WIAW: Some Bad Planning

by Courtney on October 2, 2013

Hello and good morning, friends!

I managed to document most of my eats from yesterday, so I’m jumping in on the always fun What I Ate Wednesday. Heeeeere we go!

Breakfast

1 egg + 2 egg whites scrambled with lots of spinach and ketchup, along with a slice of toast with Justin’s vanilla almond butter (oh my goddddd, it’s so good) and coffee

Mid-Morning Snack

A banana plus a handful of homemade trail mix (I used some of the items from my latest iHerb order to make it…and then added some semi-sweet chocolate chips for good measure. Mwahaha)

IMG_3639IMG_3641

Lunch?

Alright, so this meal is the perfect example of bad planning. Yesterday afternoon, I had an appointment for a mani-pedi that I bought on Groupon a few months back, so my mom came over to watch Lucas for a few hours. I wound up having my snacks above around 11:30am so I wasn’t super hungry when I left the house just before 1pm.

Wellll, hunger came rather quickly (as I knew it would…what was I thinking?) and since I didn’t have any snacks with me, I needed to make a quick stop. There was a Dunkin’ Donuts right on the way so I grabbed an egg white veggie flatbread sandwich.

FYI: That’s totally a recycled photo from THIS post, which made me laugh. That was just the start of one of the worst travel experiences I’ve ever had in my entire life.

I mean, it could have been worse (hello, pumpkin muffin/donut/munchkins) but it could have been better too. Ahh well.

Aaaaaand just because I felt like it, I also ordered myself a french vanilla coffee coolatta made with skim milk. I couldn’t tell you the last time I had one of the coffee ones, but this one totally hit the spot.

Also a recycled photo from THIS post. Winking smile

Dinner

I decided to try out a new-to-us recipe that I’d had pinned for a little while now…Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches. I’d seen both Ashley and Kristen talk about them on numerous occasions so I figured they must be awesome.

Well…they are definitely awesome. I served ours on some sandwich thins, along with some side Caesar salads. Hey, why not go all out, right?

(That’s two dinners in a row again so far this week – WOOT!)

Dessert

Shortly after dinner, I wound up snacking on some pumpkin spice M&M’s (yep, that was my purchase last week!). They’re good, but I’m not sure I’m suuuuuuper crazy for them.

Then once Lucas was to bed (we tried a slightly earlier bedtime – 8pm – and it worked out great) I had my usual after-dinner snack as of late.

(I know you guys are diggin’ my super cool jammies)

A vanilla Greek yogurt mixed with PB2, mini chocolate chips (about 1/2 tbsp) and a couple random goldfish crackers (they’re cookies ‘n’ cream flavor) that I found in the cabinet. Sooo, so good, and was thoroughly enjoyed shortly before watching last night’s episode of New Girl. Seriously guys…Jay and I laugh out loud more at that show than any other one in our lineup. It is THE best!

How many of you watch New Girl? Any other shows you’re totally loving so far this season? (I’m also still totally in love with Modern Family, The Voice, and Nashville).

Alright, I’m off to squeeze in a workout while Lucas is still napping…catch ya later!!

1 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine October 2, 2013 at 8:53 am

A Dunkin Donuts run? That doesn’t sound like bad planning to me!! :)

2 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle October 2, 2013 at 9:01 am

Love your eats! I’m surprisingly not crazy about pumpkin M & Ms either, hm. I watch the New Girl as well, but am all about The Mindy Project lately. That show makes me laugh out loud the most since 30 Rock.
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..MIMM: Baseball and Lions

3 Lindsey October 2, 2013 at 9:03 am

LOVE New Girl! So funny! I am happy Jess and Nick are finally together too.
I need to try those Chicken Caesar sandwiches, maybe next week. They do look yummy!
I hate that when you are not prepared end up over hungry have to grab something and its meh… happens to me all the time right now (I am 35w pregnant).

