Free To Go Home?

Well, I thought yesterday was going to be the day.

I woke up in the morning as usual and started getting ready for work, but I just felt like total crap. Crampy, contractions, nauseous…it was no fun at all. I called the doc to see what they thought and they had me come in for an afternoon appointment.

Per usual, the first thing they did (after the whole pee in a cup thang) was take my blood pressure. Surprisingly, it was at a whopping 148/96, or something like that. Whatever it was, it was WAY higher than it usually is, and than it should be. So they hooked me up to the same monitor I was on on Monday and for another nonstress test.

Funny enough, the test actually showed that I was contracting pretty regularly…and most of them I couldn’t even tell were happening. How the heck does that happen?! Babe was still doing fine and partying it up in there like a champ, but they rechecked my blood pressure again at the end of the appointment and it was still high. After discussing options with the doc, we all agreed it would be best for me to head to the hospital.

Soooo, off we went! We had our bags with us, just in case, so we were prepared. We got there, checked in, and they brought me to a room to hook me up to the monitors once again. They said they were going to continue to check my blood pressure, as well as monitor my contractions to see where we were at. At this point, my blood pressure was actually getting back to normal, but I was having regular contractions every 2-5 minutes.

Again…still not feeling all of them.

Just found this funny…had to include it to break up the wordy post. Winking smile

They did some blood work to check my platelets or something like that, and an internal exam to see if any progress was made…and when all came back normal, they basically told me that I was free to go home. Wait, say whaaat?

The nurse we had was super sweet and explained all of the pros and cons of leaving or staying. Jay and I both decided it would be best to just go home and stick it out for now, so that’s what we did. Of course, we did make a quick pit stop at Chipotle before coming back home…

Chicken burrito bowl and lots of guac allllll for me. So amazing.

As the evening went on, I could still feel some contractions, some definitely stronger than others, but nothing too overwhelming. Around 10:30pm, I headed off to bed, wondering if (and sort of hoping) I’d be woken up with some sort of crazy contractions. Well, besides a couple trips to the bathroom, I actually wound up having a great night of sleep, hardly feeling any contractions.

Baby Tooth, what the heck are you DOING in there??

Sooooo, here we are this morning! I’m done working at this point (Tuesday wound up being my last day) just because of the fact that I am having such regular contractions. Since I’ve been up this morning, they are starting to intensify a bit more and some of them are even starting to cause the squinching of the face effect. I suppose I’ll take that as a good sign?

So we’ll have my appointment this afternoon and see how everything is going, but as of right now, we are still playing the waiting game. Smile

Comments

1. Kathryn says

Sounds like it might happen soon. Once I started having the face squinting contractions, babe came a day later. Good luck, sending labor thoughts your way!

2. Stacey M. says

Man oh man … the waiting is ALWAYS the worst! Praying today’s the day for Baby Tooth to make his appearance, and that all goes well for him, you and Jay. Wishing you all the very best!

3. Kathryn says

Also wanted to say, sometimes, as they’re getting ready to send you home, something happens that gets you to stay. Bit of TMI: For my 2nd, I had to play the waiting game (daughter was induced 5 weeks early). We thought it was go time, were at the hospital, but nothing significant was happening, doc was ready to send me home, was doing an exam and trying to “show” me why they couldn’t break my water. My son wasn’t low enough. She “showed” me this by bouncing his head off her fingers like a ball. Sure enough, 3rd time bouncing, pop! There went my water. So, who knows what will happen next time they check you.

4. Kristin says

maybe tonight will be the night,

I went 2 weeks late with my first; they had to induce me because she was way to comfy in there. The funny thing is she still never wants to leave my side and she is almost 11 :)

5. Heather says

I was 11 days late (crazy right!?) with my 2 year old so I understand the frustration and impatience that comes with waiting!! Hopefully, you go into labor soon! Good luck Courtney!!

When I have birth I woke up one night having contractions just a minute and ten seconds apart. The good things about not feeling them is not having to deal with the pain! When we got to the hospital I was already 8 cm dilated! Hoping you get lucky with a quick birth as well! Especially since you have waited long enough to meet your little man!
    Trainer Kjirsten recently posted..Intervals and Arms Workout

Usually it’s 24-48 hours after the doc strips your membranes. Get ready lady because they get a whole lot worse than face-squinchy. The last 2-3 hours of labor are the worst but worth it when they place him on your chest and you get that “I’ve known you forever” feeling. I had a 7 hour labor. 5 hours in I caved for epidural. Best decision I ever made.
    Christy recently posted..Furry Friday: A Great Big Brother

Lol – I love that cartoon. I’m sure you’re sick of my incessant texts at this point as well. I give you full reign to do the same to me in a few weeks. :) hope your doctors appointment shows that youre almost there!

