All It Took Was One Time

by Courtney on August 6, 2013

Apparently, all it took was the one time for Lucas to feel comfortable peeing on his mama…

Because he was at it again last night (the white is a random paint stain).

*edited to add…and again this morning. Winking smile

We had Lucas’s newborn photos done at the house and let me first just say that newborn photos are no joke. First you have to get them to sleep (not just a little asleep…sound asleep!), then you have to try to move/pose them while sleeping. Naked. And, inevitably, he’s bound to “let loose.” Not only did he pee on me, but he really did a number (of both the 1 and 2 variety) on a poor football blanket we had. Oy vey!

After about three hours we finished the session and I cannot WAIT to see how they all turn out. Our photographer, Cara Olsen, did post a teaser pic on Facebook today which I shared on the STSL page, so feel free to check it out. Little man is looking more and more like his dad…little stinker.

While we were outside working on getting the photos, Jay and I both smelled neighbors of ours grilling and it smelled sooo good. Apparently, that was all Jay needed because by the time the photos were done, he told me that he defrosted and marinated chicken and wound up making us a whole dinner while I took care of feeding and changing Lucas.

We had Italian marinated grilled chicken, brown rice, and some veggies. It was really, such a simple meal, but I cannot tell you good it tasted. Not only was I starving, but it’s been a long time since we just had a simple, grilled meal. I’m so thankful for a husband who will cook when he wants. Smile

Lucas was pretty wiped after his photos so he slept a majority of the evening while Jay and I hung out. Once again, Cody continued to keep his curious self around…

His little sniffer was working like crazy and he must have stood there for a good five minutes just intently watching him. And then he went and cuddled with Jay. Too cute.

q

A couple hours after dinner (actually more like an hour and a half) I was still legitimately hungry (not just feeling like I wanted to eat) so I threw together a mug of cereal with almond milk and snacked on that while watching The Bachelorette.

I didn’t watch the whole season, but I did wind up getting sucked in to the last few weeks. What can I say…that Chris Harrison reels me right in every. single. time. with his whole “traumatic ending” previews.

After a decent night of sleep for my little man, the two of us have been up and at it this morning. I actually started writing this post about an hour and a half ago while he was napping…and now, after feeding and a double diaper change (because, of course, he poops again before I can even get the new one strapped up) we’re enjoying some tummy time.

Later this week, I’m planning on putting together a post about Lucas’s birth story (hello, 18 hours of labor!) so be on the lookout. In the meantime, I’m going back to chill with my boy while he’s still awake. Smile

1 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 6, 2013 at 10:16 am

Haha those first several weeks I got peed on more times than I can count! ;) These days I’ve been getting pooped and spit up on…lovely, right? Good thing they’re darn cute!!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..My Food ‘N’ Fitness (and baby?) Diaries

2 Courtney August 6, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Haha I saw your FB status this morning, made me giggle :)

3 Ashley @ Life and Fitness August 6, 2013 at 10:19 am

Hahha I can’t believe he’s peed on you that many times already! Can’t wait to see the newborn photos!
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Swimming Cardio Workout

4 Emily @ The Good Era August 6, 2013 at 10:19 am

haha oh the joys of little baby boys!

I can’t wait to see how your pictures turned out/read about the birth story!
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Take Time Tuesday

5 Heathers Looking Glass August 6, 2013 at 10:20 am

Ah the joys of parenthood. Maybe I’m not quite ready lol
Heathers Looking Glass recently posted..Monthly Goals: August 2013

6 Stacey M. August 6, 2013 at 10:20 am

How is it that you always look amazing … even after your baby pees on you?! Loving your long hair … I’m trying to grow mine out now too. I’m getting there!

I bet the photos of Baby Lucas are just precious … and the photographer is right, he DOES look more and more like Jay every day!

Looking forward to your upcoming birth story post … If it’s true to (your) form, I know it will be a good one! Children are definitely in my near future, so I like to hear from other moms about their pregnancy and childbirth. It’s definitely good information, straight from the source! Thank you for being so willing to share … I know there are many of us who really appreciate your honesty.

