Why Did I Wait So Long?

by Courtney on October 10, 2013

Seriously? Why did I wait so long to try out this amazingly delicious combination that is a fried egg + smashed avocado?

I cooked this little gem up yesterday afternoon for my lunch and wow. Just…wow. I added a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder to my smashed avocado, fried up the egg, and served it on a toasted whole wheat sandwich thin. According to Instagram, I’m pretty late to the game on this one, since so many of you were raving about it already. I’m excited to try it out with some of the other ingredients you guys were telling me about too. Yum, yum!

Another yummy from yesterday came in the form of a delicious apple cider donut.

Last Friday, I mentioned that we were going to be going apple picking for Fall Festival but unfortunately, our little clan never made it to the apple orchard. Lucas had decided that day that he wanted to nap for basically forever (3 hours his first nap, 2-1/2 his second) and he wound up napping right though apple picking. We debated on waking him up, but since his naps are so rare, I knew he must have needed the sleep so we let it slide.

Luckily, my gal Sarah picked up some cider donuts for me (I had been waiting so long for them!) and I’ve been enjoying one every now and then this week. Just a quick, 15 seconds in the microwave and it’s just like it was fresh baked.

My last yummy from yesterday? Dinner. And when I tell you I could eat a meal like this basically everyday of my life, I’m not even kidding.

I marinated some chicken cutlets during the afternoon and we grilled them up along with some baked sweet potatoes, and a couple big ol’ tossed salads. So much color and variety…I love it!

This morning, I’m heading out for a few hours solo, to give Lucas a little one-on-one time with his new babysitter. I feel like I have a gazillion different emotions about that all, but I’ll get to that in another post. For now, it’s time for me to scoot!

Happy Thursday, friends! Smile

1 Melissa October 10, 2013 at 8:39 am

The apple cider donut looks so very yummy! Ideal for this time of year!
Melissa recently posted..An Unlikely Teacher: Lessons From Oliver

2 Kelly @ Femme Fitale October 10, 2013 at 8:42 am

Smashed avocado is so popular here in Australia! I hadn’t put that combination together either before moving here, but you honestly can’t escape it. So good!
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..It’s Okay To Skip A Workout…Sometimes

3 Shel@PeachyPalate October 10, 2013 at 8:49 am

Hope you enjoy some time to yourself today…Lucas will be fine and you’ll be a happy relaxed and revived mamma on your return! :)

4 Hope @ With a Side Of Hope October 10, 2013 at 8:57 am

Good luck today! I can imagine it will be hard leaving Lucas but enjoy the time you get to yourself today. :)

Yummy apple cider donut! I want one.
Hope @ With a Side Of Hope recently posted..A Change Of A Favorite…

5 Danica @ It's Progression October 10, 2013 at 8:59 am

I like to add hummus or pesto, sea salt and black pepper, and a few spinach leaves to the avocado + fried egg + toast combo…it’s so good!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Why I Blog

6 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne October 10, 2013 at 9:02 am

I love when apple picking places make fresh donuts, they are the best!! I enjoy an apple fritter, well only half – otherwise I end up super sick , on Monday, ugh best donut out there! Enjoy your solo hours, I’m sure every mom goes through what you’re going through :)
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..I’m Legitimately Crazy, I Know

7 Lindsey October 10, 2013 at 9:05 am

I love that egg and smashed avocado combo! I also have added tomato, spinach and pickles :)

8 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 10, 2013 at 9:11 am

Egg and avocado…hmmm I never would have thought to try that combination! Sounds good though! Hope you have a great Thursday!

9 Gracie October 10, 2013 at 9:19 am

Love egg + avocado combo! You should really try it with a soft boiled egg. One of my favorite brunch spots in NYC has the most simple yet delicious meal – whole grain toast with mashed avocado, topped with 2 soft boiled eggs, and siracha. It’s soooo good!
Gracie recently posted..thankful thursday.

10 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life October 10, 2013 at 9:21 am

Mmmmmmmm doughnuts.. I haven’t had a doughnut in at least a year. Am I crazy? ;)
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..The Ultimate Quest Nutrition Review!

11 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 10, 2013 at 9:26 am

Avocado and egg is one of the BEST combos, especially when it is combined with bread…oh, and add some sea salt too and it is REALLY good!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Peanut Butter and Jelly Banana Breakfast Cookie

12 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 10, 2013 at 9:30 am

The fried egg + avocado combo is one of my faves! Not to mention packed with healthy fats. ;) Glad you loved it!

Huge hugs today. I’m sure Lucas will do great!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..10/10/13: Thursday Thoughts

13 Stacey M. October 10, 2013 at 9:32 am

I really just have to try out that egg and avocado combination … I’ve already tried it in a salad with hard-boiled eggs and cubed avocado, but now I want to make a WARM version of it. Perfect for fall!
Hoping all goes well with Lucas’s babysitter today … I can imagine you’re anxious about it, but I’m sure he’ll do well! Enjoy your “me” time today … any special plans?

