WIAW: Ugly Food, Wrong Orders, Amazing Dinner and Dessert

by Courtney on October 23, 2013

So much good food in this post. Seriously. And after spending over five minutes trying to figure out a post title, that’s what I came up with. A little wordy…sorry ‘bout that.

But first, hello hello! I hope everyone is having a fantastic week so far! We’re already to Wednesday, so that’s always a good thing, right? The week is actually going by pretty quickly, as are my work days which is awesome.

So far, work is going really, really well. I miss Lucas with every single ounce of my being and honestly, 3:30 can’t come soon enough. But at the same time, I’m feeling a lot better about being back to work than I thought I would (this early in the game). One thing that helps? Getting daily updates and pictures from Erika.

IMG_4020-001

Working + being a new mom is totally exhausting – getting everything together everyday and every night for both myself and for him, trying to fit everything in, and prioritizing what’s important – but we’re all working through it and hopefully we’ll be able to nail down a bit better of a routine in the next couple of weeks.

I’m sure I’ll wind up having things to talk about eventually in a post or two, so if there’s anything you’re curious about, feel free to ask!

*****

Sooo switching gears a bit…let’s get to the bulk of today’s post. It’s What I Ate Wednesday Tuesday!

Breakfast

One of my batches of overnight oats (with extra almond milk added) + a 2-pump pumpkin coffee with skim from DD’s.

There’s no way around it…those oats look totally disgusting. But they taste amazing, so hey, whatev. Winking smile (fun fact…Jay hates when abbreviate whatever with “whatev” – drives him crazy…mwahaha)

Mid-Morning Snacks

I started off with a quite delicious and juicy Macintosh apple.

Then a little while later (while I was taking one of my pumping breaks…if you’re wondering what the random tubes are) I had half of a sandwich thin with lots of PB.

Lunch

Mmmm…veggies! My second pre-made salad, filled with lots of veggies, roasted chicken, avocado, and honey balsamic dressing.

Mid-Afternoon Snacks

A couple hours later, I snacked on the other half of my sandwich thin with more PB.

And then one of my co-workers was heading to Starbucks and offered to get me something, so I ordered an iced, skinny caramel macchiato. Unfortunately, if you can tell from the photo, I don’t think I got what I ordered…

It tasted super mocha-ish and way sweet, so I only managed a few sips before tossing it (if something is too sweet for me, you know it’s really sweet) Total bummer.

Dinner

Dinner, however, was anything BUT a total bummer. More like a total winner, which just so happened to come in the form of homemade chicken pot pie soup.

Yep, you read that right. It’s not difficult to make at ALL, and on top of that, it’s not even that bad for ya either. Winking smile

I’m really gonna have to get the recipe up to share with you guys because it was soooo, sooo good. We had my in-laws over for dinner, and everyone really seemed to enjoy it. So much so that there’s only one small bowl left.

Dessert

My in-laws brought over some apple strudels and ice cream for dessert, so I happily enjoyed half of a strudel with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel.

Warm apple desserts + vanilla ice cream + caramel = amazingly delicious. Always.

And as a side note, I now cannot say strudel without thinking of that stupid toaster strudel commercial. Tell me you guys know what I’m talking about…?

Well, now that I’m looking back at everything, yesterday just so happened to be quite a yummy day of eats. Love when that happens!

Hopefully today is just as good…for all of us. Winking smile

1 Lindsay October 23, 2013 at 8:01 am

OK, I hate the toaster strudel commercial. Worst of all is the way the little boy says gooey. Cannot deal.

2 leigh @ beach and back runner October 23, 2013 at 8:06 am

I cant wait for that recipe … it looks awesome!
leigh @ beach and back runner recently posted..WIAW: What I Ate Wednesday

3 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 23, 2013 at 8:09 am

Most of the flavoured drinks from Bux are WAY too sweet for me as well — I can’t even jump on the whole PSL bandwagon because they taste a little too artificial for me. And I’m blissfully unaware of this strudel commercial… but now I have a nagging urge to Google it :shock:
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … ending the day with ice cream .

4 Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl October 23, 2013 at 8:21 am

Toaster Struuuudel ya! Overnight oats have become my obsession lately!
Can’t wait till you give us that recipe :D
Amanda @ Pink Runner Girl recently posted..Fun Facts Friday 10/18

5 chelcie @ chelcie's food files October 23, 2013 at 8:32 am

that chicken pot pie soup looks to die for..especially because of the flaky crust on top. Warm apple desserts with cold ice cream..there’s nothing better!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Meals for the Week 10/20

6 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 23, 2013 at 8:32 am

Everything looks delish! I don’t think I’ve ever had chicken pot pie before. Crazy, I know! Hope you do post the recipe because then I’ll give it a try. It certainly looks tasty!

