Our First Post-Baby Date Night

by Courtney on September 30, 2013

Such a great, great weekend. Seriously…probably one of the best we’ve had in a long time! After spending Friday evening in (which is basically the norm, duh), we awoke Saturday morning feeling refreshed and excited for the day (it was date night day!).

Lucas allowed me to sleep in an extra two hours after his 6am feeding, and I awoke to Jay telling me he was heading out to get my oil changed in my car. Before leaving, he also asked if I wanted him to pick me up a coffee on his way back and that he’d make me some Kodiak Cakes for breakfast once he returned.

Ummm, best way to wake up EVER?

Sure enough, he lived up to his word and returned with my pumpkin coffee in hand, and shortly after, delivered me my plate of pancakes.

Deeeeeelicious.

A couple hours later, once Lucas was down for a nap, I decided to squeeze in a workout. I had taken Thursday and Friday off our of sheer laziness, so I decided to set out with a goal of a 5K on the treadmill. I knew it was a lofty goal, but surprisingly enough, I succeeded!

It was hot, sweaty, and super awesome (I alternated 3 minutes at 6.0, 1 minute at 7.0, then walked 1 minute at 4.0).

Fast-forward to early Saturday evening and it was time for date night! We left Lucas at home with my MIL for a few hours while we went out on the town. Winking smile

Our first stop? Brown’s Brewing Co. for my first cherry raspberry ale post-pregnancy. Ohh, how I’d been waiting for that.

Seeing as though it was only about 5pm by the time we got there, we had no problem finding a couple seats at the bar. We hung out for about a drink and a half, had a blast, and then continued on to our next stop of the evening…Bacchus.

Jay and I were last there about a year ago and we were excited to return. We grabbed a spot at the bar again…we seriously LOVE sitting at the bar and usually wind up having some of our best conversations there.

They had some interesting sounding beers on tap and I ultimately decided on a Uinta Punk’n Ale, which came with a glorious cinnamon sugar rim.

I only wound up having about 2/3 of that one though because I started getting sick of it towards the end. I don’t know what my deal is lately, but I’m just not diggin’ the pumpkin beers like I usually do. It’s very strange.

By this time, we were ready for some food so both ordered a couple side salads and a couple pizzas.

A simple margherita pizza was my choice, while Jay chose a buffalo chicken. We each polished off three slices and boxed up the rest. It was sooooo good.

Our last stop of the evening was one that I’d been waiting to go to for a long time now, Lucas Confectionery.

It opened up while I was pregnant, and while I had heard they had delicious desserts, I figured I should hold off on heading to the wine bar until, you know, I could actually drink the wine. Winking smile

We were going to grab a table, but there was about a 25 minute wait, so we got lucky and snagged a couple seats at where else but…the bar.

We ordered a couple glasses of white wine and then went ahead and chose a few different items to share from the dessert selections: a pumpkin cupcake, a pumpkin maple whoopie pie, and a few truffles (2 dark chocolate, 1 honey lavender).

My favorite was, by far, the whoopie pie. Ohmygod it was so good. And the honey lavender truffle? I felt like I was chewing on a bar of soap from a spa. Just sayin’.

Around 8:30pm, we finished up at the wine bar and then figured we should head out so we could get home in time to put Lucas to bed. We laughed at the fact that we were ending our night out before 9pm (and were also exhausted by that point too), but it was an absolutely fantastic night and the two of us had such a great time.

Date nights are definitely a wonderful thing, but we were certainly excited to come home to our little man.

That was him yesterday morning…don’t you just love his homemade onesie? We have an adorable little selection from Brian and Mal, who made them all themselves. They’re so darn talented.

The rest of Sunday consisted of lounging in cozies, getting in a workout (I decided on Jillian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred video), watching football, chillin’ with Lucas, and eating leftovers for dinner.

It looks disgusting, I know, but the leftover beef and sweet potato stew was so, so tasty. On the side, I had some cut up tomatoes and cucumber, and also whipped up a small batch of garlic cheddar biscuits using some Bisquick. WOW, they were good…and so easy! (I used this recipe, in case you’re interested)

Now, we’re back to Monday once again…man, weekends just go by way too fast, don’t they? Hope everyone had just as great of a weekend and wishing you all a fabulous week ahead! Smile

1 Runner Girl Eats September 30, 2013 at 8:09 am

All of those desserts sound amazing…except the lavender truffle. I can never bring myself to try anything with lavender in it for fear it will taste like laundry detergent too! Glad you had a good date night. I love your top!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Sweet Potato Red Pepper Soup+White Cheddar Beer Bread

2 Shel@PeachyPalate September 30, 2013 at 8:09 am

Perfect date night by the looks of it!!! And well done on the 5k workout!

