WIAW: Night Time Hunger

by Courtney on September 25, 2013

Hump Dayyyyyy! (I’m sorry, I just cannot get enough of that commercial).

I’m a bit short on time this morning, so let’s skip the small talk and get right to the good stuff. Besides…I’m sure I’ll get all chatty with ya later on in the post. So here we go…it’s What I Ate Tuesday!

Breakfast

1 egg + 2 egg white scramble with spinach, feta, and ketchup, plus half a whole wheat English muffin topped with peanut butter. Oh, and coffee. Of course.

I’m sensing an egg kick coming my way soon. I’ve been craving them more and more and they were tastin’ gooooood yesterday.

Mid-Morning Snack

I knew I was going to eat the other half of that English muffin from breakfast. It was only a matter of time. Winking smile

So I had that, topped with peanut butter + pumpkin butter, along with a handful of grapes.

Lunch

THE most yummy tasting wrap I’ve had in quite some time now.

I used a LaTortilla Factory Low-Carb wrap and filled it with honey mustard, deli turkey, provolone cheese, lettuce, and some amazingly delicious tomato slices.

Mid-Afternoon Snack

This past Sunday when I was at my parents’ house, our friend Nicole brought over some pumpkin muffins that absolutely rocked my world. The best part? They only had three ingredients: a box of cake mix + a can of pumpkin + chocolate chips.

Soooo, guess who picked up the ingredients to make them while she was grocery shopping yesterday? Winking smile

I used a box of golden vanilla cake mix and added about 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips to the mix. Cook ‘em at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes (the large ones went for 20) and you’ve got a simple, delicious snack on your hands!

I ate one of the large ones shortly after taking them out of the oven…

and also snuck in a mini one too. So, so good.

Dinner

You GUYS…would you believe I cooked dinner two nights in a row? I know. I’m shocked too.

Monday night was a crockpot beef and sweet potato stew, and tonight was crispy breaded cod with lemon dill sauce. I used this recipe out of the latest Cooking Light magazine, and paired it with sugar snap peas and carrots.

The meal was nice, light, and totally on our “we will make this again” list.

And hey, check it out…we had a guest at dinner.

Would you guys believe he was actually sitting up there like that on Jay’s lap unassisted? We were both cracking up at him just chillin’ there. He’s been acting super cute lately (Monday night, he jumped up on my lap and hung out there while I was nursing Lucas).

After Dinner Snacks

As delicious as dinner was, it was a little on the light side, so it was no surprise that I was legit hungry again a couple hours later. After feeding Lucas and putting him to bed, I found myself back in the kitchen ready to snack on just about anything. Note to self: Keep the dinners a little heartier next time. Breastfeeding hunger is no joke.

First, I snacked on some of these mini peanut butter cookies that my in-laws got for us after a trip to Vermont.

I’m pretty sure I also had another mini pumpkin muffin before finally prepping my favorite after-dinner dessert as of late: vanilla Greek yogurt mixed with a big spoonful of PB2 and mini chocolate chips.

Cody was all around us last night, if you couldn’t tell.

I really like these Light & Fit yogurts for a dessert because they’re a bit sweeter than I would typically like if I was eating it, say, for breakfast. I’m pretty sure I’ve been eating this every night for the past week or so. It helps satisfy my sweets craving and has helped me back away from the ice cream I was constantly reaching for.

Yesterday was actually a bit lighter of an eating day than I’ve been having lately; typically there’s usually more with lunch or a bigger afternoon snack, which is also probably why I was so much hungrier at night. I guess I’ll have to work on that a little more today. Smile

Alright my friends, I’m off…catch ya later!

Questions for the Morning:

• What’s your favorite dessert been lately?
  • Do you find your cravings spike in the evening if you don’t eat enough during the day?