7 Courtney August 6, 2013 at 2:24 pm

You are too sweet, thank you! The hair is actually in need of a cut though…Lucas is already enjoying grabbing it. ;)

8 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine August 6, 2013 at 10:22 am

Ah! I can’t get over how sweet he is. And how funny Cody is! Too precious! (:

9 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 6, 2013 at 10:24 am

I’ve always figured taking new born photos can be difficult to take…guess that’s true!!!! I’m sure they turned out awesome thought and I love the pic on FB!

So nice of Jay to make dinner and it looks pretty darn tasty too!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..A Day at the Beach

10 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers August 6, 2013 at 10:29 am

Oh-so much to look forward to. haha I’m sure the pictures will be great though and totally worth it.
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Being the Hostess with the Mostess

11 Melissa August 6, 2013 at 10:30 am

Dinner looks great! Sometimes, it’s the simplest of meals that end up being the best. I am so looking forward to your post about Lucas’ birth!
Melissa recently posted..GIVEAWAY WINNERS Revealed: Did YOU win?!

12 Lisa August 6, 2013 at 10:36 am

Haha, I’ve heard stories about the first week being the hardest with the baby peeing on their Mama’s;)
I feel you with Chris Harrison sucking me in each year at the most dramatic episode ever. I don’t know why I keep on falling for that.
And I just adore the pictures of Lucas and Cody. Too cute for words.
Lisa recently posted..Start Your Day Off Right

13 Jessica August 6, 2013 at 10:45 am

I read your blog everyday and I love these baby posts! The newborn pic on FB is adorable. How are you not exhausted? Looking great new mama :)

14 Courtney August 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Haha, oh I am definitely exhausted! Don’t let my posts fool you :)

15 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life August 6, 2013 at 10:47 am

Gotta love having a baby boy! ;) Ahh I can’t wait to see those baby pictures! I just love newborn sessions!

16 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl August 6, 2013 at 11:03 am

There is no way that I could ever be a newborn photographer (or probably a photographer, in general). Those people are most definitely blessed with lots of patience!!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Spicy Tortilla Chip Bean Burgers

17 Laura @losingrace August 6, 2013 at 11:05 am

Boys will be boys! At least he is super cute to make up for “christening” you all the time.

Can’t wait to see the newborn pics, they always make my heart melt and my baby fever temperature spike
Laura @losingrace recently posted..Boston (NY) Trail race/Mud run Recap

18 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 6, 2013 at 11:09 am

Aww! Sorry that he peed on you again. I guess that is expected with little boys. I can’t wait to see the baby pictures! I think newborn pictures are so cute.

Dinner looks delicious :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Organization & My Bachelorette Reaction!…

19 Leigha @ Minougirl August 6, 2013 at 11:12 am

So excited to to see the pics!! oh man, that is NOT something I’m looking forward to when I have a baby… The Bachelorette always sucks me in too!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Lake Antoine Classic 15k

20 Lauren August 6, 2013 at 11:28 am

I never watch the Bachelor/Bachelorette but I definitely got suckered in to watching it last night. My family found it… er, amazing… how quickly she went from loving one guy to the other one. Awkward.

LOL for Lucas letting loose on you. I really think it happens to a mommy/daddy at least once!

21 Courtney August 6, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I know, right? I thought for sure she was just going to end it…pretty crazy to jump from one to the other so quickly!

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 6, 2013 at 11:38 am

Oh the glamorous life of a mommy. ;) I will never forget one time when Addie was maybe 2 weeks old. I was about to breastfeed her, so I already had my shirt and bra off. But then she peed so I decided to change her diaper first. I’m leaning over her as I’m changing her with my boobs just hanging out … when she decides to pee and poop ALL over me, the changing pad, and the floor. In the meantime, my boobs had decided to start leaking. So I have breastmilk, pee, and poop all over me and her. It was quite the scene. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Some Addie Videos!

