Family Lunch Date

by Courtney on August 13, 2013

Hey guys! Yes, I’m still alive. And I actually have a few free minutes while the little man is still sleeping (and I already got my mini nap in too!) so I figured I’d check in and say HI to you all!

That was Lucas yesterday morning…straight chillin’. ‘Winking smile

So, how has life been lately? Whew…talk about tiring, exhausting, wonderful, tough, and crazy. Basically, the first week of having Lucas born was really not bad at all…dare I say it was easy? I knew things wouldn’t last that way and, well, they did not.

Luckily, Lucas is a pretty easy baby for the most part, but lately, his evenings have been tiresome. Jay and I were joking last night, it’s like he’s an angel baby from 7-8am until about 3pm…then from about 3pm-10pm he’s a totally different baby. We’re all working on adjusting though, and while it can get difficult, Jay and I are a total team right now and there’s absolutely no way I could be doing this without him. He is amazing and I love him more and more every day.

Lucas has also gone through a growth spurt the past three days, starting on Saturday…when we had a bunch of people over to the house to celebrate Jay’s birthday.

Luckily, the party went great for everyone, but I spent most of it nursing just about every hour or less. I had a few “moments” during the day, but realized that having a bunch of people over so soon was probably biting off more than I could chew. Hey, whatcha gonna do, right? Live and learn!

The end of last week was also a bit of a struggle because Jay’s grandmother passed away. She was a wonderful, strong woman, and although she had been suffering for some time now, it was still incredibly sad to see her go. With the help of my amazing mom, I did manage to make it to some of the services on Friday while she watched Lucas, so I was glad I was able to do that and to be there for Jay. She will be missed.

But I must say…even though after reading the beginning of this post, it sounds like we’re all down in the dumps over here, we certainly are not! Parenthood is a tough job, but it’s also the most amazing, rewarding job we’ve both ever experienced…and we’re having fun, too!

For example, last Thursday we had our first family lunch date at B-Rad’s Bistro!

Can I just tell you how GOOD it felt to have some veggies for a change? Hey, even if there were sweet potato fries involved…I still got some greens. Smile

And yesterday, Lucas even gave me enough time to be able to make myself my own salad at home. I smothered him balsamic dressing with kisses to thank him.

YUM YUM YUM.

And finally, let me fill you in on the Cody vs. Lucas front.

As you can see, Cody continued to make his way closer. This was yesterday…

But THIS was Friday night, and I was sooooo excited to be able to capture the moment! All three of my boys…together at last.

And yes, Lucas did have his hand there on Cody all by himself…we did not stage anything about this picture. Loooove.

So I’m feeling pretty hungry right about now so I think it’s time for me to go grab a snack since I’m sure the little man is bound to wake up any minute now. I’m not sure how often I’ll get a chance to be checking in for these next few weeks, but I promise to try when I can!

Hope all is going well with all of you! Have a great Tuesday, everyone!! Smile

1 Donna Boudreau August 13, 2013 at 11:39 am

I hear you on having to entertain people so soon after having a baby. When I was pregnant with my 2nd, I had already planned a birthday party for my other daughter, who was turning 3. Well, I ended up getting induced 3 weeks early due to pregnancy induced hypertension (same as with the first) and I came home from the hospital on the day of the party. I wanted to still keep the party as scheduled because I had so much help but I can remember sitting, nursing the baby and crying, just wishing everyone would go home. I also remember my MIL sending everyone home with food and I was like, hey, I want leftovers, I just had a baby and don’t want to cook for weeks, ha ha.

2 Kathryn August 13, 2013 at 11:43 am

I understand the overwhelming feelings of having so many people over so soon. When my daughter was born, she was in the nursery (a step down from NICU) for a few days. She came home at 3 days old. We had been home for about 2 hours, when we get a call. My (now) ex’s Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, sister, and great aunt were 5 minutes away. Not to mention, 2 weeks after she was born was Thanksgiving, and all that implies. I totally understand where you’re coming from. It does get easier, I promise.

3 Michelle Kim August 13, 2013 at 11:48 am

Awww! What a beautiful family :)
I can tell that Lucas is going to be extremely blessed to have such awesome people in his life as he grows up!

4 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 13, 2013 at 11:48 am

Happy to hear that everyone’s going well for you and your family Courtney! Impressive that you were able to pull off a party with a newborn – even if it was understandably challenging. The picture of the three boys is so cute!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..EDs: The Myth of: “You Chose To Be Like This”.