3 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 30, 2013 at 8:20 am

Sounds like such a lovely date night! That dessert wine bar looks awesome! I love truffles. :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Last Weekend Of September!!..

4 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 30, 2013 at 8:23 am

It sounds like a seriously wonderful weekend! Your hubby is definitely a keeper. Coffee and kodiak cakes that you didn’t have to go get or make…perfection!

Date night sounds amazing and all the food looks fantastic!

Love Lucas’ homemade onesie. So adorable!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..MIMM #10 – Shopaholic

5 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire September 30, 2013 at 8:25 am

Date night can’t get much better than that! Glad you guys got a chance to go out and enjoy each other. :) Although with such an adorable little guy (that onesie is SO cute!) I would head home early too! Hope you have a great Monday, Courtney!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Perfect Fall Saturday

6 Madison September 30, 2013 at 8:29 am

Such a fun date night!!! Everything you drank and ate and wore looks fabulous!
Madison recently posted..My 25th Year

7 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine September 30, 2013 at 8:34 am

Oh wow, everything looks so fantastic. That pumpkin whoopie pie…Oh. my. What a fun date night! You two are too adorable! :)

8 Lisa September 30, 2013 at 8:34 am

Glad you had a great weekend! It looks like quite the fun date night.
All the food looks awesome.
And that is most definitely the best thing to wake up to! Major points for the Husband.
Lisa recently posted..Autumn Musts

9 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl September 30, 2013 at 8:50 am

I agree, the weekends do go by way too fast! What an awesome weekend you had! Mine was much more low-key, but great nonetheless. I need to get my hands on a pumpkin whoopie pie before the end of Fall!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..A Look Back at the Marvelous Month of September

10 Lindsey September 30, 2013 at 8:54 am

Glad you two enjoyed a date night together! I think they are so important especially after having a baby :) I want to try a wine bar, looks fun!

11 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun September 30, 2013 at 9:01 am

Wow what a fun date night you had! I always order the margherita pizza! It looks so delicious there! I am so glad that you have family close that can help out with Lucas so you can enjoy date night. It really is SO important!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Weekly Recap: 9/22 – 9/29

12 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes September 30, 2013 at 9:22 am

SO HAPPY you guys had a date night! It’s such a great thing to do for your marriage AND for Lucas. What a blast too :-) Have a great week!
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..What I’ve learned from a period of not running.

13 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne September 30, 2013 at 9:22 am

Yay for you guys having a date night!! Those are always fun :) Those truffles look mighty tasty!!! I love Sundays, mainly for the reason that they are always so relaxing, and it’s more of a lounge day :)
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Banana Bread Ice Cream

14 Danica @ It's Progression September 30, 2013 at 9:32 am

Date nights really are the best…so glad you guys had a great time!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Enough.

15 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 30, 2013 at 9:33 am

I’m so glad you and Jay were able to get out and have a date night just the two of you. Those are so necessary every once in awhile! I think we’d do a lot more of those if we had family in town to take care of Hunter. *sigh*

And wow – great job on that 5k! I’m impressed! ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..California Adventures {Part 1}

16 Heather @fitncookies September 30, 2013 at 9:39 am

That looks like a blast! I love that you guys were able to get out and enjoy your night by yourselves :) Also love that the bakery was named Lucas! How adorable lol
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Just what I needed #MIMM

17 Ashlee@HisnHers September 30, 2013 at 9:51 am

I didnt even notice that! Too funny

18 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 9:49 am

That sounds like such an awesome date night, but I know what you mean about having to call it early. I actually have no idea how I managed some of the crazy hours when I was younger considering now I’m basically dead on my feet by 10 PM.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... monthly favorites – september 2013 .

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 30, 2013 at 9:49 am

Wow, that looks like the perfect date night!!! I’m so happy you were able to get out and spend time with your hubby. It really refreshes you, doesn’t it?

