WIAW: Some Bad Planning

Hello and good morning, friends!

I managed to document most of my eats from yesterday, so I’m jumping in on the always fun What I Ate Wednesday. Heeeeere we go!

1 egg + 2 egg whites scrambled with lots of spinach and ketchup, along with a slice of toast with Justin’s vanilla almond butter (oh my goddddd, it’s so good) and coffee

Mid-Morning Snack

A banana plus a handful of homemade trail mix (I used some of the items from my latest iHerb order to make it…and then added some semi-sweet chocolate chips for good measure. Mwahaha)

Alright, so this meal is the perfect example of bad planning. Yesterday afternoon, I had an appointment for a mani-pedi that I bought on Groupon a few months back, so my mom came over to watch Lucas for a few hours. I wound up having my snacks above around 11:30am so I wasn’t super hungry when I left the house just before 1pm.

Wellll, hunger came rather quickly (as I knew it would…what was I thinking?) and since I didn’t have any snacks with me, I needed to make a quick stop. There was a Dunkin’ Donuts right on the way so I grabbed an egg white veggie flatbread sandwich.

FYI: That’s totally a recycled photo from THIS post, which made me laugh. That was just the start of one of the worst travel experiences I’ve ever had in my entire life.

I mean, it could have been worse (hello, pumpkin muffin/donut/munchkins) but it could have been better too. Ahh well.

Aaaaaand just because I felt like it, I also ordered myself a french vanilla coffee coolatta made with skim milk. I couldn’t tell you the last time I had one of the coffee ones, but this one totally hit the spot.

Also a recycled photo from THIS post. Winking smile

I decided to try out a new-to-us recipe that I’d had pinned for a little while now…Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches. I’d seen both Ashley and Kristen talk about them on numerous occasions so I figured they must be awesome.

Well…they are definitely awesome. I served ours on some sandwich thins, along with some side Caesar salads. Hey, why not go all out, right?

(That’s two dinners in a row again so far this week – WOOT!)

Shortly after dinner, I wound up snacking on some pumpkin spice M&M’s (yep, that was my purchase last week!). They’re good, but I’m not sure I’m suuuuuuper crazy for them.

Then once Lucas was to bed (we tried a slightly earlier bedtime – 8pm – and it worked out great) I had my usual after-dinner snack as of late.

(I know you guys are diggin’ my super cool jammies)

A vanilla Greek yogurt mixed with PB2, mini chocolate chips (about 1/2 tbsp) and a couple random goldfish crackers (they’re cookies ‘n’ cream flavor) that I found in the cabinet. Sooo, so good, and was thoroughly enjoyed shortly before watching last night’s episode of New Girl. Seriously guys…Jay and I laugh out loud more at that show than any other one in our lineup. It is THE best!

How many of you watch New Girl? Any other shows you’re totally loving so far this season? (I’m also still totally in love with Modern Family, The Voice, and Nashville).

Alright, I’m off to squeeze in a workout while Lucas is still napping…catch ya later!!

LOVE New Girl! So funny! I am happy Jess and Nick are finally together too.
    I need to try those Chicken Caesar sandwiches, maybe next week. They do look yummy!
    I hate that when you are not prepared end up over hungry have to grab something and its meh… happens to me all the time right now (I am 35w pregnant).

2. Stacey M. says

I’ve been wanting to try those slow cooker chicken sandwiches, and now I think I definitely HAVE to … they look amazing. Just curious, what brand of caesar dressing did you use? Also, did you use chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken?
    I also have to try your favorite “dessert” sometime … I have a couple jars of PB2 in the cupboard at home that I haven’t touched in a while. Sounds like I have a reason to use it now.
    Have a great day Courtney!

• Courtney says

I used Ken’s light Caesar and we really, really like it! As for the chicken, I used boneless, skinless thighs that were on sale. They were good, and I liked how they were a bit cheaper, but to be honest, they were still pretty fatty and pretty gross when trimming lol

• Stacey M. says

Thanks for the info! I’ll have to look for that dressing when I’m in the store next time. And I know what you mean about the chicken – trimming it is just one of those things I dread! LOL I’ll see what I can do with the boneless, skinless breasts. They tend to be a little less fatty.