5 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 13, 2013 at 11:50 am

My exact thoughts when you told me you had 15 people over the other day: “Holy cow, she’s amazing!” LOL. I bet it was a little overwhelming, but I’m glad you guys got to celebrate Jay’s birthday with friends and family. And like I told you, late afternoons/evenings are babies’ typical fussy time, so hang in there! Hunter is getting better, but the evenings are still his time to be a little more fussy. They just get tired as the day goes on I think!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Costco vs. Grocery Store

6 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 13, 2013 at 11:53 am

P.S. Lucas totally looks like Jay!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Costco vs. Grocery Store

7 Ashley @ Life and Fitness August 13, 2013 at 11:54 am

You are brave girl! Hosting a party when you just had a baby makes me exhausted for you haha. Sorry to hear about Jay’s grandma. You guys have had a lot going on the past couple weeks so hope you get to relax the rest of the week!
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Upper Body Workout

8 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty August 13, 2013 at 11:54 am

Great to hear from you! I’m glad things are going well. I love the picture of you and Jay and the baby. So precious. I’m sorry to hear about Jay’s grandma though. Celebrate the life she lived. Take care! Xoxo
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Five Things I’m Loving Tuesday

9 Lauren August 13, 2013 at 11:58 am

I love the picture of all of your boys! Great one! And I am sorry to hear Jay’s grandmother passed away. It’s always a tough time. I am glad things have been going relatively smoothly (or as smooth as possible ;) ) this past week!

10 Megan (Braise The Roof) August 13, 2013 at 12:10 pm

So sorry to hear about Jay’s grandmother – it’s so great that your mom was able to relieve you so that you could be there to support him! It sounds like you’re all doing really well – I’m happy for you!

11 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 13, 2013 at 12:20 pm

So happy to hear that things are going well for the most part! Sorry to hear about Jay’s grandmother. That’s so sad.

Love the pic of your 3 boys. So cute!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..The Sunshine Award

12 Danica @ It's Progression August 13, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I’m really sorry to hear about Jay’s grandmother….
It’s great that you have family so close to help with things! I’m glad that, overall, things are going well! You all just look so happy :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..A Guest Post from My Husband

13 Nicole August 13, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Motherhood is hard work! My daughter was born rght before mothers day and my bday… We decided to skip both! I admire you for having a party!

14 Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love August 13, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Too fun! I love how shy Cody is with him!

15 Stacey M. August 13, 2013 at 12:30 pm

So nice to hear from you again! We all totally understand how busy you are now, so no worries about not being able to post. You don’t have to apologize or explain anything. Also, my thoughts are with you and Jay – so sorry to hear about his grandmother.

16 Dawn August 13, 2013 at 12:32 pm

With my son, his witching hour was 7pm-1am. It was exhausting! We are 1 month in with our new little one, luckily she hasn’t discovered her witching hour yet!
I can absolutely relate to your cat though. I think out cat is still mad at me for bringing this little one home, she went from sitting on me/ sleeping with me, I couldn’t even go to the bathroom alone, now she won’t even come near me- forget about going near the baby!

17 Rebecca August 13, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I love that picture of Cody right in there with the guys. So adorable!
Rebecca recently posted..Greek Yogurt Pudding Trick

18 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl August 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I love all of the photos! You’re right having a new baby can be such a struggle, but so fun too…. all at the same time. Enjoy because it will go by in a flash! ;)
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cherry Plantain Bread- aka “the most delicious bread I’ve ever made”

19 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Jay’s grandmother. I know it is so hard when you lose anyone! Praying for you and your family!

Looks like you are doing a wonderful job as a new mom! Your son is so precious and your family is beautiful!

20 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats August 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Yayyy so glad to hear you guys are doing well! I’m sure it’s tough right now but you are a great mommy! Please send my condolences to Jay’s family as well :(
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..Super Fun Summer Weekend!

21 Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper August 13, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Your little one is SO CUTE! Sorry to hear about Jay’s grandma.
Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper recently posted..Vegetable Fried Rice

22 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life August 13, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I can only imagine how overwhelming everything must be, but you’re doing such a great job!
I’m so sorry to hear about Jay’s grandmother. I hope everyone is hanging in there.
Love that last picture!
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..Week in Review #12

23 Kelsey Yoki August 13, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Love catching up on this new journey of your’s with Jay! He looks like a little bundle of joy and is so adorable! Hope you have been feeling great…and getting veggies every day! Haha. Here is wishes to a happy Tuesday to you!

