A Couple Bad Days

by Courtney on September 12, 2013

So, my intention was to get together a fun little WIAW post for you all yesterday, but those plans got wiped away after experiencing a couple pretty bad days. Luckily, it’s not this little guy who’s the culprit (who happens to be loving watching his hands and feet these days)…

It’s me.

Tuesday morning, I woke up with an extremely sore neck and a headache that was starting down at the bottom of my neck. I attributed the sore neck and shoulders to the upper body workout that I did on Monday, so I didn’t think much of it. The headache wasn’t too bad during the morning, so I even took advantage of Lucas’s nap time with 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill.

Pre-workout snack, of course, included two of my egg cups.

The workout went great, and most of the afternoon was going okay, but I noticed my headache was increasing. I had no idea why, since it’s very, very rare that I get them. I thought maybe if I ate some lunch it’d help, so I had some leftover pasta fagioli that we got sent home with from Sarah and Jeff on Sunday.

Headache still continued to get worse, and around 4pm while playing with Lucas on the floor, I suddenly found myself shivering and with an extreme case of the chills. It was so odd, but only lasted for maybe an hour or so. Later that evening though, around 7ish, the chills came back, my shivering was uncontrollable, my whole body ached, and my headache was practically debilitating. I put Lucas to bed and then headed to bed myself shortly after.

A few hours later, I woke up absolutely scorching. Like, body was sweating, face felt like it was on fire. I took my temp, which turned out to be 102.5. My whole body just felt wiped…almost like I was coming down with the flu.

Fast forward to yesterday morning…I still had a wicked headache, but my temp went down to about 100.9. I should also mention that during all of these aches and pains, I was also experiencing extreme breast tenderness and a large lump in one of my breasts. Knowing that all of this could be a sign of something more serious, I called the doctor and made an appointment.

Thankfully, Jay’s mom was available, so she watched Lucas while I went out. And let me just get off on a tangent quick…baby swings are amazing. We didn’t end up getting one because I didn’t think (or hoped) we’d need it. Well, we are now borrowing this from our friends Josh & Erika, and it is fantastic.

He immediately calms down and occasionally falls asleep, too. We all love it.

But anywho…off to the doc I went. I explained all of my symptoms, and after he checked me out, it turns out I have a case of mastitis. UGH. He prescribed me antibiotics to start taking, which will hopefully get this over with soon.

In addition to that, apparently my white blood cell count came back low (I think?), so they’re sending that out to get cultured, and I’ll be heading back on Friday for a follow up. Lucky, lucky me. I was initially really worried about how having the mastitis would effect my breastfeeding, but after discussing it with my doctor, I’m feeling positive that there won’t be any long term issues.

Today, I still have this damn headache, and my neck is beyond stiff and sore, but I’m slowly feeling a bit better and more like myself. Last night, Jay even offered to go and get me some of my favorite orange and vanilla soft serve with rainbow sprinkles and I think that alone helped me feel better. Winking smile

And yes, our ice cream had to be enjoyed by candlelight, since we were lucky enough to experience a nice ol’ power outage. It only lasted for about an hour and a half, but Lucas didn’t seem to mind it one bit.

He was totally mesmerized by those candles. Adorable.

So yes, there we have it. A little recap of what’s been going on over here. Not all fabulous, but could certainly be worse! Now, hopefully, we can just get this mastitis cleared up and get back to normal. Smile

1 Alana September 12, 2013 at 8:04 am

Feel better, honey!!

2 Linz @ Itz Linz September 12, 2013 at 8:04 am

yikes that sounds really scary, courtney! here’s to a speedy recovery! xoxo
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Pin It Party

3 Renee September 12, 2013 at 8:08 am

Ugh the second you started describing the symptoms I knew it was mastitis! I had it with my youngest! It was the weirdest thing. My fever lasted for 3 days. Get some sleep and rest up.

My doctor also suggested pumping in between feedings, to help let the milk down. Haha ok I officially feel like a cow typing this out!

Good luck Girlie! Get better soon!

4 melissa a September 12, 2013 at 8:11 am

I’ve had mastitis once before and it was terrible! Its really scary to have something wrong with that part of your body too since its not an area that usually has an issue! Warm compresses really helped when I had it and of course baggy bras/shirts! Best wishes for feeling better soon! I know how bad it feels!

5 Shari September 12, 2013 at 8:14 am

I hope you feel better soon!!
Shari recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Avalon, NJ.

6 Stacey M. September 12, 2013 at 8:14 am

OMG … I’m so sorry to hear this Courtney! While I don’t have children of my own yet, I have heard of this. So glad to hear you’re doing better. Hopefully you’ll be back to your old self in no time!

