Weekend Highlights {10/28}

by Courtney on October 28, 2013

Gooooood morning! How’s everyone hangin’ in there this morning? Anyone else wondering where the heck the weekend went, ‘cuz I sure am. It was a super great one though, and let me tell ya something…now that I’m back to work, weekends are just so much more precious.

The weekend officially started once I was off of work on Friday, and when I went to go pick up my little guy, I was greeted with my first ever piece of “mommy artwork” from Lucas.

How adorable is that?! Erika said it wasn’t easy getting Lucas’s handprint (oh, we know that…we’ve tried!) but I love that she took the time to do that, and it’s now proudly hanging on the fridge. Smile

Friday evening, Jay and I ordered in some dinner (my favorite pasta fagioli!) and then we partied hard into the night…

Hahahaha…riiiiiight.

No, no. There was no partying it up on Friday night. In fact, shortly after Lucas went to bed, I found myself doing the same exact thing…in bed before 9pm on a Friday night. Party. Animal.

*****

After getting my semi-broken up 10 hours of sleep, I woke up on Saturday feeling like a brand new woman. I spent the morning hanging out with Jay and Lucas, and then I was off for the afternoon to meet up with some of the girls for lunch and an appointment at a bridal boutique (my friend Eileen is getting married!).

Before leaving, I told Jay to make sure he ONLY texts me unless it’s a super duper emergency. Typically, if I leave my boys at home by themselves, I almost always get a text or two with an update…which is usually along the lines of “oh my god, he won’t stop crying” or “seriously, I cannot get him to nap.” Whenever that happens, I get super anxious and feel like I need to get home, so I asked him nicely to keep me blissfully unaware of anything that may be going down.

A little after meeting up for lunch, I heard my phone go off. Grrrrreaaaat. BUT, turns out I was just getting a little update from my smiley guy.

He didn’t feel much like napping, but apparently he just wanted to hang with dad. Winking smile

Saturday evening, Jay and I had a Halloween party to go to and honestly, we really had no idea what we were going to dress up as. I was being super lazy about it and neither of us wanted to go spending a ton of money. So I wound up coming up with the idea for the two of us to go as “disheveled new parents.”

We spread some “fake poop” (aka, caramel apple frosting we had in the fridge) over a few diapers and on our clothes, pinned on some burp cloths, gave myself “bed head,” and then wore my Moby Wrap and stuffed it with a pillow covered in a onesie and a big print out of Lucas’s head.

Hey, it may not have been super original or off the charts, but it was super comfy (the only way I do Halloween) and I laughed pretty damn hard every time I looked at the print out of Lucas’s face.

We put Lucas to bed first and then went out for a few hours while my parents graciously hung out at our house to “watch” Lucas. Thankfully we got home when we did because he wound up waking up (for the first time EVER) at 11:30pm ready to eat. I think little man may be going through his 3 month growth spurt. Winking smile

*****

Sunday started off the best way I know how…a hot cup of coffee and some pumpkin Kodiak Cakes prepped by my super hubby.

And the rest of Sunday was actually rather productive…Lucas and I went grocery shopping while Jay worked around the house, I made a batch of my favorite Pumpkin Black Bean Soup,

prepped a couple more salads for lunches during the week,

hung out with smiley,

and also made sure to take his 3 month photos because, as hard as it is to believe, Mr. Lucas turned 3 months yesterday.

We had wayyyy too much fun taking this month’s photos…he was SO smiley and such a happy baby. I’ll include a few more photos in his 3 month update…whenever I get to that. Winking smile

Dinner last night was pretty delish, too. I made some Mexican Pulled Chicken in the crockpot during the afternoon, served it over some brown rice, and topped it with some cheese, tomatoes, corn, avocado, and a little sour cream.

A little while later there was dessert, of course. I polished off the rest of a pint of Stonyfield frozen yogurt (it was on clearance for a dollar…finished it off in two sittings…whoops) and topped it with some caramel, mini chocolate chips, and cereal.

That was my bowl towards the end, mind you. It was muuuuch more full before that. Winking smile

I guess for this being a “highlights” post, I think I got rather wordy.