BTW, where did you get that water bottle from? I really like it and it’d be perfect to keep at work.
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #18 – Feeling Lazy

7 Heather K. October 23, 2013 at 8:35 am

Love your blog! I’ve been following for a while, but this is my first comment/question. I’m a new mom (1.5 weeks ago!) and I’m already pumping and saving milk. Do you use something to hold the shields in place so that you can pump hands-free? Following your pregnancy journey while on my own was exciting! :-)

8 Kristy October 23, 2013 at 8:35 am

Courtney, I just wanted to say that I’m really enjoying your blog right now. I always have, but I’m finding your current situation very interesting. My husband and I are trying to conceive and I’m worried about going back to work after I have a baby — I will get a bit of time off, but not enough. I’m finding your situation more relevant fo for me than a lot of other mommy bloggers who work from home, so thanks for being up front and honest about everything! It’s really helping me see that I can possibly do this!

You may have mentioned this, but do you have a babysitter for Lucas during the day, or is he staying with family?

9 Shel@PeachyPalate October 23, 2013 at 8:38 am

Your preparation at the weekend totally paying off then! Lots of yummy eats…sure who cares what they look like! Hope the rest of the week flies by for you!

10 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life October 23, 2013 at 9:01 am

Loving that cute pic of baby Lucas on your desk! That is so nice that your sitter sends you pictures throughout the day. It always helps to be reassured that your babe is safe and happy!

That chicken pot pie looks phenomenal!

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 23, 2013 at 9:05 am

Girl, I don’t know how you’re finding time to blog on top of everything else you’re doing. You are super woman. Seriously! :) I can barely find time, and I’m staying at home with my little booger! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Chicken Coconut Curry

12 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 23, 2013 at 9:11 am

You are a rockstar! I can only imagine how exhausting it all is, but it sounds like you’re doing an amazing job. I’m curious how the pumping is going at work and just your daily schedule/routine (I’m sure you’re still getting in the groove of that!).

P.S. LOVE that framed photo of Lucas on your desk! Such a cutie.

xoxo
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Vanilla Almond Sugar Cookie Protein Shake

13 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne October 23, 2013 at 9:11 am

Yeah I have to agree, those over night oats don’t look too appetizing haha, but hey, at least they are good :) Well congrat to you on keeping it together while doing everything! I know I would probably have a melt down or two ;). Um yum to that dessert. Apple dessert and ice cream are possible the best combination!!
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..I Feel That In My Soul

14 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance October 23, 2013 at 9:19 am

I am so in awe of your ability to have a young baby, work full time, prepare and eat healthy meals and workout. You must be a supermom!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Sunsets Over the Ocean in Laguna Beach

15 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 23, 2013 at 9:24 am

I’ve been on a soup kick lately! That chicken pot pie soup looks fantastic. I can’t wait for the recipe :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Crockpot Classic Minestrone Soup!!…

16 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty October 23, 2013 at 9:31 am

I’m happy to hear that things are going okay as you transition back into work! I can’t imagine how hard that must be.
Talk about a great day of eats! Growing up, I used to looovee pot pies (the prepackaged ones) but when I found out how bad they were for me I stopped eating them. The way yours are made look a lot healthier than the boxed version. I might have to get on that one of these days!
Happy hump day!
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Vaca Part III: Cruise to Ensenada

17 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 23, 2013 at 9:46 am

I bet you got a caramel mocha…that happened to one of my coworkers a couple weeks ago. If the person ordering for you doesn’t know what you’re ordering, it’s bound to happen. Having worked in coffee for YEARS, I blame the messenger, not the barista. ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..What I Ate (Not On) Wednesday

18 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health October 23, 2013 at 9:53 am

I’m glad to hear you are feeling better about the working mom thing. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be but you really have an amazing attitude about the whole thing!

I have been craving pot pie so bad lately and that soup looks delicious. Can’t wait for the recipe!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Vegan Lentil Barley Stew

19 Eryn @ Blondmindedbrunette October 23, 2013 at 10:04 am

I hate when I get a coffee that is super sweet! Especially when you spend so much $$$ on them anyhow! Glad the transition to work is going well for you all!
Eryn @ Blondmindedbrunette recently posted..Tuesday To-Do List

20 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 23, 2013 at 10:11 am

I am glad that getting back to work is feeling better for you now! Sometimes getting into a routine really helps!

That chicken pot pie soup looks AMAZING! Do you have a recipe for it??
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..“Shrinking Women”

21 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 23, 2013 at 10:12 am

Some foods just never ever photography well. Overnight oats is definitely one of them. I also had a really difficult time photographing pretty much anything with lentils and totally lack the skills to photograph soups.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: October 23, 2013

22 Emily @ The Good Era October 23, 2013 at 10:22 am

Ugh, don’t you hate when your sbux order gets messed up!? #firstworldproblems for sure, but a bummer none the less!

I’m so glad to hear the transition is going well for you!
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Le Tired

23 Lauren October 23, 2013 at 10:40 am

EVERY time I go to say strudel now, I have an accent. Lol It’s amazing how much commercials become a part of our everyday conversations…

Mike, mike, mike, mike, mike, mike… Guess what today is?!? ;-)

And I definitely only get one pumpkin of any syrup in my medium drinks. I cannot do sweet coffee AT ALL.

