My Favorite Sauce

by Courtney on August 28, 2013

Nothin’ like a bowl of pasta with some fresh, homemade sauce for dinner!

I spent the afternoon with my mom yesterday making homemade sauce and meatballs, so, of course, we had to incorporate it into last night’s dinner. It had been a while since I last made sauce, so it’ll be great to have some more stocked in the freezer again.

Jay had a softball game last night but I opted to stay home to attempt to get Lucas to bed at a good time and with a good routine (feed, bath, story, bed – and it went great!). Once little man was asleep, I spent some quiet time lounging on the couch with my other little guy…

Poor Codeman. I feel like I’ve been neglecting him a bit lately, and although Jay and I try really hard not to, sometimes Lucas just demands more of our attention. So when there is some quiet time, I try extra hard to give Cody a little extra lovin. Winking smile

The evening also included a little favorite snack of mine…

Old photo, but same treat was had. Still lovin’ me some watermelon Italian ice (when I don’t have watermelon sherbet on hand) and am now fresh out again after last night’s fix. Man. It’s just soooo good.

In other news…Lucas turned a big one month old yesterday!

And the Baby Tooth page was updated this morning with all the details. Smile

1 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves August 28, 2013 at 9:39 am

Mmm that sauce looks delicious! There really is nothing like homemade pasta sauce. Glad to hear that your evening went well :) I love Luigi’s Italian ice too!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..WIAW: If I Played a Sport…

2 Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty August 28, 2013 at 9:42 am

I love the idea of getting together with my mom and making a huge batch of marinara sauce to split up and take home! It makes me think of the coziness of Fall. I think I am ready for that!]
Happy 1 month to Lucas!!
Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty recently posted..My Weekend: Birthday Celebrations and Jimmy Buffett

3 Lisa August 28, 2013 at 9:43 am

I’m one of those people that likes to just eat the pasta sauce by itself, so I’m always a fan of tomato sauce recipes! I’ll definitely need to try yours out.
Happy one month to Lucas. So dang cute!
Lisa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Favorite Meals

4 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 28, 2013 at 9:48 am

Homemade sauce is definitely the best…waaay better than from a jar! I like to try to make my own every once in a while, then freeze it, so I always have it on hand.
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #11 – Vacation Eats

5 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 28, 2013 at 10:04 am

Sauce is always nice to have in the freezer for those “I don’t feel like cooking” days! So glad to hear the routine went well. :) Can’t believe he’s already one month old!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #95: Switching Things Up

6 Sarah Smith August 28, 2013 at 10:17 am

That sauce looks amazing! I’ve been looking to stock up our freezer with some easy meals and things to defrost (I’m starting a new job AND a Master’s program in Elementary Education on the same day next week!!) so I might just have to make a big batch of this this weekend!! Thanks!

7 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health August 28, 2013 at 10:18 am

Nothing says comfort like a big bowl of pasta with homemade sauce!
I can imagine its hard to give attention to Cody while having a newborn but I’m sure he’s okay. Cats don’t seem to be as needy as dogs. Besides, before long Lucas will be all over him. :)
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..North Lake Tahoe: Sand Harbor, Secret Beach + SUP at Kings Beach

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 28, 2013 at 10:27 am

That’s smart to make your own and freeze it, I wish I had more freezer space for something like that!

9 Lauren August 28, 2013 at 10:50 am

Luigi’s Italian Ice is such a classic. I’m pretty sure it takes EVERYONE back to the days they were younger. And homemade sauce is the BEST especially when your whole house smells like garlic afterwards :D

10 Leigha @ Minougirl August 28, 2013 at 10:53 am

Oooh.. now I’m craving pasta for dinner!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..WIAW – A Day at the Market

11 Gracie August 28, 2013 at 10:56 am

I feel like homemade sauce is one of those things that everyone has a favorite family recipe for…I know mine does! But I’m sure yours is just as good ;) haha
Gracie recently posted..baked plantain chips.

12 Michelle Kim August 28, 2013 at 11:34 am

Yum! Homemade sauce and meatballs? Sounds delicious!!
Hehe, happy one month (dang, didn’t realize it has already been a month!) to Lucas!
Michelle Kim recently posted..I’m 25 and I Still Get Pimples

13 Annette@FitnessPerks August 28, 2013 at 11:35 am

That is so fun that you make homemade sauce with your mom!!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Pregnant Fitness Instructor Eats

14 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 28, 2013 at 11:50 am

I love the idea of making and freezing a bunch of sauce! I rely on jarred sauces way too often when I don’t have time to make my own. Actually making spaghetti and meat sauce tonight :-D
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: A New Meaning to ‘Fried Egg’.

15 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! August 28, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I never think to make a ton of sauce and freeze it! No idea why… I need to get on that wagon for sure!
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..Easy Peasy Baked Lemon Shrimp

16 Laura @losingrace August 28, 2013 at 12:02 pm

My mom makes home made sauce/meatballs and freezes it, as well as home made soups and freezes them- so easy and convenient and yummy! Happy 1 month to Lucas!
Laura @losingrace recently posted..Wineglass Training Week 5 (with a side of RICE).

17 Cassie @RedLetterDaye August 28, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Ohhh I think I will be adding that sauce and meatball subs to the dinner list this week!
Cassie @RedLetterDaye recently posted..Make Your Own Workouts

18 Rebecca August 28, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Lucas is looking adorable as usual! You and your mom remind me exactly of my family! We also make most of our sauce ahead and freeze it. Lasagna is so much easier to make when we’ve got the homemade sauce already taken care of!
Rebecca recently posted..WIAW #3: Here and There

19 Natalie @ Free Range Human August 28, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Happy 1 month, Mr. Lucas! I love spaghetti and meatballs, and I’m always looking for a good recipe. I’ll have to check that out!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Women In The Backcountry

20 Ashley @ Life and Fitness August 28, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I love when my relatives give me lots of sauce to freeze since I don’t make my own. Homemade sauce is always 100% tastier than store bought.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Healthy Sweet And Sour Chicken

21 Ashlee@HisnHers August 28, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Have you ever posted on how to make your mom’s sauce? It always looks SO good and thick. Id love to see the process!

22 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun August 28, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I cannot believe he is already 1 month old!! I would love the recipe to that pasta sauce – it looks so delicious! Have you ever posted it?
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..I Am Funny Shirts Giveaway

23 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:42 am

No, but only because we don’t really have a recipe, haha. In the link in this post I do include what ingredients we use though!

24 Shel@PeachyPalate August 28, 2013 at 3:00 pm

That is one mighty amount of sauce! I bet it would make for an amazing soup base too!

25 Danica @ It's Progression August 28, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I’ve never made my own homemade sauce before honestly – I’m sure it tastes better. Does it save money too?
p.s. Lucas is just too cute!!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Happy Birthday, Jesse!

26 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:41 am

I would imagine so, but I really have no idea, haha. Either way, it tastes WAY better, IMO! :)

27 Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl August 28, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Nothing like homemade sauce!!! Yummyyyyy. Happy Birthday to your little man!!
Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl recently posted..WIAW #4 !!

28 Maria@TheBrooklynFig August 28, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Making homemade Italian meals with my mom is one of my favorite things to do! Such great bonding :) Plus, nothing beats homemade pasta sauce.
Maria@TheBrooklynFig recently posted..Southwestern Chicken Burgers and Sweet Potato Fries

29 sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com August 28, 2013 at 5:35 pm

When Ryan makes his homemade sauce-an at least 8 hour process-we always make triple the amount and freeze and/or can a lot of it. It is so much better (and cheaper) than store bought sauce! Lucas keeps on getting cuter and cuter!
sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..Ten Things Tuesday

30 Ellie@Fit for the soul August 28, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Pasta sauce is one of the most convenient things to make and freeze, so I made sure to stock up on that before labor and even now whenever I have time! :D
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..First Family Outing

31 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blo August 28, 2013 at 7:11 pm

mmmm I could use a new recipe for homemade sauce. The BF is very picky about his Italian, so I’m always on the hunt for things to wow him ;-).

Happy 1 month to Lucas!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blo recently posted..WIAW: When Melted Chocolate is the Worst Part of your Day

32 Olivia @healthylivy August 28, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Me and my mom always make a big pot of spaghetti sauce. I love having it in the freezer for a quick meal!
Olivia @healthylivy recently posted..WIAW #2

33 Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt August 29, 2013 at 12:05 am

LOVE Luigi’s Italian Ices! Watermelon is my fave :)
Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt recently posted..Back to It!

34 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples August 29, 2013 at 7:47 am

I can’t believe it’s been one month already! Time really flies!! :)
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..I Passed My NASM Personal Trainer Exam!

35 Jenny August 29, 2013 at 10:32 am

Aww! Happy one month to Lucas! :) That sauce looks amazing?! Is it a family secret recipe?
Jenny recently posted..What I’m Loving Wednesday {Family Road Trips to the Baltimore Aquarium!}

36 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:39 am

Haha, not a secret, but not a real recipe either lol. We just sort of throw everything together…I keep saying I actually need to write stuff down when I make it but I always forget :)

37 Michelle @ Peanut Butter and Running Shoes August 29, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Yum! The sauce looks amazing. Happy 1 month to the little guy!
Michelle @ Peanut Butter and Running Shoes recently posted..Things I’m Loving!

38 Nala September 1, 2013 at 3:17 pm

That sauce looks Uh-Mazing – I need to make some of my own. Really a good idea! Yay for little Lucas on turning a month! He is so adorable and looks like his daddy more each day =)