Baby Tooth: 40 Weeks

Okay seriously…hopefully THIS is the last update I have for you all, since as of last Friday, we officially hit the big 4-0 week mark!

40 Weeks

(photos taken on Saturday)

Baby Tooth is 40 weeks, 4 days today and is about the size of a small pumpkin…and apparently a pretty cozy pumpkin at that.

IMG_0525-001

Here’s what Baby Tooth has been up to this week:

• If Baby Tooth is anything like the “average newborn,” he would weigh about 7 1/2 pounds and be about 20 inches long…but he’s apparently already a bit ahead of the game (see below).
  • His skull bones are not yet fused, which allows them to overlap a bit if it’s a snug fit through the birth canal during labor. This so-called “molding” is the reason your baby’s noggin may look a little conehead-ish after birth.

And here’s what’s been happening with me this past week:

Weight gained: Not sure. I think I gained another pound after my last appointment but I honestly wasn’t even paying attention. I could so care less about that at this point.

Workouts: I’d have to say that the past three days have, by far, been the most active for me in quite a while. On both Saturday and Sunday I ended up walking for 40 minutes each, a little over 2 miles each time. Last night, I walked another 20 minutes (1 mile). My sole purpose for any extra sort of movement these days is to get little man O-U-T.

Labor Signs: I continue to have contractions and Braxton Hicks, but still nothing in any sort of a consistent pattern. Over the weekend, I did lose my mucus plug (TMI, so sorry), and at our doctor appointment yesterday we found out I’m about 3cm dilated. The doctor also mentioned that his head is basically “right there,” so hopefully he’s starting to get the hint. Although we’ll never know, I have many people (yes, I’m lookin’ at you Chels!) that my labor is going to be QUICK since I’m already that far along without any real, consistent contractions. What do I know though…I guess only time will tell! Winking smile

Symptoms: A lot of the same, just a lot more prenounced…

• Low back pain and pelvic pressure
  • Braxton Hicks and/or contractions – some way stronger than others
  • A feeling like my uterus is basically going to fall out…seriously. Weirdest sensation ever.
  • Itchy belly/skin
  • Sore feet – still tough in the mornings
  • Some swellings in hands, feet, and ankles
  • Spider veins in my legs (this has actually been going on for a while but I never really thought to include it – they’re gross. I’m hoping they fade a bit after birth, but I have no idea)
  • Lots of trips to the bathroom with not much to empty

Movement: Movement is still happening but definitely a bit slower. Poor thing must be so stinkin’ squished in there.

Food Aversions: Nope.

Food Cravings: Nothing really. Food has been hit or miss this past week. I think my mind is so preoccupied that it winds up being one of the last things on my mind.

Sleep: It’s okay. I still have no problem falling asleep most nights, but I’ve started waking up more frequently throughout the night. Mostly for bathrooms breaks, but sometimes just because I need to reposition myself to try to get comfy again.

Stretch marks? I can’t believe it…we’re STILL stretch mark free over here. Never woulda thought, especially with going so long.

Miss Anything? All the same stuff as I’ve mentioned before. I also miss not feeling like I’m constantly thinking/worrying about what the heck is going on in there and/or when labor is actually going to begin.

Fun and/or Interesting Things from the Week: Last Friday (on the due date), we had a prenatal appointment which included a BPP (biophysical profile). They wound up giving Baby Tooth an A+ on his “exam,” explaining that he’s still doing great in there and they had no concerns for him at this point.

Obviously, I’d SO much rather see him in person, but since he’s being stubborn, it was still nice to get to see that face of his again…

Interestingly enough, the ultrasound tech said that I actually have quite a bit of amniotic fluid (not a bad thing), so a) that’s why they’re still able to get such good photos of him, and b) I’ll probably feel a LOT of relief once my water breaks. WOO HOO!

