WIAW: Technically Cheating

Yesterday was exhausting. Whew.

Lucas was having another one of his “I’m too cool for naps” days, so that meant very little time for anything else for this mama. Usually when he’s had these days in the past, he’s still in a pretty good mood, but not yesterday. He was grumpy for a good majority of the afternoon and really only seemed content when mom was holding him…but we couldn’t be sitting. Oh no…we had to be standing. So while I may have missed out on my planned workout, I certainly wasn’t sitting around like a couch potato!

I’m still sort of playing along with WIAW today, but it’s a mash up of things from Monday AND Tuesday. So I guess, technically, I’m cheating. Oh well. Winking smile

Breakfast

This was yesterday’s breakfast – frosted shredded wheat with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and banana slices.

I also enjoyed my morning cup of pumpkin coffee while Lucas played on his play mat. This was before the boycotting of naps began for the day.

Lunch

This was part of my lunch on Monday and boy, was it delicious. Just check out that color!

Mixed greens, cucumber, grape tomatoes, carrots, and avocado. I also wound up having a piece of toast with PB&J a couple hours later since the salad wasn’t super substantial.

Necessary Afternoon Coffee

This one was from yesterday. Around noon time I had to head out to run a couple of errands, and while we were out Lucas wound up falling asleep in his car seat.

Although he has managed to sleep through the car to house exchange, I didn’t want to risk it given his lack of sleep, so I just continued to drive. I got through all of my errands, grabbed the coffee at the drive-thru, and then just continued hanging out in the car until he woke up about 40 minutes later. Ohh, the things we do! Winking smile

Dinner

This dinner was from Monday…a baked sweet potato, which tasted amaaaaazing, frozen green beans and almonds, and baked cod which was actually pretty awful.

I found a recipe from allrecipes, but Jay and I decided we didn’t think it was the recipe that was bad…we think it was the fish. It just smelled way too “fishy” and just didn’t taste right. We each wound up having a few bites then just threw out the rest. Such a bummer, but blech. The house still smelled like fish yesterday too…not exactly a good sign of fresh fish, eh?

Dessert

Ohh, you guys know I’m loving my yogurt dessert still!

Mixed with the usual PB2, mini chocolate chips, and Cascadian Farms Cinnamon Crunch cereal, which I received in the mail a couple of weeks ago. It’s yummy (reminds me a lot of cinnamon toast crunch cereal) but better for me as a dessert rather than breakfast.

That’s all I’ve got for ya for food pics, my friends. So before signing off, I’ll leave ya with one of my new favorite pictures of Lucas.

Jay shared that on his Instagram the other day and I just love it. My happy little (growing!) boy. <3

Comments

Oh man I ate the smell of fish. Especially when someone cooks it at work! Thats the biggest office no no ever, right?
    Lucas is starting to look like you a little! i dont see JUST Jay when I look at his pictures anymore.

When my sister was a baby, there were numerous times where we would have to drive around town to keep her from crying. And we knew were headed for trouble anytime a traffic light turned red. It’s still a funny story (well, now it is!) that we tell in our family.

I love the Lucas pics – keep em’ coming :-)

You’re not cheating – you’re a mom so you’re allowed to combine as many days as you want.

Iced coffee makes my mouth water no matter what time of day it is. Nobody does it like Dunkin. Have you ever tried the regular coffee with a bit of skim milk and one pump of pumpkin?? SO GOOD. Try it :-)

Love the sugar cereal making an appearance on your yogurt. I just bought Cap N’ Crunch Cinnamon Roll flavor. Kid at heart – that’s for sure!
    Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: I Got a Schedule, Yo!

Hey, as long as you can swing by Dunkin’ Donuts and enjoy some iced coffee… Long car rides to keep the baby happy are totally worth it! I’m glad the “bad day” is over and you made it through it. There’s always going to be some now and then!