23 Courtney August 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm

LOL — Kristen, this made me laugh!! Although I haven’t had the poop yet (unless you count about 3 minutes after he was born!) I have had the boobs hanging out, leaking all over while changing him. I just have to stop and laugh because, really, what else can ya do? ;)

24 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 6, 2013 at 11:42 am

I used to work in a group home for teenage mothers, and being peed on is pretty much inevitable with a newborn ;-) So excited to see the photos though, I bet they’re gorgeous! Dinner looks awesome, so nice that Jay will cook for you once in a while!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Wonderful Weekend Wedding.

25 Debbie @ Healthy Running Mom August 6, 2013 at 11:44 am

Ha-
I got pee’d on plenty of times by my boys. Eventually, I figured out to put a clean diaper over him while cleaning up “just in case”!
It’s just infant pee, it’s kinda funny :).
If it happened when they got to big, it’d be a problem .
Enjoy all the fun!

26 Courtney August 6, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Haha, I actually usually have these “pee pee teepees” that I can put over him, or I just use a wipe. He was just too quick for me this morning ;)

27 Lynn August 6, 2013 at 11:45 am

I can’t imagine you’ve got the time to read all these posts, but you’re seriously a rock star momma! You look amazing! I still won’t rock a tank top that fits my midsection. And while you’re getting poo’d and peed on, you seem to really have it together. Go you!

28 Courtney August 6, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Aww, thank you! :)

29 Aurora@Fitness is Sweet August 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I love the Cody and Lucas pictures!
Aurora@Fitness is Sweet recently posted..So Much Excitement

30 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 6, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Awww I bet the pictures will be precious though!! That food looks amazing – much better than the dinner I had last night :) Enjoy your day!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..A Sweet “Healthier” Treat

31 Miranda @ Miranda Runs August 6, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I had to click over to the facebook page and see the photo- it’s SO ADORABLE!!!! His clothes are so cute :)
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..The day I barely had time to breathe

32 Julie August 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I’m usually just a silent reader, but after seeing that FB picture I just had to post. Lucas is soOoOo stinkin’ cute! Babies in “adult” clothes like button-ups and vests is my weakness. And while I know you don’t post all details of your life on here (as you shouldn’t! :)), from what I’ve read it seems like this whole mom thing is coming very natural to you and it definitely suites you well because you look great! Congrats again :)

33 Courtney August 6, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Thanks, Julie!! I’m with ya on the adult-like clothes on babies. Cannot get enough of it!!

34 Annette@FitnessPerks August 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Oh man! That must be the worst! I am having a girl, so maybe it’ll happen less? hah.

He is so cute though!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..30 Weeks {StL Baby Shower Pics}

35 Parita August 6, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Newborn pics are THE CUTEST! I had no idea so much went into them!

And I love reading about y’all’s new life as a family – the little insights are the best!

36 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I honestly can’t even imagine how difficult it must be to photograph babies… And I never even took into account the “gifts” they might bestow on you :lol: It will all be worth it in the end though… Lucas is such a cutie and I can’t wait to see how the pics turn out!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... how i start my [early] day .

37 Kathryn August 6, 2013 at 1:16 pm

If he’s peeing on you during changes, there was a trick I was told about. Open the diaper for about 3 seconds, just enough to let the air hit him. The fold it back over and wait. Apparently, the air hitting that area triggers the reaction. There’s also the washcloth method (just putting a small washcloth over him so it doesn’t get all over you.

Can’t wait to see the rest of the pictures!

38 Brynn August 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm

That is so funny that you posted the pee picture! Well, such is life I guess.
I love fast and simple meals, they can be the best. A great idea is to stock up on stir fry veggies from Trader Joes and shrimp. Pull it out in the am to defrost, for dinner, throw it all in a pan – dinner in 10 min. I use steam in the bag brown rice too. Hey, we all need shortcuts sometimes. :)
Brynn recently posted..Fall Race Schedule

39 Katie August 6, 2013 at 1:35 pm

When we had our newborn pictures done a few months ago I’m so thankful the photographer was able to come to our house…It took about 3 hours with all the changing, feeding, and getting to sleep! Whew I can’t imagine trying to do that in some type of studio. I can’t wait to see more, the teaser picture was so cute :D I’m glad to see you guys are doing well :) You look GREAT!

40 Danica @ It's Progression August 6, 2013 at 1:53 pm

This is random, but I love your long hair! So pretty.
Can’t wait to see the newborn photos – that one on facebook is pretty stinkin cute : )
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..August: Now In Season!

41 Courtney August 6, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thank you! It’s getting a little TOO long and will probably be getting a good chop soon…especially since Lucas is already getting his hands on it ;)

42 Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty August 6, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I can’t wait to see the photos!! He is such a handsome little guy.
Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty recently posted..Clean Almond Chocolate Cookies

43 Ashlee@HisnHers August 6, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Looks like you’ve settled into motherhood and are doing an awesome job! You are so right..he does look like his Dad! I thought so from the first picture I saw!

44 Shel@PeachyPalate August 6, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Can’t wait to see the pics! And also hear about the labour…did you ever read Kath’s over at Kath Eats Real food….my god it was epic!

45 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog August 6, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Can’t wait to see the newborn pic!. I too was sucked in by the Bachelorette the last few weeks. It was a horrible season, but I actually think Chris was right on it being the most dramatic finale EVER haha
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Finding a New Gym and a Sometimes Healthy Veggie Roast

46 RunEatRepeat August 6, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I pee on myself all the time, wonder if I should blog about it…
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Salsa Stuffed Peppers Recipe

47 Linz @ Itz Linz August 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm

haha my sister is a newborn photographer and trust me when i say ALL parents get peed and pooped on during newborn sessions!! and i know how demanding those sessions are! my sister sends out a VERY specific instruction sheet prior to the session to ensure the baby is totally and completely passed out!! but she does do amazing working and i’m not just saying that. check her out with 12k+ fans on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stephaniecottaphotography
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Help FEED US Kids

48 Cheri August 6, 2013 at 7:31 pm

As the mom of two boys, let me give you a tip. Unfortunately, this tip means you will go through more diapers if he pees before you’re done…but less laundry. I always had the diaper open all the way and as I took one off I’d cover the front with the front of the clean diaper while I wiped them down. My second son had a thing with having projectile poop (I know, gross) once the diaper came off. So, the extra diaper really came in handy for him! It didn’t stop the mess, but at least it was more contained.

49 Nala August 7, 2013 at 3:33 am

Lucas is just too cute! I can’t wait to see his pictures and read about the birth story =) So how does it truly feel to be a mother? I’ve heard so many stories about how it’s one of the most amazing things in the world and are you going through any blues yet? or is the walking and spending time with your family keeping your spirits up?

50 Lauren @ LaMaLu Boutique August 7, 2013 at 9:27 am

Your hair is GORGEOUS. You look great!

51 Monica August 7, 2013 at 10:15 am

When we did Harlow’s newborn session a few months back, she poo’d on me THREE times and pee’d on me twice! The photographer actually has a picture mid-poo and me laughing. :)

52 Gracie August 7, 2013 at 10:23 am

Ah, there’s nothing like a good simple grilled meal in the summer! Well done, Jay ;)

And those pix of Lucas and Cody are too cute!!
Gracie recently posted..cost approach, 13.

53 Britt August 7, 2013 at 10:41 am

Can’t wait to read the birth story!!!
The pics with Cody staring at Lucas are too funny! lol

54 Lexi August 7, 2013 at 11:05 am

You look soooo good! I love hearing your stories since we’re trying for our first!

55 Sarah @ A Refining Adventure August 9, 2013 at 6:56 am

Looking forward to reading his birth story! He is so precious. I’m sure you’re LOVING motherhood!
Sarah @ A Refining Adventure recently posted..WIAW – “Things I Want” Edition