7 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 12, 2013 at 8:24 am

Yikes…that’s crazy and sounds kind of scary! Hope you feel better soon!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Drool Worthy Pins #2

8 Kristee B September 12, 2013 at 8:28 am

Mastitis is so painful, good thing you got into the Dr! My advice is to take a good probiotic during the course of your antibiotic to keep your stomach bacteria in balance!

9 Susan September 12, 2013 at 8:31 am

Ugh-mastitis is the worst. You really do feel like you have the flu! Feel better soon!

10 Laura @losingrace September 12, 2013 at 8:35 am

Awe I hope you feel better soon! I have been sick all week (same head ache, body ache and fever) but mine is actually the flu. Lucas is adorable, glad things are going well with him and fingers crossed those antibiotics have you feeling closer to normal soon!
Laura @losingrace recently posted..This.Just.Happened.

11 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen September 12, 2013 at 8:37 am

OMG! I am so sorry to hear that you were so sick!!! Glad to hear that you figured out what was going on and that you are doing better :)
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Time for Another Pin It Party

12 Katie Mac September 12, 2013 at 8:37 am

White count was probably high (not low) as it rises with any type of infection. Good luck mastitis is the worst! I had that and multiple clogged ducts. What always worked for me was to have my son’s mouth facing upward toward the clog (if that makes sense). A lactation consultant told me that and it was the only thing that ever worked. Pumping never worked for me.

13 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance September 12, 2013 at 8:39 am

I’m so sorry to hear that you haven’t been feeling well! It totally stinks to be down in the dumps so I’m glad you are starting to feel better. Good thing you went to the doctor!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Seven Day Detox: Day 3

14 Parita @ myinnershakti September 12, 2013 at 8:44 am

I hope all is ok, Courtney. Thinking of you! Get some rest and don’t be hard on yourself – you’re doing a great job!

15 Lauren September 12, 2013 at 8:44 am

So sorry to hear you have been under the weather with this :( I’d never even heard of it before!! Praying for a quick recovery.

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 12, 2013 at 8:49 am

That doesn’t sound fun at all! Feel better soon!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Hump Day

17 Ashley @ Life and Fitness September 12, 2013 at 8:52 am

Ouch! That sounds like no fun. Hope you start feeling better soon!
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Berry Banana Mini Muffins

18 Jenna September 12, 2013 at 8:53 am

Courtney,
I’m so sorry to hear you have mastitis. I have a 5 mo old and I had it twice in the same breast. It was miserable!! Like another poster said, pumping didn’t help mine. But frequent massage did. Unfortunately, after having it twice my supply drastically suffered and I had to stop breastfeeding. There is a supplement you can take to help prevent it. It’s called lecithin. I wish I had known before I got it a second time. I hope you feel better soon!!

19 chelcie @ chelcie's food files September 12, 2013 at 8:55 am

I’m so sorry to hear about that! i hope you feel better soon!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Enchilada Bake

20 MCW September 12, 2013 at 8:55 am

I had that and it was terrible. My lactation consultant had me pumping around the clock along with continuing to to breastfeed. Rest and staying hydrated are key for you. I was basically in bed for a week. My milk supply totally went down to next to nothing because my body was trying to fight the mastitis. Watch out for that.

21 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun September 12, 2013 at 9:02 am

Glad you figured out what it was! Hope you feel better soon!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..110% Goal Marathon Pace Mile Repeats

22 Nicole @ Curly Mommy September 12, 2013 at 9:04 am

Been there!! It sucks so incredibly bad but like you said, it could be worse. I was always thankful that I was the one who was sick and not my babay. Take it easy and eat lots of cookies and you’ll feel better in no time! :)
Nicole @ Curly Mommy recently posted..Hey, remember me?

23 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 12, 2013 at 9:06 am

Awww Courtney! I am SO sorry! :( I never experienced that, but it sounds miserable!! I hope you’re feeling better ASAP! Hugs!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..My 29th Birthday (The Sequel).

24 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne September 12, 2013 at 9:15 am

It’s good to hear you’re already starting to feel like yourself! I just got over being sick last week, and it’s just not a good feeling, any cold is bad. Aw, what a great husband you have :)
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Quads, Quads, Quads

25 Megan Evans September 12, 2013 at 9:18 am

I’m so sorry! Mastitis is the worst! When I was nursing and felt one coming on, I always took extra Vitamin C, made sure I wasn’t wearing a constricting bra, nursed a lot, and put a couple frozen cabbage leaves on the infected breast (I know, weird, but it helped sooo much! Just don’t use this tip if you have milk supply issues). Plus, I would get mastitis more often if I was not getting enough rest or doing too much physically. I hope you get better quickly!