So, that being said, I’m out. Happy Monday, friends!

1 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 28, 2013 at 7:40 am

I actually think that costume is genius! I can’t stop laughing
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Racing Fool!

2 Allison (Ms. Whirlwind) October 28, 2013 at 7:56 am

My fiance does the same thing sometimes with texting me about the kids when I’m at work in the evenings (I work 12 hour shifts, so I come home late at night). I already have residual mommy guilt about being at work; don’t make it worse by telling me how the baby is crying!

Just wanted to give you a virtual *hug* about it. It’s so hard going back to work, but you’re doing a great job.
Allison (Ms. Whirlwind) recently posted..10/21-10/27: The rundown

3 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) October 28, 2013 at 8:06 am

Your costume is amazing! Haha, I love it. Only you can look so dang gorgeous while disheveled! Glad you had a great weekend :)

4 Linz @ Itz Linz October 28, 2013 at 8:13 am

lol i think your halloween costumes are really funny! and i love lucas’s three month pictures! he just gets cuter and cuter!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..I’m pregnant!!!

5 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 28, 2013 at 8:14 am

I love your Halloween costumes! At least they were comfy :) Lucas is getting so big! He is so cute.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Last Weekend in October!!…

6 Heather @fitncookies October 28, 2013 at 8:18 am

He is the happiest little boy! I lovee the pictures of him smiling, and pretty much cracked up at your costume. That’s hilarious and I loved it!! I’m all about comfy costumes!
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Low Key, Baking Kind of Weekend- MIMM

7 Michelle October 28, 2013 at 8:22 am

LOVE the costume ! it is very original and funny too! And of course,cant get enough of the monthly photo shoots!
Michelle recently posted..Thirsty Thursday: Five Halloween Mocktails

8 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 28, 2013 at 8:23 am

hahaha…I love that costume! It’s totally creative and looks great!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..3 Key Relationship Lessons

9 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 28, 2013 at 8:31 am

I LOVE the costume idea! Super cute.

Glad you were able to get some time to yourself this weekend with friends and Jay!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Feeling Blessed

10 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 28, 2013 at 8:33 am

I love that your little guy is so smiley… and I actually think your guys’ costumes were super creative! At least you didn’t go the “cut some holes in a bed sheet and call yourself a ghost” route ;)

11 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl October 28, 2013 at 8:34 am

Lucas looks so super cute in his 3 month pics! I think your costume idea was easy, but really creative and comfy is the best way to go. Must check out that pumpkin black bean soup….looks delish!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Stuffed Delicata Squash

12 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life October 28, 2013 at 8:37 am

I am loving that 3-Month old picture of Lucas! Oh my gosh, he is just so happy and looks like a little man with a tie, ha ha! :)

Loving your Halloween costumes too! Very creative and I agree, comfy is best!

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 28, 2013 at 8:55 am

What a cute Halloween costume! I think that’s super original or in the very least, funny! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday: Lou Reed

14 Lindsey October 28, 2013 at 9:04 am

Great costume idea! I had a friend who went as a cow, baby as a calf and husband as a milk farmer lol.
Love that soup of yours! I need to make it soon, Fall is going by too quick for me to get in all my favourite fall recipes.

15 chelcie @ chelcie's food files October 28, 2013 at 9:09 am

that soup and mexican pulled chicken dinner all look delicious..but that bowl of ice cream made me CRAVE ice cream. Lucas looks so cute in his 3 month pics!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Philly Fun + Meals for the Week 10/27

16 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne October 28, 2013 at 9:10 am

I can’t get over how adorable Lucas is!! I love his smile :). And yum to that Pulled Chicken! Looks super good!!!
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Oh What’s Up Bro?

17 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 28, 2013 at 9:30 am

Girl, that Halloween costume was genius!! I absolutely love it! Great job! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Weekend in North Carolina

18 Kelly @ Femme Fitale October 28, 2013 at 9:32 am

There are so many things I could comment on here, in particular how hilarious your costume is and major props for hauling your butts out to socialize (when it is sooo much easer just to stay in). Glad to see you had a wonderful weekend and got some much deserved sleep.
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Being ‘Suzy’

19 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 28, 2013 at 9:41 am

I think that the costume is hilarious! Especially the printout of Lucas’ head. Glad to hear that you got some sleep over the weekend too, I can only imagine how awesome that must have felt!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..MIMM: Birthday in Pictures.

