Free To Go Home?

by Courtney on July 25, 2013

Well, I thought yesterday was going to be the day.

I woke up in the morning as usual and started getting ready for work, but I just felt like total crap. Crampy, contractions, nauseous…it was no fun at all. I called the doc to see what they thought and they had me come in for an afternoon appointment.

Per usual, the first thing they did (after the whole pee in a cup thang) was take my blood pressure. Surprisingly, it was at a whopping 148/96, or something like that. Whatever it was, it was WAY higher than it usually is, and than it should be. So they hooked me up to the same monitor I was on on Monday and for another nonstress test.

Funny enough, the test actually showed that I was contracting pretty regularly…and most of them I couldn’t even tell were happening. How the heck does that happen?! Babe was still doing fine and partying it up in there like a champ, but they rechecked my blood pressure again at the end of the appointment and it was still high. After discussing options with the doc, we all agreed it would be best for me to head to the hospital.

Soooo, off we went! We had our bags with us, just in case, so we were prepared. We got there, checked in, and they brought me to a room to hook me up to the monitors once again. They said they were going to continue to check my blood pressure, as well as monitor my contractions to see where we were at. At this point, my blood pressure was actually getting back to normal, but I was having regular contractions every 2-5 minutes.

Again…still not feeling all of them.

Just found this funny…had to include it to break up the wordy post. Winking smile

They did some blood work to check my platelets or something like that, and an internal exam to see if any progress was made…and when all came back normal, they basically told me that I was free to go home. Wait, say whaaat?

The nurse we had was super sweet and explained all of the pros and cons of leaving or staying. Jay and I both decided it would be best to just go home and stick it out for now, so that’s what we did. Of course, we did make a quick pit stop at Chipotle before coming back home…

Chicken burrito bowl and lots of guac allllll for me. So amazing.

As the evening went on, I could still feel some contractions, some definitely stronger than others, but nothing too overwhelming. Around 10:30pm, I headed off to bed, wondering if (and sort of hoping) I’d be woken up with some sort of crazy contractions. Well, besides a couple trips to the bathroom, I actually wound up having a great night of sleep, hardly feeling any contractions.

Baby Tooth, what the heck are you DOING in there??

Sooooo, here we are this morning! I’m done working at this point (Tuesday wound up being my last day) just because of the fact that I am having such regular contractions. Since I’ve been up this morning, they are starting to intensify a bit more and some of them are even starting to cause the squinching of the face effect. I suppose I’ll take that as a good sign?

So we’ll have my appointment this afternoon and see how everything is going, but as of right now, we are still playing the waiting game. Smile

1 Melissa July 25, 2013 at 10:23 am

Fingers crossed that today is the day! Hang in there, doll!

2 Heidi July 25, 2013 at 10:24 am

Ohhhhhh exciting!!!

My baby was breech and scheduled so i didn’t get to play this wait and see game :( Good luck lady!!! :) Here’s hoping he gets the eviction notice sooner rather than later ;)
Heidi recently posted..Baltimore Half Marathon Training Program

3 Heather @fitncookies July 25, 2013 at 10:24 am

He is just loving his little home! Goodness! You are taking this all way better than I would be! Praying today is the day for you!! Maybe not feeling your contractions will be signs for an easy delivery? One can hope!
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

4 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life July 25, 2013 at 10:24 am

Crossing my fingers that Baby Tooth comes today! The waiting game stinks. I was induced at 41 weeks 6 days because my little guy was a stubborn one!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Track Your Life from Your Wrist

5 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine July 25, 2013 at 10:25 am

Thinking about you!! Come on Baby Tooth!!!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Wedding: Picking a Date & Finding A Venue

6 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 25, 2013 at 10:26 am

I am totally calling that you have him early tomorrow. Hang in there Court!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..07/25/13: Thursday Thoughts

7 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle July 25, 2013 at 10:26 am

If it makes you feel better, I was there weeks late. :) Gotta love the late ’80s where doctors weren’t in that big of a rush to induce! I was apparently having a great ol’ time in the womb, haha. Hang in there! I hope it’s today!!
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..Baltimore HLB Meet-up Recap

8 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle July 25, 2013 at 10:26 am

*three weeks. Sheesh.
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..Baltimore HLB Meet-up Recap

9 Ashlee@HisnHers July 25, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Oh wow, your poor mama haha

10 Kathryn July 25, 2013 at 10:26 am

Sounds like it might happen soon. Once I started having the face squinting contractions, babe came a day later. Good luck, sending labor thoughts your way!

11 Ashley @ Life and Fitness July 25, 2013 at 10:27 am

Ohhhh maybe today’s the day!!! xo
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..New Products Lately

12 Nicole @ Curly Mommy July 25, 2013 at 10:28 am

Today!! Today is the day!! Hang in there momma!
Nicole @ Curly Mommy recently posted..Hey, remember me?

13 Julie @ Better Life with Burgers July 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

Good luck! We’re all rooting for you!
Julie @ Better Life with Burgers recently posted..Hollywood Bowl and Admitting Defeat

14 Jennifer July 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

Good luck Courtney! Its my due date today too….hoping we both have christmas in july babies!

15 Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl July 25, 2013 at 10:32 am

When I first started reading I was like “SHE HAD HIM” then I kept going and not yet haha. I’m glad they kept you for a bit, though, to make sure everything was okay!
Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl recently posted..WIAW- Two-a-day Eats

16 Emily @ The Good Era July 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

Soo exciting to hear that things are at least progressing!!! Good luck today…more prayers are with you <3
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Jawbone UP {Review}

17 Shaina July 25, 2013 at 10:34 am

Yay!! Today may very well be the day! Enjoy those squinchy face contractions – that’s progress! :-)

18 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 25, 2013 at 10:37 am

Hang in there Courtney and good luck! Keeping my fingers crossed as always! :-)
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #7 – My Love for Oatmeal

19 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl July 25, 2013 at 10:37 am

I think today just be be the day!! Sending positive thoughts your way!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..The Perfect App for the Magazine Addict

20 Melissa July 25, 2013 at 10:37 am

Thinking of you! Sending lots of good thoughts to you and your family!
Melissa recently posted..BLAST FROM THE PAST: Childhood Favorites Revisited!

21 Stacey M. July 25, 2013 at 10:39 am

Man oh man … the waiting is ALWAYS the worst! Praying today’s the day for Baby Tooth to make his appearance, and that all goes well for him, you and Jay. Wishing you all the very best!

22 Beks July 25, 2013 at 10:40 am

You’ve made your body far too comfortable for him, Courtney! Hope you become a mama soon!

23 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 25, 2013 at 10:42 am

Sounds like today could be the day! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that he makes his appearance
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Why I Subscribe to Your Blog.

24 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution July 25, 2013 at 10:43 am

I feel so bad for you!! This must be awful! And I know you must feel like you HAVE to be patient, but it must be so very hard to do that. I’m going to spend today willing Baby Tooth to come out from afar. Hope it works!
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..The Graduate

25 Kathryn July 25, 2013 at 10:45 am

Also wanted to say, sometimes, as they’re getting ready to send you home, something happens that gets you to stay. Bit of TMI: For my 2nd, I had to play the waiting game (daughter was induced 5 weeks early). We thought it was go time, were at the hospital, but nothing significant was happening, doc was ready to send me home, was doing an exam and trying to “show” me why they couldn’t break my water. My son wasn’t low enough. She “showed” me this by bouncing his head off her fingers like a ball. Sure enough, 3rd time bouncing, pop! There went my water. So, who knows what will happen next time they check you.

26 Kristin July 25, 2013 at 10:45 am

maybe tonight will be the night,

I went 2 weeks late with my first; they had to induce me because she was way to comfy in there. The funny thing is she still never wants to leave my side and she is almost 11 :)

27 Natalie @ Free Range Human July 25, 2013 at 10:47 am

This must be so frustrating for you!! All three of you are in my thoughts today. Fingers crossed!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Company in Camp

28 Linz @ Itz Linz July 25, 2013 at 10:50 am

you and katie with your chipotle dinners!!! i’m glad everything is well, though i’m sure it was a bit unnerving! can’t wait for lil man to arrive! :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..I’m nutz for NuttZo!

29 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

Your poor thing!! But I am glad that you at least got some Chipotle out of the deal ;).
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: New-To-Me Foods + A Call for Posts!

30 Angela @ Health's Angel July 25, 2013 at 10:55 am

Good luck Courtney! C’MON BABY TOOOOOTH! :)
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..July Fun

31 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 25, 2013 at 10:57 am

Bummer……. BUT, I’m not going to lie, the face squinching sounds like the beginning of early labor- real labor! Crossing my fingers for you! Cooooome oooooon Baby Tooth! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Shifting.