3. Lauren says

Oh wow, your poor planning days are like a GREAT one for me!! haha And agreed on the Pumpkin Spice M&Ms…I thought I’d love them but they taste more like chocolate covered red hots to me lol If you want something that truly tastes pumpkin spice, go for the Hershey kisses! they are AWESOME!! And candy corn M&Ms are bomb too.

As for TV shows, I’ve been watching through my Gilmore Girls collection recently. Nothing beats a classic like that :)

Have a great day!! :)

• Courtney says

Ooooo I actually was not a fan of the candy corn ones…way too sweet for me (which is NOT a normal thing haha)

New Girl is SO funny! I’m still loving Modern Family too. The 1 hour premiere was hilarious and I laughed out loud several times! I LOVE Cesar salad…if you have not tried the Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Cesar dressing pick some up!! It’s 45 calories and everone I make it for always asks me where they can get some. Delicious!

5. Jennifer Rowe says

Your dinner last night is exactly what I had for lunch yesterday – right down to the Arnold’s roll :) I love that recipe (and anything to do with the slow cooker these days!).

It makes me sad that I’ve never had Dunkin Donuts before, because I hear such awesome things about their coffee. We just don’t have one anywhere near where I live!
    New girl is kind of the best, because Jess is so awkward but it kind of rings true to real life how a lot of us can be extremely awkward. Just amazing.
    And I love modern family too. A great show.
    Lisa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Orange Is The New Black

Yay, I’m so glad you liked the sandwiches!! We love them over here.

I failed at planning my lunch yesterday, too. I ended up eating at 2:00 pm after getting home from the mall. Addie was sleeping in the car, so I tiptoed into the house, eating up some leftover mashed potatoes, and ate them in the car while playing around on the iPad hahaha! Oh the life of a mommy! 😉
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Cinnamon Roll Cake

8. Sarah says

I love New Girl! The Mindy Project is cute, too. The only new show I’ve caught is The Goldbergs. I thought it was funny; a lot like The Wonder Years, but in the 80s.

We’re definitely on the same wavelength with TV shows. New Girl makes me laugh every single episode and I love The Mindy Show, too! Both are pretty good 😀

I can’t believe you don’t like the Pumpkin MMs! I love the subtle hint of spice because I think anything more would make them gross!

10. Sherri says

I tried the pumpkin spice M&Ms, too. I didn’t love them straight out of the bag so I did some cookie baking with them. A much better treat. :)

I actually had my first egg white flatbread from DD a couple of weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised – it was actually pretty good! Could’ve been WAY worse! And I love love LOVE Caesar salad – you’re making me want to have one right now! :)
    -Sammy @ peaceandloveandicecream.blogspot.com

12. Kate says

STOP IT, there are pumpkin spice M&Ms? I kind of need to buy these just as a joke for my husband (just for that purpose, obvs…) We were just talking the other night about our favorite Halloween candy and I noted that I was never a big fan of M&Ms. I am, however, a fan of anything pumpkin. Could it finally be love?

13. Betsy says

I can’t find the pumpkin m&m’s anywhere in Chicago, I’m jealous. I’m watching New Girl this season and I’m really frustrated with Schmidt!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who can go from full to famished in 2.2. Getting caught without food is seriously one of the worst feelings… especially when there’s traffic or line ups involved. And it’s this time of the year that really makes me wish I had cable. With the weather cooling down and the days becoming shorter, it’d be nice to spend more evenings on the couch watching TV…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … one big snack fe[a]st .

I am also a huge fan of Nashville but couldn’t get into New Girl. If you want to watch shows on Amazon or Netflix, you must watch Supermarket Superstar. People compete to get their products on the shelves at A&P. It’s ABSOLUTELY fascinating.

Sad about the Pumpkin Spice M&M’s but that’s good because I’ve been unable to find them anywhere (they’re always sold out).

I love your Greek Yogurt concoction and have been meaning to try it. Perhaps I can break out my Halloween-colored chocolate chips and give it a try!
    Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: Celebrating Fall Flavors

16. Amanda says

I’ve recently become obsessed with Justin’s Maple Almond Butter…it’s amazinggg! I’ll have to try the vanilla too!