WIAW: Sweets

by Courtney on October 30, 2013

Mornin’ friends, and happy Wednesday to you all! How’s the week treating ya so far?

I’m gonna be honest…the tank is slowly running down to empty this week. Lucas is going through a bit of a growth spurt this week (at least that’s all I’m hoping it is) and his extra night time feedings are making for one sleepy mama.

So for this week’s WIAW (which is all of Tuesday) you’ll probably begin to see a pattern of what happens to Yours Truly when I’m a bit sleep deprived. Enter: All. The. Sweets…

Yesterday started bright and early at about 5:15am with Lucas’s second wakeup call for the night/morning. At that point, since my alarm was set for 5:45am anyways, there really was no point in going back to sleep. So I took my time showering and got things going for the morning. I was pretty hungry (which is the norm for the mornings) so I snacked on an iced oatmeal cookie Clif Z Bar to tide me over before breakfast.

Totally recycled photo, FYI.

Breakfast

Once I got to work, I ate my prepared pumpkin oatmeal along with a large pumpkin coffee from DD’s that I picked up after dropping Lucas off.

I typically try to stay away from buying coffee until Fridays as my treat, but I convinced myself that sleep deprivation is a good enough excuse to indulge an extra day. And then I even went with the large…although it’s not like the extra caffeine helps wake me up or anything. I just enjoyed sipping on it a little longer.

Snacks

Shortly after arriving at work, a co-worker of mine informed me that she had made and brought in coffee cake that morning and it was still warm. Sign. Me. UP.

I had about half of my piece and it was goooood.

A little while later, I snacked on a banana and made a cup of Mother’s Milk tea (they say it helps with milk production…whether or not it really does, I have no idea? I’m not having problems with my supply, but I figure it can’t hurt to stay on top of things).

IMG_4118IMG_4114

Lunch

Lunch included a delicious veggie-filled salad, topped with all sorts of leftover shredded chicken from Sunday and some parmesan peppercorn dressing (OMG so good).

And not long after finishing that, I decided I needed chocolate so I broke into my dark chocolate stash and grabbed a square. Mmmm mmmmm.

Snacks

Around 2:30 I was super chilly while working at my desk, and once again, found myself craving chocolate and sweets…

So I made myself a mug of hot chocolate and sipped on that for a while.

THEN…it was party time!!

My company had a super cute Halloween party yesterday afternoon for the kids of the employees, so I went and grabbed Lucas after work and brought him back for the festivities.

Or should I say…my little pirate.

I have better pics of his costume, I’ll show you guys soon.  ;)

Although my little pirate was still a little young to take part in any of the activities (cupcake decorating, pumpkin decorating, trick-or-treating, necklace making…there was so much!) he was able to “socialize” with some of mommy’s co-workers, and all things considered, he did fairly well. It was super busy with lots of people, but he managed to hold it together for the most part with only a little fussiness. He was also pooped too, and wound up falling asleep on my shoulder for a little while.

So while he slept, I used my free hand to enjoy an amazing apple cider donut.

There was also a mini Snickers and a couple pumpkins eaten too. Again…couldn’t get enough sweets.

Dinner

By the time we got home around 6, there was no way I was cooking anything for dinner. Thankfully, we had leftovers from the night before, so I reheated a Chicken Caesar burger and had that while catching up for a bit with Jay.

That picture was from Monday night, so there were no fries involved last night.

A little while after dinner, I found myself in the kitchen again snacking on a couple “small slivers” of cookie bars that I had made on Monday night for Jay to bring to work (of course I kept some leftovers at home).

I really was just exhausted though and probably could have easily kept eating my way through the kitchen, so I figured I should just pack it in for the night and headed to bed.