32 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 25, 2013 at 10:59 am

Also, your pic made me laugh. I’m pretty sure the only reason I went into labor was eeeeeeveryone was asking me what I was doing at work and when I was going to have that baby…. ugh.
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Shifting.

33 Heather July 25, 2013 at 10:59 am

I was 11 days late (crazy right!?) with my 2 year old so I understand the frustration and impatience that comes with waiting!! Hopefully, you go into labor soon! Good luck Courtney!!

34 char eats greens July 25, 2013 at 11:07 am

I hope to hear baby news for you soon!! I bet the anticipation is killing you!! And go you for not even feeling some contractions. Rockstar, much?! ;)
char eats greens recently posted..eight months old

35 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run July 25, 2013 at 11:08 am

Come onnn, Baby Tooth… we’re waitin’ for ya!! ;)

36 Lauren July 25, 2013 at 11:11 am

So close!!! Tell the little guy to hurry it up! ;)

37 Katie@LifesNextBigStep July 25, 2013 at 11:12 am

Oooh so so soon! He’ll be here before you know it and it is the absolute most wonderful thing in the world!! Good luck!
Katie@LifesNextBigStep recently posted..Brooke is 5 weeks old and another update

38 Trainer Kjirsten July 25, 2013 at 11:14 am

When I have birth I woke up one night having contractions just a minute and ten seconds apart. The good things about not feeling them is not having to deal with the pain! When we got to the hospital I was already 8 cm dilated! Hoping you get lucky with a quick birth as well! Especially since you have waited long enough to meet your little man!
Trainer Kjirsten recently posted..Intervals and Arms Workout

39 Christy July 25, 2013 at 11:19 am

Usually it’s 24-48 hours after the doc strips your membranes. Get ready lady because they get a whole lot worse than face-squinchy. The last 2-3 hours of labor are the worst but worth it when they place him on your chest and you get that “I’ve known you forever” feeling. I had a 7 hour labor. 5 hours in I caved for epidural. Best decision I ever made.
Christy recently posted..Furry Friday: A Great Big Brother

40 Chelsey July 25, 2013 at 11:22 am

Lol – I love that cartoon. I’m sure you’re sick of my incessant texts at this point as well. I give you full reign to do the same to me in a few weeks. :) hope your doctors appointment shows that youre almost there!

41 Lynn July 25, 2013 at 11:25 am

GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK!!!!! Hoping today is the day for you! Can’t wait to see your little dude :)

42 Lisa July 25, 2013 at 11:26 am

Hang in there lovely! Sending some positive vibes to you today!!
I’m totally guessing he’ll be here tomorrow!

43 Nicole July 25, 2013 at 11:36 am

Oh my goodness!

44 Marieve July 25, 2013 at 11:50 am

Best of luck, today or tomorrow should be the day!! As a Labor and Delivery nurse, you did the right thing by going back home vs induction. More at risk for c-section etc, and your blood pressure came back to normal, no pre-eclampsia ;)
Take one contraction at the time, you are stronger than you think, dont be afraid, take it as a ‘wave’ go with it…you’ll do great. The only outcome we want is a healthy baby and a healthy mom !!

45 Ashley July 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Best of luck to you guys!!

46 Leigha @ Minougirl July 25, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Ohhh my gosh! Come on Baby Tooth!! Courtney, I was 11 days late though! Supposed to be born Jan 7 but didn’t come until the 18th!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..WIAW – Are You Cereal?

47 Cat July 25, 2013 at 12:15 pm

25th July is a good date to be born… Just saying

48 Danica @ It's Progression July 25, 2013 at 12:15 pm

You’re such a trooper.
Hang in there….I predict he’s born early tomorrow morning!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Ask Me Anything Answers (part 1)

49 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance July 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Good luck! I hope today is the day! You are so calm about the whole go to the hospital thing. I would have been so anxious! See you are already going to be a good mother! :)
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..National Dance Day Plus a Giveaway to Get Your Groove On!