14 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 10, 2013 at 9:36 am

Eggs and avo make me weak in the knees. Seriously one of the best combos out there. And yours must be the 7th post I read today that included donuts — I think the universe is trying to tell me something ;)

Good luck with the babysitter!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #48 .

15 chelcie @ chelcie's food files October 10, 2013 at 9:44 am

i love the egg and avocado combo..its the best!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-POIAJ

16 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 10, 2013 at 9:45 am

Eggs and avocado is definitely an amazing combination! I like to scramble some eggs with sautéed diced onion, roasted red pepper and baby spinach, then top it with some avocado slices…amazing!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Apple Crumble Pie

17 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 10, 2013 at 9:58 am

Good choice with the apple cider donut! I think I’m going to have to find myself a pumpkin one :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Roasted Buttercup Squash and Pumpkin Soup.

18 Angela @ Health's Angel October 10, 2013 at 10:03 am

I have a love/hate relationship with eggs, but right now I am all about them. I’ve been doing hard boiled lately. Eggs and avocado were made for each other!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Silence the Mind

19 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life October 10, 2013 at 10:11 am

I feel like I need to jump on this avocado and egg sandwich train now too!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Spinach Alfredo Spaghetti Squash

20 Lauren October 10, 2013 at 10:36 am

Nanny cam will ease all of your worries ;) LoL

21 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 10, 2013 at 10:55 am

Lucas will do great at the sitter’s! I know no one can ever take care of your little one like you can, but he will be in great hands!

22 Sara October 10, 2013 at 11:09 am

I still haven’t tried the fried egg with avocado but I see it all over the blog world! I need to jump on this band wagon.
Sara recently posted..WIAW: Sangria & Tapas Tasting

23 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance October 10, 2013 at 11:21 am

Oh I love avocado on almost anything!! The egg combo is delicious! I also like a little tomato in there. Good luck with the new sitter. I’m sure things will go great! :)
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Racism

24 Kathryn October 10, 2013 at 11:21 am

That first time leaving them with a sitter is so hard, but I’m sure everyone will do great. Honestly, it’s amazing how babies will act different with Grandma or the sitter. So many times, I’d drop my daughter off with my sitter or Grandma, and I’d be worried because she would have been in such a cranky mood. I pick her up, and they tell me she was a perfect angel for them, lol.

25 Annette@FitnessPerks October 10, 2013 at 11:23 am

Mmm apple cider donut sounds super yumm!

I love simple dinners like that too–sweet potatoes make everything better ;)

Good luck today to you both!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..CXWORX Release 12 Review

26 Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream October 10, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I would never think to do eggs + avocado….that’s like an explosion of healthfulness ;)
I know, it’s hard leaving them with a sitter for the first time but it’s a GREAT thing for both you and Lucas! (Try to) Enjoy your time out – even if you’re just running errands alone! lol
-Sammy @ http://www.peaceandloveandicecream.com
Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream recently posted..Hi. My Name is Sammy and I…{get annoyed looking looking at Facebook!} #TTT

27 Anna @ Fitness à la Anna October 10, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I feel you! I could def eat a variation of that for dinner every night!! Also, I have started making egg burritos in the morning, and I recommend adding salsa to the mix with eggs and avocado. So delish!
Anna @ Fitness à la Anna recently posted..Chocolate Millet Crisp Bark with Peanut Butter Drizzle

28 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! October 10, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Apparently, I’m even later later to the party. I eat eggs an avocado pretty much every day but never a fried egg + avocado. Where have I been? I’m going to need to pick up some GF bread next time I’m at the store so i can whip this bad boy up!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..An Aggie in burnt orange! Plus, healthy tailgate approved cookies.

29 Kelly October 10, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Apple Cider donuts may or may not be my favorite food in the entire world. When I lived down south in college that was what I missed more than anything.
Kelly recently posted..A Weekend in Pictures

30 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves October 10, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Oh my gosh egg + avocado on toast is THE ultimate combo (after peanut butter and banana ;) ) So glad you’ve tried it! Now I need to try an apple cider donut.
That dinner does look amazing also!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Thursday Things + Strength and Cardio Circuit Workout

31 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen October 11, 2013 at 6:12 am

Mmmmm apple cider donuts sound so festive and tasty!!! :)
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..I Understand All the Hype About Bakersfield!

32 Runner Girl Eats October 11, 2013 at 6:40 am

Fried egg and avocado is my absolute favorite combo. SO GOOD!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Fitness Friday: Motivation Suckers

33 sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com October 12, 2013 at 11:40 am

avocado and eggs are a fantastic combination!!!!
sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..Recap Of My Uber-Productive Day and Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips