WIAW: Night Time Hunger

Hump Dayyyyyy! (I’m sorry, I just cannot get enough of that commercial).

I’m a bit short on time this morning, so let’s skip the small talk and get right to the good stuff. Besides…I’m sure I’ll get all chatty with ya later on in the post. So here we go…it’s What I Ate Tuesday!

Breakfast

1 egg + 2 egg white scramble with spinach, feta, and ketchup, plus half a whole wheat English muffin topped with peanut butter. Oh, and coffee. Of course.

I’m sensing an egg kick coming my way soon. I’ve been craving them more and more and they were tastin’ gooooood yesterday.

Mid-Morning Snack

I knew I was going to eat the other half of that English muffin from breakfast. It was only a matter of time. Winking smile

So I had that, topped with peanut butter + pumpkin butter, along with a handful of grapes.

Lunch

THE most yummy tasting wrap I’ve had in quite some time now.

I used a LaTortilla Factory Low-Carb wrap and filled it with honey mustard, deli turkey, provolone cheese, lettuce, and some amazingly delicious tomato slices.

Mid-Afternoon Snack

This past Sunday when I was at my parents’ house, our friend Nicole brought over some pumpkin muffins that absolutely rocked my world. The best part? They only had three ingredients: a box of cake mix + a can of pumpkin + chocolate chips.

Soooo, guess who picked up the ingredients to make them while she was grocery shopping yesterday? Winking smile

I used a box of golden vanilla cake mix and added about 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips to the mix. Cook ‘em at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes (the large ones went for 20) and you’ve got a simple, delicious snack on your hands!

I ate one of the large ones shortly after taking them out of the oven…

and also snuck in a mini one too. So, so good.

Dinner

You GUYS…would you believe I cooked dinner two nights in a row? I know. I’m shocked too.

Monday night was a crockpot beef and sweet potato stew, and tonight was crispy breaded cod with lemon dill sauce. I used this recipe out of the latest Cooking Light magazine, and paired it with sugar snap peas and carrots.

The meal was nice, light, and totally on our “we will make this again” list.

And hey, check it out…we had a guest at dinner.

Would you guys believe he was actually sitting up there like that on Jay’s lap unassisted? We were both cracking up at him just chillin’ there. He’s been acting super cute lately (Monday night, he jumped up on my lap and hung out there while I was nursing Lucas).

After Dinner Snacks

As delicious as dinner was, it was a little on the light side, so it was no surprise that I was legit hungry again a couple hours later. After feeding Lucas and putting him to bed, I found myself back in the kitchen ready to snack on just about anything. Note to self: Keep the dinners a little heartier next time. Breastfeeding hunger is no joke.

First, I snacked on some of these mini peanut butter cookies that my in-laws got for us after a trip to Vermont.

I’m pretty sure I also had another mini pumpkin muffin before finally prepping my favorite after-dinner dessert as of late: vanilla Greek yogurt mixed with a big spoonful of PB2 and mini chocolate chips.

Cody was all around us last night, if you couldn’t tell.

I really like these Light & Fit yogurts for a dessert because they’re a bit sweeter than I would typically like if I was eating it, say, for breakfast. I’m pretty sure I’ve been eating this every night for the past week or so. It helps satisfy my sweets craving and has helped me back away from the ice cream I was constantly reaching for.

Yesterday was actually a bit lighter of an eating day than I’ve been having lately; typically there’s usually more with lunch or a bigger afternoon snack, which is also probably why I was so much hungrier at night. I guess I’ll have to work on that a little more today. Smile

Alright my friends, I’m off…catch ya later!

Questions for the Morning:

• What’s your favorite dessert been lately?
  • Do you find your cravings spike in the evening if you don’t eat enough during the day?

Comments

Looks like a great day of eats! And awesome job for cooking Dinner twice in a row! I can imagine just how tough it is to do with a new born.
    I tend to get the hungriest before bed…or maybe it’s just the I’m bored around this time…regardless my biggest Snacks are always before bed.
    Lisa recently posted..Sweet Potato And Turkey Chili

Ahh, I absolutely LOVE Dannon Light ‘n Fit Greek yogurts! I’ve been eating them pretty much since they first appeared on store shelves and they are so satisfying! Actually, this past weekend while shopping at Walmart, I spotted the brand new Strawberry Cheesecake flavor! It’s the only store where I’ve spotted it and it is now one of my favorite flavors! Yum!
    Melissa recently posted..Leaves, Apples and Pumpkins: An Autumn Welcome!

I always like to finish off the evening with something sweet, but I find that I am much more satisfied with my chocolate or ice cream or [insert sweetie treatie here] if I only have it in the evening after dinner. If I have something sweet and carby in the morning (like pancakes, waffles, cinnamon rolls, etc), I crave sweets all day and I find it hard to stop myself!
    Allison (Ms. Whirlwind) recently posted..Friday Five 9/20*

I’ve been curious about those cake mix + canned pumpkin muffins… I’ve tried the cake mix + can of soda approach before and wasn’t a huge fan, so I may have to do some experimenting again. And girl… My stomach gets super upset with me if I don’t eat enough during the day, and I pretty much become an insatiable hunger beast in the evening. So I usually try to front load most of my calories, whether I’m hungry for it or not. Seems to work.. for the most part ;)
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … fall steam ahead! .

Dark chocolate is always my favorite dessert.
    Being 34 weeks pregnant I get the night time hunger! There are many times I fall asleep and wake up an hour later starving! Of course I am never hungry when I fall asleep.