26 Stephanie September 12, 2013 at 9:21 am

Oh no! So sorry to hear you’ve been sick. Ice cream with sprinkles is an essential for when you’re sick ;-) Hope you feel better ASAP!!!
Stephanie recently posted..5-4-3-2-1 Workout

27 Barbara September 12, 2013 at 9:21 am

Argh. I felt your pain. I knew it as I read your blog! My youngest son was born on December 6 (many moons ago, he’s a teenager now), and I remember going to the doctor on Christmas eve with the same symptoms. Luckily the antibiotics kicked in pretty quick, so hopefully you are feeling better already!

28 Xai September 12, 2013 at 9:23 am

Aww, I’m sorry you’re feeling sick :( Hope you feel better soon!

29 Erin @Sugar Magnolia September 12, 2013 at 9:28 am

Ughh sorry girl! Mastitis is terrible! I had it when my son was 3 weeks old and again when I was weaning off pumping a year later. Hope you get to feeling better!
Erin @Sugar Magnolia recently posted..9/11: Have You Forgotten

30 Rachel S. September 12, 2013 at 9:28 am

I hope you feel better soon.

I can’t wait to see his little face when you show him Christmas lights, when mine where his age they could stare at them for a long time.

31 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 12, 2013 at 9:29 am

Yikes! I’ve never heard of mastitis, but it sounds miserable… Sorry to hear that you had a rough couple of days, Courtney, but I’m glad that you’re starting to feel better – ice cream has that magical healing property :)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #45 .

32 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 12, 2013 at 9:33 am

I hope you feel better! That is scary but I’m glad that as soon as you felt sick you went to the doctor. Take care of yourself :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Smokey Mesquite BBQ Chicken!…

33 Angie @ Pint of Goals September 12, 2013 at 9:34 am

When you started to describe your symptoms, I immediately thought of mastitis. I’m glad the medicine will help and won’t affect your milk. Sounds awful though! Being sick and caring for a newborn is my worst nightmare.
Also, I totally agree about the amazingness of the swing. My daughter had been sleeping in her swing exclusively up until yesterday when I was forced to use the crib…and she slept great.

34 Lisa September 12, 2013 at 9:37 am

Oh goodness, I’m sorry to hear about the sudden sickness. I’ve never even heard of mastitis but it doesn’t sound to pleasant. Sending some healing vibes your way! Feel better soon!

35 Katie September 12, 2013 at 9:40 am

You poor thing. I had mastitis when my daughter was 3 weeks old and it was awful. The best thing is to nurse and pump as often as you can, although when you have such a high fever it HURTS to be touched. We got through it and weaned after her first birthday with no other cases of mastitis, thankfully! Wishing you a speedy recovery and I hope you can get some rest.

36 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction September 12, 2013 at 9:47 am

That is awful, hope you are feeling better soon. I, thankfully, never had to deal with that, but I hear I am a lucky one and that it happens to a lot of ladies.

We loved our swing! It is one of the things I have packed away for the next baby.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Finish the Sentence

37 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes September 12, 2013 at 10:01 am

I hope you feel better Courtney! I had a kidney stone a week after Noah was boorn and had to be on antibiotics and couldn’t breastfeed. I just pumped it all out and resumed when I was off the abx. Not sure if that’s the same with mastitis but maybe that can be helpful to you? Get well!
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Learning to take days off.

38 Julie September 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

Soft serve always makes me feel better, too! I’m so sorry you’re feeling awful. Headaches are the worst in general but pairing them with chills and aches is just downright awful. Feel better, love.
Julie recently posted..We Want What We Can’t Have

39 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 12, 2013 at 10:11 am

oh that does not sound pleasant! I’m glad you’re feeling better though, I can’t imagine being so sick with a newborn to take care of!

40 Steph @ StephSnacks September 12, 2013 at 10:15 am

Awww Courtney I am sorry to hear all of this! I hope you feel better soon :)
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Things I’m Loving Lately

41 Jenny September 12, 2013 at 10:49 am

Feel better soon mama!!
Jenny recently posted..Pumpkin Protein Waffle

42 Heather @fitncookies September 12, 2013 at 10:56 am

feel better! That doesn’t sound like any fun at all, especially when caring for little Lucas! Take it easy today and drink lots of water :)
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Pin It Party #2

43 Katie September 12, 2013 at 11:00 am

Oh I hope you feel better soon! I got mastitis this year actually on Mother’s day weekend! Lovely timing right?! ;) My little guy was right around the 6 week mark…I know how awful it is and I hope you won’t have to deal with it anymore. Thank gosh for having help! I was concerned about breast feeding too, but I just kept pumping and have him feed very often. Plus Tons of water!!!!! Take care :D

44 Lauren September 12, 2013 at 11:08 am

I’m sorry about the bad few days! I’m glad it isn’t anything too serious, though, and you’re still able to breastfeed! Thank God for antibiotics, baby swings, and husbands who bring home frozen treats! ;-)

45 april September 12, 2013 at 11:36 am

oh no, i hope you feel better soon!

