Me Time, Firsts, and a Backyard Date

by Courtney on August 19, 2013

Hey hey, my friends! Happy Monday to you all! Did everyone have a fantastic weekend?

As always, our weekend went by way too fast, but we still managed to have some fun. To be honest, the end of last week was a little bit rough. I’ll blame it partially on lack of sleep, but Lucas was having some tough days/evenings and we’re dealing with what I believe to be some acid reflux. I’d be lying if I didn’t say that the two of us shared some tears together.

Don’t get me wrong, we’re good over here! But you guys know I like to keep it real and, well, there are the occasional rough patches. Comes with the territory though, and I wouldn’t trade it in for anything.

Thankfully, Lucas had a MUCH better weekend, leaving all of us feeling a little more refreshed. On Friday, the little man spent a couple hours with grandma while mom went out for a little afternoon pampering.

Pedicures & strawberry lemonade Coolattas, for the win!

I love Lucas to pieces, and being a mom is incredible, but it felt so, so good to have some me time. It’s amazing what a couple short hours can do for the soul! On Friday evening we also attempted to give Lucas his first bottle and he took it like a champ. I was thrilled!

On Saturday, I spent a few more hours out during the afternoon while Lucas stayed home with Jay so I could do a little grocery shopping and pick up some more diapers (people aren’t kidding – they DO go fast!). For dinner, we actually cooked ourselves a meal…who knew?

I, obviously, was not concerned with how it photographed, but we had some delicious pork tenderloin, oven baked sweet potatoes, and some veggies. Yum!

Shortly after dinner on Saturday, we had a big FIRST over here…Lucas had his very first tubby.

I had no idea if he’d love it or hate it, but he loooooved it. He was so content the entire time, cooing and “ahh-ing,” which had all of us in smiles. Of course, right after we finished and wrapped him up in the towel (actually almost right after taking that photo) he peed and pooped all over. Go figure. Winking smile

I put my little buddy to bed around 9:30pm and right after that, I headed outside to join my man for a backyard date.

Cheers to us! And to enjoying a delicious Sam Adams Porch Rocker beer (seriously…looooove them).

As for Sunday? Well, it didn’t go quite as planned. My in-laws came over in the afternoon for a late lunch (Welcome to Moe’s!)

but before that, Jay realized that our shower was leaking and decided to start tackling it on his own…

Now I will say that my husband is incredibly handy, and he was *so close* to getting this one squared away, but after about five hours of him and my FIL working on it, they still came up slightly short. Luckily, we have a plumber coming over later today, but until then…no showers. So if you see me, proceed with caution…I may still smell like spit up. Winking smile

After a long day of working on that darn shower, Jay finally relaxed with me and Lucas, and the two of us both decided to wind down with an old favorite…

Watermelon sherbet with mini chocolate chips. Love. This. Stuff.

So yeah, that’s pretty much our weekend in a nutshell! What fun stuff were all of you up to?

1 Linda August 19, 2013 at 10:16 am

Never, ever forget me time. It is key to being a good Mom and Wife. Like Oprah says, I can’t give you a drink if my cup isn’t full! I didn’t do that and in hindsight, it wasn’t a wise decision at all.

First time tub is awesome!

However, I wanted to pop in and tell you that this weekend was amazing – my Marine Corps roommate from 30 years ago came to visit. We had such fun, got matching tats and my husband sat with his eyebrows raised as we recounted our wild days.

Glad to see you settling into parenthood. Lucas is a lucky little man!
Linda recently posted..Squat challenge – day one and purple potatoes…..

2 Avery @ YoungAspirations August 19, 2013 at 10:19 am

So glad you got to squeeze some me time in! I’m a firm believer that you can give so much more to others if you have time to rest and restore yourself! There is truly nothing cuter than a wet baby in a hooded towel. Dying!
Avery @ YoungAspirations recently posted..Let’s Get Crafty

3 Lisa August 19, 2013 at 10:25 am

I think it’s so awesome and important you were able to get in some me time. Especially as a new Mom, I think it’s always such a great thing to be able to recharge in that way.
I’m sorry Lucas is having some tough days and nights, hopefully this is just temporary and he’ll be able to improve soon! He’s such a cutie!
Sounds like an overall great weekend:)
Lisa recently posted..Simply Lovely