Soooo, is there anyone else out there like me that wants all. the. food/snacks/chocolate. when they’re sleep deprived? ;)

1 Melissa October 30, 2013 at 9:21 am

Yum! Everything looks great, especially the hot chocolate – so good on a cold day!
Melissa recently posted..Dreams Left Behind: Recapturing an Old Flame

2 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 30, 2013 at 9:29 am

OMG…warm coffee cake…soooo good! I wouldn’t pass that up for anything! ;-) Lucas looks so cute is his pirate costume. Can’t wait to see more pics!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #20 – Pumpkin Swirl Brownies

3 Claire @ Flake and Cake October 30, 2013 at 9:31 am

Oh my goodness Courtney – Lucas looks SO cute in his costume! I could never say no to warm coffee cake, yummy!
Claire @ Flake and Cake recently posted..WIAW: Salted caramel, salted caramel, salted caramel

4 Shel@PeachyPalate October 30, 2013 at 9:32 am

Yep the stress/tiredness always induces food cravings of the handy usually sweet kind! Good call going to bed! LOVE his costume, can’t wait to see more pics!

5 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen October 30, 2013 at 9:35 am

Your pumpkin oats look super tasty!! Well…it all looks super tasty :) AND the pirate outfit is adorable!!!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Final Run and A Nostalgic Night

6 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance October 30, 2013 at 9:40 am

Oh the little pirate is soooo cute! I do the same thing when I am at work and craving sweets. I make myself a cup of sugar-free hot chocolate and then add in some skim milk. Usually hits the spot!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..From the Cliffs of Big Sur

7 Ashlee@HisnHers October 30, 2013 at 9:41 am

YES! I always want to continuously eat when I’m tired. These days tired = hungover to me! Love the costume!
Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted..Scariest Moment of My Life

8 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 30, 2013 at 9:41 am

Coffee cake is SO good!! It has been forever since I have had a piece, though :(. I am thinking one of my co-workers needs to make me some! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..A Nearly Wordless WIAW: October 30, 2013

9 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 30, 2013 at 9:56 am

I’m right there with ya on the sweets thing! When I’m tired, ALL I want is sweet stuff. It’s a good thing I was preoccupied and away from home yesterday otherwise I have a feeling I would’ve been snacking on the bag of chocolate chips in our pantry all day. Ha! I hope you get some good sleep SOON! Hugs!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #101: Shifting My Mindset on Food

10 Megan B October 30, 2013 at 10:13 am

I am not sure I’ve ever commented but I love your blog!
When I was breast feeding and sleep deprived, I had huge sugar cravings. I swear the breast feeding was largely to blame, because of the huge calorie burn.
What a cute little pirate and loving the nail color!

11 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots October 30, 2013 at 10:16 am

Lucas looks so cute in his pirate outfit!! I also love you nail polish!

12 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life October 30, 2013 at 10:24 am

That coffee cake looks delicious. Mmmmm! I totally order bigger coffees than I need just so I can enjoy it longer. Coffee is WAY too good to ever run out ;)
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..WIAW 10/30- National Chocolate Day

13 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun October 30, 2013 at 10:26 am

Aww I love Lucas’ pirate outfit!!

Looks like you have already have a fun week! :) Your food looks YUMMY! Especially that burger!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Marine Corps Marathon 2013 Spectator Recap

14 laura October 30, 2013 at 10:31 am

Random question: Do you do your own nails? If so, how do you make them look so good? Is it the polish? They always look so nice! Whenever I do my own at home, the polish looks thin & dull and always chips off right away.

Lucas is too cute!

15 Courtney October 30, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Haha, yes I do! I can’t justify paying for them when they just seem to chip the next day (and I’m picky about how they’re done haha). I love OPI and Essie polish, but I swear by this top coat: http://www.drugstore.com/seche-vite-dry-fast-top-coat/qxp151193

It’s amazing!

16 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine October 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

YES. I’m the same way. And now that the cooler weather is setting in, I feel I crave sweets EVEN more. It it’s chilly outside, I want and need donuts. And if it is cooler in the evening, I want and need chocolate chip cookies. Give me all of the sweets. :)

17 Katie @ running4cupcakes October 30, 2013 at 10:57 am

Luke hasn’t been sleeping the best this week, and so I totally treated myself to coffee from Caribou and Panera on Monday and Tuesday this week. Thankfully he slept better last night, so I made coffee at home. :)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Wholly!