Lucas is so sweet. Too bad about him not taking his naps. I think babies just seem to go through those phases sometimes.
    I remember nannying and the baby would sometimes go through phases of just not napping.
    At least there’s coffee to help out in these times:)

6. Alaina says

I had a similar cod experience two weeks ago when I made the recipe you posted. Well, in theory, the recipe would have been tasty, but I prepared the fish in the morning without cooking it and left it in the fridge until that night to cook. B.A.D. I.D.E.A. My fridge and home smelled like fish for at least a week and everything put in the fridge also smelled life fish. Poor husband had to wash the inside of the fridge down really well and disinfect the house since this preggo mama wasn’t getting close to those fumes. ; ) Needless to say, I will NEVER make cod again. I’ll stick with the less stinkier tilapia or flounder.

Muahahaha I just love how I’m not the only “weirdo” of a mom! No offense at all to all moms out there, btw. But it’s funny how I can relate to the little things I do with Selah too, like IF she happened to fall asleep at the end of her car ride, then I reaaalllly quietly take her into the house and leave her in the seat until she wakes up–but if that happens it’s only for about 10-15 minutes. :P And I guess Lucas is just very alert and aware of things, seeing as how he doesn’t want to nap much.
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Food Trends that Actually Work

If we’re driving right around Hunter’s nap time, he totally zonks out. Rather than waiting in the car, I have a carseat canopy that I cover him with and just lift his carseat out of the car and go set it in his room without waking him so he can finish his nap and I can get things done inside. It works pretty nicely. ;)

I still need to try out that yogurt/PB2 combo. It always sounds so good to me!

Hope Lucas naps better for you today! xo
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Photo An Hour (+WIAW)

Fingers crossed that he’s a little more eager to sleep for you today! And Eric was telling me the other day about how his dad told him that when he was a baby and was too fussy to sleep, he’d just buckle Eric into his car seat and go for a drive – he’d pass out pretty much instantly. I’ve also noticed that my dog is super calm on car rides – something about the motion just makes little creatures pass out, apparently! :-p
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Pictured Versus Not Pictured.

10. Kathryn says

When my daughter was a baby, she’d fall asleep so fast in the car, often I could strap her in and just drive around the block twice. As long as I kept her in her car seat, she’d stay asleep, but if I tried to take her out, she’d wake up after 5 minutes. I spent so many afternoons staring at her in the car seat, sitting in the living room, making sure she wasn’t going to be hurt, but making sure she was sleeping, too.

Ha–you call it cheating, I call it multi-tasking! It’s a skill I’m hoping to develop more when our baby girl comes along around the New Year. :)

I’m going to have to try that yogurt combo–lately it’s been a pumpkin/cottage cheese mousse for me (perfect this time of year)!

PB2 is seriously awesome! Your yoghurt pb2 combo’s reminded me I had an unopened jar! Great for making savoury noodle dressings too or as a dip for veggies! Do you like the chocolate one?

I remember those days of driving around in hopes that the little guy would sleep a little more (and still have them once in a while now!). Thank goodness for drive through windows when it happens. I was always happy to drive around as long as I had a coffee in hand! Hopefully the nap boycotts will stop for you soon!
    Danielle @ Green is the New Black recently posted..WIAW Newbie

Ohh my gosh, I totally empathize with you! My little guy isn’t much of a napper, and some days I honestly find it impossible to get anything done. It’s been hard for me because he’s no longer in his bucket seat, so wakes up every time I take him out of the car! Plus, in Australia there are not really any drive throughs to grab a coffee and sit (they’re all sit-down cafés). “The things we do” is right!!!

I also hate cod. I’m originally from the Maritimes, so love seafood! But cod is always so fishy. Bleck! I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed it, no matter how fresh it is!
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..It’s Okay To Skip A Workout…Sometimes

15. Leah says

I just had to comment because last night for dinner I made cod, green beans with almonds and sweet potato chips. Too funny.

1. I love how you were honest about combining Monday + Tuesday’s eats. None of us would have known if you just pretended that they were one day haha! ;)

2. Addie sometimes does the whole “I want to be held but you have to be standing the whole time” thing, too. It’s super fun …
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Garlic Mashed Potatoes