Lucas: One Month

by Courtney on August 28, 2013

How in the world do I already have a one month old little boy?

Lucas 1 Month

Yesterday, Lucas turned one month and I think I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. I know I’ve said it before, but how in the world does time fly by so fast?!

This first month at home with a newborn has been a whirlwind…

Week 1 – Lucas was easy peasy. He slept a majority of the time and even slept great at night. He would give me 4, and the occasional 5, hour stretches at night, and for the first few nights I even had to wake him up to feed. Me? Well, I was an emotional, hormonal wreck. I’d even go as far as saying that I probably had a mild case of the baby blues. I cried quite a bit that first week – sometimes they were happy tears and overwhelming feelings of joy – but other times they weren’t. Adjusting to life with a newborn isn’t easy, especially for someone who has always taken a little extra time to adjust to changes.

Week 2 – For the first week, I’d often stare down at Lucas and think, “Hey, wake up! I want to seeeee you!” By about halfway through the second week, I’d often stare down at Lucas and think, “Hey, why don’t you go to sleep already?!”  While his evening sleep patterns still remained fine, he began to develop his “witching hour” from about 5-10pm. Nothing seemed to keep him happy, he was constantly squirmy, and just did not seem happy. Me? I started feeling a tiny bit less emotional, but I was still a ball of hormones. Jay went back to work that week so it was my first times alone at home with him, but we did good.

Week 3 – Things remained pretty much the same in terms of Lucas, his witching hour, and his nightly sleep, but I started seeing a little bit more of a personality emerge! Smiles (although I know they aren’t always the “real thing”) began happening, I could see him respond to my voice, and could watch him really fixate on certain objects (black and white stripes, for one!). I also started implementing a bit more of an eat-play-sleep routine, and although the times would vary, it was nice to have somewhat of an outline of a schedule to go by.

Week 4 – I finally started feeling a little bit more like myself, and I think there was even a stretch of a few days without any tears! Lucas continues to show his personality and even started “cooing” and “ahh-ing” quite often which is just adorable. We also kept at our eat-play-sleep routine, but we’re still a little more lax when it comes to nailing down certain times.

IMG_5080IMG_5089

(You can see where I got his monthly onesie stickers HERE)

So now, here we are at one month! I don’t want to sugarcoat it and say it’s been easy, but it has still been amazing. Sure, there have been tough days/nights/moments, but there are always plenty of good moments to make up for those tough ones. One of the biggest challenges I have with Lucas right now is that he is quite the “spit upper(?)” He winds up spitting up during almost every feed and well after them too. He seems to be a “happy spitter” though, which helps; while it’s certainly a mess, it helps to not have him crying and uncomfortable while he’s doing it. So for now, I just always make sure to have extra bibs, burp cloths, and towels around!

Yesterday’s one month checkup also went very well. He’s up to 9lbs 5oz (up 1.1lbs from his two week checkup) and he also took his shot like a champ. Me, however? I started crying before they even gave him the shot. Lord, help me. But after his initial scream, I scooped him right up and he just quietly melted into my arms…thus melting my heart.

It’s so crazy to see just how much he has changed in this short month. Although the majority of folks say how much he looks like Jay (so true!), I feel like lately I may be seeing some pieces of me in him…

What do ya think, maybe? Or just wishful thinking? Winking smile

So even though this month has been a challenge, the love that I have for this little guy is just indescribable. Seriously. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to express just how much I love and adore this little human being. And while there are days I wish I could just stop time, I also look forward to watching him grow and continue to develop into an adorable little boy.

1 Shel@PeachyPalate August 28, 2013 at 8:16 am

Thanks for the open honest update! I’m sure you’ll start to get in to your groove over the next few months…seriously can’t believe a month has gone by already!!!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Bit of an upheaval

2 Leigha @ Minougirl August 28, 2013 at 8:32 am

Where has the time gone?! I can’t believe he’s already a month! So glad that everything is going smooth (for the most part) :)
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..WIAW – A Day at the Market

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 28, 2013 at 8:34 am

I can’t believe it’s been a month either, congrats to your little family! He is too cute in that onesie!

4 BabyToothsUncle August 28, 2013 at 8:35 am

He’s always squirmy!

5 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:51 am

LOL…BabyToothsUncle? I love it. :-D

6 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 28, 2013 at 8:47 am

Awww…one month old!?! How time flies!!! It was great reading your recap, and I’m glad to hear that you’re starting to feel more like yourself!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #11 – Vacation Eats

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 28, 2013 at 8:53 am

What a little cutie!!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..One Word WIAW

8 Elizabeth @ myneonrunningshoes August 28, 2013 at 8:56 am

Happy one month Lucas!!! I definitely see some resemblance!
Elizabeth @ myneonrunningshoes recently posted..Digging through the pantry.