4 Stacey M. October 2, 2013 at 9:04 am

I’ve been wanting to try those slow cooker chicken sandwiches, and now I think I definitely HAVE to … they look amazing. Just curious, what brand of caesar dressing did you use? Also, did you use chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken?
I also have to try your favorite “dessert” sometime … I have a couple jars of PB2 in the cupboard at home that I haven’t touched in a while. Sounds like I have a reason to use it now.
Have a great day Courtney!

5 Courtney October 2, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I used Ken’s light Caesar and we really, really like it! As for the chicken, I used boneless, skinless thighs that were on sale. They were good, and I liked how they were a bit cheaper, but to be honest, they were still pretty fatty and pretty gross when trimming lol

6 Stacey M. October 2, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Thanks for the info! I’ll have to look for that dressing when I’m in the store next time. And I know what you mean about the chicken – trimming it is just one of those things I dread! LOL I’ll see what I can do with the boneless, skinless breasts. They tend to be a little less fatty.

7 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 2, 2013 at 9:08 am

I just made the slow cooker chicken Cesar sandwiches too! I made it over the weekend and boy are they good! I’ve been eating mine on Ezekiel bread, but I love the idea of the sandwich thins.
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #15 – Creamy Pumpkin Peanut Soup

8 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance October 2, 2013 at 9:20 am

Ohhh I may have to try those slow cooker sandwiches. I love breaking out the slow cooker when the weather cools. Last year I did a whole Sunday slow cooker series where every Sunday I made something in the slow cooker. Yum!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Things I’m Loving Lately

9 Courtney October 2, 2013 at 1:51 pm

That’s such a great idea! I try to tell myself to do that all the time and, well, yeah… ;)

10 Danica @ It's Progression October 2, 2013 at 9:25 am

Modern Family is probably my favorite show on tv right now. I always love Ellen too – both guarantee at least one laugh or two per episode :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..wiaw: Panera and M&Ms

11 Ashley @ Life and Fitness October 2, 2013 at 9:26 am

The big bang theory and person of interest are my favorite fall tv shows right now :)
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Chemex Coffee

12 Lauren October 2, 2013 at 9:26 am

Oh wow, your poor planning days are like a GREAT one for me!! haha And agreed on the Pumpkin Spice M&Ms…I thought I’d love them but they taste more like chocolate covered red hots to me lol If you want something that truly tastes pumpkin spice, go for the Hershey kisses! they are AWESOME!! And candy corn M&Ms are bomb too.

As for TV shows, I’ve been watching through my Gilmore Girls collection recently. Nothing beats a classic like that :)

Have a great day!! :)

13 Courtney October 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Ooooo I actually was not a fan of the candy corn ones…way too sweet for me (which is NOT a normal thing haha)

14 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 2, 2013 at 9:37 am

I don’t think you did bad at all! I have to say my husband brought me home some of the s’more (I love all things s’more) gold fish one time and they are SO addictive! They are now outlawed in my house because I just can’t control myself like you :)
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Hello October and a Response to Your Concerns

15 Ashlee@HisnHers October 2, 2013 at 9:37 am

New Girl is SO funny! I’m still loving Modern Family too. The 1 hour premiere was hilarious and I laughed out loud several times! I LOVE Cesar salad…if you have not tried the Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Cesar dressing pick some up!! It’s 45 calories and everone I make it for always asks me where they can get some. Delicious!

16 Courtney October 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I’ll have to look for that dressing…thanks for the tip!

17 chelcie @ chelcie's food files October 2, 2013 at 9:39 am

justin’s vanilla almond butter is seriously crack. it is SO GOOD. To me, it tastes a lot like frosting!
and new girl is one of my favorite shows right now. I crack up hysterically at every single episode!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Pumpkin “Scramble”

18 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections October 2, 2013 at 9:46 am

Your self control at Dunks amazes me! I stopped by for a snack there yesterday and got a pumpkin donut. What a healthy snack – not!

Your dessert looks so good (and the jammies ;) )!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Pumpkin Recipe Collection

19 Courtney October 2, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Haha I’m not always that good ;)

20 Jennifer Rowe October 2, 2013 at 9:49 am

Your dinner last night is exactly what I had for lunch yesterday – right down to the Arnold’s roll :) I love that recipe (and anything to do with the slow cooker these days!).

21 Lisa October 2, 2013 at 10:09 am

It makes me sad that I’ve never had Dunkin Donuts before, because I hear such awesome things about their coffee. We just don’t have one anywhere near where I live!
New girl is kind of the best, because Jess is so awkward but it kind of rings true to real life how a lot of us can be extremely awkward. Just amazing.
And I love modern family too. A great show.
Lisa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Orange Is The New Black

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 2, 2013 at 10:10 am

Yay, I’m so glad you liked the sandwiches!! We love them over here.

I failed at planning my lunch yesterday, too. I ended up eating at 2:00 pm after getting home from the mall. Addie was sleeping in the car, so I tiptoed into the house, eating up some leftover mashed potatoes, and ate them in the car while playing around on the iPad hahaha! Oh the life of a mommy! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Cinnamon Roll Cake

23 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 2, 2013 at 10:11 am

*heated up, not eating up. But yeah, that too! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Cinnamon Roll Cake

24 Sarah October 2, 2013 at 10:17 am

I love New Girl! The Mindy Project is cute, too. The only new show I’ve caught is The Goldbergs. I thought it was funny; a lot like The Wonder Years, but in the 80s.

25 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life October 2, 2013 at 10:23 am

Oh man that greek yogurt mix looks so good!! I haven’t had yogurt since August because our tiny dorm fridge barely could fit it…. I miss it! :(
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..WIAW 10/2- Apple pie and MAWIDGE

26 Jenny October 2, 2013 at 10:24 am

LOVE the PJ’s!! I was wondering about those M&M’s but havent’ taken the plunge yet.

And I’m upset with you for not giving us a Lucas picture! I need my daily cuteness fix! ;-)
Jenny recently posted..#FightPesticides with Stonyfield

27 Courtney October 2, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Bahaha, sorry! ;)

28 Lauren October 2, 2013 at 10:25 am

We’re definitely on the same wavelength with TV shows. New Girl makes me laugh every single episode and I love The Mindy Show, too! Both are pretty good :D

I can’t believe you don’t like the Pumpkin MMs! I love the subtle hint of spice because I think anything more would make them gross!

29 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health October 2, 2013 at 10:27 am

That’s so funny that looking for that photo brought you back to a memory like that. I think that’s one of the best things about having a blog, it can bring you back to times you might otherwise forget.

I’ve heard New Girl is good but I haven’t seen it yet. I’ll have to check it out. I live Zooey Deschanel.
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Dark Chocolate, Almond & Coconut Hemp Seed Granola

30 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 2, 2013 at 10:29 am

I watched New Girl a little bit when it started, but I lost interest – maybe I should pick it up again! And you’re making me think that I need to get some PB2 again, I ran out a while back but I love the stuff.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: You Know You’re Dining With Bloggers When…

31 Tara@PNWRunner October 2, 2013 at 10:36 am

I love greek yogurt with the works! I mainly use granola or PB2. Perfect evening snack!

32 Sherri October 2, 2013 at 10:44 am

I tried the pumpkin spice M&Ms, too. I didn’t love them straight out of the bag so I did some cookie baking with them. A much better treat. :)

33 Courtney October 2, 2013 at 1:55 pm

That is a great idea!!

34 Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream October 2, 2013 at 11:08 am

I actually had my first egg white flatbread from DD a couple of weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised – it was actually pretty good! Could’ve been WAY worse! And I love love LOVE Caesar salad – you’re making me want to have one right now! :)
-Sammy @ peaceandloveandicecream.blogspot.com

35 Kate October 2, 2013 at 11:16 am

STOP IT, there are pumpkin spice M&Ms? I kind of need to buy these just as a joke for my husband (just for that purpose, obvs…) We were just talking the other night about our favorite Halloween candy and I noted that I was never a big fan of M&Ms. I am, however, a fan of anything pumpkin. Could it finally be love?