50 Barbara July 25, 2013 at 12:19 pm

It will be either today, tonight, or tomorrow. Yay! He’s just taking his time coming out

51 Emily @ Life on Food July 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Exciting! And I love you stopped at Chipotle.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..BC BBQ Sauce and Ribs {Pass the Cookbook}

52 Desiree July 25, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I was in your same shoes eleven years ago. But I will say that July 26, 2002 I gave birth to a healthy 9 pound 2 oz baby boy. So maybe tomorrow for you too. Hang in there. Back to birthday planning for this mom. :)

53 Megan (Braise The Roof) July 25, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Thinking of you! Can’t wait to hear that you’re springing the baby outta there – it will happen soon enough! :)

54 Nala July 25, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Awww, I hope the intensifying contractions are good sign pointing to the fact the little fella is on his way. Hang in there and hoping everything goes well for you!

55 Jean July 25, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Hang in there…take it as good news you don’t feel the contractions. I have 4 kids and didn’t really feel many contractions until I was almost 7 centimeters…makes labor feel like it went really quick!

56 Annette@FitnessPerks July 25, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Ahhhhh! You’re so close! I bet it’ll be tonight or tomorrow :) He’s on his way-wahoo!!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Things NOT to Say in a Fitness Class + Fro Yo + Kona Kase

57 Ashlee@HisnHers July 25, 2013 at 1:02 pm

You’re a trooper! I think that Baby Tooth was giving you one last night of good sleep before he makes his appearance!
Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted..Road Trip Day 4: Picnic on the Beach, Downtown & Pleasure Pier

58 pippa@popovertopippas July 25, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I hope that Baby Tooth makes an appearance soon and that everything goes well!

59 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 25, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I hope that you get to meet your baby soon! Maybe it’s a good thing that you can’t feel too much pain yet? Hopefully that means you’ll have a fast and easy delivery!

60 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 25, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Aw, I’m sorry that they sent you home. Here’s to hoping that he arrives tonight or at the latest tomorrow. It’s exciting though. Soon he will be in your arms! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Mushroom & Cheese Frittata!!…

61 Shel@PeachyPalate July 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Eek!!! Getting close now…or perhaps it’s all over?? :)

62 Tara@PNWRunner July 25, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I have been thinking about you guys everyday!! Baby will come soon enough. Maybe a little later than expected. I was a week late and my mom was not pleased!
Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..Mariners Game Recap!

63 Lisa July 25, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I very rarely (if ever) comment. But i wanted to say good luck, it sounds like you’re doing awesome at laboring at home. I also wanted to pass along this site my husband found. My best friend just gave birth Tuesday to her first baby., and she was 8 days overdue. She used this when she got tired of answering: http://haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com/

Hope everything goes smoothly!

64 Sammie July 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Best of luck to you guys! :)

65 Emily @ Sweet Summer Smiles July 25, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I keep checking your blog to see if baby tooth has arrived yet! Hang in there!

66 Xai July 25, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I feel like you’re in the home stretch! Best of luck if today is the day!
Xai recently posted..Chewy and Healthy Banana Oatmeal Cookies

67 Brigid July 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Hang in there! My first was 10 days overdue! I was on pitocin (sp?) all day and having contractions but couldn’t feel them either. The doctor said it was because the baby hadn’t dropped and I hadn’t effaced or dilated.
I definitely know what it feels like to wait…but its all worth it. Best of luck!

68 Sabrina July 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Just keep telling yourself it’s almost time!

I will say that my first came the day before I was due and I knew I was in labor because my water broke, not because I was feeling contractions. I got to the hospital, they hooked me up to machines and about an or so into, the nurse walked and said, “Oooooh, honey, did you feel that?” I replied with, “Feel what?” She followed that with a “Uh oh. We’re going to have make you feel these.” Apparentky I had a decent size contraction and never felt it. The doctor said I had probably been having them for a week and never felt a single one. They had to give me pitocin to help me feel them. Maybe you’ll have a high tolerance like I didn’t know I had. lol

69 Brooke @ Running In Heels July 25, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Thinking about you today!! I know it will be any day now! :) GOOD LUCK!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Family Camp Weekend, Lakeside Runs, And A New Obsession

70 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 25, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Baby Tooth is clearly a little too comfortable in there! ;) Addie was the same way! I’m hoping you’re at the hospital as I type this haha!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Apps for Kids!

71 Faith@The Stirring Place July 25, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Hang in there! we’re rooting for you!! :)
Faith@The Stirring Place recently posted..Until Next Week

72 Natalie July 25, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I am SOoooooOOOoOOO excited for you. As a long time reader and harldly ever commenter, I have been in anticipation over the last week!! I can’t even IMAGINE home YOU AND JAY FEEL!! AHHH!!!!!!! BABY VIBES ARE BEING SENT YOUR WAY ALL THE WAY FROM NEW ZEALAND! All the best beautiful, to you and the family.

