WIAW: Technically Cheating

by Courtney on October 9, 2013

Yesterday was exhausting. Whew.

Lucas was having another one of his “I’m too cool for naps” days, so that meant very little time for anything else for this mama. Usually when he’s had these days in the past, he’s still in a pretty good mood, but not yesterday. He was grumpy for a good majority of the afternoon and really only seemed content when mom was holding him…but we couldn’t be sitting. Oh no…we had to be standing. So while I may have missed out on my planned workout, I certainly wasn’t sitting around like a couch potato!

I’m still sort of playing along with WIAW today, but it’s a mash up of things from Monday AND Tuesday. So I guess, technically, I’m cheating. Oh well. Winking smile

Breakfast

This was yesterday’s breakfast – frosted shredded wheat with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and banana slices.

I also enjoyed my morning cup of pumpkin coffee while Lucas played on his play mat. This was before the boycotting of naps began for the day.

Lunch

This was part of my lunch on Monday and boy, was it delicious. Just check out that color!

Mixed greens, cucumber, grape tomatoes, carrots, and avocado. I also wound up having a piece of toast with PB&J a couple hours later since the salad wasn’t super substantial.

Necessary Afternoon Coffee

This one was from yesterday. Around noon time I had to head out to run a couple of errands, and while we were out Lucas wound up falling asleep in his car seat.

Although he has managed to sleep through the car to house exchange, I didn’t want to risk it given his lack of sleep, so I just continued to drive. I got through all of my errands, grabbed the coffee at the drive-thru, and then just continued hanging out in the car until he woke up about 40 minutes later. Ohh, the things we do! Winking smile

Dinner

This dinner was from Monday…a baked sweet potato, which tasted amaaaaazing, frozen green beans and almonds, and baked cod which was actually pretty awful.

I found a recipe from allrecipes, but Jay and I decided we didn’t think it was the recipe that was bad…we think it was the fish. It just smelled way too “fishy” and just didn’t taste right. We each wound up having a few bites then just threw out the rest. Such a bummer, but blech. The house still smelled like fish yesterday too…not exactly a good sign of fresh fish, eh?

Dessert

Ohh, you guys know I’m loving my yogurt dessert still!

Mixed with the usual PB2, mini chocolate chips, and Cascadian Farms Cinnamon Crunch cereal, which I received in the mail a couple of weeks ago. It’s yummy (reminds me a lot of cinnamon toast crunch cereal) but better for me as a dessert rather than breakfast.

That’s all I’ve got for ya for food pics, my friends. So before signing off, I’ll leave ya with one of my new favorite pictures of Lucas.

Jay shared that on his Instagram the other day and I just love it. My happy little (growing!) boy. <3

1 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 9, 2013 at 9:24 am

Bummer Lucas isn’t taking his naps. That must be rough! Hopefully, he’ll get back into the habit again soon. Fingers crossed!

I love your dessert yogurt cup. I definitely need to buy some more PB2 and try that out!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #16 – Blogger Recipe Round-Up

2 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl October 9, 2013 at 9:25 am

Awww…. Lucas looks like such a happy baby! Love all of that avocado in your salad!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday on Repeat

3 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life October 9, 2013 at 9:29 am

It really is incredible the sweet things Momma’s do for their little ones! At least you were able to get all of your errands done thoug, and Lucas was able to get a little nap in! Win-win! :)

4 Ashlee@HisnHers October 9, 2013 at 9:35 am

Oh man I ate the smell of fish. Especially when someone cooks it at work! Thats the biggest office no no ever, right?
Lucas is starting to look like you a little! i dont see JUST Jay when I look at his pictures anymore.

5 Brynn October 9, 2013 at 9:53 am

Looks like a day of good eats! I am making that salad for lunch today – it looks so fresh and crisp.
I am not a mom, but I love reading your posts on handling life as a new mom.
Brynn recently posted..Henry’s Birthday and My 10K Training Plan

6 Parita @ myinnershakti October 9, 2013 at 9:58 am

When my sister was a baby, there were numerous times where we would have to drive around town to keep her from crying. And we knew were headed for trouble anytime a traffic light turned red. It’s still a funny story (well, now it is!) that we tell in our family.