36 Laura @losingrace October 2, 2013 at 11:30 am

My meal planning has seriously been lacking lately- need to work on that.

Nashville is definitely on my list- although the season premier wasn’t quite what I expected!
Laura @losingrace recently posted..Proper Taper Technique: NFL style

37 Betsy October 2, 2013 at 11:34 am

I can’t find the pumpkin m&m’s anywhere in Chicago, I’m jealous. I’m watching New Girl this season and I’m really frustrated with Schmidt!

38 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 2, 2013 at 11:34 am

Isn’t Justin’s AB SO stinkin’ good?? I LOVE the maple flavor. I haven’t tried the vanilla flavor yet, but I clearly need to!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..A Nearly Wordless WIAW: October 2, 2013 + Giveaway Winner!

39 Courtney October 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Oh my gosh, YES, you need to. It’s soooooooooooooo good

40 Andrea @pencils and pancakes October 2, 2013 at 11:48 am

I wonder if those m &ms are similar to the carrot cake ones I found this spring. I pined over them for weeks but when I finally bought some the were just okay.
Andrea @pencils and pancakes recently posted..Recipe Development and Blogger Expenses

41 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 2, 2013 at 11:50 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who can go from full to famished in 2.2. Getting caught without food is seriously one of the worst feelings… especially when there’s traffic or line ups involved. And it’s this time of the year that really makes me wish I had cable. With the weather cooling down and the days becoming shorter, it’d be nice to spend more evenings on the couch watching TV…
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … one big snack fe[a]st .

42 Annette@FitnessPerks October 2, 2013 at 11:51 am

Yah I’ve seen that dinner pop up on other blogs–I should def get on that one!

Yay for a mani-pedi. Hope you had a blast :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Modifications I Made While Teaching Fitness Classes During Pregnancy

43 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog October 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I am also a huge fan of Nashville but couldn’t get into New Girl. If you want to watch shows on Amazon or Netflix, you must watch Supermarket Superstar. People compete to get their products on the shelves at A&P. It’s ABSOLUTELY fascinating.

Sad about the Pumpkin Spice M&M’s but that’s good because I’ve been unable to find them anywhere (they’re always sold out).

I love your Greek Yogurt concoction and have been meaning to try it. Perhaps I can break out my Halloween-colored chocolate chips and give it a try!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: Celebrating Fall Flavors

44 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog October 2, 2013 at 1:02 pm

PS – LOVE the Goldfish appearance. You gotta get the Cupcake Flavor.

45 Courtney October 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Haha, I totally thought of you when I posted them! Oh, and I’ve tried the cupcake flavor…wowwwwww. :-P

46 Shel@PeachyPalate October 2, 2013 at 3:24 pm

The jammies look super comfy! I’m such a PJ girl! :) Totally need to check out the post you linked to about your travels…!

47 Heather @fitncookies October 2, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I bought pumpkin Hershey kisses a few weeks ago thinking they’d be good, but I won’t be purchasing them again, either. Some things just shouldn’t change!
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..{Our Wedding} Reception

48 Serena October 2, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I used to think New Girl was the funniest show until I watched the Mindy Project..you have to watch it!

49 kolya October 2, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Check out The Mindy Project! It’s right up there with New Girl in my book (:

50 Ellie@Fit for the soul October 2, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Mmmmm so much good food! You never fail to make me drool, haha. I bought PB2 a few weeks ago and have been loving it! It’s def. not better than the real stuff, but still delicious and fun to eat.
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Your Story is Just as Valuable as My ED Story

51 Amanda October 3, 2013 at 8:58 am

I’ve recently become obsessed with Justin’s Maple Almond Butter…it’s amazinggg! I’ll have to try the vanilla too!

52 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 3, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I love the chicken caesar crockpot sandwiches! I make them all the time! They are SO good :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Disney Villain!…

53 Laura J October 6, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Oh my goodness…this looks amazing! I never thought to add PB! I am going to have to give it a try~