24 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog August 13, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Is it possible he gets cuter every single time I see him? I just love love reading about your first days as a mother. I’m sure it is hard to find the time to write, but it’s just so interesting hearing the perspective of first-time mothers. Despite the fact that it seems hard, you’re making me want a baby even more :-)

I’ll look forward to reading your posts whenever you can!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Let’s Talk About Breasts, Baby!

25 Eryn @ Blondmindedbrunette.com August 13, 2013 at 1:18 pm

After reading your post it is amusing to me how similar it is to mine from yesterday! New babies must all go through the same things within the first few weeks of life. I went to a family BBQ a few days ago and my little boy did the same thing, eat the whole time! Your right though, totally worth it! Love him so much!
Eryn @ Blondmindedbrunette.com recently posted..Change of Priorities

26 Melissa August 13, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Looks like a fun family lunch date! My condolences to you and Jay’s family, thinking of you.
Melissa recently posted..DUNK your DONUTS: How the world runs on DD!

27 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm

The good ole witching hours…. I’m sorry! Thankfully at least you know it’s totally normal and NOT at all anything you are doing. I’m sure that can test new mama hormones. You’re doing great lady!

28 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance August 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Oh my gosh, little Lucas is so cute!!! You are doing such a great job! Keep it up!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Linking Up for Target Practice Tuesday!

29 Annette@FitnessPerks August 13, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I’m loving all the photos! Lucas is adorable & that pic with his hand on cody–priceless!

And it sounds like motherhood is def tough but rewarding–love hearing that ;) Have fun with lil’ man today!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..31 Weeks

30 ashley August 13, 2013 at 1:50 pm

i’m not sure if you answered this previously in your nursery reveal post but where did you get Lucas’s crib from?!! i love it!!

31 Jenny August 13, 2013 at 2:01 pm

LOVE that picture of the boys!! :-)

Sounds like nursing is going pretty well for you too! So glad to hear it!
Jenny recently posted..Running is Like Childbirth

32 Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner August 13, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Lucas is absolutely adorable! So happy to hear you’re doing well! That lunch looks fabulous! Congratulations again!
Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner recently posted..Favorite Meals Of The Day

33 Natalie @ Free Range Human August 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm

So sorry to hear about Jay’s grandma.

That picture of the three of you is so beautiful. It really touched me today!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Have You Ever?

34 Lauren August 13, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Great to hear from you! I always check for your updates. The picture of the three guys melts my heart! Props to you for hosting people after having a baby…I don’t even want to host people if there’s a tv show on I really want to watch haha
Lauren recently posted..it ain’t easy being cheesy

35 Shel@PeachyPalate August 13, 2013 at 3:14 pm

At least you got a whole lot of visitors out of the way in one fell swoop! Well done on getting to post at all. I find it hard enough with out a baby!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..With a side of wedges!

36 Tara@PNWRunner August 13, 2013 at 5:23 pm

The pic of the boys is precious! I am sure parenting is crazy tough, but it looks like your family is doing a great job! That is awesome that you’re already getting out with Lucas.
Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..In need

37 Leigha @ Minougirl August 13, 2013 at 6:14 pm

So happy everything is going well! Prayers for Jay’s grandmother… at least she made it until Lucas was born!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Avocado Turkey Salad

38 Linz @ Itz Linz August 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm

i saw that picture of your boys on IG – itz so freakin’ adorable!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..birthday cake all day

39 Shari August 13, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Sending many good thoughts to Jay’s family, and of course to you. Enjoy every moment with your sweet family!
Shari recently posted..On My Mind.

40 Jamie @ fitfortherun August 13, 2013 at 8:33 pm

glad to hear you are doing well and I’m also glad to see Cody warming up to Lucas! That is too funny :)
Jamie @ fitfortherun recently posted..Our Trip to Carmel

41 Ellie@Fit for the soul August 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm

hang in there Courtney! it’s pretty challenging when the baby turns into a different baby depending on the time of day, but they get better at night once they adjust :) and even then, there’s always something new that they transition to so remember that guessing around becomes a regular thing! Lately I’m constantly guessing with my lil Selah.
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..August Favorites and Inspirations

42 Marie August 13, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about Jay’s grandmother! Sending thoughts and prayers out to all of you today! I LOVE that candid pic of you holding Lucas and Jay looking over your shoulder! ;) Love the name you guys picked out, BTW! You look gorgeous, Courtney!

