Fun Facts Friday {10/4}

1. I should have known better than to mention anything at all about Lucas’s sleep schedule yesterday. Sure enough, he switched things up on me last night…and not for the better. Oooof.

2. The other night, I went to pop a Gas X pill out of the foil thingy it comes in (yeah, you guys saw that salad) and the edge of the foil went and dug right down underneath my thumbnail. You wanna talk about an annoying yet intense pain? Yowsahs.

3. Tomorrow is Fall Festival! It’s always such a good time and I’m so excited to go apple picking and eat ALL the pumpkin things, but I’m more excited to dress Lucas in his outfit I have picked out. And then I’ll be even more excited to start baking with apples…helloooo, my favorite apple crisp!

4. After reading through all of the comments in yesterday’s post (thank you, by the way!), I am amazed at just how many of you manage to workout on your lunch hour. Maybe I’m just a sweaty beast, or just too high maintenance to be able to have time to workout AND shower, but I don’t know how you do it. I feel like I’d just be stinkin’ up the office all afternoon long.

5. I want to bake this bread so, so badly today but I don’t have any ripe bananas. Don’t you hate when that happens?

6. I’m currently boycotting all baby/parenting books. I was talking about it with my friend Shayla the other day and honestly, sometimes they just cause me more anxiety than if I wasn’t reading them. While some absolutely offer some great tips and advice, sometimes when Lucas doesn’t follow things “exactly like they tell you they will,” it gets frustrating. So yeah, for now, I’m wingin’ it. And I’m sure he’s gonna be juuuuuust fine.

7. I seriously LOVE the show Nashville. We just watched this week’s episode last night and I can’t get enough. Although I’m not sure how I feel about Oliver Hudson being a bad guy…I’m too used to his character on Rules of Engagement.

8. Trying to pick a Halloween costume for Lucas is proving to be a challenge. They’re all just so stinkin’ cute, but man, are they expensive!

9. Lucas and I wound up going for an hour-long walk yesterday afternoon and it was just perfect. The air was crisp, the leaves are changing…so cliché, but I just love love love fall.

10. Out of nowhere yesterday, I got the biggest craving for a McDonald’s Dulce de Leche caramel shake. Jay brought them home for us once shortly after we got home from the hospital and it was one of the best shakes I’d ever had. Apparently, the craving still isn’t gone since I’m sitting here telling you all about it this morning still. Need to get my hands on one ASAP.

Happy FRIDAY, friends! Hope everyone has a great day and weekend ahead!

Comments

1. Jacqui says

You should check out Old Navy for baby costumes, I saw some wicked cute ones last year and I’m sure they’d be less expensive.

2. Jennifer says

Check out Costco for costumes if you have one nearby. I got one for my 4-month old for $13! (She’s going to be a strawberry :))

I’m with you on the parenting books. I haven’t read many either, I figure the pioneer women didn’t read 20+ books on parenting and their children lived, so mine will too. I just do what I feel is best daily and for now it works for us!
    Eryn @ Blondmindedbrunette recently posted..Unproductive Week

Ugh, I hear you on the parenting books. I’ve read bits and pieces of a couple, but they actually give me more anxiety than anything. I put it down and think of all the things I have done “wrong”, and end up feeling worse than when I started! Or so many suggestions of things that I just don’t think are a good fit for our family. My doctor told me to just follow my instincts, and that seems to be working best. Much less stressful, and much MORE enjoyable. Glad to see you are feeling the same! :)
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Breaking Up With A Bad Mood

I totally agree about the baby books. Although, reading a couple books helped me A LOT since I was pretty clueless at the beginning. I think I would’ve been lost without Happiest Baby on the Block and BabyWise. I just accepted that it wouldn’t go perfectly and followed their advice the best I could.

Check out Halloween costumes at Old Navy and Costco! Costco has some Carter’s ones that are super cute for like 12 bucks. I ended up just borrowing one from a friend because you’re right, they’re pretty pricey, especially when I know Hunter will only wear his for a few hours!
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Hunter: 6 Months

6. Amanda says

Ahh, your point 2 made me cringe! One time, and I can’t even tell you how this happened, I must have brushed my thumb strangely on the side of a wooden door, but I got a splinter UNDER my thumbnail! And what’s even more embarrassing was I had to go to the emergency room for them to numb my thumb and remove it – not one of my finest moments for sure!