Your lunch and dinner just look super good!! OMG love that picture of Cody sitting at the table hahaha. I find that if I don’t add my dark chocolate to my afternoon snack I will have a major sweet tooth!! Like yesterday, I had the dark chocolate around 10:30, which left me at 3:30 wanting a huge bowl or ice cream haha. Thank god we don’t have ice cream at the house.
    Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..IIFYM?

Those muffins looks delicious! I actually JUST tried the light and fit Greek yogurt this morning and you are right boy are they sweet! I usually put frozen fruit on top to sweeten the yogurt a bit, but this didn’t need it! I like how you use it for a dessert I think I will have to do that from now and stick to my normal Greek yogurt for breakfast :)
    Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Time for a Hair Change

Awww, I bet Cody is being so cute because he has only child syndrome haha :-)

First off, love those muffins! You should try it with Spice Cake Mix. The yellow cake, in my opinion, cancels out the pumpkin a little, but with spice cake, that pumpkin flavor really comes through.

Good for you for making 2 meals – that crockpot is amazing. I don’t know what I’d do without it :-)

Dessert lately for me has been vanilla ice cream, topped with whipped cream, Fruity Pebbles and Goldfish. I know, I’m a kid at heart!
    Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: A Day in the Life of a Sometimes Healthy Girl Part 3

I’m making those muffins pronto!!

I definitely notice I get hungry in the evening (and/or middle of the night!) if I don’t eat enough at dinner or throughout the day. Actually those first couple months of breastfeeding, I would almost always wake up around 2 AM starving and have to grab some sort of snack. I was definitely eating enough throughout the day, but breastfeeding just made me starvin’ marvin’ all the time!
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #99: What Do You Eat?

I love that commercial!! I still laugh hysterically every time I see it. My hunger definitely gets a little out of control in the evenings mostly due to the fact that I don’t work out until late afternoon. If that workout is a run, I’m starving for the rest of the night!
    Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Race To Prepare

11. Barbara says

I just got so hungry reading your post. Your turkey wrap is beautiful – mine don’t look that good! The pumpkin muffins are so good – I made them using spice cake, canned pumpkin and semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Cravings and my hunger in general spike at night if I don’t eat enough earlier in the day.

That wrap you had for lunch looks delicious. I need to eat wraps more, much more fun than a regular sandwich!

I was ALWAYS hungry while I was breastfeeding. I’d get hungry two hours after every meal. It was really annoying sometimes. I snacked on trail mix, yogurt, and string cheese all the time.
    Christina recently posted..What We Ate Wednesday

I love Light ‘n Fit yogurt! And I also love all things pumpkin (I mean, who doesn’t?!). I make those muffins with devil’s food cake mix and chocolate chips, or spice cake mix and chocolate chips, sometimes in the form of a cookie too. SO good!

That fish looks good and really easy to make too. I’ll have to try it soon. Fish makes a regular appearance in my dinners and I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it!
    Lately I’ve been wanting to snack a bunch in the middle of the day instead of after dinner, unless my dinner is really light. Often for me, after dinner eating is just boredom so I try and just have a mint or something!
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Turning Into a Little Beast

My boss has made those muffins for me a few times…they are SO good with chocolate cake mix ;-)
    P.S. When I started reading Ithought I had accidentally clicked on an old pre-prego post of yours. Looks you’ve settled back into your pre-pregnancy eating habits! Youre looking great too! {in instagram!}

Hi Courtney! I’m new to your blog and I’m so happy I found you – I can’t wait to look around!! I’m a mom of 2 little boys so if you have any question (or just need to vent!) I’m here for ya! My go-to dessert for a while has been a serving of Edy’s Slow Churned Ice Cream – it’s not the healthiest or most nutritious (duh! lol) but it is such a treat! I also love Vitalicious VitaTops and mini VitaCakes with a dollop of peanut butter – yummmm! :)
    -Sammy @ peaceandloveandicecream.blogspot.com
    Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream recently posted..WOD – September 24, 2013

Goodness gracious, girl! So much good food going on here! I’ve been on a serious egg kick lately and I have to restrain myself from having too many in one day…hah! And omgsh, that Cody picture. You should totally put a caption on it and put it on pinterest! It looks like one of those funny ones people start pinning like crazy.
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..What I’ve Missed

That dinner looks so good!
    My favorite “dessert” lately has been dried figs dipped in plain Greek yogurt. The creaminess of the yogurt pairs so well with the sweet figs. I don’t really consider it a dessert by any means (give me cobbler a la mode if we’re talkin’ dessert!), but I’ve been having it almost every night for the past month or two! A little addicted ;)
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..WIAW: School Day Eats

I definitely get more hungry at the end of the day if I don’t eat enough during the day! Especially if I don’t have a filling breakfast. If I have something like a couple of donuts for breakfast instead of my normal protein filled breakfast, I am so much hungrier for the rest of the day!

• Courtney says

I don’t think that particular link was an affiliate (although I honestly can’t remember) but I do have affiliate links for iHerb which I usually include in posts when I mention my coupon code. I have the disclaimer on my “Shop” page. Hope you enjoy the PB2 as much as I do!!

20. Carolyn says

I made these pumpkin muffins over the weekend and mine definitely did not turn out to look as nice as yours! I don’t know how I could have messed up a 3 ingredient dessert. But, they tasted great =]