so excited to “meet” your little one!!!!

I am merely trying to exist in this heat + humidity without a baby nestled in my belly, so you are amazing and have every right to be a little moody!

Best of luck this week!

14 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life July 16, 2013 at 9:05 am

Ahh so exciting girl! You know we will all be on baby watch for the rest of the week! :)

15 Angie Mae July 16, 2013 at 9:13 am

Wow! You’re so close! I’m praying for a wonderful quick delivery for you! We can’t wait to meet Baby Tooth!
Angie Mae recently posted..DIY Date Night Jar

16 Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom July 16, 2013 at 9:16 am

Good luck and all the best to you, Courtney! I hope your labor is easy peasy and over before you know it! Also, you’re kinda entitled to walk around in a funk right now if you feel like it. Being 39 weeks pregnant in a heat wave is some hard stuff!
Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom recently posted..I’m A Martyr: Part 2

17 Danica @ It's Progression July 16, 2013 at 9:19 am

so excited for you! You’re *almost* there!!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Foods for a better Complexion

18 Nicole July 16, 2013 at 9:24 am

Oh yay! I’m so excited for you, and can’t wait to hear the great news! Wishing you all the best for a smooth and healthy labor and delivery :)

19 Erin @Sugar Magnolia July 16, 2013 at 9:25 am

Yay!! Getting so close!!
I’m sure everything will get going soon (;
Erin @Sugar Magnolia recently posted..Thoughts On Being A Young Mom

20 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian July 16, 2013 at 9:40 am

My guess is that baby Tooth will make his appearance on Friday night!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Marine Corps Marathon Training: Week 3

21 Shannon July 16, 2013 at 9:41 am

Yay! You are almost there. The last week was the worst. So worth the wait though. Just a little advice….I would take your rings off now. When my water broke at home the last thing on my mind was my rings. Thankfully they were already off. I swelled up pretty quick and wouldn’t have been able to take them off. My doctor was telling me how she has had to cut them off before. Good luck!!

22 Courtney July 16, 2013 at 9:49 am

Oh geez, thanks for the advice! I didn’t realize…I can’t wear them during labor??
Did you make it to the full 40 weeks, Shannon?

23 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 16, 2013 at 9:48 am

You’re so close!! My guess is going to be Sunday ;-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Feeding and Eating Disorders: The DSM-V.

24 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 16, 2013 at 9:50 am

Come on baby boy!!!!! He needs to be evicted ASAP. If I were you, I’d start bringing a towel to sit on in the car and and at work… juuuuuuust in case. ;) Merely existing is a workout for me these days as well. And I still have a loooooong way to go. Man oh man.

25 Brenda July 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Definitely sleep on a towel! Also, you may hear a ‘pop’ right before your water breaks. Rather than wonder, “Did my water break?” Just run to the bathroom!

Baby tooth will be here soon! Sending positive vibes your way.

26 Emily @ The Good Era July 16, 2013 at 9:51 am

You look fantastic! Baby Tooth Watch is officially ON! :) Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as things get underway.
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..I’m Back!!!

27 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 16, 2013 at 9:58 am

Oh gosh, I know how you feel Court. I was bummin’ pretty hard those last couple weeks! You definitely have all the signs that he’ll be here soon though, so hang in there!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Our Breastfeeding Journey

28 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 16, 2013 at 9:58 am

Good luck with everything, Courtney!! I am going to predict Monday, July 22!! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Roasted Part 9: Green Cabbage

29 Lauri July 16, 2013 at 10:06 am

You look great!!! All belly, really!
That last week is tough, I won’t lie – And I went to 41 weeks and one day! At my 40 week appt, my Dr gave me 2 choices – Be induced at 41 weeks or just schedule a C section. I burst into tears b/c I had no idea what to do and it felt like a lot of pressure to make that decision. We decided for me to be induced at 41 weeks. I was lucky enough to work from home that 41st week after my due date passed to save all 12 weeks for after the birth. I’m having flashbacks to that time right now – it was a tough week – i was hot, anxious, nervous, uncomfortable, etc but it was all worth it and I delivered at 41 weeks, 1 day after being induced. I remember going out to dinner 2 days before I was induced and the hostess asked when I was due while seating us and I said “Um, I was due last monday” and she jokingly said “I better seat you right away so you don’t have the baby here!” Surreal to think about that now….Best of luck to you and hang in there!!!!!! Baby Tooth will come out when ready, I truly believe that!! And if you go past your due date and have any questions or need someone to commiserate with, feel free to email me :)

30 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance July 16, 2013 at 10:25 am

Good luck! I’m so excited for you!! It’s just a short time now until the babe is here! :)

31 Erin July 16, 2013 at 10:39 am

I have 2 kids, a 2 year old and a 15 week old. We had to evict the first one (first ones are always stubborn!) but the second one my doctor told me about a tea that is supposed to help. Its called Red Raspberry Leaf Tea. I would drink around 6 tea bags of it a day. I started on a Friday night and my water broke early Tuesday morning. I know everyone wants to tell you about some ways to make the baby come so I thought I would throw in my experience!
Good Luck!

32 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run July 16, 2013 at 10:48 am

so excited for baby tooth to arrive!!

33 Samantha July 16, 2013 at 11:16 am

I got to 41+3 in the middle of summer before my daughter was evicted! I found the waiting game the hardest part. Every day I thought ‘today might be the day’ and then nothing. Never even had a contraction!

Just wanted to say I am really in see of you working right up until the baby is born. I’m in Australia and we’re fortunate enough to have some really great maternity agreements in place here. I worked until 35 weeks and I have 12 months of leave at half pay (this is a very very good perk from my employer!). I don’t know how you’re still doing it but I definitely applaud you.

34 Krystan July 16, 2013 at 11:17 am

I understand COMPLETELY how you are feeling! I was so anxious/excited/exhausted from 39 weeks on, that each day seemed to take forever. It’s tough especially when everyone tells you its so close, but it feels like forever for you. I just delivered yesterday at a day shy of 41 weeks. Also, I don’t know about your hospital, but I wore my wedding ring the whole labor and didn’t have any issues. You probably would only have to take it off for a C-section. Hope you go into labor soon and good luck with everything!

35 Katie July 16, 2013 at 11:18 am

YAY! You are any day! I remember when I did my 39 week post I though it would be last, then I did a 40, but he did come 3 days after my 40 week post! I think he will be here before you turn 40 weeks!

You look fab Courtney and I can’t wait to see the little guy! I am wishing you the best with labor too! All will go well!!

36 Lauren July 16, 2013 at 11:20 am

Thankfully, I sleep on my back so hopefully when (or if) I ever get pregnant I’ll be able to sleep somewhat………… Probably not. Haha! I can’t wait for the little guy to get here!!!

37 Annette@FitnessPerks July 16, 2013 at 11:22 am

Ahhhh you’re soooo close!! SO exciting!! <3

38 Faith@The Stirring Place July 16, 2013 at 11:23 am

You look great! Hope everything goes smoothly {and quickly} so you’re able to meet that sweet baby soon!!
Faith@The Stirring Place recently posted..weekend events

39 Ruthie Hart (@ruthiehart1) July 16, 2013 at 11:29 am

I will be anxiously watching twitter and Instagram for the announcement! I will be praying this week for you girl, I cant wait for you to meet your little guy!

40 Emily @ Relishments July 16, 2013 at 11:30 am

Congrats on being so close! I hope everything continues to go well this coming week. I’m so excited for you!
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..Highlights: Preserving

41 Sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com July 16, 2013 at 11:34 am

thinking all sorts of positive thoughts for the arrival of your little one! good luck!

42 Lauren July 16, 2013 at 11:54 am

So exciiiiting!!! Good luck!

43 Annie July 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm

You look so great Courtney! I need to know…did the stretch between 32 weeks and now go quick?! (I am 32 weeks today and already starting to get a bit anxious and impatient!!)