I wish I had a lunch hour to work out in. We do not get breaks or a lunch hour. We eat all meals at our desks while working :/

When we buy bananas I always tend to buy too many, oops. But when they are starting to go bad I will put them in a Ziploc and freeze them. I always have a full bag of bananas in the freezer for when I have a crazing to make bread or other banana recipes :)
    Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..5 on Friday

Brandon and I watched Nashville for a bit, but we stopped because it felt too much like a soap opera! I liked some of the story lines, but I couldn’t stand how it left you wondering each week! Of course, now I’m watching Hostages, which does the same thing! Go figure! ;)
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Fun Friday #2

You should definitely treat yourself to a car ride with the little guy to get yourself a milkshake! They have some sort of praline and cream shake now, too! And I have been shopping for a pet costume (poor Elmo) and can’t believe how expensive they can be, too! It’s such a small piece of fabric but my gosh!

I’m surprised so many people work out on their lunch hour too! I guess shorter workouts? I find I usually end up spending at least an hour working out, which includes 10 or so minutes of stretching (much needed because I tend to get IT band injuries), so I can’t imagine fitting in walking to the gym, changing, working out, showering, changing and going back all in an hour!

Definitely treat yourself to a milkshake!
    And picking Halloween costumes is always such a hard challenge! I can imagine it being even harder for a little one, because you’re right they are all the cutest thing ever.
    I hate to say this, since I feel bad, but I’ve been looking for a costume for my dog and I can’t pick either because they are all adorable.
    Have fun at Fall festival tomorrow! I love festivals like that, they are always a ton of fun.
    Lisa recently posted..Love Yourself

I Don’t know how people do it on their lunch break, either! I am so sweaty when I work out, and feel like I would be miserable the rest of the afternoon after haha

I agree with you about parenting books; though I don’t have a child, I know from reading other things that no one is alike, and it’s too easy to fall into a comparison trap and thing something is wrong!

I want to start nashville! I haven’t seen any yet, but I think I’m going to catch up on them!
    Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Pittsburgh Sports and a Photo Dump {Five Things Friday}

I love the idea of organizing an annual fall festival. This is -easily- my favourite time of the year, and while I’ve already been enjoying plenty of fall-themed activities, it’d be nice to share that with some other people. And as cliche as it may sound, crisp air and beautiful colours ARE some of the best things about fall. Well, that and the food of course ;) That pumpkin banana bread sounds amazing, and I just so happy to have plenty of ripe bananas sitting on my counter…

14. julie says

I definitely agree on the book front! (Along with many others, i see above.)

Somebody gave me a sleep book shortly after i had my first daughter & it made me feel like i was an awful parent (she just was not much of a napper i’m afraid — and certainly not consistent about anything!).

With my second daughter i was WAY more relaxed because i finally realized that eventually everything will click, you just have to ride the wave until it does. (As much as i’d like to think i have control over my kids, they’re kind of like Tupperware. You can try to cram them into a new shape, but eventually they bounce right back out. Perhaps some kids are more flexible???)

In terms of working out, i do workout during my lunch hour because we have a shower here at my office. I spend the rest of the day with pretty sad-looking hair, but it’s worth it!

I thought it was so funny you mentioned Oliver Hudson from Nashville. We just saw it last night, and was so shocked he was in it. What an evil person he’s going to be in the show. We LOVED Rules of Engagement, so sad the season is cancelled. He was so goofy in that show, and now to see him in jeans and flip flops and his character is so different. Still not sure how I feel about it. :)
    Melissa @ Forloveandtravel recently posted..Weekend Update {9/30}

• Catherine says

Love your suggestion about breaking up workouts to 15 minutes. When you’re a busy mom, that seems much more manageable!

Good for you on parenting with your instincts and not how a book tells you to do it!! All babies and moms are different which means not one certain “technique” will work for everyone!

I have never in my life made anything with baked apple. Crazy, huh!! I think I am going to change that this season and make my very first apple crisp…topped with some vanilla ice cream. Damn, talk about a craving now!!!
    Suzanne @ Mix it Mom recently posted..I Win at the Mom Fail

17. Katie says

I hear you on the boycotting… When Drake was first born I tried to keep up with reading them and then suddenly I just decided I’ll follow my “gut”! Works much better ;) We also have been walking nonstop over here too…Fall is the BEST! Happy Weekend!!!