4 Ashley @ Life and Fitness August 19, 2013 at 10:26 am

Good for you girl to get some “me time”. I am sure you enjoyed every minute of it. My weekend consisted of watching lots of 24. We’re trying to finish the seasons before the new one comes back on!
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Multitasking Is A No

5 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne August 19, 2013 at 10:31 am

Sounds like a great weekend! It’s great you got some “me time” that, I feel that it’s a healthy thing to do. It’s relaxing, so why not do it?? Yay for watermelon sherbet!! :D My weekend consisted of grocery shopping, a few workouts, then I got sick haha.
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Weekend Review

6 Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty August 19, 2013 at 10:32 am

“Me” time is SO important! I’m glad you took some time to get pampered. You deserve it! You get me everytime with that watermelon sherbet and chocolate chips. Num! My weekend was a trip to Atlanta to visit a couple of friends!

7 Maura van As August 19, 2013 at 10:35 am

So glad to hear You and Lucas had a refreshing weekend after a rough couple days; that’s exactly what weekends are for :)
That home-cooked dinner looked like the perfect comfort food too!

8 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 19, 2013 at 10:36 am

Sounds like a pretty good weekend, and I’m sure it was really nice to get some time to pamper yourself a bit. Pedicures are the best!! I’m glad Lucas seems to be feeling better and hopefully his acid reflux will go away soon!

Happy Monday!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..MIMM #7 – Birthday Weekend Recap

9 Danica @ It's Progression August 19, 2013 at 10:38 am

That’s great you got to have a little “me time” – it’s needed! And it’s so awesome that your family lives so close and can just watch Lucas for a while!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..scenes from the weekend

10 Lauren August 19, 2013 at 10:42 am

I am so glad you got to go out for some “me” time! My mom always said she was glad she didn’t move far away from home because you realize how important it is to have family around! They are always there to lend a helping hand :)

11 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 19, 2013 at 10:43 am

So glad you got some time to yourself! I totally get it… Our babes are the best thing ever, but some “me time” is definitely mandatory from time to time! I hope the reflux gets better. Hugs!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Hunter’s First 5K + A Whole Foods Date

12 Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love August 19, 2013 at 10:46 am

ahh that pedicure looks perfect! I’m hoping to get one before I have our baby just to have my dang feet massaged. Those suckers are hurting lately!
Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love recently posted..Baby Toma: 36 Weeks

13 Emily @ The Good Era August 19, 2013 at 10:48 am

What a nice weekend! Glad you got some time to yourself to relax :)

Backyard bonfire dates are my FAVORITE in the summer. I could spend every weekend outside with wine, a fire and my hubby and be happy!

Have a great week!
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Weekend Things

14 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction August 19, 2013 at 10:51 am

Me time is definitely an essential to reboot. Glad you enjoyed it.
Diapers do go fast – we started buying diapers when we had coupons when we were pregnant. We are down to the last 2 big boxes from BJs and he is over a year old :)

For baths – if he is ever congested or stuffed up get vapor bath. Target has it in their brand and it works great. It used to calm Mason right down. It is basically Vicks in a bath soap. A must to have on hand.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..10ish Survival Tips To the Expecting Mom

15 Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength August 19, 2013 at 10:57 am

No one ever said being a mom is easy!!!! I’m sure those weren’t the first or the last tears, but sounds like you’re hanging in there and doing amazing. :)F

Me time is so so so important and I’m glad to see you doing it early on. So many people wait until they’re about to burst. haha

16 Danielle August 19, 2013 at 11:03 am

Sounds like a fun family filled weekend! I’m so happy to hear you were able to get some me time too! That is so important and I’m glad you were able to enjoy it :)

17 Amy @ The Little Honey Bee August 19, 2013 at 11:09 am

Even though I am nowhere close to a mom-to-be I love reading about this! I am glad Lucas is feeling better and you were able to relax too.
Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted..A Little Sunshine to Brighten the Day [MIMM]

18 Jamie @ Sometimes Health Living Blog August 19, 2013 at 11:15 am

I love and appreciate how real you keep it when it comes to motherhood. I hope to be a mom someday and it’s refreshing to read how, while it’s challenging, the reward is more than worth it!