1 Linz @ Itz Linz September 25, 2013 at 8:10 am

my favorite dessert is always ice cream :) :) i do need to get my hands on some pumpkin butter though!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..comfort oatmeal

2 Lisa September 25, 2013 at 8:10 am

Looks like a great day of eats! And awesome job for cooking Dinner twice in a row! I can imagine just how tough it is to do with a new born.
I tend to get the hungriest before bed…or maybe it’s just the I’m bored around this time…regardless my biggest Snacks are always before bed.
Lisa recently posted..Sweet Potato And Turkey Chili

3 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine September 25, 2013 at 8:16 am

I’m picking up the ingredients to make those muffins RIGHT now. So easy. And so delicious! I love them! :)

4 Shel@PeachyPalate September 25, 2013 at 8:17 am

Brownies and blondies all the way! I’m such a night time eater! Love a good bed time snack! :)
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Almond flour loving!

5 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl September 25, 2013 at 8:18 am

the new cooking light magazine is fab, isn’t it? Love the pumpkin muffin recipe idea! Those look pretty dangerous!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..A What I Ate Wednesday Full of Veggies!

6 Ashley @ Life and Fitness September 25, 2013 at 8:21 am

Hahah that photo of Cody sitting at the table is cracking me up! I love how he really thinks he is a person.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Give Me All The Apples

7 Melissa September 25, 2013 at 8:25 am

Ahh, I absolutely LOVE Dannon Light ‘n Fit Greek yogurts! I’ve been eating them pretty much since they first appeared on store shelves and they are so satisfying! Actually, this past weekend while shopping at Walmart, I spotted the brand new Strawberry Cheesecake flavor! It’s the only store where I’ve spotted it and it is now one of my favorite flavors! Yum!
Melissa recently posted..Leaves, Apples and Pumpkins: An Autumn Welcome!

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 25, 2013 at 8:34 am

Lately I’ve impressed myself by actually cooking dinner too instead of just taking a bunch of things and throwing them on top of lettuce. ;)
Cody sounds like he needs a little extra love. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Cooking Again

9 Allison (Ms. Whirlwind) September 25, 2013 at 8:35 am

I always like to finish off the evening with something sweet, but I find that I am much more satisfied with my chocolate or ice cream or [insert sweetie treatie here] if I only have it in the evening after dinner. If I have something sweet and carby in the morning (like pancakes, waffles, cinnamon rolls, etc), I crave sweets all day and I find it hard to stop myself!
Allison (Ms. Whirlwind) recently posted..Friday Five 9/20*

10 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 25, 2013 at 8:37 am

I’ve been curious about those cake mix + canned pumpkin muffins… I’ve tried the cake mix + can of soda approach before and wasn’t a huge fan, so I may have to do some experimenting again. And girl… My stomach gets super upset with me if I don’t eat enough during the day, and I pretty much become an insatiable hunger beast in the evening. So I usually try to front load most of my calories, whether I’m hungry for it or not. Seems to work.. for the most part ;)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … fall steam ahead! .

11 Amy @ The Little Honey Bee September 25, 2013 at 8:45 am

Yay for cooking dinner! I’ve been reheating my food prep so far this week. I definitely get food cravings/legit hunger later in the night if my dinner isn’t hearty enough or if I don’t eat enough during the day. This seems to be happening frequently so I better step up my game!
Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted..Coconut Banana Pancake [WIAW 14]

12 Lindsey September 25, 2013 at 8:58 am

Dark chocolate is always my favorite dessert.
Being 34 weeks pregnant I get the night time hunger! There are many times I fall asleep and wake up an hour later starving! Of course I am never hungry when I fall asleep.

13 Alaina September 25, 2013 at 9:04 am

Oh my gosh, I just cannot get over how cute Cody is! Him sitting on Jay’s lap is hilarious. :-)

And I think I need to make those muffins too!

14 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne September 25, 2013 at 9:08 am

Your lunch and dinner just look super good!! OMG love that picture of Cody sitting at the table hahaha. I find that if I don’t add my dark chocolate to my afternoon snack I will have a major sweet tooth!! Like yesterday, I had the dark chocolate around 10:30, which left me at 3:30 wanting a huge bowl or ice cream haha. Thank god we don’t have ice cream at the house.
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..IIFYM?

