Lucas: 2 Months

by Courtney on October 6, 2013

Somebody’s getting big! And things just keep getting better and better.

Lucas 2 months

Although it doesn’t always seem like it as it’s happening, I can already see such huge differences between the first and second month with Lucas. Looking back, that first month was hard. There’s really no other way to put it. And it’s not even that we have an overly challenging baby by any means. I mean, all babies can be challenging, don’t get me wrong. But for me, the real challenge, in fact, was dealing with all of those post-partum hormones.

I think it took me until about six weeks to actually feel 95% like myself. I’m not sure when I’ll ever get back to that 100%, because there are still days where I’m an emotional wreck out of nowhere, can cry at the sight of a Cheerios commercial, or weep at the wounds of a random country song. Maybe it just comes with the mommy hood territory, I don’t know? But I will say, it certainly gets better and I am feeling really, really great these days.

BUT…enough about me. There’s a little cutie to talk about.

IMG_5173IMG_5200

(You can see where I got his monthly onesie stickers HERE, and you can also use code BBB15 to get 15% off any bundle from Baby Bump Bundle. No affiliate link – just sharing the love!)

The second month with Lucas was great, and I think the most amazing part was/has been seeing his little personality begin to shine through. Although our evening visitors may think I’m crazy to say this (because why does it always work out that they’re cranky when you have visitors??), Lucas is generally a very happy little boy.

Most mornings, I’m greeted with ear to ear smiles that just light up my world. I mean, what better way is there to start off the day? And some mornings I go in to see him and I swear he grew a ton overnight.

He’s constantly “talking” with Jay and I, making all sort of fun “coos” and “aahhs.” He also does this thing where he breathes in really quick and excited, which almost sounds like half a laugh and cracks us up. Within the last couple of weeks or so, he’s also started imitating us when we stick our tongue out at him. I think him and dad like playing that game just about every time they hang out. I love it.

Other fun facts about Mr. Lucas at two months:

• He still spits up…a lot. Sometimes it’s scary just how much comes out of that little mouth of his, but then he just looks up and smiles at me and puts this crazy mama at ease. His pediatrician says it’s very normal still, so as long as he doesn’t seem bothered by it, we’re just stocking up on (but never seem to have enough of) bibs and burp cloths.
  • He doesn’t love tummy time. And trying to figure out the most “ideal” time to do it is a challenge…too soon after he eats and he winds up face planting in his own spit up. Too close to nap time and he wants nothing to do with it. But we still manage to squeeze at least a few minutes in every day.

• He’s not the greatest napper, and for now, I’m just working on accepting that. I’ve read the books, I’ve tried it all, and he’s just not a “textbook” napper. If he’s going to give us a good nap, it’ll be his morning one. But most of the time, getting an hour in at once is cause for celebration.
  • He’s sleeping pretty good at night – we usually begin his bedtime routine at 7:30 (bath, feed, book, bed), he’ll get up once during the night, anywhere between 1:30-3:30am, and then wake up usually around 7am.
  • He loves looking at himself in the mirror on his play mat. It’s so funny to watch.
  • At his two-month checkup, he weighed in at 11lbs 8 oz (50th percentile), and measured 24 inches long (~85th percentile). Everyone always comments on how long he is…and it’s true. He is a long one! We’re slowly chunking him up though. Winking smile

• He doesn’t like the be held in the typical “baby cradle” position. He’d much rather be up on the shoulder or be held facing forward in front of our stomach. He likes to see what’s going on around him.
  • He loves, loves, LOVES playing airplane with dad.
  • He’s a great eater. We’ve been extremely lucky with breastfeeding, and it’s gone very, very well since the beginning. While I do plan on pumping once I’m back to work, I’m  hoping it will all continue to work out just as well as it has been.
  • We’ve had to pack away most of his newborn clothes, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t shed a tear or two. As excited as I am to continue to watch him grow, it sometimes makes me sad to see just how fast he’s already growing.

We really consider ourselves so lucky to have been blessed with such a happy, healthy baby boy. He may have only been in our lives two months, but I already can’t even imagine life without him. He really is the joy of our lives and we just love him to pieces.

1 Shel@PeachyPalate October 6, 2013 at 4:25 pm

2 months has flown by!!! He really is so adorable! Great to have a little update from you as well mind you!!! Don’t feel you have to or should hold back, hearing about the ups and downs of motherhood puts if all in perspective for mothers and mothers to be….all in the same boat!!! :)
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Pizza Night & Lunch!

2 julie @ peanut butter fingers October 6, 2013 at 4:32 pm

oh, courtney, lucas is the most adorable little boy. i loved reading this recap. the love you have for him is so apparent in every post you publish! <3
julie @ peanut butter fingers recently posted..New Brunswick Wedding Weekend Kickoff

3 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 6, 2013 at 4:47 pm

You can really feel the love that you and Jay have for him! Seriously such an adorable baby boy, and happy to hear that he’s been so healthy and happy for you guys!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Weekly Eats and Workouts 10/06.

4 Becky@TheSavedRunner October 6, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Oh my goodness, Lucas is seriously so cute! I am glad the second month was easier than the first. I can’t imagine having a child, but I know everything will change!

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 6, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I love these updates!!! I cannot believe he’s 2 months already. Time is flying by. Addie will be 6 months in just over a week, and my head spins thinking about it!

Thanks for being honest about your emotional struggles the first 6 weeks. I think I already told you, but I was the same way. Right around 5 1/2 weeks, I felt like a fog finally lifted. It still took me a little while more to feel totally back to normal. But it’s safe to say I’m 100% again. Of course, I’m not exactly the same person that I used to be, but I’d say I’m an even better version of myself. ;) And I know you’ll feel the same way!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Fun Friday #2

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 6, 2013 at 4:58 pm

And P.S. He’s super cute, too. But I think that goes without saying! ;)

7 Leilani October 6, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I think he is the most delicious of sweets
You have ever posted!!! What a cutie!

8 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 6, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I just love him. :) What a cutie! I can relate all too well to everything you’re saying here. It really does just get better and better… But then it’s also kinda sad to see them grow up so fast! I swear becoming a mommy has made me a total sap! I’m sure some of it has to do with hormones, but I think a lot of it is just experiencing a love that we’ve never felt before. :) I’m so happy for you and it’s so great to hear that everything is going so well! xoxo
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..10/06/13: Food & Fitness for the Week

9 Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl October 6, 2013 at 5:24 pm

awww I can’t imagine the love for a child. I can’t wait. You seem sooo happy and you are so lucky to have him!
Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl recently posted..Fun Facts Friday 10/4

10 Krystan October 6, 2013 at 5:31 pm

He is really starting to look like a little man! I have also been loving seeing our little ones personality come out each day. And I am totally with you on the napping…I started out more strict on the babywise method, but he become such a good night sleeper, and sometimes would just not sleep long enough (30-45 mins) during his afternoon nap. And then there are days when he sleeps for 3 hours in the late afternoon. I have just started to go more with the flow and let him dictate the schedule. I think it’s good to let Lucas dictate what he needs and as long as they aren’t grumpy babies, who care?!? The only hard part is trying to get anything done in 45 mins, lol.

11 Sara October 6, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Courtney this is fantastic. I am so happy for you guys. I know what you mean about the post partum stuff. My little one is going to be 6 weeks old and I’m (like you) just starting to feel kinda normal.

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 6, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Awwwr gush — what an absolute cutie. I can’t even imagine how amazing it must be to be a mom. You’re lucky to have him; and, of course, he’s very lucky to have you as well :)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... link love 10/6 .

13 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life October 6, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Wow, 2 months already?! Times flies when you’re having fun! ;) What a cutie!!
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..Fall 2013 Survey

14 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 6, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Happy two months Lucas! Time certainly does fly by! I loved reading this recap and look forward to hearing more about the little cutie. The pic of Lucas and the monkey is SO adorable!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Total Body Pilates DVD Review

15 Kristi October 6, 2013 at 6:28 pm

He’s getting so big! I love his 2 month old picture. He looks adorable.
Kristi recently posted..Peanut Butter and Apples

16 Kristine October 6, 2013 at 6:50 pm

He’s such a handsome little man Courtney! So happy for you guys :)

17 Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream October 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm

What a sweet little boy! I feel like I was just in your shoes with a 2 month old – now my oldest one just turned 4!! Time flies!! And he was the BIGGEST spitter upper too! But a happy one – so like yours, my doctor said it was all good! :)
-Sammy @ peaceandloveandicecream.blogspot.com
Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream recently posted..First Official “F” as a blogger

18 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes October 6, 2013 at 8:49 pm

It keeps getting easier! And every stage is better than the last! You have a lot to look forward to :-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Two ingredient chocolate kale chips and Friday favorites!