Baby Lucas looks adorable in his bath towel. My heart just melts looking at him, and he’s not my baby, so I’m sure it’s 10 million times for you :-)

I spent my first weekend in Cape Cod ever, and it was amazing. I’m going to move there and open up a Marylous Coffee shop (not really…but I wish).
Jamie @ Sometimes Health Living Blog recently posted..Sand Cakes, Lobster Quesadillas and Beach Running

19 Nicole August 19, 2013 at 11:20 am

Porch Rocker Beer…..that sounds good. :)

Glad you had some solo time and some good relaxing time with the hubs!

This weekend, I used a gift card to go to a spahhhh and have a relaxing massage. I left feeling like jello…..it was soooo gooood.

Have a great start to your week!

20 Christina August 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

I appreciate “me” time so much now! I got a pedicure a few weeks ago for a mommy break. Lucas is absolutely adorable, congratulations :) I hope your shower is fixed soon, I know I never liked feeling sticky from spit up! ;)

21 Leigha @ Minougirl August 19, 2013 at 11:22 am

Me time does wonders for the soul!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Currently

22 Shel@PeachyPalate August 19, 2013 at 11:38 am

Quite the weekend! At least you got some me time to kick it all off! Glad he like the bath!!! So cute in his towel!!!

23 Becky @ TheBexFactor.com August 19, 2013 at 11:56 am

My little guy struggled with reflux on and off for quite some time so I feel your pain. Burp him often and keep him upright as much as possible after eating and don’t be scared to go to the doctor for some meds if it gets really bad.

Enjoy every minute of your ‘me’ time!
Becky @ TheBexFactor.com recently posted..Weekend Recap

24 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 19, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I think me-time is pretty essential to everyone, but I think that would apply double for a new mom! Glad you were able to get away a little. Glad that you had a good weekend though, even without the shower! ;-)
I went camping this weekend, which I love!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..MIMM: Camping Weekend.

25 Caitie @ twentytwofit August 19, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Glad your weekend improved from the end of your week! Looks like a fun (minus the shower!) weekend and I’m sure a little “me” time went a long way :)
Caitie @ twentytwofit recently posted..First Days :)

26 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance August 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Lucas is so adorable! Good for you getting some me time in. Well deserved!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..It’s a Sunshine Day!

27 Andrea @ pencils and pancakes August 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm

You have got me hooked on that watermelon sherbet!
Andrea @ pencils and pancakes recently posted..Make your own sunflower seed butter!

28 Rebecca August 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm

That looks like a weekend full of all awesome things. It’s great you could squeeze in some time for yourself, too! You more than deserve it :)
Rebecca recently posted..Weekend Happenings

29 Emily @ Life on Food August 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Good luck with your shower. Babies take time to adjust to, I am pretty sure it will be an ever changing process until adulthood.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Blueberry Crumb Pie

30 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 19, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I’m a huge fan of me time, and I’m glad to see you enjoying some because I find that, far too often, mothers end up sacrificing too much of their own well-being thinking that it’ll be in the best interest of their little ones, when we can’t take care of others as well as we should be able to if we don’t take care of ourselves first.

Hope your week is off to a great start, Courtney!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... the mayonnaise jar .

31 Ali August 19, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Read about the Wonder Weeks. They are developmental milestones that all babies hit and sometimes they can be rough with clinginess, crying, fussiness, and lack of sleep. They occur around weeks 5, 8, 12, 17 and so on. Reading this information helped my sanity so much!

32 Linz @ Itz Linz August 19, 2013 at 12:41 pm

my family went to a park this weekend and i’m pretty sure the adults had more fun than the kiddos playing kickball! :) :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..never too old

33 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health August 19, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Lucas is so dang cute! How funny that pooped and peed in the towel after his bath.
I’m sure there are tough times with adjusting to lack of sleep but it sounds like you both are doing an amazing job!
That sucks about your shower. Kuddos to Jay for trying to fix it though.
By the way, I think Lucas looks just like him!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Zoom Castle Rock 5K Run + Breakfast at Sunrise Bistro

34 Ashlee@HisnHers August 19, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Sounds like a relaxing weekend! Did you get that borl at the Imperial Maya? I bought one there on our honeymoon last year and it looks just like that!