7 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 9, 2013 at 10:23 am

I’m sorry Lucas had a tough day! that yogurt dessert looks AWESOME! I may have to keep this in mind tonight when my normal sweet tooth starts kicking in :)
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Eating Healthy While Traveling

8 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life October 9, 2013 at 10:26 am

When I was a baby and wouldn’t sleep through the night, my dad would put me in the car and drive me around until I fell asleep. Poor guy would be up at 3 am, driving circles around the neighborhood. Haha! ;)
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..WIAW 10/9- totally abnormal

9 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog October 9, 2013 at 10:31 am

I love the Lucas pics – keep em’ coming :-)

You’re not cheating – you’re a mom so you’re allowed to combine as many days as you want.

Iced coffee makes my mouth water no matter what time of day it is. Nobody does it like Dunkin. Have you ever tried the regular coffee with a bit of skim milk and one pump of pumpkin?? SO GOOD. Try it :-)

Love the sugar cereal making an appearance on your yogurt. I just bought Cap N’ Crunch Cinnamon Roll flavor. Kid at heart – that’s for sure!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: I Got a Schedule, Yo!

10 Amy @ The Little Honey Bee October 9, 2013 at 10:40 am

I’ve never made cod but definitely annoying that it didn’t turn out/could have been funky! Loving that lunch salad
Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted..I May Start To Cluck… [WIAW 16]

11 Lauren October 9, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hey, as long as you can swing by Dunkin’ Donuts and enjoy some iced coffee… Long car rides to keep the baby happy are totally worth it! I’m glad the “bad day” is over and you made it through it. There’s always going to be some now and then!

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 9, 2013 at 10:43 am

What you did by sitting in the car with Lucas waiting for him to wake up reminds me of what I’d do with my dogs sometimes… They’d fall asleep on my feet or lap, and I’d feel so bad for waking them, that I’d sit there until they started stirring before I got up. It’s a good thing they’re cute, right? ;)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … better when they’re together .

13 Jenny October 9, 2013 at 10:59 am

Awww! Love little Lucas’ smile in that last picture! Bummer about your dinner – it’s why I’m always hesitant to make fish. :(
Jenny recently posted..Apple Baked Oatmeal

14 Lisa October 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

Lucas is so sweet. Too bad about him not taking his naps. I think babies just seem to go through those phases sometimes.
I remember nannying and the baby would sometimes go through phases of just not napping.
At least there’s coffee to help out in these times:)

15 Alaina October 9, 2013 at 11:02 am

I had a similar cod experience two weeks ago when I made the recipe you posted. Well, in theory, the recipe would have been tasty, but I prepared the fish in the morning without cooking it and left it in the fridge until that night to cook. B.A.D. I.D.E.A. My fridge and home smelled like fish for at least a week and everything put in the fridge also smelled life fish. Poor husband had to wash the inside of the fridge down really well and disinfect the house since this preggo mama wasn’t getting close to those fumes. ; ) Needless to say, I will NEVER make cod again. I’ll stick with the less stinkier tilapia or flounder.

16 Annette@FitnessPerks October 9, 2013 at 11:18 am

Ugh I hate it when fish is toooooo fishy! Sorry about that.

Love that last pic of Lucas too!

17 Steph @ StephSnacks October 9, 2013 at 11:35 am

OMG that picture of Lucas is adorable!!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Surprise Party Success

18 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes October 9, 2013 at 11:46 am

I hope his nap boycotting ends soon and you get some relief! Hang in there!
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..A monumental day for me.

19 Ellie@Fit for the soul October 9, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Muahahaha I just love how I’m not the only “weirdo” of a mom! No offense at all to all moms out there, btw. But it’s funny how I can relate to the little things I do with Selah too, like IF she happened to fall asleep at the end of her car ride, then I reaaalllly quietly take her into the house and leave her in the seat until she wakes up–but if that happens it’s only for about 10-15 minutes. :P And I guess Lucas is just very alert and aware of things, seeing as how he doesn’t want to nap much.
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Food Trends that Actually Work

20 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm

If we’re driving right around Hunter’s nap time, he totally zonks out. Rather than waiting in the car, I have a carseat canopy that I cover him with and just lift his carseat out of the car and go set it in his room without waking him so he can finish his nap and I can get things done inside. It works pretty nicely. ;)

I still need to try out that yogurt/PB2 combo. It always sounds so good to me!

Hope Lucas naps better for you today! xo
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Photo An Hour (+WIAW)

21 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 9, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Fingers crossed that he’s a little more eager to sleep for you today! And Eric was telling me the other day about how his dad told him that when he was a baby and was too fussy to sleep, he’d just buckle Eric into his car seat and go for a drive – he’d pass out pretty much instantly. I’ve also noticed that my dog is super calm on car rides – something about the motion just makes little creatures pass out, apparently! :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Pictured Versus Not Pictured.