24 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog October 23, 2013 at 10:54 am

I am most definitely catching a cold, so can’t wait to see that recipe! Nothing cures the common cold like chicken pot pie :-). PS – your salads always look so delicious, without fail!

And as for the working mom thing, thank you for being so honest. I can only imagine how difficult it must be but I’m sure you’ll figure out the routine that works for you before you know it.

I look forward to reading the post!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: Pumpkin Butter Wishes and Candy Corn Dreams

25 Annette@FitnessPerks October 23, 2013 at 11:23 am

Mmmmm that homemade soup sounds awesome–I bet my husband would love it too!

I love a good caramel/ice cream dessert–so that looks fab :)

26 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 23, 2013 at 11:55 am

Not having cable means that I have no idea what you’re talking about with the strudel commercial…but now I’m curious and miiiiiiight end up googling it. That pot pie looks amazing, I’m looking forward to the recipe!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Thanksgiving Dessert.

27 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life October 23, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Oatmeal is hard to make look pretty! ;) (Did that sentence even make sense?). It always tastes good though so whatevs. Christian hates when I abbreviate too!
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..WIAW 10/23- Can’t Get Enough

28 Christine@munchkinmumbles October 23, 2013 at 2:51 pm

High five for overnight oats for breakfast! I love how there are endless variations to make each bowl unique! It’s so sad when a coffee just doesn’t live up to what you thought you were going to get. I hope 3:30 comes quickly for you today!

29 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! October 23, 2013 at 2:56 pm

My husband hates it when I abbreviate words too. Sometime I do it just to see him roll his eyes. Oh boys!! :)
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Upper Body Ladder Workout

30 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves October 23, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Wow that chicken pot pie soup looks so delicious! And so does your dessert. I had a week of some pretty ugly (but yummy) eats too. Sometimes you can only satisfy one of the senses!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..WIAW: Strange But Good

31 Tiffany October 23, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I have been reading your blog for a little while now but I don’t think I have left any comments. Going back to work is tough – but it is absolutely wonderful when the baby sitter sends you pictures throughout the day. In the past I have had 2 sitters who would do this and it is amazing how much better it makes you feel to see your happy baby at home while you are working.

32 Nala October 23, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I’m so glad work is going well for you! At least you get picture updates of Lucas when you miss him at work. The chicken pot pie soup looks extremely delicious – is there recipe coming any time soon? And the apple strudel looks heavenly…..a good idea for a fall dessert.

33 Ellie@Fit for the soul October 23, 2013 at 5:38 pm

hahha, that’s the only thing I don’t like about not having a TV–I never know what ANYONE’S EVER TALKING ABOUT when it comes to shows and commercials. :P
And omgness Courtney…this is so much delicious food I realized my eyes were glued to the screen like this 0_0, hah! I haven’t had pot pie in years and yours looks so comforting and delish!
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..The Evolution of My Fitness Journey

34 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections October 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Your dinner looks amazing!

Man, I hate when you spend good money on Starbucks and they get it wrong. Too sweet coffee is SO bad!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..The Desk Chair Workout

35 Michelle @ Peanut Butter and Running Shoes October 23, 2013 at 6:35 pm

The chicken pot pie looks amazing!
Michelle @ Peanut Butter and Running Shoes recently posted..Italian Meatloaf Cupcakes

36 Kari F October 23, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Please share the chicken pot pie soup recipe! It looks delicious and I love that it is easy.

37 sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com October 23, 2013 at 6:59 pm

chicken pot pie soup?!?!!?! sign me up!
looking forward to the recipe!!!!!!
sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..I’m Clearly A Few Days Late On This One…Brewing Beer and Friend Making Monday

38 Leigha @ Minougirl October 23, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Can we trade eats for a day? :) Every thing looks so yummy! I LOVE how breakfast and lunch were both pre-made. Tastes even better when it’s already made!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..WIAW – Recently

39 Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream October 23, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Ohhh, that salad looks DELISH!! And I love sandwich thins – sometimes I eat them open faced with PB (a generous shmear!) and a handful of semisweet chocolate chips sprinkled on top – yuuuum!
-Sammy @ http://www.peaceandloveandicecream.com
Sammy @ Peace Love and Ice Cream recently posted..WOD – October 23, 2013 & some other fun stuff

40 Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change October 24, 2013 at 9:06 am

Yum! Looks like a good day of eats! I’ve had some coffee shop mix-ups and they are always a bummer. There was even one time they made my chai latte with regular milk and not soy…so I’m happy I’m just sensitive and not allergic; I know it could have been a lot worse.
I am in love with your teal/mint water bottle! Where is it from?!
Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..When School Ate My Life.

41 Jessica K. October 26, 2013 at 8:33 am

I totally agree about the strudel commercial!
Jessica K. recently posted..Bento #16