44 Courtney July 16, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Looking back, I’d say yes, weeks 32-37 went by super quick…then they started to slow quite a bit after that ;)

45 Kathryn July 16, 2013 at 12:31 pm

You look great! I went 41 weeks and was 2 cm dilated for 2weeks. He was born 6/25 and worth the wait. I was 9cm when i got to the hospital and they still had to break my water. Don’t get too excited about sleeping on your stomach (I was too). I’m typically small chested but breast feeding increased my size quite a bit. Best of luck!

46 Nala July 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm

You look bright and happy at 39 weeks! I hope everything goes well for you and I’m we’re all excited to meet Baby Tooth just as you are!

47 Sarah @ Sweet Miles July 16, 2013 at 1:30 pm

SO SOON SO SOON SO SOON!!! AAAHHHH!!! You’re looking fabulous! Can’t wait to see Baby Tooth :)
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Signs The Dog Rules Your House

48 Claire July 16, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Hi Courtney!

You are looking fantastic! I am so excited for you, and cannot wait to see what your little one looks like! You are radiant, glowing, and a beautiful pregnant woman! Wishing you all the best that’s ahead for you and Jay! <3

Claire

49 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine July 16, 2013 at 4:22 pm

You are SO cute! I hope he comes soon!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..I’m A Southern Bride Blogger Now + Coming To Terms With Priorities

50 Julie July 16, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I was 2 weeks overdue (not sure if they let you go that long anymore – my daughter is 13 now) when I was induced. I felt great, though; no swelling ankles & I was doing Jazzercise (high impact) up ’til the day before I had her (I remember actually being annoyed when they told me I had to report to the hospital by 6 p.m. ‘cuz I’d have to miss my class). :)

51 Callie July 17, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I was two weeks overdue last summer, but I had to beg my OB to let me go that long because I wanted to go into labor naturally. Finally we had to induce when it never happened…those were far and away the longest two weeks of my life.
Hang in there, Courtney! This will all be a memory soon!
Side note: my due date was actually 7/19/12!!! Of course, I didn’t have my baby until 7/31…but it’s been so fun watching you take the same timeline and reminisce on where I was last year!

52 Lindsey July 16, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Congratulations on 39 weeks! I have been following you through your entire journey and I am 10 weeks behind you… Knowing you are almost at the end makes it a bit more real for me! Good luck with everything and I will keep you and baby in my prayers! :)

53 Jenna July 16, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Hang in there girl! I just had my little boy 2 weeks ago (after being induced at 41 weeks!). The last couple weeks are the hardest, soak up all the laying around, foot massages, and early nights to bed while you can. These little people require a lot of work! Just remind yourself that every ounce of uncomfortable pregnancy is SOOO worth it when they put that little man in your arms! Biggest blessing of my life. Best of luck on your delivery, you will do great!!

54 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life July 16, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I’m so excited for you! And you look great. I know it’s so (SO) easy for me to say, but it feels like just yesterday you were telling us you were pregnant. Can’t wait to “meet” him! :-)
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..Week in Review #9

55 Sarah @ A Refining Adventure July 17, 2013 at 12:18 am

A small watermelon…wow! I cannot believe the difference between the 2 pictures! Craaaazy! And you are totally all belly. I know you have go to be so ready to meet the little guy! Wishing you the best labor possible!
Sarah @ A Refining Adventure recently posted..Finding YOUR Healthy Place

56 Kelly @ Femme Fitale July 17, 2013 at 8:30 am

Stomach sleeping post-baby is a-maze-ing!!! A coworker used to dig holes at the beach and put her belly in it, just to feel like she was sleeping on her stomach again! hahaha
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..A Focus On Body Image: Self Mockery

57 kat July 17, 2013 at 12:53 pm

GOOD LUCK! You must be so uncomfortable right now, but hang in there! Can’t wait to see pics of your baby!

58 Floey July 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm

This is going to sound really dumb — but why is this part called “Baby Tooth”?

59 Courtney July 17, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I’ve always referred to the baby as baby tooth as a play on words from sweet tooth on the blog. Not everyone gets it :)

60 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections July 18, 2013 at 11:56 am