Weekend Highlights {10/28}

Gooooood morning! How’s everyone hangin’ in there this morning? Anyone else wondering where the heck the weekend went, ‘cuz I sure am. It was a super great one though, and let me tell ya something…now that I’m back to work, weekends are just so much more precious.

The weekend officially started once I was off of work on Friday, and when I went to go pick up my little guy, I was greeted with my first ever piece of “mommy artwork” from Lucas.

How adorable is that?! Erika said it wasn’t easy getting Lucas’s handprint (oh, we know that…we’ve tried!) but I love that she took the time to do that, and it’s now proudly hanging on the fridge. Smile

Friday evening, Jay and I ordered in some dinner (my favorite pasta fagioli!) and then we partied hard into the night…

Hahahaha…riiiiiight.

No, no. There was no partying it up on Friday night. In fact, shortly after Lucas went to bed, I found myself doing the same exact thing…in bed before 9pm on a Friday night. Party. Animal.

*****

After getting my semi-broken up 10 hours of sleep, I woke up on Saturday feeling like a brand new woman. I spent the morning hanging out with Jay and Lucas, and then I was off for the afternoon to meet up with some of the girls for lunch and an appointment at a bridal boutique (my friend Eileen is getting married!).

Before leaving, I told Jay to make sure he ONLY texts me unless it’s a super duper emergency. Typically, if I leave my boys at home by themselves, I almost always get a text or two with an update…which is usually along the lines of “oh my god, he won’t stop crying” or “seriously, I cannot get him to nap.” Whenever that happens, I get super anxious and feel like I need to get home, so I asked him nicely to keep me blissfully unaware of anything that may be going down.

A little after meeting up for lunch, I heard my phone go off. Grrrrreaaaat. BUT, turns out I was just getting a little update from my smiley guy.

He didn’t feel much like napping, but apparently he just wanted to hang with dad. Winking smile

Saturday evening, Jay and I had a Halloween party to go to and honestly, we really had no idea what we were going to dress up as. I was being super lazy about it and neither of us wanted to go spending a ton of money. So I wound up coming up with the idea for the two of us to go as “disheveled new parents.”

We spread some “fake poop” (aka, caramel apple frosting we had in the fridge) over a few diapers and on our clothes, pinned on some burp cloths, gave myself “bed head,” and then wore my Moby Wrap and stuffed it with a pillow covered in a onesie and a big print out of Lucas’s head.

Hey, it may not have been super original or off the charts, but it was super comfy (the only way I do Halloween) and I laughed pretty damn hard every time I looked at the print out of Lucas’s face.

We put Lucas to bed first and then went out for a few hours while my parents graciously hung out at our house to “watch” Lucas. Thankfully we got home when we did because he wound up waking up (for the first time EVER) at 11:30pm ready to eat. I think little man may be going through his 3 month growth spurt. Winking smile

*****

Sunday started off the best way I know how…a hot cup of coffee and some pumpkin Kodiak Cakes prepped by my super hubby.

And the rest of Sunday was actually rather productive…Lucas and I went grocery shopping while Jay worked around the house, I made a batch of my favorite Pumpkin Black Bean Soup,

prepped a couple more salads for lunches during the week,

hung out with smiley,

and also made sure to take his 3 month photos because, as hard as it is to believe, Mr. Lucas turned 3 months yesterday.

We had wayyyy too much fun taking this month’s photos…he was SO smiley and such a happy baby. I’ll include a few more photos in his 3 month update…whenever I get to that. Winking smile

Dinner last night was pretty delish, too. I made some Mexican Pulled Chicken in the crockpot during the afternoon, served it over some brown rice, and topped it with some cheese, tomatoes, corn, avocado, and a little sour cream.

A little while later there was dessert, of course. I polished off the rest of a pint of Stonyfield frozen yogurt (it was on clearance for a dollar…finished it off in two sittings…whoops) and topped it with some caramel, mini chocolate chips, and cereal.

That was my bowl towards the end, mind you. It was muuuuch more full before that. Winking smile

I guess for this being a “highlights” post, I think I got rather wordy.

So, that being said, I’m out. Happy Monday, friends!

Comments

My fiance does the same thing sometimes with texting me about the kids when I’m at work in the evenings (I work 12 hour shifts, so I come home late at night). I already have residual mommy guilt about being at work; don’t make it worse by telling me how the baby is crying!

