Family Lunch Date

Hey guys! Yes, I’m still alive. And I actually have a few free minutes while the little man is still sleeping (and I already got my mini nap in too!) so I figured I’d check in and say HI to you all!

That was Lucas yesterday morning…straight chillin’. ‘Winking smile

So, how has life been lately? Whew…talk about tiring, exhausting, wonderful, tough, and crazy. Basically, the first week of having Lucas born was really not bad at all…dare I say it was easy? I knew things wouldn’t last that way and, well, they did not.

Luckily, Lucas is a pretty easy baby for the most part, but lately, his evenings have been tiresome. Jay and I were joking last night, it’s like he’s an angel baby from 7-8am until about 3pm…then from about 3pm-10pm he’s a totally different baby. We’re all working on adjusting though, and while it can get difficult, Jay and I are a total team right now and there’s absolutely no way I could be doing this without him. He is amazing and I love him more and more every day.

Lucas has also gone through a growth spurt the past three days, starting on Saturday…when we had a bunch of people over to the house to celebrate Jay’s birthday.

Luckily, the party went great for everyone, but I spent most of it nursing just about every hour or less. I had a few “moments” during the day, but realized that having a bunch of people over so soon was probably biting off more than I could chew. Hey, whatcha gonna do, right? Live and learn!

The end of last week was also a bit of a struggle because Jay’s grandmother passed away. She was a wonderful, strong woman, and although she had been suffering for some time now, it was still incredibly sad to see her go. With the help of my amazing mom, I did manage to make it to some of the services on Friday while she watched Lucas, so I was glad I was able to do that and to be there for Jay. She will be missed.

But I must say…even though after reading the beginning of this post, it sounds like we’re all down in the dumps over here, we certainly are not! Parenthood is a tough job, but it’s also the most amazing, rewarding job we’ve both ever experienced…and we’re having fun, too!

For example, last Thursday we had our first family lunch date at B-Rad’s Bistro!

Can I just tell you how GOOD it felt to have some veggies for a change? Hey, even if there were sweet potato fries involved…I still got some greens. Smile

And yesterday, Lucas even gave me enough time to be able to make myself my own salad at home. I smothered him balsamic dressing with kisses to thank him.

YUM YUM YUM.

And finally, let me fill you in on the Cody vs. Lucas front.

As you can see, Cody continued to make his way closer. This was yesterday…

But THIS was Friday night, and I was sooooo excited to be able to capture the moment! All three of my boys…together at last.

And yes, Lucas did have his hand there on Cody all by himself…we did not stage anything about this picture. Loooove.

So I’m feeling pretty hungry right about now so I think it’s time for me to go grab a snack since I’m sure the little man is bound to wake up any minute now. I’m not sure how often I’ll get a chance to be checking in for these next few weeks, but I promise to try when I can!

Hope all is going well with all of you! Have a great Tuesday, everyone!! Smile

Comments

1. Donna Boudreau says

I hear you on having to entertain people so soon after having a baby. When I was pregnant with my 2nd, I had already planned a birthday party for my other daughter, who was turning 3. Well, I ended up getting induced 3 weeks early due to pregnancy induced hypertension (same as with the first) and I came home from the hospital on the day of the party. I wanted to still keep the party as scheduled because I had so much help but I can remember sitting, nursing the baby and crying, just wishing everyone would go home. I also remember my MIL sending everyone home with food and I was like, hey, I want leftovers, I just had a baby and don’t want to cook for weeks, ha ha.

2. Kathryn says

I understand the overwhelming feelings of having so many people over so soon. When my daughter was born, she was in the nursery (a step down from NICU) for a few days. She came home at 3 days old. We had been home for about 2 hours, when we get a call. My (now) ex’s Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, sister, and great aunt were 5 minutes away. Not to mention, 2 weeks after she was born was Thanksgiving, and all that implies. I totally understand where you’re coming from. It does get easier, I promise.

My exact thoughts when you told me you had 15 people over the other day: “Holy cow, she’s amazing!” LOL. I bet it was a little overwhelming, but I’m glad you guys got to celebrate Jay’s birthday with friends and family. And like I told you, late afternoons/evenings are babies’ typical fussy time, so hang in there! Hunter is getting better, but the evenings are still his time to be a little more fussy. They just get tired as the day goes on I think!
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Costco vs. Grocery Store

I love the picture of all of your boys! Great one! And I am sorry to hear Jay’s grandmother passed away. It’s always a tough time. I am glad things have been going relatively smoothly (or as smooth as possible 😉 ) this past week!

So sorry to hear about Jay’s grandmother – it’s so great that your mom was able to relieve you so that you could be there to support him! It sounds like you’re all doing really well – I’m happy for you!

6. Nicole says

Motherhood is hard work! My daughter was born rght before mothers day and my bday… We decided to skip both! I admire you for having a party!

7. Stacey M. says

So nice to hear from you again! We all totally understand how busy you are now, so no worries about not being able to post. You don’t have to apologize or explain anything. Also, my thoughts are with you and Jay – so sorry to hear about his grandmother.

With my son, his witching hour was 7pm-1am. It was exhausting! We are 1 month in with our new little one, luckily she hasn’t discovered her witching hour yet!
    I can absolutely relate to your cat though. I think out cat is still mad at me for bringing this little one home, she went from sitting on me/ sleeping with me, I couldn’t even go to the bathroom alone, now she won’t even come near me- forget about going near the baby!

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Jay’s grandmother. I know it is so hard when you lose anyone! Praying for you and your family!

Looks like you are doing a wonderful job as a new mom! Your son is so precious and your family is beautiful!

10. Kelsey Yoki says

Love catching up on this new journey of your’s with Jay! He looks like a little bundle of joy and is so adorable! Hope you have been feeling great…and getting veggies every day! Haha. Here is wishes to a happy Tuesday to you!

Is it possible he gets cuter every single time I see him? I just love love reading about your first days as a mother. I’m sure it is hard to find the time to write, but it’s just so interesting hearing the perspective of first-time mothers. Despite the fact that it seems hard, you’re making me want a baby even more :-)

I’ll look forward to reading your posts whenever you can!
    Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Let’s Talk About Breasts, Baby!

After reading your post it is amusing to me how similar it is to mine from yesterday! New babies must all go through the same things within the first few weeks of life. I went to a family BBQ a few days ago and my little boy did the same thing, eat the whole time! Your right though, totally worth it! Love him so much!
    Eryn @ Blondmindedbrunette.com recently posted..Change of Priorities

I’m loving all the photos! Lucas is adorable & that pic with his hand on cody–priceless!

And it sounds like motherhood is def tough but rewarding–love hearing that 😉 Have fun with lil’ man today!
    Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..31 Weeks

14. ashley says

i’m not sure if you answered this previously in your nursery reveal post but where did you get Lucas’s crib from?!! i love it!!

Great to hear from you! I always check for your updates. The picture of the three guys melts my heart! Props to you for hosting people after having a baby…I don’t even want to host people if there’s a tv show on I really want to watch haha
    Lauren recently posted..it ain’t easy being cheesy

The pic of the boys is precious! I am sure parenting is crazy tough, but it looks like your family is doing a great job! That is awesome that you’re already getting out with Lucas.
    Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..In need

hang in there Courtney! it’s pretty challenging when the baby turns into a different baby depending on the time of day, but they get better at night once they adjust :) and even then, there’s always something new that they transition to so remember that guessing around becomes a regular thing! Lately I’m constantly guessing with my lil Selah.
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..August Favorites and Inspirations

18. Marie says

I’m so sorry to hear about Jay’s grandmother! Sending thoughts and prayers out to all of you today! I LOVE that candid pic of you holding Lucas and Jay looking over your shoulder! 😉 Love the name you guys picked out, BTW! You look gorgeous, Courtney!

19. Laura says

Girl, don’t EVER feel like you have to defend the fact that you LOVE being a mommy, but it is freaking HARD!!! :) You remind me so much of myself… trying to continue life on as normal (i.e. hostin a cookout with a newborn), but I quickly learned I put WAAAAY to much on myself and ended up with slight PPD… not to mention my baby had a “witching hour” (or whole evening) which turned out to be colic to due reflux. It was SO hard and I remember thinking sometimes that I would never feel normal again (not to mention nursing and the wacky hormones from that!). Anyway, my son is now 14 months and I can now finally see myself having another one. Like you said, parenting is SO challenging, tough, and indescribable (until you actually become one), but it is so rewarding and fulfilling. And the wonderful news is it only gets better and easier(in my opinion) as they grow!!

Also, SO sorry to hear about your hubbys grandmother, praying for your family for peace during this time.

20. Nicole says

You know how I feel about the Code-man….. LOVE!! :) <3

My bro and SIL had twins last November. Their cat, Benji, still hasn't taken much of a liking to the boys yet. He'll be in the same room up to about 3 feet from either one of the boys….but that's about as close as he'll get!

21. Sandra says

Congrats on your baby!!! He is sooo precious. You two are going to make wonderful parents. Treasure these moments because they will fly by.
    If I may offer you some new mommy advice, I am a NICU Nurse and it’s not really good to have a newborn around a lot of people or outside the house before they’ve received their first rounds of shots. As you can imagine, there are tons of germs in the air and on people that can get in contact with baby Lucas. Also, as a medical professional, it would be best to have everyone who comes in contact with the baby to get a whopping cough vaccination.
    Just my two sense :)
    May GOD bless you and your family!

22. Nala says

So happy to hear you are settling into parenting, it must be a very interesting experience. I’m sorry to hear Jay’s grandmother passed on, at least you were there to support him! The pictures are so adorable…..I really love the one with you, Jay and Lucas at the party and of course who couldn’t love the three boys in one picture – to sweet. The salads also look pretty good! Hope you have a great rest of the week!

I had the same exact experience with my second child. 3pm to 10pm were the hardest (for me). She cried and cried. No matter what, it can be a challenge to deal with tears of your sweet, precious baby (exp. if you are up nursing). Make sure to tag team and take a break! I had some luck with The Magic Sleepsuit. She is a year old now and finally sleeps “like a baby” all night.
    Amanda Sechrist recently posted..Week in Review- Staying Dry!

Trackbacks