20 Melissa October 28, 2013 at 9:44 am

This post was SO Cute! So many things I could comment on, I loved the little handprint flower painting, it’s darling. Then your Halloween costume, had me laughing out loud, Really! It was brilliant, and perfect for you guys being new parents. Very creative. Lucas’s 3mons picture with his finger in his mouth, “Priceless”. You are truly blessed with such a cute baby. Glad you had a wonderful weekend.
Melissa recently posted..Our Fall Camping Trip- Day2

21 Emily @ The Good Era October 28, 2013 at 10:05 am

Great costume idea! I only like to do comfy one’s too….totally worth it!

Have a great week!
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Liebster Award Answers

22 Abi@AbsofSteel October 28, 2013 at 10:12 am

That costume is hilarious!

23 Melissa October 28, 2013 at 10:12 am

Ahh! Such a cute and clever Halloween Costume; I love it! Also, I love your dessert, it sounds so tasty, yet simple!
Melissa recently posted..To Be Grateful: Appreciating the Small Things

24 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life October 28, 2013 at 10:19 am

Your costumes are BRILLIANT! Hahahaha, it’s so accurate!! As you would know ;) How is he already 3 months?! Time goes by way too fast!
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..MIMM #28- Bringing back the 20s & brunch

25 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health October 28, 2013 at 10:20 am

I think your costumes are brilliant! I especially love the cutout of Lucas. Hilarious!

I’ve made your pumpkin black bean soup before (way back in the day, before I had a blog) and it is delicious!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Confessions Part I

26 Lauren October 28, 2013 at 10:55 am

Personally, I love the costumes! And I definitely thought the cut out was actually Lucas in the first picture HAHA. I guess you would have fooled me ;-)

The pumpkin black bean soup sounds delish! Definitely going to check out the recipe!

27 Ashlee@HisnHers October 28, 2013 at 10:58 am

haha Love the costume! It seems like Lucas gets cuter every day!

28 Kelly October 28, 2013 at 11:29 am

I am ALWAYS a fan of a costume that allows me to wear basically sweatpants/pajamas so I think that is genius. And that 3 month picture! Its too precious!!
Kelly recently posted..The Pumpkin Tells!!!!!

29 Katie October 28, 2013 at 12:06 pm

LOVE the costumes! I think they are awesome and so creative! Mike and I did not dress up or go out this year, just stayed in and it was nice! Glad you guys got to go out and have some fun, you both deserve it!

Lucas is SO cute, cutest gummy smile! I just did Rocco’s 3 month post, I am behind, it just gets too busy as you know!

Happy week to you girl!

30 cait @PieceOfCait October 28, 2013 at 12:11 pm

that custome is AWESOME! I love it! and being comfy is the way to go

31 Jenny October 28, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Oh my goodness! LOVE the art work! And I think your costumes were rather creative!! Happy 3 months to Lucas!
Jenny recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday #16

32 Kelly @ The Fit Skool@ October 28, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I am loving pumpkin lately.. I need to try those pancakes they look delicious!

creative costume idea :)
Kelly @ The Fit Skool@ recently posted..Mommy & Me workout

33 Allie October 28, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Ahhh LOVE the halloween outfits! Such a cute idea, and you looked super comfy too! Lucas is such a little ham. I love his little face :)
Allie recently posted..Got Myself Into a Big Pickle

34 Lauren October 28, 2013 at 1:33 pm

What a fun costume!

35 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance October 28, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I love your Halloween costume! It’s such a hoot!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..New York, New York

36 Ellie@Fit for the soul October 28, 2013 at 1:42 pm

ppuuuahahahhaah soooooo cute!!! I’m literally trying to not laugh loudly since Selah is napping, but you guys look darling and too funny….the funnier part is that the second I saw the picture I thought Lucas was real since he looked SOMEWHAT legit, but he still looked a little bit….odd. LOL. And so glad you got that beautiful face photo instead of an update! It’s really hard as a new mom to learn boundaries when we need them, but it seems like you’re getting better and better at that. :D
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Even Better Banana Muffins+the Weekend

37 Katie @ running4cupcakes October 28, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Oh my – Lucas looks so big in his 3 month pic!! Love it. And I really love your Halloween Costume – I think that was super creative!! And very appropriate. ;)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 10/27/13

38 Shel@PeachyPalate October 28, 2013 at 4:11 pm

That is such a super cute idea!!! I probably would have cried..though maybe I’m just having an emotional Monday!!! LOVE the Halloween costume idea! We had a fancy dress work night out on Sat and I went as Sandy from Grease! Totally last minute but it came together thanks to my leather trousers still fitting! :)

39 christine@munchkinmumbles October 28, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Love you costume idea! How fun! I am totally craving ice cream or fro yo now… with tons of toppings :)

40 Leigha @ Minougirl October 28, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Okay I’m making that soup! YUM! Sounds like a good weekend to me :) the costume is so neat! And HOW is Lucas 3 months already?! I swear you were just in the hospital!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Halloween Weekend Fun

41 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections October 28, 2013 at 8:05 pm

What a fun weekend! I really love hearing about your updates between work and Lucas. Since I just started working a “real” job and love it, I now have considered what it would be like to not stay home with my kids (like I always thought I would). I’ve definitely reconsidered lately. Hearing about how you find balance is encouraging!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..How to Use a Post Calendar for Your Blog

42 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 28, 2013 at 8:53 pm

How cute is that craft?! And I love the Halloween costume! lol
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Meal Plan Monday: 10/28

43 Danielle @ Green is the New Black October 28, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Love the costumes, how clever! My husband used to do the same thing the few times that I left him alone with our little guy when he was very young! One of the times that I rushed home due to mommy guilt, I asked him if he had tried to give him a bottle. He responded that he showed it to him (the bag of frozen breast milk!) and he didn’t seem like he wanted it! As if he knew what that was! Not one of his finer moments, but he’s learned a lot since then!
Danielle @ Green is the New Black recently posted..Halloween Party, Family Night Out and Battling Sickness!

44 Courtney October 28, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I love your costumes! Such a creative idea- and comfy, so smart!

45 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen October 29, 2013 at 5:38 am

What a funny costume idea!! I love it :) Also, that pumpkin black bean soup looks amazing…definitely going to have to give it a try!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Dottie Couture Boutique Giveaway Winner

46 Lisa October 29, 2013 at 8:34 am

OMG…love the Halloween costume. What a cute idea.

47 Parita @ myinnershakti October 29, 2013 at 9:55 am

That’s an awesome costume. At first glance, I really thought y’all brought Lucas to the party!

48 Jessica October 29, 2013 at 10:22 am

Hey Girl, I just have to say reading this post really inspired me. I love how you can still make healthy meals, work full time and have a baby/family. I felt kind of lazy after reading this. So last night I made a scrumptious dinner of fettuccine alfredo with broccoli, grilled chicken and breadsticks. Then I made baked parmesan chicken with a side of chicken flavored rice for my husbands lunches, I prepped two big yummy salads for my lunches, I scrubbed potatoes and scrubbed and peeled carrots to throw in the crock pot with a roast, ( put it in this morning) and last of all, I made your Chex Scotcharoos bars. And they are amazing! Why have I not made these before! So needless to say, thank you for inspiring me, no more frozen pizza at my house, at least this week ;)
Jessica recently posted..Updates!

49 brittany October 29, 2013 at 12:40 pm

oh my gosh, i totally thought that was Lucas in the first picture of your halloween costume, it took me about 5 minutes after I read it was a picture of his head to actually see that it was not a real baby. Bravo!

50 Ali October 29, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I love your costumes!!

51 Nala October 29, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Lucas is soo adorable – he really has grown in three months. Just wait, soon he’ll be crawling and standing up. The pulled chicken looks so delicious, I may have to try something similar sometime. Hope your week is going well!