As of Friday, they estimated him to be around 7lbs 14oz, so I’m pretty sure that I’ll be looking at a solid 8+ pounder by the time he decides to show up. But hey…if Kate Middleton can push out an 8 pound, 6 ouncer, then I suppose I can handle it. Winking smile

Yesterday, we had another appointment which included a nonstress test. At first, little man wasn’t doing much of anything and then we realized that I hadn’t really eaten much of a breakfast before leaving the house. Thankfully, I had a Clif Z Bar in my bag, so after eating that, he perked right up and all went a-okay.

If things continue with no babe, I’m scheduled for another nonstress test on Thursday. Depending on how that goes, they may wind up inducing on Friday, which would be 41 weeks. I’m hoping I don’t wind up going that late, but I guess we’ll see what happens. We’ve been trying basically every old wives tale in the books this past week…maybe one of them will wind up working soon!

Belly Button in or out? Pretty much flat at this point, with a little bump that sticks out occasionally.

Wedding rings on or off? Still on, but snug in the heat.

Happy or moody most of the time: Oooof. This weekend was a bit tough. There was a good amount of tears, a lot of nerves and a lot of anxiety. The waiting game is just so hard, and when you see your due date come and go…and then continue to go…it’s just really hard to cope with sometimes. I’m so ready for this little guy to be here, and honestly, my body is just so ready to be done with pregnancy. I honestly cannot complain one bit, as pregnancy has been VERY good to me these past 40 weeks. But I’m ready.

Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who keeps me sane, along with some fabulous family and friends. Overall, I’d still say I’m feeling happy (I’m not walking around sulking or anything like that) but I do have my occasional mini meltdowns. I’m an emotional gal, what can I say?

New Baby Items: Nada, although we did put together our pack ‘n’ play over the weekend…and if you happened to catch it on Instagram, then you probably already saw that Cody has taken a liking to it.

Seriously…WHAT are we gonna do with that little rascal?!?

Looking Forward To: I think that’s pretty obvious at this point. Winking smile

Comments

1. Becky says

Good luck! You’re late and pretty far along, plus in good shape so it should go quickly! I hope it all goes well for you! :)

Sending good labor vibes your way! Here’s hoping he makes his appearance before Friday. You look fantastic at 40 weeks pregnant, wow! I can’t imagine how anxious you must be, though. Soon, soon! :)
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..July Fun

3. Danielle says

You look FANTASTIC, and little man looks adorable!!! I was thinking about how lucky this little guy is gonna be….all his friends are going to want to go to his house to get the good treats! Not to mention I am sure his teachers will look forward to his birthday to enjoy your cupcakes! :)

4. Susan says

I was induced with my first at 41 weeks. I know the waiting feels endless, but he really will come out eventually! Now I have such good memories of those last few days before his birth hanging out with my husband eating cupcakes, watching movies, and just being together. Now my little guy is 5!

5. Kristin says

You look gorgeous Courtney!! Sending good thoughts your way that your little man with make an appearance on his own!

6. Kate says

I was a week late and came out at 9lbs 14 oz (my poor, poor mother), but a day before the 41 week point she drank castor oil and when she went to buy it the cashier said “this isn’t for you, is it?” to which my mom replied “oh yes it is!!!” because she was so anxious to get me out. depending on how desperate you get, she swears by it!

7. Annie says

So glad that things are still going smoothly for you! I was 5 days late so I know how excited you’re feeling now! One small piece of advice I wanted to throw in since I was glad that my doctor told me. Even though your rings fit now, you will swell after the birth (but don’t worry you’ll rid of that extra fluid over the few days that you’re in the hospital!) I highly recommend taking your rings off now or you’ll risk them “getting stuck” after your little one decides to enter the world :) It took about a week before I could comfortably wear my rings again. I know it’s a small minute thing compared to everything that you’re focused on!