73 Shari July 25, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Sending so many good vibes your way!
Shari recently posted..A Step Back.

74 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 25, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Aw man, he’s really hanging on in there! Fingers crossed his makes his appearance soon!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Win Some Inspiration Wear!

75 Allison (Ms. Whirlwind) July 26, 2013 at 1:39 am

Any time now! My birthday is on Saturday (the 27th), and it’s a great day to be born. But when you’re overdue, any day is welcome, hah.
Allison (Ms. Whirlwind) recently posted..Friend Making Monday

76 Sarah @ A Refining Adventure July 26, 2013 at 7:51 am

Ahh! Oh no…what a tease. Baby Tooth is already giving you trouble, huh? ;-) Hoping you’re at the hospital now!
Sarah @ A Refining Adventure recently posted..Jumping All Over the Place

77 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog July 26, 2013 at 9:36 am

Thinking of you and Baby Tooth! I’m sure he’ll be making that appearance any minute now :-)
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..A Simple Summer Recipe

78 Eileen July 26, 2013 at 11:12 am

It sounds like you are in labor. We tend to view it as starting at one, obvious point but the reality is, it’s happening now! Maybe not quite as intense or fast as you’d like but you are so close. Hang in there! Enjoy the time off from work!

79 Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love July 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm

EEeekk!!! Sounds like you should be having that baby this weekend! Woo woo!! And hilarious cartoon! HA!
Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love recently posted..Ultrasound, Late Birthday Dinner, and Baby Shower

80 Erica July 27, 2013 at 3:36 am

We didn’t hear from you today! He must be here!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!! New mama! Your life has changed forever, and it only gets better! : )

81 Christy July 27, 2013 at 4:51 am

Congrats on the arrival of Lucas! Now the fun begins…late night feedings, diaper changes, no sleep. I wouldn’t trade it for anything, even on my Jayson’s crankiest day. Good luck! If you need any tips, tricks or just to vent don’t hesitate. Make sure to reach out to someone though when it gets overwhelming (trust me it will) for help or advice.
Christy recently posted..Furry Friday: A Great Big Brother

82 Kristina July 27, 2013 at 7:58 am

It sounds like you are getting really close. Maybe today will be the day? Sending positive thoughts your way. With my second who is 11 weeks we had the same thing happen. I came home from work early Thursday thinking I was in labor. I had done this before so I was pretty sure. We went to the hospital and although I was contracting regularly I wasn’t making progress so they sent me home. Things stated the same for 2 more days. Finally Saturday night we headed back to the hospital. They kept me this time and my baby was born on Sunday. (Mothers day). It’s called peridomal labor. Hang in there. Baby tooth will come and it will all be worth it!!

83 Kelly July 27, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Because I’m like baby crazy (for other people’s babies not me… I am farrrrr away from that point in my life) I saw the pictures on Instagram and I just wanted to say congratulations to you and Jay. This is such an exciting time for y’all and I’m so so so happy for you!!! Enjoy every minute of being a new mom!
Kelly recently posted..Either Obsessed or Ambivalent

84 Binds July 27, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Well I’ve been checking the site for ANY news
and just noticed in a comment that he, Lucas, is
here!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Hope everyone is doing
well!! Can’t wait to see some pics of the little guy!!

85 Lindsay July 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Hi Courtney,

I know you have a lot of wonderful things going on in your life right now and I do want to say congratulations. Lucas is handsome — he’s gonna be a heart breaker!

Anyways, today I was out in Colonie and I found a truck giving away free kitty litter just for driving by. The deal is great so I thought I’d pass it onto everyone I know that has a kitty in their household (Cody is indoor, right?). I know kitty litter isn’t your #1 priority at this point, but I figure if you’re in the area then it can’t hurt. I don’t know if any of these locations are near you, but here’s a link if you want to check it out:

86 Lora July 28, 2013 at 5:21 am

Congrats, hope you will post the pics soon :)
Lora recently posted..Revitol Skin Tag Removal For a Smooth and Beautiful Skin Look

87 Ksenija @ Health Ninja July 28, 2013 at 8:26 am

CONGRATULATIONS! Baby Tooth is the cutest little thing. Cannot wait for more pictures here on the blog.
Ksenija @ Health Ninja recently posted..Leg and Sprint Workout {make your thighs burn}