9. Marieve says

Best of luck, today or tomorrow should be the day!! As a Labor and Delivery nurse, you did the right thing by going back home vs induction. More at risk for c-section etc, and your blood pressure came back to normal, no pre-eclampsia ;)
    Take one contraction at the time, you are stronger than you think, dont be afraid, take it as a ‘wave’ go with it…you’ll do great. The only outcome we want is a healthy baby and a healthy mom !!

10. Desiree says

I was in your same shoes eleven years ago. But I will say that July 26, 2002 I gave birth to a healthy 9 pound 2 oz baby boy. So maybe tomorrow for you too. Hang in there. Back to birthday planning for this mom. :)

11. Nala says

Awww, I hope the intensifying contractions are good sign pointing to the fact the little fella is on his way. Hang in there and hoping everything goes well for you!

12. Jean says

Hang in there…take it as good news you don’t feel the contractions. I have 4 kids and didn’t really feel many contractions until I was almost 7 centimeters…makes labor feel like it went really quick!

13. Lisa says

I very rarely (if ever) comment. But i wanted to say good luck, it sounds like you’re doing awesome at laboring at home. I also wanted to pass along this site my husband found. My best friend just gave birth Tuesday to her first baby., and she was 8 days overdue. She used this when she got tired of answering: http://haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com/

Hope everything goes smoothly!

14. Brigid says

Hang in there! My first was 10 days overdue! I was on pitocin (sp?) all day and having contractions but couldn’t feel them either. The doctor said it was because the baby hadn’t dropped and I hadn’t effaced or dilated.
    I definitely know what it feels like to wait…but its all worth it. Best of luck!

Just keep telling yourself it’s almost time!

I will say that my first came the day before I was due and I knew I was in labor because my water broke, not because I was feeling contractions. I got to the hospital, they hooked me up to machines and about an or so into, the nurse walked and said, “Oooooh, honey, did you feel that?” I replied with, “Feel what?” She followed that with a “Uh oh. We’re going to have make you feel these.” Apparentky I had a decent size contraction and never felt it. The doctor said I had probably been having them for a week and never felt a single one. They had to give me pitocin to help me feel them. Maybe you’ll have a high tolerance like I didn’t know I had. lol

I am SOoooooOOOoOOO excited for you. As a long time reader and harldly ever commenter, I have been in anticipation over the last week!! I can’t even IMAGINE home YOU AND JAY FEEL!! AHHH!!!!!!! BABY VIBES ARE BEING SENT YOUR WAY ALL THE WAY FROM NEW ZEALAND! All the best beautiful, to you and the family.

17. Eileen says

It sounds like you are in labor. We tend to view it as starting at one, obvious point but the reality is, it’s happening now! Maybe not quite as intense or fast as you’d like but you are so close. Hang in there! Enjoy the time off from work!

18. Erica says

We didn’t hear from you today! He must be here!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!! New mama! Your life has changed forever, and it only gets better! : )

Congrats on the arrival of Lucas! Now the fun begins…late night feedings, diaper changes, no sleep. I wouldn’t trade it for anything, even on my Jayson’s crankiest day. Good luck! If you need any tips, tricks or just to vent don’t hesitate. Make sure to reach out to someone though when it gets overwhelming (trust me it will) for help or advice.
    Christy recently posted..Furry Friday: A Great Big Brother

20. Kristina says

It sounds like you are getting really close. Maybe today will be the day? Sending positive thoughts your way. With my second who is 11 weeks we had the same thing happen. I came home from work early Thursday thinking I was in labor. I had done this before so I was pretty sure. We went to the hospital and although I was contracting regularly I wasn’t making progress so they sent me home. Things stated the same for 2 more days. Finally Saturday night we headed back to the hospital. They kept me this time and my baby was born on Sunday. (Mothers day). It’s called peridomal labor. Hang in there. Baby tooth will come and it will all be worth it!!

Because I’m like baby crazy (for other people’s babies not me… I am farrrrr away from that point in my life) I saw the pictures on Instagram and I just wanted to say congratulations to you and Jay. This is such an exciting time for y’all and I’m so so so happy for you!!! Enjoy every minute of being a new mom!
    Kelly recently posted..Either Obsessed or Ambivalent

22. Binds says

Well I’ve been checking the site for ANY news
    and just noticed in a comment that he, Lucas, is
    here!!!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! Hope everyone is doing
    well!! Can’t wait to see some pics of the little guy!!

23. Lindsay says

Hi Courtney,

I know you have a lot of wonderful things going on in your life right now and I do want to say congratulations. Lucas is handsome — he’s gonna be a heart breaker!

Anyways, today I was out in Colonie and I found a truck giving away free kitty litter just for driving by. The deal is great so I thought I’d pass it onto everyone I know that has a kitty in their household (Cody is indoor, right?). I know kitty litter isn’t your #1 priority at this point, but I figure if you’re in the area then it can’t hurt. I don’t know if any of these locations are near you, but here’s a link if you want to check it out: