A Couple Bad Days

So, my intention was to get together a fun little WIAW post for you all yesterday, but those plans got wiped away after experiencing a couple pretty bad days. Luckily, it’s not this little guy who’s the culprit (who happens to be loving watching his hands and feet these days)…

It’s me.

Tuesday morning, I woke up with an extremely sore neck and a headache that was starting down at the bottom of my neck. I attributed the sore neck and shoulders to the upper body workout that I did on Monday, so I didn’t think much of it. The headache wasn’t too bad during the morning, so I even took advantage of Lucas’s nap time with 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill.

Pre-workout snack, of course, included two of my egg cups.

The workout went great, and most of the afternoon was going okay, but I noticed my headache was increasing. I had no idea why, since it’s very, very rare that I get them. I thought maybe if I ate some lunch it’d help, so I had some leftover pasta fagioli that we got sent home with from Sarah and Jeff on Sunday.

Headache still continued to get worse, and around 4pm while playing with Lucas on the floor, I suddenly found myself shivering and with an extreme case of the chills. It was so odd, but only lasted for maybe an hour or so. Later that evening though, around 7ish, the chills came back, my shivering was uncontrollable, my whole body ached, and my headache was practically debilitating. I put Lucas to bed and then headed to bed myself shortly after.

A few hours later, I woke up absolutely scorching. Like, body was sweating, face felt like it was on fire. I took my temp, which turned out to be 102.5. My whole body just felt wiped…almost like I was coming down with the flu.

Fast forward to yesterday morning…I still had a wicked headache, but my temp went down to about 100.9. I should also mention that during all of these aches and pains, I was also experiencing extreme breast tenderness and a large lump in one of my breasts. Knowing that all of this could be a sign of something more serious, I called the doctor and made an appointment.

Thankfully, Jay’s mom was available, so she watched Lucas while I went out. And let me just get off on a tangent quick…baby swings are amazing. We didn’t end up getting one because I didn’t think (or hoped) we’d need it. Well, we are now borrowing this from our friends Josh & Erika, and it is fantastic.

He immediately calms down and occasionally falls asleep, too. We all love it.

But anywho…off to the doc I went. I explained all of my symptoms, and after he checked me out, it turns out I have a case of mastitis. UGH. He prescribed me antibiotics to start taking, which will hopefully get this over with soon.

In addition to that, apparently my white blood cell count came back low (I think?), so they’re sending that out to get cultured, and I’ll be heading back on Friday for a follow up. Lucky, lucky me. I was initially really worried about how having the mastitis would effect my breastfeeding, but after discussing it with my doctor, I’m feeling positive that there won’t be any long term issues.

Today, I still have this damn headache, and my neck is beyond stiff and sore, but I’m slowly feeling a bit better and more like myself. Last night, Jay even offered to go and get me some of my favorite orange and vanilla soft serve with rainbow sprinkles and I think that alone helped me feel better. Winking smile

And yes, our ice cream had to be enjoyed by candlelight, since we were lucky enough to experience a nice ol’ power outage. It only lasted for about an hour and a half, but Lucas didn’t seem to mind it one bit.

He was totally mesmerized by those candles. Adorable.

So yes, there we have it. A little recap of what’s been going on over here. Not all fabulous, but could certainly be worse! Now, hopefully, we can just get this mastitis cleared up and get back to normal. Smile

Ugh the second you started describing the symptoms I knew it was mastitis! I had it with my youngest! It was the weirdest thing. My fever lasted for 3 days. Get some sleep and rest up.

My doctor also suggested pumping in between feedings, to help let the milk down. Haha ok I officially feel like a cow typing this out!

Good luck Girlie! Get better soon!

2. melissa a says

I’ve had mastitis once before and it was terrible! Its really scary to have something wrong with that part of your body too since its not an area that usually has an issue! Warm compresses really helped when I had it and of course baggy bras/shirts! Best wishes for feeling better soon! I know how bad it feels!

3. Stacey M. says

OMG … I’m so sorry to hear this Courtney! While I don’t have children of my own yet, I have heard of this. So glad to hear you’re doing better. Hopefully you’ll be back to your old self in no time!

4. Kristee B says

Mastitis is so painful, good thing you got into the Dr! My advice is to take a good probiotic during the course of your antibiotic to keep your stomach bacteria in balance!

Awe I hope you feel better soon! I have been sick all week (same head ache, body ache and fever) but mine is actually the flu. Lucas is adorable, glad things are going well with him and fingers crossed those antibiotics have you feeling closer to normal soon!
    Laura @losingrace recently posted..This.Just.Happened.

6. Katie Mac says

White count was probably high (not low) as it rises with any type of infection. Good luck mastitis is the worst! I had that and multiple clogged ducts. What always worked for me was to have my son’s mouth facing upward toward the clog (if that makes sense). A lactation consultant told me that and it was the only thing that ever worked. Pumping never worked for me.

7. Lauren says

So sorry to hear you have been under the weather with this :( I’d never even heard of it before!! Praying for a quick recovery.

8. Jenna says

I’m so sorry to hear you have mastitis. I have a 5 mo old and I had it twice in the same breast. It was miserable!! Like another poster said, pumping didn’t help mine. But frequent massage did. Unfortunately, after having it twice my supply drastically suffered and I had to stop breastfeeding. There is a supplement you can take to help prevent it. It’s called lecithin. I wish I had known before I got it a second time. I hope you feel better soon!!

9. MCW says

I had that and it was terrible. My lactation consultant had me pumping around the clock along with continuing to to breastfeed. Rest and staying hydrated are key for you. I was basically in bed for a week. My milk supply totally went down to next to nothing because my body was trying to fight the mastitis. Watch out for that.

10. Megan Evans says

I’m so sorry! Mastitis is the worst! When I was nursing and felt one coming on, I always took extra Vitamin C, made sure I wasn’t wearing a constricting bra, nursed a lot, and put a couple frozen cabbage leaves on the infected breast (I know, weird, but it helped sooo much! Just don’t use this tip if you have milk supply issues). Plus, I would get mastitis more often if I was not getting enough rest or doing too much physically. I hope you get better quickly!

11. Barbara says

Argh. I felt your pain. I knew it as I read your blog! My youngest son was born on December 6 (many moons ago, he’s a teenager now), and I remember going to the doctor on Christmas eve with the same symptoms. Luckily the antibiotics kicked in pretty quick, so hopefully you are feeling better already!

12. Rachel S. says

I hope you feel better soon.

I can’t wait to see his little face when you show him Christmas lights, when mine where his age they could stare at them for a long time.

When you started to describe your symptoms, I immediately thought of mastitis. I’m glad the medicine will help and won’t affect your milk. Sounds awful though! Being sick and caring for a newborn is my worst nightmare.
    Also, I totally agree about the amazingness of the swing. My daughter had been sleeping in her swing exclusively up until yesterday when I was forced to use the crib…and she slept great.

Oh goodness, I’m sorry to hear about the sudden sickness. I’ve never even heard of mastitis but it doesn’t sound to pleasant. Sending some healing vibes your way! Feel better soon!

15. Katie says

You poor thing. I had mastitis when my daughter was 3 weeks old and it was awful. The best thing is to nurse and pump as often as you can, although when you have such a high fever it HURTS to be touched. We got through it and weaned after her first birthday with no other cases of mastitis, thankfully! Wishing you a speedy recovery and I hope you can get some rest.

16. Katie says

Oh I hope you feel better soon! I got mastitis this year actually on Mother’s day weekend! Lovely timing right?! 😉 My little guy was right around the 6 week mark…I know how awful it is and I hope you won’t have to deal with it anymore. Thank gosh for having help! I was concerned about breast feeding too, but I just kept pumping and have him feed very often. Plus Tons of water!!!!! Take care 😀

I’m sorry about the bad few days! I’m glad it isn’t anything too serious, though, and you’re still able to breastfeed! Thank God for antibiotics, baby swings, and husbands who bring home frozen treats! 😉

18. Karen says

Ugh, so sorry to hear about your rough couple of days. :(. I used to get clogged ducts a lot. As soon as I felt any lumps I would massage it toward the nipple, while my sons were feeding. It hurts but I never ended up with mastitis, which sounds awful. I did start to feel symptoms once or twice but the hard massage while feeding always ended up taking care of the problem. Good luck and give that handsome guy some extra cuddles!

19. Sarah says

I had the same thing with my first-born. I NEVER get fevers, and I got a high fever and a hot, hard lump in my breast. Not fun! Hope you feel better! Lucas is a beauty!

20. Amanda L says

You’re lucky your power was only out for an hour and a half! Ours has been out since 7 last night and they said the most optimistic estimation of when it could be back is 11:30 tonight. And that’s if we’re lucky!

• Amanda L says

Also, I’m so sorry to hear about all your troubles! That is no fun, especially with a brand new baby to attend to on top of it all!!

21. Courtney says

Oh goodness I completely understand! I just finished breastfeeding my daughter after over a year and had mastitis multiple times. I strongly suggest you take a Lecithin supplement. Once I started taking 2-3 of those a day I never had another case. Also, lots of hot showers, extra nursing and pumping to unclog those ducts! Good luck and I feel for ya!

Yikes! Hope you get better, soon! At first, the symptoms sounded like what some women go through with a heart attack!!! Good to see that you have a great support around you and people to take care of you :)

23. Regan says

Feel better!!… P.s. since I know you love all things pumpkin……..please get a bag of pumpkin spice m&ms new this season…..I think you will love!!

24. Nala says

Aww, poor you! I hope you are feeling much better and glad to hear the little guy was doing just fine. Your symptoms sound terrible but I’m glad to hear your are doing fine now and that was so sweet of Jay to get ice-cream! That always helps =D