Have a great day, Courtney! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Showers of Blessing

20 Ashlee@HisnHers September 30, 2013 at 9:50 am

That looks a whoooooole lot like my Saturday! I love that white shirt you have on. You are a much better eater than I am because I would have had pizza sauce all down the front ;-)
I tried the Jillian Michaels new Yoga Inferno this weekend and holy moly it was a good workout! Leave it up to her to incorporate jump squats, jumping lunges, plank jacks and other cardio intervals into a yoga dvd haha

21 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance September 30, 2013 at 10:05 am

I feel like the weekend goes by in a blink of an eye! Looks like you guys had an awesome night! Yay for date nights!!!

22 Parita @ myinnershakti September 30, 2013 at 10:14 am

Sounds like the perfect way to start up date nights again post-baby! And I love the homemade onesie – what a fun idea!

23 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life September 30, 2013 at 10:22 am

Oh yay for date night!! Christian and I were supposed to have one yesterday but since it was rainy and we have to walk/bike everywhere, we decided against it ;) I love that onesie! Too cute!
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..MIMM #24–Halloween Prep & Shopping Prep

24 Lauren September 30, 2013 at 10:22 am

I never had anything lavender-flavored because of the fear of it tasting like dish soap. This looks like an amazing date DAY for you two! I always liked working near the bar where I was a hostess because the conversations were HILARIOUS.

25 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health September 30, 2013 at 10:26 am

That really was a perfect weekend! I would love that wine/dessert bar. Oh my, it looks like heaven.
I think Lucas could be Lincoln’s (IGE’s baby) brother. They are both so adorable!!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Kendall-Jackson 17th Annual Heirloom Tomato Festival

26 Angela @ Health's Angel September 30, 2013 at 10:35 am

Yay for date night! Looks like a perfect evening. So sweet of Jay to take care of all those things for you too. Keeper!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Silence the Mind

27 Laura @losingrace September 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

Coffee, pancakes are definitely good way to wake up! Glad you were able to have a date night, I am sure it was nice to get out for a bit (and enjoy some yummy beers as well) seeing as you definitely spend more time at home these days (for an adorable reason!).

Nice work getting time in on the treadmill too, sounds like you had a really good weekend!
Laura @losingrace recently posted..Wineglass Week 10:Taper Week 1

28 Cassie @RedLetterDaye September 30, 2013 at 11:28 am

What a great night out! The best of Troy! Lucas Confectionary is my favorite nightlife spot in the area. Glad you enjoyed it. They have a cherry beer there that is fantastic! I still need to try Bacchus pizza- looks so good! :)

And Lucas get’s cuter by the day! :)
Cassie @RedLetterDaye recently posted..the only thing constant in life…

29 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! September 30, 2013 at 11:54 am

how fun! that wine and dessert bar does look awesome!
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..Just Playing Catch Up & Kona’s Latest Veterinary Adventures

30 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog September 30, 2013 at 11:57 am

What a beautiful couple! Congrats on your first date night :-) How serendipitous that such a sweet restaurant was named Lucas! Looks like the perfect place for me to visit if I am ever up in your neck of the woods. Love whoopie pies!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Sometimes Healthy Kitchen Staples

31 Claire September 30, 2013 at 12:12 pm

What a FUN date night! I love that you two were able to get away and enjoy quality time together! Cole and I like the bar, too :-)

32 chelcie @ chelcie's food files September 30, 2013 at 12:13 pm

those desserts and pizza sound amazing!! I love Lucas’s onesies..he is so precious!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Weekend Things + Meals for the Week

33 Ellie@Fit for the soul September 30, 2013 at 12:20 pm

There’s so much good stuff in this post! So let me list things, lol:
1. Your hair looks so beautiful!! Did you just curl it lightly, or how’d you do it? I’m not great with hair stuff.
2. Lavender stuff can be hit/miss but when they’re a hit, they’re amazing!!!!!
3. ahhhhh date night is such a blessing and you learn to appreciate it that much more when you have a baby.
4. pregnancy SEEMS to do weird things with our tastes. I used to like chocolate but not go crazy over it, and used to be indifferent abount chocolate cake. Now I can eat it several times a day. 0_0
Have a beautiful day, Courtney!

34 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 30, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Looks like the perfect date night! And that dessert spread looks amazing – I’d probably be picking out the pumpkin whoopie pie too. Happy that you guys were able to have an awesome night together!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Rehashing September.

35 Amanda Maggio September 30, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Sounds like a wonderful date night girl!! That onesie is the cutest too. Your hair looks amazing! Love the natural waves :) Have a great week!
Amanda Maggio recently posted..Weekend Things

36 Cait @ PieceofCait September 30, 2013 at 1:28 pm

YAY for date night! Looks like a fantastic night with allllll the essentials.. and the beer with the cinnamon rim… I need to try that ;-)

37 Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream September 30, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Date nights are the best! They are such a great way to reconnect after an exhausting (but wonderful!) long week filled with all.thing.baby! Looks like you guys had a great time! I want a dessert place like that near us – yum!!
Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream recently posted..5 things that made me #soooooHappy today :)

38 Annette@FitnessPerks September 30, 2013 at 1:58 pm

HAHA. I literally LOLed on the lavendar bar soap comment. Hah. I totally do not have that ‘fine’ taste and would rather simple chocolate with caramel or hazelnut.

So glad you guys got to go out & have a fun date night. It sounds perf & delish!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..BabyMoon Success! + Winner

39 Fizz @fizzsbizz September 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Now THAT looks like a fun date night. I actually love starting and finishing date nights nice and early — and I don’t even have a baby at home!
Fizz @fizzsbizz recently posted..A craving for salad!! Who am I??

40 Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl September 30, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I’m so happy you got to go out!! Your date looks like so much and so yummy, too!! Ending a night early allows for some couch cuddle time :)

I want that beef and sweet potato stew recipe!!!
Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl recently posted..My Fav Ohio Teams Killin’ It

41 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 30, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I can just imagine how much sweeter date nights are when they’re rare like that. Glad you had fun!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..A Trail Run And Other Weekend Shenanigans

42 Michelle Kim September 30, 2013 at 5:37 pm

What a wonderful date night! Everything looks yummy, and I know the pumpkin beer didn’t make you feel too good, but it sounds delicious, especially with the sugar rim!

43 Kelly September 30, 2013 at 6:20 pm

It’s so funny, my good friend Emily who you also apparently know? and I were at Brown’s the same time you were! Just outside :-) Funny…. And I have heard GREAT things about the Confectionary… I really want to go there soon!! I’m glad y’all enjoyed your date night…. it was like the most perfect night out so you lucked out!!
Kelly recently posted..OMG TGIF LOL BFF4EVA

44 char eats greens September 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I love date nights and that sounds like the perfect one!!!! I’m not gonna lie, I can’t wait for a pumpkin beer. I just hope it tastes as good as the sips did last year while I was pregnant and longing for more!! haha
char eats greens recently posted..CSA pickup: week 15

45 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 30, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Looks like the perfect date night! I love sitting at the bar with my husband too!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Meal Plan Monday: 9/30

46 sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com September 30, 2013 at 8:17 pm

pumpkin beers haven’t been doing it for me this season either….except for this one: jack’o travelers shandy. Its phenomenal and has been flying off the shelves around here.
sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..Friend Making Monday

47 Brittany @ read, run, repeat September 30, 2013 at 8:57 pm

So glad you got to try out Charles Lucas!! I still can’t believe I never saw the dessert menu!! I only had wine and cheese– guess I’m going back!! :D
Brittany @ read, run, repeat recently posted..Recipe: Our Tasty Tomato Sauce (with fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, onion & garlic)

48 Jenny October 1, 2013 at 9:55 am

YAY for date nights!! Looks like you guys had a perfect evening. LOVE the picture of little Lucas!
Jenny recently posted..Happy October! {September in Review}

49 Christa @ Situps and Sequins October 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Now that’s my idea of a perfect date night! AND the perfect Saturday morning- oil change, pancakes annnd a pumpkin coffee? Yes, please.

P.S. Lucas is beyond adorable! :)

50 Rebecca @ Soft Serve and Squats October 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm

This looks like such a fantastic weekend! The whoopie pie sure does look and sound delish!
Rebecca @ Soft Serve and Squats recently posted..Walking-Running Mashup

51 Nala October 14, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Wow you two look like you really had loads of fun! You look so happy and cute together! I’m sure Lucas was just as glad to see you!