Just wanted to give you a virtual *hug* about it. It’s so hard going back to work, but you’re doing a great job.
    Allison (Ms. Whirlwind) recently posted..10/21-10/27: The rundown

Great costume idea! I had a friend who went as a cow, baby as a calf and husband as a milk farmer lol.
    Love that soup of yours! I need to make it soon, Fall is going by too quick for me to get in all my favourite fall recipes.

There are so many things I could comment on here, in particular how hilarious your costume is and major props for hauling your butts out to socialize (when it is sooo much easer just to stay in). Glad to see you had a wonderful weekend and got some much deserved sleep.
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Being ‘Suzy’

This post was SO Cute! So many things I could comment on, I loved the little handprint flower painting, it’s darling. Then your Halloween costume, had me laughing out loud, Really! It was brilliant, and perfect for you guys being new parents. Very creative. Lucas’s 3mons picture with his finger in his mouth, “Priceless”. You are truly blessed with such a cute baby. Glad you had a wonderful weekend.
    Melissa recently posted..Our Fall Camping Trip- Day2

Personally, I love the costumes! And I definitely thought the cut out was actually Lucas in the first picture HAHA. I guess you would have fooled me ;-)

The pumpkin black bean soup sounds delish! Definitely going to check out the recipe!

LOVE the costumes! I think they are awesome and so creative! Mike and I did not dress up or go out this year, just stayed in and it was nice! Glad you guys got to go out and have some fun, you both deserve it!

Lucas is SO cute, cutest gummy smile! I just did Rocco’s 3 month post, I am behind, it just gets too busy as you know!

Happy week to you girl!

ppuuuahahahhaah soooooo cute!!! I’m literally trying to not laugh loudly since Selah is napping, but you guys look darling and too funny….the funnier part is that the second I saw the picture I thought Lucas was real since he looked SOMEWHAT legit, but he still looked a little bit….odd. LOL. And so glad you got that beautiful face photo instead of an update! It’s really hard as a new mom to learn boundaries when we need them, but it seems like you’re getting better and better at that. :D
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Even Better Banana Muffins+the Weekend

That is such a super cute idea!!! I probably would have cried..though maybe I’m just having an emotional Monday!!! LOVE the Halloween costume idea! We had a fancy dress work night out on Sat and I went as Sandy from Grease! Totally last minute but it came together thanks to my leather trousers still fitting! :)

What a fun weekend! I really love hearing about your updates between work and Lucas. Since I just started working a “real” job and love it, I now have considered what it would be like to not stay home with my kids (like I always thought I would). I’ve definitely reconsidered lately. Hearing about how you find balance is encouraging!
    Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..How to Use a Post Calendar for Your Blog

Love the costumes, how clever! My husband used to do the same thing the few times that I left him alone with our little guy when he was very young! One of the times that I rushed home due to mommy guilt, I asked him if he had tried to give him a bottle. He responded that he showed it to him (the bag of frozen breast milk!) and he didn’t seem like he wanted it! As if he knew what that was! Not one of his finer moments, but he’s learned a lot since then!
    Danielle @ Green is the New Black recently posted..Halloween Party, Family Night Out and Battling Sickness!

Hey Girl, I just have to say reading this post really inspired me. I love how you can still make healthy meals, work full time and have a baby/family. I felt kind of lazy after reading this. So last night I made a scrumptious dinner of fettuccine alfredo with broccoli, grilled chicken and breadsticks. Then I made baked parmesan chicken with a side of chicken flavored rice for my husbands lunches, I prepped two big yummy salads for my lunches, I scrubbed potatoes and scrubbed and peeled carrots to throw in the crock pot with a roast, ( put it in this morning) and last of all, I made your Chex Scotcharoos bars. And they are amazing! Why have I not made these before! So needless to say, thank you for inspiring me, no more frozen pizza at my house, at least this week ;)
    Jessica recently posted..Updates!

12. brittany says

oh my gosh, i totally thought that was Lucas in the first picture of your halloween costume, it took me about 5 minutes after I read it was a picture of his head to actually see that it was not a real baby. Bravo!

13. Nala says

Lucas is soo adorable – he really has grown in three months. Just wait, soon he’ll be crawling and standing up. The pulled chicken looks so delicious, I may have to try something similar sometime. Hope your week is going well!

Trackbacks