Heck YES to #6! I just read one (Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby) and it made me crazy and paranoid. Today I’m doing just what you said – following my gut and watching for her sleeping cues. We’re also keeping it chill and staying home for most of the day instead of running errands.

I have the exact same feelings towards parenting books. I feel as if there IS such a thing as too much information. I use my instincts and my Pediatrician and I get along just fine.

Also, not sure how you feel about buying second hand stuff, but we found Henry’s Halloween costume and Once Upon a Child which is a children’s consignment shop. Most of their outfits are around $9. I didn’t feel as guilty buying it knowing he’d probably only wear it for a short time :)
    Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Introducing…

20. crystal d. says

Hey! I am not into those parenting books much either. I have been winging it for the last 6 months and Michael is juuuuust fine!!! Ha! Try Carter’s baby store for costumes. We got ours there (a little monster costume) and it was 40% off so it was like $20 I think or less. I saw that they are 60% off now. Not sure if there is one in your area but you can also order online! Have fun this weekend!!!

Oh mannn! I’m so so excited that you feel the same way I do about parenting books, Courtney! I was starting to feel a liiiiiitle bit bad for not reading them very much and thought it was probably wrong of me. I only read a few pages here and there whenever I need something to refer to quickly and it’s What to Expect in the 1st Year. But other than that I’m just wingin’ it as well. :D Go you, hah! And I don’t know what it is with me but since pregnancy I’ve been liking certain things I was never fond of–like McD’s chocolate dipped cone! Have a beautiful and blessed day <3
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Updating Recipes+GF Pancakes with Pumpkin Frosting

Nashville is such a good show, I’m a huge Hayden P. fan for some weird reason so that helps.

I don’t have a child- but I will say I know that if I do I will have to stop reading books about it at some point- I feel like it would drive me crazy with worry all the time, constantly comparing everything to what a book says.

Have a great weekend! Who knows maybe you will randomly find a super cute (and on sale) costume for Lucas!
    Laura @losingrace recently posted..Hold on to your hats…and other complete randomness

23. Kate says

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT! THAT’S WHO THAT GUY IS! It was driving me crazy while I was watching Nashville — thank you!

I need to make pumpkin bread soooooon! It sounds so delicious right about now with fall being here & stuff.

Have fun at the fall festival!

I don’t know when baby girl will be here, so I can’t buy her a costume yet. But they’re all so so adorbs!
    Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Confessions {8}

I could never work out on my lunch break – not enough time to warm up, workout, cool down, then shower, and be work-ready…not gonna happen! And I started reading “baby books” when I was like 1 month pregnant with my first and continued reading into the first year. You get so caught up on the things they ‘aren’t doing’ that you end up driving yourself nuts! With the second one I read nothing, happily!! :)
    -Sammy @ peaceandloveandicecream.blogspot.com
    Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream recently posted..Weekly Weigh In

26. Brenda says

I’m totally with you on winging it with the baby rearing. I read What to Expect in the First Year the first month of my son’s life and was so freaked out that he wasn’t meeting milestones. I put away all parenting books and have been winging it since. It’s so much more refreshing to just go with what feels right and to trust that all kids are different and will develop at their own rate.

Plus, I operate under the assumption that as long as a child is read to and gets to play outside, he will grow up just fine.

27. Lisa says

I did the same thing with baby books. I read the ‘what to expect’ and kept them around to maybe glance at, but I found my sister and some friends who I would I would ask if I needed help or reassurance. Too much reading drives us crazy and only makes you feel like you’re doing everything ‘wrong’. you have the right idea, just go with your gut :)

28. Nala says

Hi Courtney – you sound like you are going to have a really fun Fall – I’m sure it will be special since this is your first fall with Lucas! I looking forward to eating all the pumpking things too!! Thanks to you mentioning the Caramel Shake – which I hope you got =P I decided to get a caramel apple shake from steak n shake….so good. I hope you figure out how to figure in working out when you start work!

29. Tricia says

Just a suggestion for baby costumes (costumes through toddler age actually) – other than Old Navy, which has some great ones – try one of the local kids’ consignment shops or sales. There’s a HUGE sale in Halfmoon this weekend and you can get really incredible deals on gently-used and sometimes brand new clothes, toys, baby gear – and Halloween costumes.

I merely such as the useful details you supply in your content articles. I will save the blog site and check once more in this article usually. I am reasonably sure I are going to be advised numerous innovative material appropriate the following! Have fun for the next!