46 Karen September 12, 2013 at 11:39 am

Ugh, so sorry to hear about your rough couple of days. :(. I used to get clogged ducts a lot. As soon as I felt any lumps I would massage it toward the nipple, while my sons were feeding. It hurts but I never ended up with mastitis, which sounds awful. I did start to feel symptoms once or twice but the hard massage while feeding always ended up taking care of the problem. Good luck and give that handsome guy some extra cuddles!

47 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections September 12, 2013 at 11:55 am

Oh, that’s awful! One of my gf’s had this and it does NOT sound fun :( Hoping you feel better soon!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..I Get Back Up Again

48 Alison September 12, 2013 at 11:58 am

OUCH! that sounds really rough. at least you were proactive and went to a doctor. :) have a safe recovery!
Alison recently posted..what the heck is BPA?

49 Sarah September 12, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I had the same thing with my first-born. I NEVER get fevers, and I got a high fever and a hot, hard lump in my breast. Not fun! Hope you feel better! Lucas is a beauty!

50 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine September 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Oh no! Get well soon. That sounds awful. Ice cream and sprinkles for the win (:

51 Amanda L September 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm

You’re lucky your power was only out for an hour and a half! Ours has been out since 7 last night and they said the most optimistic estimation of when it could be back is 11:30 tonight. And that’s if we’re lucky!

52 Amanda L September 12, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Also, I’m so sorry to hear about all your troubles! That is no fun, especially with a brand new baby to attend to on top of it all!!

53 Tina @ Best Body Fitness September 12, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Oh no! Ive never dealt with mastitis but always heard it was very uncomfortable and miserable feeling. Hope you feel better soon!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Life Lately: Enjoyments

54 Nicole September 12, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Ahh Courtney – feel better soon!

I’m sending you Yoda, the munchkin cat, to cheer you up:

55 Courtney September 12, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Oh goodness I completely understand! I just finished breastfeeding my daughter after over a year and had mastitis multiple times. I strongly suggest you take a Lecithin supplement. Once I started taking 2-3 of those a day I never had another case. Also, lots of hot showers, extra nursing and pumping to unclog those ducts! Good luck and I feel for ya!

56 Danielle September 12, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I hope you feel better soon! Poor thing!
Danielle recently posted..The Benefits of Coconut

57 Rebecca @ Soft Serve and Squats September 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Soft serve absolutely makes everything better! Hope you start feeling even better soon! :)
Rebecca @ Soft Serve and Squats recently posted..Throwback Thursday: 90s Workout Playlist

58 Sarah @ Sweet Miles September 12, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Oh wow, feel better!!! Headaches that persist for days are miserable, but thank goodness it wasn’t anything more serious! Lucas is adorable, and that baby swing looks like a god send!!!
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Old Navy Running Apparel

59 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 12, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Oh Court, I’m SO sorry friend. :( I hope this passes quickly for you. And so glad you got a swing to use – I call ours a miracle worker! I still use it occasionally for Hunter’s naps if he’s having trouble staying asleep (damn 45 min intruder ;) ). Love you!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..How to Fit in Exercise with A Babe in Your Life

60 Jill C. September 12, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Oh my gosh, that sounds terrible! I hope you get to feeling better super soon. I am glad that your little one isn’t sick, or able to get sick! That would just be one more thing, right?
Jill C. recently posted..Be Human…it’s okay.

61 Michelle Kim September 12, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Yikes! Hope you get better, soon! At first, the symptoms sounded like what some women go through with a heart attack!!! Good to see that you have a great support around you and people to take care of you :)

62 Leigha @ Minougirl September 12, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Hope you are feeling better super soon! Feeling sick is the worst.
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..WIAW – XC Meet

63 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 12, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Sorry to hear that you haven’t been feeling well! I hope the mastitis clears up quickly. We lost power too, but fortunately only lasted for about 20 minutes in total – parents didn’t get theirs back until about 4 am though!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Live Blogging: From Blog To Job.

64 Regan September 12, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Feel better!!… P.s. since I know you love all things pumpkin……..please get a bag of pumpkin spice m&ms new this season…..I think you will love!!

65 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 14, 2013 at 10:34 am

Ugh, oh no! Sorry to hear you weren’t feeling well.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 53

66 Katy September 14, 2013 at 11:26 am

Ugh it’s always something huh? I hope you start feeling better soon!
Katy recently posted..Flavor of the Week: Pumpkin

67 Nala September 14, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Aww, poor you! I hope you are feeling much better and glad to hear the little guy was doing just fine. Your symptoms sound terrible but I’m glad to hear your are doing fine now and that was so sweet of Jay to get ice-cream! That always helps =D