19 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen October 6, 2013 at 8:58 pm

OMG! He is such a cutie!! :) Can’t believe 2 months has flown that fast!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Super Sweaty 60 Minute Complete Body Circuit

20 Danica @ It's Progression October 6, 2013 at 9:06 pm

He’s just such a cutie!! It sounds like he’s sleeping really pretty well at night for you too – yay! :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..workout log 9/29 – 10/5

21 Sara October 7, 2013 at 1:33 am

I am a new mom myself to a healthy little boy and was recently referred to your blog. I just wanted to say that reading your story helps others such as myself feel like they are not the only ones. It’s refreshing! I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog, your a fun writer. Thanks ;)

22 Caroline October 7, 2013 at 8:18 am

Could he be any cuter? I can’t believe how big he’s getting :)

23 Lauri October 7, 2013 at 9:39 am

he is adorable!! And you are doing great. Good fro you for admitting it took a full 6 months to feel almost normal. I think a lot of new moms try to act like Supermom from the get go but really we are all just trying to survive those first few weeks/months…

And if you’re talking about the “Nana” Cheerios commerical, I don’t blame you for crying! Gets me everytime! Partially b/c I miss my own Nana but also my mom is “Nana” to my 5 year old and the kid in the commercial reminds me of him and the way he thinks…it’s exactly something my son would say :) That commercial kills me!!
Lauri recently posted..2013 (So far) in Iphone photos

24 Jenny October 7, 2013 at 9:48 am

Such a handsome boy!! Time is flying by!! Love seeing the updates. you guys are awesome parents and have taken the craziness of being new parents with stride!
Jenny recently posted..Harvest Your Health! {e-book Bundle Sale – 71 books, 97% off}

25 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog October 7, 2013 at 10:22 am

I can only imagine the hormonal things that will happen to me when I become a mother. I mean, I cry at Cheerio commercials and country music songs right now with no baby…so when baby comes….emotional meltdowns here we come!

I really appreciate your honesty in these posts. I feel like I learn so much, and I hope these posts are still up for me to reference when I become a momma ;-)
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..5 Workouts You Can Do Anywhere

26 Erika October 7, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Time flies and soon you won’t even remember those times which is kinda sad. Enjoy it – even the fussy times :) (which are totally normal for babies to have and mostly in the evenings).

I don’t know many babies that like tummy time – I would suggest rolling up a blanket and putting it under this chest/shoulders to prop him up a little bit and gradually take it away.

27 Annette@FitnessPerks October 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Such a cutie!! I can’t wait to have my lil’ girl in my arms soon!

28 Kelly October 7, 2013 at 6:42 pm

That smile is priceless :-)
Kelly recently posted..A Weekend in Pictures

29 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 7, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Look at that big guy!!!! He’s adorable. We have the same time with tummy time. The girls spit up if I put them down on their stomachs (or backs) too soon after eating, and right now they are only awake for so long after they eat. Plus Brooklyn hates it and ends up rolling over like thirty seconds after I put her on her stomach because she’s determined to get off her tummy. She’s a stubborn one!

30 Danielle October 8, 2013 at 6:47 am

What a little cutie he is! Time does fly, my little guy is almost two and it feels like just yesterday he was 2 months! I haven’t heard of too many babies that love tummy time, but we do our best, right?
Danielle recently posted..Fat Sandwich

31 Ali October 8, 2013 at 11:14 am

He’s sleeping at night like a champ! That’s wonderful. I went to a sleep support group when Aiden was 4 months and they told me that babies don’t nap like we think babies nap until they are about 6 months. That’s when a schedule is important. Until then, it’s just all up in the air. That fared pretty true for us with Aiden. Keep up with the tummy time. Aiden didn’t like it either, but it did help him a ton with development.

32 Michelle @ Baby Bump Bundle October 8, 2013 at 3:09 pm

YAY ! Love seeing him grow each month! Sounds like things are going well – so happy for you !
Michelle @ Baby Bump Bundle recently posted..Baby Hugh loves…sleeping through the night FINALLY!