35 Courtney August 21, 2013 at 9:40 am

Yes I did!!!

36 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes August 19, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Yay for some me time! You deserve it. I’m so glad Lucas enjoyed his tubby too! That will make your life a heck of a lot easier ;-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Weekend highlights and cookie dough cupcakes!

37 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 19, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I bet date time by the fire was exactly what you needed :)
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Wedding Dress Shopping Success?

38 Melissa August 19, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Such yummy eats! Looks very tasty! Glad you had the chance to relax and have some much-deserved pampering!
Melissa recently posted..Shelf Love: New Products Spotted on Shelves!

39 Annette@FitnessPerks August 19, 2013 at 3:56 pm

So glad you got some “me time”!! That is KEY to any good relationship, actually :)

We had a good weekend too–pizza, pool time, nieces/nephews fun time, church, tidying up, DQ blizzard. It was fab!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Got Them!

40 Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries August 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Mmm! Watermelon sherbet with mini chocolate chips! Sounds amazing. P.S. Lucas is the cutest!
Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries recently posted..BBQ Chicken Tasty Bite Thai Lime Rice + Giveaway

41 Sarah @ Sweet Miles August 19, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I would have never paired watermelon sherbert with chocolate chips but it sounds like the PERFECT combo!!! Light and fresh and still some sweet! Love me some Moes! Glad you had a good weekend!! :)
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..10 Things I’ve Learned As a Mrs.

42 Nicole August 19, 2013 at 6:20 pm

The first time I had me time after my son was born I had a massage and it was amazing! It always makes me feel so energized and recharged to have an hour to myself

43 Lindsey August 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Take me time whenever you can get it and never feel as though you have to explain that you still love your baby :) I remember when I went back to work my whole day felt like me time and I would actually forget I was a parent! It was so nice. My baby is 16 months now and yes I love him more than the day he was born but man does it feel good when someone takes him off my hands for a few hours (or an entire weekend!!). I’m flag you are enjoying motherhood. It’s honestly the best thing I’ve ever experienced :)

44 Nicole August 19, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Do you know about Diapers.com? The diapers are the cheapest I’ve seen and they are delivered the next day. And the convenience of never having to run out and buy them is worth it’s weight in gold!

45 Courtney August 21, 2013 at 9:40 am

I have heard about it but never really looked into it…glad to know it’s as good as it seems! Thanks :)

46 Olivia @healthylivy August 19, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Me time is the best! Even if it’s just for a little.

That sherbet looks sooo good. I haven’t had sherbet in forever
Olivia @healthylivy recently posted..Grocery haul

47 Allie August 19, 2013 at 8:47 pm

awww little lucas in his towel is so adorable! My weekend was awesome and I actually was away on an extended vacation with my family. So glad to see you were able to get some “me” time to recharge! :)

48 Eryn @ Blond Minded Brunette August 19, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Glad you guys got a date night and that you got to get out for some me time! I was able to do a quick run to the mall yesterday by myself while the hubby watched our two week old, and it felt amazing! Lol the little things in life right?
Eryn @ Blond Minded Brunette recently posted..Tyrion’s Birth Story Part 2

49 Christy August 20, 2013 at 10:38 am

Try to keep track of what you are eating and see if anything in particular seems to make him more gassy (acid reflux like) than usual. I found Jayson, even now at 12 weeks, is susceptible to certain things that I eat or drink. Caffeine for one will wreak havoc on his little system. A pulled pork sandwich or a hotdog will make the evening unbearable for both of us. I did find that Little Tummy’s Gas Relief Drops are a GOD SEND! They’re all natural and even less than the recommended dose is effective. They are worth their weight in gold.
Christy recently posted..Grins N Giggles

50 char eats greens August 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Glad you got some me time. When Nia was little, it sucked that my me time was spent at school haha. So to go and have to learn, to come home to a baby doesn’t really count in my opinion. We have my SIL living with us right now, so we really need to take advantage of the built-in babysitter for date nights…before I’m back in school soon!
char eats greens recently posted..CSA pickup: week 9 (the best week to date + other groceries)

51 Kristi August 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm

A little Me time is always nice… actually it’s a must for your sanity.
Kristi recently posted..Surviving Anxiety