9 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian August 28, 2013 at 9:04 am

Wow – time is flying!! He’s so adorable!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Marine Corps Marathon Training: Weeks 8 and 9

10 Heather @fitncookies August 28, 2013 at 9:05 am

He looks like a stud in those pictures! Such a handsome guy :) I think that you are rocking being a mom if that’s all that happened in the first month! I’m sure crying will get less and less and his joyful moments will become even more!! :)
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..The Honeymoon- Ship Activities

11 Olivia @healthylivy August 28, 2013 at 9:08 am

He’s tooooo cute! Time really does fly by
Olivia @healthylivy recently posted..IIFYM

12 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance August 28, 2013 at 9:08 am

One month already! Oh man! Time does fly. He is such a little cutie though!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Liebster Award!

13 Emily @ The Good Era August 28, 2013 at 9:09 am

Wow, that month went fast! So happy to hear all is going well :)
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Shrimpies

14 Colleen August 28, 2013 at 9:17 am

oh wow, you’re doing great! lucas is adorable! i have a 3 month old and i remember being a wreck for the 1st two months. i’m still a wreck some days but it gets better.

15 Kim August 28, 2013 at 9:18 am

Thank you for an honest update Courtney…seriously it’s so refreshing to hear. I have a newborn and I get discouraged at times when I hear people only talk about the positives and not the struggles because I am struggling. I love it but its a huge adjustment. Do you plan on doing a post about breastfeeding? I would love to hear about your experience…again I’m struggling in that area as well! Lucas is such a cutie!

16 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:51 am

I haven’t really decided on whether I’ll do a post about it, but I’m not really sure I’d have much to post about. I’ve been very lucky with the fact that everything has gone very smoothly for us from the beginning, so I don’t have too much to tell. I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling…I’ve spoken with SO many people who are in the same boat! Best of luck to you :)

17 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blo August 28, 2013 at 9:23 am

Awww, I definitely see a bit of you in that handsome little guy!

I love your honesty in these updates, and while I don’t know what it will feel like to be a mother, I imagine I too would have some trouble adjusting. I can see myself crying tears and not even knowing if they are happy or sad!

But it’s obvious that you love it so much and are clearly a natural :-)
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blo recently posted..WIAW: When Melted Chocolate is the Worst Part of your Day

18 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves August 28, 2013 at 9:37 am

What a cutie pie! Happy one month, Lucas! Best wishes to both the baby and parents for many many more to come :)
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..WIAW: If I Played a Sport…

19 Brittany @ Proteinandpumps August 28, 2013 at 9:40 am

Oh he’s so adorable!!! I can definitely see you in him : )
Brittany @ Proteinandpumps recently posted..The Power of 365 Days

20 Alaina August 28, 2013 at 9:56 am

Thanks for posting a one month update! It is so helpful for women going through the post-partum phase to have someone to contend with on their feelings. I for one, think a smile is a smile is a SMILE! :D I can’t wait to learn how both you and Lucas are doing at the 2month mark! Until then, please know you are doing a fantastic job as a Mom! <3

21 Andrea @ The Fit Scoop August 28, 2013 at 10:06 am

Great post – super helpful and timely considering I’m due in 11 weeks! I must say I am scared of the emotional roller coaster that occurs after birth (and so is my husband – ha). Any tips on how to prepare/deal with it or does it just pass with time?
Andrea @ The Fit Scoop recently posted..Strength Workouts: Do you lift heavy or light?

22 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:49 am

Unfortunately, I have no tips lol. Just let the emotions come as they do, and warn your husband ahead of time!

23 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 28, 2013 at 10:14 am

Gahhh this post made me cry! Only because I can totally relate. :) They grow up just so darn fast, don’t they? It really does just get better and better too. People kept telling me that during those first several weeks, and I doubted them, but I promise you, it’s true. And yes, he definitely does resemble you in that baby photo!! I think we could really tell who Hunter looked like (Cody for sure) when he got to be around 10 weeks old.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #95: Switching Things Up

24 Lexi August 28, 2013 at 10:42 am

I love your approach to being a new mom! Sounds like you’re doing an awesome job! I can’t wait to have a little one of my own!

25 Jocelyn August 28, 2013 at 11:00 am

He is so cute! What do you do for play time with him? My little guy is almost the same age and he is just not interested in anything.

26 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:48 am

I’ll either put him on his play yard, or I’ll “read” (show) him a couple of black and white books that we have, or I’ll just lay him in my lap and talk with him. :)

27 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 28, 2013 at 11:02 am

I can’t believe he’s a month old already! He’s seriously such a cutie…and I do see a resemblance in the photo! You’re doing an amazing job mama!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: A New Meaning to ‘Fried Egg’.

28 Lauren August 28, 2013 at 11:05 am

You’re doing great! For someone who hates change (like me), this is going to be a hard time but you seem to be adjusting pretty well! I know my mom told me once before one of us got sick while we were feeding (from a bottle – I’m not sure if you’re doing the bottle) but she found out she need to tilt the bottle higher so there was no air bubbles coming through the nipple. I don’t know if this will help but I figured I’d add it! :D

29 Michelle Kim August 28, 2013 at 11:32 am

Whether he looks like you or Jay, he will be a good lookin’ boy :)
And definitely will be immensely blessed by all the love and support around him!