22 Kathryn October 9, 2013 at 1:02 pm

When my daughter was a baby, she’d fall asleep so fast in the car, often I could strap her in and just drive around the block twice. As long as I kept her in her car seat, she’d stay asleep, but if I tried to take her out, she’d wake up after 5 minutes. I spent so many afternoons staring at her in the car seat, sitting in the living room, making sure she wasn’t going to be hurt, but making sure she was sleeping, too.

23 Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine October 9, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Girl I hope you dressed up that sad sweet potato with some spice! Cinnamon and sweet potatoes = love!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted..Orange Spice Chicken and Plaintain Chips

24 Justine Duppong @Upcycle You October 9, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Ha–you call it cheating, I call it multi-tasking! It’s a skill I’m hoping to develop more when our baby girl comes along around the New Year. :)

I’m going to have to try that yogurt combo–lately it’s been a pumpkin/cottage cheese mousse for me (perfect this time of year)!

25 Shel@PeachyPalate October 9, 2013 at 3:03 pm

PB2 is seriously awesome! Your yoghurt pb2 combo’s reminded me I had an unopened jar! Great for making savoury noodle dressings too or as a dip for veggies! Do you like the chocolate one?

26 Danielle @ Green is the New Black October 9, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I remember those days of driving around in hopes that the little guy would sleep a little more (and still have them once in a while now!). Thank goodness for drive through windows when it happens. I was always happy to drive around as long as I had a coffee in hand! Hopefully the nap boycotts will stop for you soon!
Danielle @ Green is the New Black recently posted..WIAW Newbie

27 Kelly @ Femme Fitale October 9, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Ohh my gosh, I totally empathize with you! My little guy isn’t much of a napper, and some days I honestly find it impossible to get anything done. It’s been hard for me because he’s no longer in his bucket seat, so wakes up every time I take him out of the car! Plus, in Australia there are not really any drive throughs to grab a coffee and sit (they’re all sit-down cafés). “The things we do” is right!!!

I also hate cod. I’m originally from the Maritimes, so love seafood! But cod is always so fishy. Bleck! I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed it, no matter how fresh it is!
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..It’s Okay To Skip A Workout…Sometimes

28 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 9, 2013 at 5:38 pm

That Cascadian Farms cereal is absolutely amazing!!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Peanut Butter and Jelly Banana Breakfast Cookie

29 Leah October 9, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I just had to comment because last night for dinner I made cod, green beans with almonds and sweet potato chips. Too funny.

30 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 9, 2013 at 7:34 pm

1. I love how you were honest about combining Monday + Tuesday’s eats. None of us would have known if you just pretended that they were one day haha! ;)

2. Addie sometimes does the whole “I want to be held but you have to be standing the whole time” thing, too. It’s super fun …
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Garlic Mashed Potatoes

31 Leigha @ Minougirl October 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Awww Lucas! So cute! Thank for being honest about the fish. The other day I was eating something (I don’t even remember what) and it was TERRIBLE. It kills me to throw things out!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Fashion Friday {9/23 – 9/27}

32 Melissa October 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Yum, your yogurt dessert looks great and it’s with one of my favorite yogurts! Also, I’ve never tried Cascadian Farms Cinnamon Crunch before, but it sounds like something I would love, so I’ll definitely have to try it soon!
Melissa recently posted..An Unlikely Teacher: Lessons From Oliver

33 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 9, 2013 at 9:08 pm

No naps = tough!! I hope he take better naps for you tomorrow!

34 Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream October 9, 2013 at 9:35 pm

The no-nap days are the worst!! Hopefully he got it out of his system and he’ll be back to his normal schedule ASAP! On the upside that salad is gorgeous! and that smiley pic of Lucas is too cute!! :)
-Sammy @ http://www.peaceandloveandicecream.com
Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream recently posted..WOD – October 9, 2013

35 Serena Marie RD October 9, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Truth be told, i’m a lifelong cheater of WIAW! I am not sure I’ve ever stuck to ONE day’s worth of eats :) Loved your salad! Such pretty colors!
Serena Marie RD recently posted..A Super Spooky #WIAW (Numero 8!)

36 Kristi October 10, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I remember the days of driving around so my daughter could sleep. I actually miss those days.
Kristi recently posted..Dinner the most important meal of my day… sometimes

37 Brittany @ The Fit Phoenician October 11, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I’m with you on both the baby skipping naps and the necessary afternoon cup of coffee!!
He’s looking so big to me lately :)
Brittany @ The Fit Phoenician recently posted..How Big Is Your Brave and Other Friday Faves