18 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog October 30, 2013 at 11:16 am

I’m with ya girl! When I’m sleep deprived, it’s carbs and chocolate all the way. Incidentally, I’ve been sleep deprived lately, and well, since it’s close to Halloween, let’s just say a lot of sweets have been in my life.

And WHAT a cute little pirate. Look forward to more pics :-)
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: Halloween Health Kick?

19 Shawna October 30, 2013 at 11:19 am

aww your pirate is adorable!
love the Clif Kids Z bars in Iced Oatmeal. seriously one of my fave bars ever.
Happy Halloween!

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 30, 2013 at 11:19 am

Very much YES. When I don’t get enough sleep, I can’t ever seem to put a dent in my appetite, and I definitely crave sweets and carbs all day long. If I happen to be at home on one of those days, I usually end up making a trip to the kitchen every 20 minutes to grab a handful of something to munch on… and the worst part about it is that the constant mild hunger is SO distracting and doesn’t let me focus on much else.

Hope you catch up on some rest soon!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … ‘fessing up .

21 Courtney October 30, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Hahaha, that definitely sounds like me when I’m home on days like that too

22 Lauren October 30, 2013 at 11:31 am

I am the SAME exact way. I think I try to eat sweets just to keep me energized and “focused” enough to stay awake! I’ll eat chocolate over an apple any day, but the days were I get little to no sleep there’s no question which one wins out!

Love the little pirate costume!

23 Jessie October 30, 2013 at 11:38 am

From one sleep-deprived mama to the next, I totally understand! I have a 5.5 month old and have been back to work for about 6 weeks now. I find myself constantly wanting snacks, especially sweets, when I’m tired. It’s hard to get rid of this sweet tooth!

Lucas’ costume is adorable!

24 Nicole October 30, 2013 at 11:50 am

Love your gold nail polish! :)
Your little pirate is such a cutie pie!
Cookie bars? Is there a recipe to share?

Hang in there Courtney….you know why?? You KNOW what day it is!! It’s HUUMMPP DAYYYYY!

25 Courtney October 30, 2013 at 1:03 pm
26 Nicole October 30, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Oooh! I made those last year from your blog and they were a HIT! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :D

27 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes October 30, 2013 at 12:07 pm

YES! I am totally more snacky when I’m tired. I figure my body is lacking energy so I need to give it a little extra until I can catch up on sleep!
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Everyone should attend a pig roast in their lifetime.

28 Fizz @fizzsbizz October 30, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Oh man, just try and tear me away from sweets this week! I am a snack machine!!
I blame it on recent insomnia and a cold weather change.
Fizz @fizzsbizz recently posted..A craving for salad!! Who am I??

29 Melanie October 30, 2013 at 12:16 pm

what brand is that nail polish & what is the name? I LOVE!

30 Courtney October 30, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Essie Penny Talk!

31 Melanie October 30, 2013 at 1:08 pm

thank you! I knew it was Essie, that brand of polish goes on so smoothly!

32 Jessica October 30, 2013 at 12:48 pm

OmG!! Who doesn’t love sweets? Sleep deprive or not: they.are.cool! I think most of us have a sweet tooth, but we “try” to avoid it! btw your donut looks delish and your little pirate is adorable!

33 Jenny October 30, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Yes, yes, and yes! I am a chocoholic in the most severe form! This time of year is dangerous for me! Lol
Jenny recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday {10.30.2013}

34 Laura @losingrace October 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm

That pirate costume is too cute!

35 Sara October 30, 2013 at 1:52 pm

My little one must be going through a growth spurt too because he used to only get up once a night, but now it’s twice and I’m dying. I’m still on maternity leave and find myself reaching for the Halloween candy every time I walk by. Thank goodness tomorrow is Halloween and I can get it out of the house.