30 Angie @ Pint of Goals August 28, 2013 at 11:40 am

I also follow the eat-play-sleep routine with my daughter, and it’s been a good schedule. One thing that helped me immensely was reading The 90 Minute Sleep Plan; basically after approximately 90 minutes (or less) of awake time during the day, your baby should go down for a nap. This has helped my husband and me avoid the fussiness at night. Going into this, I had no idea babies slept so much and also needed to be helped to sleep – I am surprised this was never covered in the baby classes I took while pregnant!
Lucas is such a cutie – love the tie stickers :)

31 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 28, 2013 at 11:54 am

Aww he’s precious, Courtney! :) :)

Addie is a major spitter-upper, too. She’s also a happy spitter, but the laundry can drive me crazy!! We did reflux meds for a little while. They helped initially but then things seemed to go back to “normal,” with her spitting up all of the time. I’m hoping that it improves soon!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..How to stay sane while traveling with an infant.

32 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:46 am

I hope so, too…for both of our sakes! ;)

33 Lynn August 28, 2013 at 11:58 am

Thank you for sharing this update! It was sounding like things were all super honky-dory for you with the baby, which would’ve been the total opposite from my experience for the past few months. I ADORE my little man but this mommy business is friggin hard! I’ve had countless instances of crying and it helps to know that I’m not the only one. I think as mothers, we need to share our experiences, even the ugly ones, to get through this wonderful, yet challenging, time in our lives. I feel like all too often women feel the need to put on a happy face and act like everything is always dandy, when really we don’t need to do that. It’s a learning process, it’s an adjustment, and sharing is the best way to get by!

And for the record, I do think there’s a resemblance between you and your cutie!!

34 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:42 am

You’re right…it IS so nice to hear that we aren’t alone! :)

35 Cassie @RedLetterDaye August 28, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Awwww! Thanks for your honesty in this. It’s interesting to see what to expect if I choose to have a little one someday.
Cassie @RedLetterDaye recently posted..Make Your Own Workouts

36 Lauri August 28, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Sounds like my first month with my son (who just headed off to Kindergarten this week, sniff sniff!) – I cried a LOT and no one had wanred me for that!!! Glad you are settling in and getting into a routine – and he is so adorable!!!

37 Jess@themessyjessy August 28, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I’m sorry you had a bit of the blues :( Seems like you are doing better now, though, and that’s all that matters. Your little boy is adorable, I love that onesie!
Jess@themessyjessy recently posted..The uncertainty

38 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen August 28, 2013 at 9:43 pm

So adorable!!!!! :)
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Cookbook Challenge: Thyme Roasted Beets and a Recipe!

39 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 28, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Jackson looked JUST like his dad right from the start….. but the older he gets, the more he starts to resemble me! Makes this mama proud!
I once heard a joke that all babies come out looking like their dad’s just to ease their minds. HA! Which is AWFUL because WEEEEE, the moms, are the ones that carry them for 9 months AND ENDURE LABOR! They should look like US as a reward!!!!!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Shifting.

40 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:39 am

Hahaha, I totally agree!! ;)

41 Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper August 29, 2013 at 2:05 am

He’s absolutely adorable! So glad his check up went OK!
Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper recently posted..Grilled Green Beans with Feta

42 Kristi August 29, 2013 at 5:58 am

Such a cutie. I love the pics. He looks so tiny compared to that stuffed animal.
Kristi recently posted..Waffles, headaches, and chocolate covered strawberries

43 Karen August 29, 2013 at 9:00 am

He is just so stinkin’ cute!!
Karen recently posted..Thankful Thursday – Three Things

44 Kelly August 29, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Can’t believe the little guy is a month old!! He is too cute!
Kelly recently posted..This is Absolutely Not a Real Post

45 Lauren August 29, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Those first few weeks are so tough as everyone tries to adjust, but I can tell you 10 months down the road you won’t even remember sleepless nights or tears you shed. My little guy just turned 10 months old today and although he was a horrible sleeper for the first 7 months (haha lucky us!), I really can’t remember the feeling of exhaustion. Those memories fade and only the good ones are left. Also we had a happy spitter and I used to freak out because he would spit up SO many times a day and it always looked like so much. Our pediatrician told me it always looks like much more than it really is and they will eventually grow out of it.
She was right! It took a while, but now I don’t even have a burp cloth nearby when I’m nursing because I know we’re in the clear. You are doing great mama!

46 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:38 am

Thank you so much! And thank you for giving me hope that I won’t have to be covered in burp cloths and blankets forever ;)

47 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 30, 2013 at 6:32 am

Can’t handle the cuteness! Can’t believe it has already been a month!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..July 2013 Kona Kase

48 Sarah @ A Refining Adventure September 5, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I can’t believe it’s already been a month. He is so adorable and you are a precious mommy. I’ve no doubt things will keep getting better…with a few rough spots along the way, I’m sure. :-) Thanks for sharing your precious boy with us!
Sarah @ A Refining Adventure recently posted..Don’t Be Worried

49 Lauren September 26, 2013 at 4:17 pm

He is so sweet. Congrats on your baby boy!
Lauren recently posted..Our Birth Story