WIAW: Ugly Food, Wrong Orders, Amazing Dinner and Dessert

So much good food in this post. Seriously. And after spending over five minutes trying to figure out a post title, that’s what I came up with. A little wordy…sorry ‘bout that.

But first, hello hello! I hope everyone is having a fantastic week so far! We’re already to Wednesday, so that’s always a good thing, right? The week is actually going by pretty quickly, as are my work days which is awesome.

So far, work is going really, really well. I miss Lucas with every single ounce of my being and honestly, 3:30 can’t come soon enough. But at the same time, I’m feeling a lot better about being back to work than I thought I would (this early in the game). One thing that helps? Getting daily updates and pictures from Erika.

IMG_4020-001

Working + being a new mom is totally exhausting – getting everything together everyday and every night for both myself and for him, trying to fit everything in, and prioritizing what’s important – but we’re all working through it and hopefully we’ll be able to nail down a bit better of a routine in the next couple of weeks.

I’m sure I’ll wind up having things to talk about eventually in a post or two, so if there’s anything you’re curious about, feel free to ask!

*****

Sooo switching gears a bit…let’s get to the bulk of today’s post. It’s What I Ate Wednesday Tuesday!

Breakfast

One of my batches of overnight oats (with extra almond milk added) + a 2-pump pumpkin coffee with skim from DD’s.

There’s no way around it…those oats look totally disgusting. But they taste amazing, so hey, whatev. Winking smile (fun fact…Jay hates when abbreviate whatever with “whatev” – drives him crazy…mwahaha)

Mid-Morning Snacks

I started off with a quite delicious and juicy Macintosh apple.

Then a little while later (while I was taking one of my pumping breaks…if you’re wondering what the random tubes are) I had half of a sandwich thin with lots of PB.

Lunch

Mmmm…veggies! My second pre-made salad, filled with lots of veggies, roasted chicken, avocado, and honey balsamic dressing.

Mid-Afternoon Snacks

A couple hours later, I snacked on the other half of my sandwich thin with more PB.

And then one of my co-workers was heading to Starbucks and offered to get me something, so I ordered an iced, skinny caramel macchiato. Unfortunately, if you can tell from the photo, I don’t think I got what I ordered…

It tasted super mocha-ish and way sweet, so I only managed a few sips before tossing it (if something is too sweet for me, you know it’s really sweet) Total bummer.

Dinner

Dinner, however, was anything BUT a total bummer. More like a total winner, which just so happened to come in the form of homemade chicken pot pie soup.

Yep, you read that right. It’s not difficult to make at ALL, and on top of that, it’s not even that bad for ya either. Winking smile

I’m really gonna have to get the recipe up to share with you guys because it was soooo, sooo good. We had my in-laws over for dinner, and everyone really seemed to enjoy it. So much so that there’s only one small bowl left.

Dessert

My in-laws brought over some apple strudels and ice cream for dessert, so I happily enjoyed half of a strudel with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel.

Warm apple desserts + vanilla ice cream + caramel = amazingly delicious. Always.

And as a side note, I now cannot say strudel without thinking of that stupid toaster strudel commercial. Tell me you guys know what I’m talking about…?

Well, now that I’m looking back at everything, yesterday just so happened to be quite a yummy day of eats. Love when that happens!

Hopefully today is just as good…for all of us. Winking smile

Comments

Everything looks delish! I don’t think I’ve ever had chicken pot pie before. Crazy, I know! Hope you do post the recipe because then I’ll give it a try. It certainly looks tasty!

BTW, where did you get that water bottle from? I really like it and it’d be perfect to keep at work.
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #18 – Feeling Lazy

2. Heather K. says

Love your blog! I’ve been following for a while, but this is my first comment/question. I’m a new mom (1.5 weeks ago!) and I’m already pumping and saving milk. Do you use something to hold the shields in place so that you can pump hands-free? Following your pregnancy journey while on my own was exciting! :-)

3. Kristy says

Courtney, I just wanted to say that I’m really enjoying your blog right now. I always have, but I’m finding your current situation very interesting. My husband and I are trying to conceive and I’m worried about going back to work after I have a baby — I will get a bit of time off, but not enough. I’m finding your situation more relevant fo for me than a lot of other mommy bloggers who work from home, so thanks for being up front and honest about everything! It’s really helping me see that I can possibly do this!

You may have mentioned this, but do you have a babysitter for Lucas during the day, or is he staying with family?

Yeah I have to agree, those over night oats don’t look too appetizing haha, but hey, at least they are good :) Well congrat to you on keeping it together while doing everything! I know I would probably have a melt down or two ;). Um yum to that dessert. Apple dessert and ice cream are possible the best combination!!
    Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..I Feel That In My Soul

I’m happy to hear that things are going okay as you transition back into work! I can’t imagine how hard that must be.
    Talk about a great day of eats! Growing up, I used to looovee pot pies (the prepackaged ones) but when I found out how bad they were for me I stopped eating them. The way yours are made look a lot healthier than the boxed version. I might have to get on that one of these days!
    Happy hump day!
    Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Vaca Part III: Cruise to Ensenada

EVERY time I go to say strudel now, I have an accent. Lol It’s amazing how much commercials become a part of our everyday conversations…

Mike, mike, mike, mike, mike, mike… Guess what today is?!? 😉

And I definitely only get one pumpkin of any syrup in my medium drinks. I cannot do sweet coffee AT ALL.

I am most definitely catching a cold, so can’t wait to see that recipe! Nothing cures the common cold like chicken pot pie :-). PS – your salads always look so delicious, without fail!

And as for the working mom thing, thank you for being so honest. I can only imagine how difficult it must be but I’m sure you’ll figure out the routine that works for you before you know it.

I look forward to reading the post!
    Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: Pumpkin Butter Wishes and Candy Corn Dreams

High five for overnight oats for breakfast! I love how there are endless variations to make each bowl unique! It’s so sad when a coffee just doesn’t live up to what you thought you were going to get. I hope 3:30 comes quickly for you today!

9. Tiffany says

I have been reading your blog for a little while now but I don’t think I have left any comments. Going back to work is tough – but it is absolutely wonderful when the baby sitter sends you pictures throughout the day. In the past I have had 2 sitters who would do this and it is amazing how much better it makes you feel to see your happy baby at home while you are working.

10. Nala says

I’m so glad work is going well for you! At least you get picture updates of Lucas when you miss him at work. The chicken pot pie soup looks extremely delicious – is there recipe coming any time soon? And the apple strudel looks heavenly…..a good idea for a fall dessert.

hahha, that’s the only thing I don’t like about not having a TV–I never know what ANYONE’S EVER TALKING ABOUT when it comes to shows and commercials. 😛
    And omgness Courtney…this is so much delicious food I realized my eyes were glued to the screen like this 0_0, hah! I haven’t had pot pie in years and yours looks so comforting and delish!
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..The Evolution of My Fitness Journey

Yum! Looks like a good day of eats! I’ve had some coffee shop mix-ups and they are always a bummer. There was even one time they made my chai latte with regular milk and not soy…so I’m happy I’m just sensitive and not allergic; I know it could have been a lot worse.
    I am in love with your teal/mint water bottle! Where is it from?!
    Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..When School Ate My Life.