36 Lauren October 30, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Your son is so adorable! Every picture you’ve posted is so cute. I also snack on sweets when I’m tired… I just can’t help myself!

37 Michelle October 30, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I read your blog today about being sleep deprived. There is a lady who writes a
blog about her children and today she wrote about establishing a sleep pattern for newborns. She had alot of good ideas that have helped her. Her blog is feathersinournest.com. You might want to check it out.

38 leigh October 30, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Love the honest WIAW post … sometimes after I read these on blogs, I feel awful about what I ate for the day. Some days you just need the sugar!

39 Heather @fitncookies October 30, 2013 at 5:41 pm

let me just say I crave sweets all.the.time!! I loved all your treats and everything you enjoyed yesterday :) Holy Moly is Lucas adorable! I can’t wait to see more pictures :)
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..It’s really Wednesday today

40 Leigha @ Minougirl October 30, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I’ve definitely had those days! I try to keep them on the weekends though :) on those days I wonder why I even eat normal meals because they do nothing to my craving for sweets!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Mexican Quinoa Salad

41 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections October 30, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Awww, Lucas is adorable! I love your nail color, btw!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Quickie Incline Walk

42 Holly October 30, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Lucas as a pirate is WAY too cute…can’t even take his cuteness :D And that apple cider donut…..please send one to FL asap ;)

43 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 30, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Love Lucas’s costume!

I crave sweets all the time… sleep deprived or not!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW: Favorite Snack Bars

44 Becky@TheSavedRunner October 30, 2013 at 9:31 pm

We all need those days where we just need snacks/sweets. Hey you still got some veggies in your day! :)

45 Stacie October 30, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Glad to know I wasn’t the only one with a sweet tooth today! I might I have had brownies for lunch…maybe…

46 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 30, 2013 at 10:27 pm

If I’m lacking in sleep, I’m pretty much covering everything in chocolate or caramel sauce. Cannot get enough sweet stuff! I’ve been taking in a lot of sweets this week in general – I blame the combo of birthday and Halloween tomorrow ;-) Oh well!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: Birthday Part 2.

47 Annette@FitnessPerks October 30, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Mmmmmm I LOVE a good cup of hot cocoa on a cold day!

And if I am lacking in sleep, I try and drink a lot of water…but yah, I usually head for the carbs–not necessarily sweets per say, but I grab ‘easier’ things like breads & stuff.

But with my mom here, I am catching up on sleep & have eaten pretty well while being sleep deprived!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Newborn Beauty

48 Danica @ It's Progression October 30, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Sleep absolutely affects my eating habits/hunger for the next day. There are actually scientific studies that will prove that sleep really does affect metabolism, for better or worse. I hope that this little spurt of less sleep gets better soon for you!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..wiaw: post-race eats

49 Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom October 31, 2013 at 6:57 am

Oh goodness, yes. My girl is 15 months old now, but back when she was younger and not sleeping as well (and I was nursing still), I was ravenous for sweets all day long. Exhaustion + nursing is a pretty terrible combo for your appetite and cravings, am I right? Even now if we have a rough teething night with a few wake ups, I find myself heading straight for the baked goods as soon as my alarm goes off!
Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom recently posted..Keeping Up With the Krappy Parents

50 Nala October 31, 2013 at 7:23 am

Lol, it’s amazing that I felt exactly the same way yesterday. Not only was I tired, I was anxious and stressed about a speech I had to give – bad combo. So yeah, I pretty much ate every kind of food and sweets I could get my hands on. Not to good for me, but it happens

51 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty October 31, 2013 at 7:59 am

I turn into a garbage disposal when I am sleep deprived! It’s like I can’t eat enough to satisfy me until BOOOM I’m stuffed and then just feel stuffed and tired. I usually go back and forth during the entire day between sweet, salty, sweet, salty.
Lucas is the cutest little pirate in all the land btw!
Happy Halloween beautiful!