43 Laura August 14, 2013 at 6:54 am

Girl, don’t EVER feel like you have to defend the fact that you LOVE being a mommy, but it is freaking HARD!!! :) You remind me so much of myself… trying to continue life on as normal (i.e. hostin a cookout with a newborn), but I quickly learned I put WAAAAY to much on myself and ended up with slight PPD… not to mention my baby had a “witching hour” (or whole evening) which turned out to be colic to due reflux. It was SO hard and I remember thinking sometimes that I would never feel normal again (not to mention nursing and the wacky hormones from that!). Anyway, my son is now 14 months and I can now finally see myself having another one. Like you said, parenting is SO challenging, tough, and indescribable (until you actually become one), but it is so rewarding and fulfilling. And the wonderful news is it only gets better and easier(in my opinion) as they grow!!

Also, SO sorry to hear about your hubbys grandmother, praying for your family for peace during this time.

44 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 14, 2013 at 8:14 am

I am so sorry to hear about Jay’s grandmother. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I love the picture of Lucas laying down and Cody behind him. So cute! The last picture of your three guys is adorable!! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Happy 3 Year Blogiversary!!!!…

45 Runner Girl Eats August 14, 2013 at 9:52 am

You’ve been busy! How does Lucas already looks so much bigger?! time flies :)
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..WTF?! Wednesday

46 Nicole August 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

You know how I feel about the Code-man….. LOVE!! :) <3

My bro and SIL had twins last November. Their cat, Benji, still hasn't taken much of a liking to the boys yet. He'll be in the same room up to about 3 feet from either one of the boys….but that's about as close as he'll get!

47 Brittany @ Balance and Bananas August 14, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I just have to say that Lucas is absolutely adorable, congrats to you both!! I’m so so sorry to hear about Jay’s grandmother…my prayers are with you all!
Brittany @ Balance and Bananas recently posted..WIAW: I’m back from Cali!!

48 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health August 14, 2013 at 4:09 pm

It’s so great to hear that you and Jay are going at it as a team!! It’s inspiring to see a couple work together so well.

Lucas is just so precious! I’m sure managing the feedings are challenging but it won’t last forever!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..South Lake Tahoe: Sprouts Café + Hiking Bayview Trail

49 Sandra August 14, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Congrats on your baby!!! He is sooo precious. You two are going to make wonderful parents. Treasure these moments because they will fly by.
If I may offer you some new mommy advice, I am a NICU Nurse and it’s not really good to have a newborn around a lot of people or outside the house before they’ve received their first rounds of shots. As you can imagine, there are tons of germs in the air and on people that can get in contact with baby Lucas. Also, as a medical professional, it would be best to have everyone who comes in contact with the baby to get a whopping cough vaccination.
Just my two sense :)
May GOD bless you and your family!

50 Nala August 14, 2013 at 8:13 pm

So happy to hear you are settling into parenting, it must be a very interesting experience. I’m sorry to hear Jay’s grandmother passed on, at least you were there to support him! The pictures are so adorable…..I really love the one with you, Jay and Lucas at the party and of course who couldn’t love the three boys in one picture – to sweet. The salads also look pretty good! Hope you have a great rest of the week!

51 Gracie August 15, 2013 at 10:21 am

Lucas is such a little nugget!! Seeing him in the carrier and next to Cody shows just how tiny and adorable he is!
Gracie recently posted..noteworthy.

52 char eats greens August 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I think I have a tad bit of a MasterChef obsession (home chefs competing to win the MasterChef title), because one contestant on there is named Luca, and I keep reading Lucas’s name as that. So, I apologize, LucaS!! :)
char eats greens recently posted..crossfit: before vs. after pregnancy

53 Sarah @ Sweet Miles August 15, 2013 at 4:36 pm

That is the sweetest picture of your boys! You will always cherish that :) Loving that Lucas’s little hand is on Cody..so precious!
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Easy Open Face Enchiladas

54 Amanda Sechrist August 15, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I had the same exact experience with my second child. 3pm to 10pm were the hardest (for me). She cried and cried. No matter what, it can be a challenge to deal with tears of your sweet, precious baby (exp. if you are up nursing). Make sure to tag team and take a break! I had some luck with The Magic Sleepsuit. She is a year old now and finally sleeps “like a baby” all night.
Amanda Sechrist recently posted..Week in Review- Staying Dry!

55 Sarah @ A Refining Advenure August 18, 2013 at 6:35 am

I so glad to hear things are going well! I can’t believe you had people over so soon…you are a brave woman!
Sarah @ A Refining Advenure recently posted..Stats Wrangling III: Top Posts and Pages