15 Kristi September 25, 2013 at 9:18 am

My evening snacking is redonk. I seem to smack in the evenings no matter what I eat for dinner and I can’t quite beat that smack cravings yet.
Kristi recently posted..I ran

16 Melissa @ forloveandtravel September 25, 2013 at 9:23 am

My latest snack has been muffins. I’m trying to make easy breakfast items for the family and came across some muffins. Still working on making different kinds. Can’t wait to make some with pumpkin for the holidays.
Melissa @ forloveandtravel recently posted..Be Patient, Be Hopeful, Your Baby will Come!

17 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun September 25, 2013 at 9:25 am

Those muffins looks delicious! I actually JUST tried the light and fit Greek yogurt this morning and you are right boy are they sweet! I usually put frozen fruit on top to sweeten the yogurt a bit, but this didn’t need it! I like how you use it for a dessert I think I will have to do that from now and stick to my normal Greek yogurt for breakfast :)
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Time for a Hair Change

18 Katie @ running4cupcakes September 25, 2013 at 9:28 am

OMG those muffins sound so good and so easy – right up my alley!! Thanks for sharing. :)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Luke lately–17 months

19 Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner September 25, 2013 at 9:28 am

That wrap looks delicious! I always mark recipes to try from Cooking Light and never get to it! (Almost like Pinterest haha) Definitely going to have to finally try that one though! It looks great! Happy HUMP DAYYYYYY! ;)
Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner recently posted..Pumpkin Edition: WIAW

20 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 25, 2013 at 9:32 am

I love having a honey crisp apple (just bought a bunch) with some dark chocolate and PB for dessert!

21 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 25, 2013 at 9:34 am

I love wraps for lunch and yours certainly looks delicious! Those muffins look awesome. I can’t believe there are only 3 ingredients.

I made this cake batter and sprinkles fudge over the weekend, so that’s been my dessert of choice lately. It’s SO good!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #14 – Insatiable Cravings

22 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog September 25, 2013 at 9:50 am

Awww, I bet Cody is being so cute because he has only child syndrome haha :-)

First off, love those muffins! You should try it with Spice Cake Mix. The yellow cake, in my opinion, cancels out the pumpkin a little, but with spice cake, that pumpkin flavor really comes through.

Good for you for making 2 meals – that crockpot is amazing. I don’t know what I’d do without it :-)

Dessert lately for me has been vanilla ice cream, topped with whipped cream, Fruity Pebbles and Goldfish. I know, I’m a kid at heart!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: A Day in the Life of a Sometimes Healthy Girl Part 3

23 Renee September 25, 2013 at 9:54 am

Cody is waaay too cute!
I’m gonna have to try those muffins for sure!
Renee recently posted..WIAW: Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Tortilla Soup

24 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

I’m making those muffins pronto!!

I definitely notice I get hungry in the evening (and/or middle of the night!) if I don’t eat enough at dinner or throughout the day. Actually those first couple months of breastfeeding, I would almost always wake up around 2 AM starving and have to grab some sort of snack. I was definitely eating enough throughout the day, but breastfeeding just made me starvin’ marvin’ all the time!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #99: What Do You Eat?

25 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life September 25, 2013 at 10:25 am

MMMM can I just eat everything you did?! I’m drooling over here! ;) PS HAHA Cody……
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..Quest Bar GIVEAWAY!!!

26 Lauren September 25, 2013 at 10:27 am

My favorite dessert lately has been pumpkin chocolate chip cake. I guess we’re all on the same page lately ;)

27 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

I love that commercial!! I still laugh hysterically every time I see it. My hunger definitely gets a little out of control in the evenings mostly due to the fact that I don’t work out until late afternoon. If that workout is a run, I’m starving for the rest of the night!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Race To Prepare

28 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl September 25, 2013 at 10:38 am

That muffin idea is genius!! Thanks for sharing :).
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW…While Traveling

29 Barbara September 25, 2013 at 11:24 am

I just got so hungry reading your post. Your turkey wrap is beautiful – mine don’t look that good! The pumpkin muffins are so good – I made them using spice cake, canned pumpkin and semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Cravings and my hunger in general spike at night if I don’t eat enough earlier in the day.

30 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health September 25, 2013 at 11:37 am

That picture of Cody on Jay’s lap is SO funny! I love it. If only we could understand why animals do the things they do.

I do the same thing with my english muffins in the morning. I eat half for breakfast and save the other half for a snack. It’s a great way to keep your metabolism going without getting too full.
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Mini Loaves

31 Christina September 25, 2013 at 11:47 am

That wrap you had for lunch looks delicious. I need to eat wraps more, much more fun than a regular sandwich!

I was ALWAYS hungry while I was breastfeeding. I’d get hungry two hours after every meal. It was really annoying sometimes. I snacked on trail mix, yogurt, and string cheese all the time.
Christina recently posted..What We Ate Wednesday

32 Sarah @ Sweet Miles September 25, 2013 at 11:48 am

Way to go on the cooking! That wrap DOES look delicious!! I need to stop looking at food when I’m hungry!
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Running a New Route

33 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance September 25, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I usually eat a pretty substantial dinner so I don’t get too hungry at night. Although, sometimes I get so hungry when I’m making dinner I start to snack, which is no good. My fav dessert is chocolate!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Bringing Your Bike Into the Pool at Aqua Studio

34 Christa @ Situps & Sequins September 25, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I love Light ‘n Fit yogurt! And I also love all things pumpkin (I mean, who doesn’t?!). I make those muffins with devil’s food cake mix and chocolate chips, or spice cake mix and chocolate chips, sometimes in the form of a cookie too. SO good!

35 Angela @ Health's Angel September 25, 2013 at 12:15 pm

That fish looks good and really easy to make too. I’ll have to try it soon. Fish makes a regular appearance in my dinners and I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it!
Lately I’ve been wanting to snack a bunch in the middle of the day instead of after dinner, unless my dinner is really light. Often for me, after dinner eating is just boredom so I try and just have a mint or something!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Turning Into a Little Beast

36 Erin G. @ Treats and Sneaks September 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Love those La Tortilla Low Carb wraps! My boyfriend and I actually buy a huge pack of them at Costco and keep them in the fridge so they don’t go bad.
Erin G. @ Treats and Sneaks recently posted..You Are Your Own Guru

37 Annette@FitnessPerks September 25, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Mmmmm I love turkey/cheese/tomato wraps or sandwiches at lunch!

Dessert lately has been a bunch of fruit or popsicles. Loving the tart still!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Being Productive

38 Ashlee@HisnHers September 25, 2013 at 1:41 pm

My boss has made those muffins for me a few times…they are SO good with chocolate cake mix ;-)
P.S. When I started reading Ithought I had accidentally clicked on an old pre-prego post of yours. Looks you’ve settled back into your pre-pregnancy eating habits! Youre looking great too! {in instagram!}

39 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 25, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Rather than having dessert recently, I’ve been having a small glass of sweet wine (like a pink moscato) each night after dinner. It’s a nice way to wind down after putting the baby to bed! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Cooking a whole chicken in the slow cooker.

40 Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream September 25, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Hi Courtney! I’m new to your blog and I’m so happy I found you – I can’t wait to look around!! I’m a mom of 2 little boys so if you have any question (or just need to vent!) I’m here for ya! My go-to dessert for a while has been a serving of Edy’s Slow Churned Ice Cream – it’s not the healthiest or most nutritious (duh! lol) but it is such a treat! I also love Vitalicious VitaTops and mini VitaCakes with a dollop of peanut butter – yummmm! :)
-Sammy @ peaceandloveandicecream.blogspot.com
Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream recently posted..WOD – September 24, 2013

41 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 25, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I love the picture of Cody on Jay’s lap! He really is convinced that he’s a person. And if I don’t eat enough during the day, my cravings definitely come out at night – usually for sweet things.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Purse Snacks.

42 Ellie@Fit for the soul September 25, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Goodness gracious, girl! So much good food going on here! I’ve been on a serious egg kick lately and I have to restrain myself from having too many in one day…hah! And omgsh, that Cody picture. You should totally put a caption on it and put it on pinterest! It looks like one of those funny ones people start pinning like crazy.
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..What I’ve Missed

43 Nicole @ FruitnFitness September 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Everything looks really good. I love adding pb2 to yogurt! Cody is adorable! I think he was being extra cute to make sure Lucas wasn’t the only one getting camera time :)
Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted..WIAW – a day of studying

44 Suzanne @ Mixitmom September 25, 2013 at 5:31 pm

LOVE those muffins!!! I made a batch this weekend, except I used a spice cake mix. Oh heavens, they were good!!

I crave something sweet every night after dinner regardless of how big my meal was. Lately I’ve been enjoying a tootsie roll or two but light yogurt would be a lot healthier!!
Suzanne @ Mixitmom recently posted..The Season of Pumpkin{Muffin Recipes}

45 Aurora@Fitness is Sweet September 25, 2013 at 6:01 pm

For desserts-anything with pumpkin and I’m on board! Those muffins sound awesome!
Aurora@Fitness is Sweet recently posted..WIAW #dormlife

46 Leigha @ Minougirl September 25, 2013 at 6:31 pm

PUMPKIN BUTTER? Where do I get that?! I’m seriously loving everything. IJ ust made those muffins too! Although I used spice cake mix – YUMMM!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Fashion Friday {9/16 – 9/20}

47 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves September 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm

That dinner looks so good!
My favorite “dessert” lately has been dried figs dipped in plain Greek yogurt. The creaminess of the yogurt pairs so well with the sweet figs. I don’t really consider it a dessert by any means (give me cobbler a la mode if we’re talkin’ dessert!), but I’ve been having it almost every night for the past month or two! A little addicted ;)
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..WIAW: School Day Eats

48 Floey September 25, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I need my cat to do that ASAP

49 Andrea @ pencils and pancakes September 25, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I made those exact pumpkin muffins for open house at school tomorrow night!!
Andrea @ pencils and pancakes recently posted..Review: Bilinski Gluten Free Sausage

50 Becky@TheSavedRunner September 25, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I definitely get more hungry at the end of the day if I don’t eat enough during the day! Especially if I don’t have a filling breakfast. If I have something like a couple of donuts for breakfast instead of my normal protein filled breakfast, I am so much hungrier for the rest of the day!

51 Juli @1000lovelythings September 26, 2013 at 1:59 am

I would love to have a bite of this tortilla. Everything is so much more fun when you wrap it! And I am all up to Mexican food lately. This cat is too adorable! Sometimes I think cats truely believe to be human and act like humans do! Lovely :-)
Juli @1000lovelythings recently posted..What I ate Wednesday #10 – Give me some Butternut Squash

52 Amie September 26, 2013 at 2:01 am

I’ve been loving homemade ice cream! And I definitely have night snack attacks if I don’t eat enough during the day!
Amie recently posted..Food Matters review

53 Cait September 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I love Cody, reminds me so much of my Louis! Is Cody an indoor cat?

54 Kristen October 4, 2013 at 9:08 am

I just bought a jar of PB2 from the link on your website. Do you get anything from us using those links?

55 Courtney October 4, 2013 at 9:59 am

I don’t think that particular link was an affiliate (although I honestly can’t remember) but I do have affiliate links for iHerb which I usually include in posts when I mention my coupon code. I have the disclaimer on my “Shop” page. Hope you enjoy the PB2 as much as I do!!

56 Carolyn October 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I made these pumpkin muffins over the weekend and mine definitely did not turn out to look as nice as yours! I don’t know how I could have messed up a 3 ingredient dessert. But, they tasted great =]