Good Luck!! I remember feeling ilterally EXACTLY the way you feel right now. I was induced at 41 weeks, but I was 0 cm dilated. i think the exact words they used when I checked in the night before was that I was the most “closed up” they had ever seen. I guess he wasn’t ready to come out but when he did he was 9 pounds!! It is so easy to say “hang in there” and “be patient” but honestly it’s all about mental survival at this point so do whatever you need to and if that is a mini meltdown, do it :) Just try and rest as much as possible!

I was late with my first, so hard mentally! With my second I had my membranes stripped and used y breast pump on and off all night and it worked at 39 weeks! I was also 3 cm for weeks with my first and labor was only 2.5 hours and 4 cm for over a month with number 2 and labor was 1.5 hours! Hope it works the same for you!

10. Sonya says

I hear you girl, I was due Friday too, now 4 days overdue and I really thought last nights full moon would pull my girl out. Nada. It’s so frustrating, but all my friends and family keep reminding me, she will come eventually! haha even though time is inching by, try to enjoy it, best of luck!

When I was pregnant, my due date came and went, and my sister (who’s due date was a month later) ended up having her little girl before me. It felt like a month went by before our little guy was born… and it took me nearly four months after that to realize that her kid is only 8 days older than ours. But it seriously felt like a month, not a week. I feel ya! Time goes slow when you’re whole body is waiting. And then it goes so fast once that little guy comes. Go on a date with Jay, enjoy this time and your little man will come when he’s ready :)
    Kim @ The Family Practice Blog recently posted..Summer Lovin and Mack turns 6!

12. Sylvia says

A friend of mine who was late as well had her membrane stripped, apparently that worked like a charm! (she went to labor few hours later) Those pics are so clear, he is going to be a cutie!! can’t wait for the announcement that he is here!

Love the Cody pic! Our daughter stopped sleeping in her bassinet in our room at about 8 weeks, but once she was done with it our cat enjoyed it so much my husband refused to take it out of our room until just recently…when our daughter turned (cough) thirteen months (cough). I was late with my daughter so I feel your pain – I hope he comes soon!

14. Colleen says

you look great!!! I totally remember the anxiety and crazy feelings I had a few days before giving birth. you’re going to do great and before you know it little man will be in your arms! I second the grocery shopping idea. that’s when my contractions started!

I just don’t know what you might be looking forward to! Help me out with that on 😉
    I’m so excited for you babay to get here and share the P&P with Cody. Seriously, Cody is SOOO cute in that! You might need two.
    Jill C. recently posted..A PSA On Socks

16. Kara says

Not trying to be a “Debbie downer” but he should be moving pretty actively up until he is born. If he starts to slow down, see your doctor. Trust your instincts. Just hopefully giving you a warning. Best of luck.

17. Nala says

Hi Courtney! I’m sure your little man on is well on his way soon! I hope everything goes smoothly for you and Baby Tooth makes his appearance soon =)

18. Gina Mahoney says

Courtney, I’m thinking about you! I loved reading this today! 3cm already…that is AMAZING! He is going to enter this world quickly and swiftly…when he is ready!! 😉 Standing by waiting for your news! So happy for you…and he is so adorable in those face shots!!

~Gina

19. Grace says

Congrats, Courtney! You look great – and don’t let some silly spider veins get you down! You can totally “fix” that later – my mom got laser surgery on her veins when she was done having kids, and it worked like a charm. Plus, it’s a small price to pay for a bundle of joy!! Best of luck this week!

20. April says

Hi! Ok I didn’t read all the comments. I’m sure this is in there somewhere but just in case it’s not…bounce on a fitness ball. My 2 friends have borrowed mine and delivered within a couple days of using it everyday. They both had there babies in the last couple months. :) I have not had a baby yet but we are planning pretty soon. I’ve enjoyed reading and learning! 😉

Hello, Nice write-up. There’s an concern along with your web site throughout ie, may perhaps follow through? Firefox even now will be the market place boss and a big component others will abandon your current superb writing just for this challenge.

Trackbacks