A Day in the Life: A Working Mom

by Courtney on November 19, 2013

Hey hey guys! How’s it goin? Believe it or not, I actually found a few extra minutes to put together a post I’ve been meaning to do for weeks now…’A Day in the Life’ of Yours Truly. I seriously love reading these posts when other people do them (I suppose it’s that nosiness of mine?). So if you’re anything like me, then hopefully you’ll enjoy getting a little sneak peek into a typical day of mine, too. Enjoy!

*****

3:30am – I hear a certain little boy on the baby monitor. This is his one typical wake up during the night (it’s usually anywhere between 2-4:30), so I go in to feed him. He nurses, falls right back to sleep in my arms, and I’m back into bed about 20 minutes later.

5:40am – Alarm goes off…hit snooze button.

5:49am – Alarm goes off again…whoops. There’s that snooze button again.

6:07am – Shoot. Somehow I missed another snooze in there without even realizing it. Time to get moving. Hop in the shower, brush teeth, do make up, and dry hair.

6:45-6:50am – Jay goes in to wake up Lucas. Some mornings he wakes up on his own, but today he needed a little help. Lucas and daddy laugh and chat on the changing table while I iron an outfit for the day.

7:00am – Time for Lucas’s breakfast. I nurse him on our bed while catching up on Good Morning America. Love that crew in the morning.

7:20am – Lucas is done eating. I quickly throw the curling iron in my hair, put on my outfit for the day, then spend a few minutes playing with Lucas.

7:30am – Time to get ready to head out the door! We get Lucas all bundled up and Jay puts him in his car seat while I grab my breakfast and lunch bag, my pump bag, and Lucas’s diaper bag. Hands are full, but we’re off.

IMG_4258-001

7:45am – Drop Lucas off at Erika’s house. Sometimes he’s asleep, sometimes he’s awake. Sometimes he even likes to scream the whole car ride over. Yeah…those mornings are fun. Luckily, today wasn’t one of them.

8:00am – Arrive at work…although, lately, it’s a few minutes later than 8:00am. I’m still working on mastering the morning routine. Get to my desk, log in, do a quick glance over of emails to make sure nothing is super urgent. Head to the kitchen to make my coffee and prep today’s breakfast of choice…an english muffin with PB & banana.

I eat breakfast at my desk while getting started with work for the day.

10:00am – Time to pump. I head to the nursing room at work and go ahead do my thang. It usually takes about 15-20 minutes, and then I’m back to work. Today, I also snacked on a banana while I was in there.

11:00am – Meeting + a snack. I run this particular meeting today, so I make sure to have my mini KIND bar before heading to the conference room.

12:30pm – Lunch time. And talk about an ugly looking lunch, eh? Today happened to be one of those days where I did no prep ahead of time, and was super thankful to have a frozen meal on hand. This one was some sort of meal by Amy’s, and it was okay, but nothing to rave about.

1:00pm – Time to pump once again. I also check in with Erika to see how Lucas is doing so far today.

2:30pm – Snack time. Today’s snack included a Greek yogurt with strawberries + about a gazillion handfuls of trail mix.

3:30pm – Done with work for the day! I tie up any loose ends and then I’m out the door to go pick up Lucas.

3:45pm – Pick Lucas up from Erika’s house, talk about his day (he had two solid naps today, woo hoo!), then head back home.

4:05pm – Arrive at home. Today, Lucas fell asleep in the car on the way, so I keep him in his seat to finish out his nap.

4:15pm – Empty my dirty tupperware containers, Lucas’s dirty bottles, and my pump parts into the sink. Put my pumped milk from the day into the fridge. Lucas is still asleep so I take advantage of the quiet time and do some blog work.

4:45pm – Lucas wakes up from his catnap and I nurse him while catching the end of Ellen.

5:00pm – Jay arrives home from work and the three of us enjoy some family time together. This is one of my favorite parts of the day.

IMG_4093-001

5:30pm – Both Jay and I are starving so we decide to throw together a quick dinner. Jay goes out to the kitchen to start cooking while I hang out a bit longer with the little man.

6:00pm – Dinner time. We put Lucas in his swing and he hangs out next to us while we eat at the coffee table.

Tonight, all we can muster up is a couple of chicken sausages and some baked sweet potatoes. We’re too lazy to even cook an extra veggie. Ahh well…we weren’t really in the mood for one anyways.

6:45pm – Time to start Lucas’s bedtime routine. Tonight is a “tubby” night (we usually do a real bath every 2-3 days and sponge baths the other days) so Jay gets the tub ready in the kitchen sink while I take Lucas in to get unchanged and get his towel, soap, etc.

7:00pm – Tubby is done! Lucas hates being cold, so he screams for a while I get him dried off and put a diaper on. Next up is his leg massage, and he calms right down once we start. He looooooves his leg massage. Once his massage is over, we put on his jammies, and Lucas gets his last “fly by” for the night with dad.

7:15pm – I nurse Lucas one last time, get him in his SwaddleMe, then we read a story. Our favorite bedtime book is, would ya look at that…”The Going To Bed Book.” Winking smile While I’m nursing Lucas, Jay takes care of cleaning and sterilizing the bottles and pump parts and getting his new bottles ready for tomorrow.

7:25 – Lucas is asleep and I put him to bed. I head out to the living room and collapse into the couch for a bit while catching up with Jay about our days.

7:45pm – Make lunch for tomorrow, throw in a load of laundry. I debate on whether or not I want to do some sort of workout…not tonight. I crawl into my PJ’s instead.

8:00pm – Settle in to watch How I Met Your Mother with a little dish of ice cream for dessert.

9:00pm – On this particular night, I’m feeling a bit tired but I know I still need to give Lucas his dream feed so I try to stay up. I wind up falling asleep on the couch until Jay wake me up at about 10:30pm. Hey…nothin’ like a little pre-bedtime power nap, eh?

10:30pm – Wash my face, brush my teeth, then go in to give Lucas his dream feed. He nurses easily and I put him right back down.

11:00pm – Finally…bed time.

And then we start it all over again. Smile

What are some of your favorite parts of your day??

1 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries November 19, 2013 at 7:45 am

BUSY, BUSY lady!! Does it all come naturally? I feel like I’d be such a hot mess, not knowing what to do!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..AdvoCare Coach!

2 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers November 19, 2013 at 7:56 am

I feel the exact same way! I know NOTHING about babies and feel like I need to take some kind of a crash course before Ryan and I think about having one of our own. :) Loved this little peek into your routine, Courtney! And the pics of Lucas, too, of course. What a cutie!
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Return of Peppermint Crème Coffee

3 Brittany Dixon November 19, 2013 at 11:06 am

I wouldn’t say it all comes naturally, but you figure it out pretty quickly! I used to be so intimidated by babies (how do I hold them? Do I talk to them? Ahhh! Why are they crying?!) but when it’s your own, you naturally step up and take charge. I was much more at ease with Hailey than I ever was with any other baby.
Hoping it feels the same way when I have 2 (ahh- scary!).
Brittany Dixon recently posted..Second Pregnancy: Weeks 6-9

4 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I totally agree with this! There are certain things now that have just become second nature, but before I had Lucas I’d often worry, how the heck am I gonna know how to do x, y, z… It’s amazing how you adapt to your baby!

5 Holly November 19, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Julie,
Gabriella would LOVE to let you ‘borrow’ her anytime! ;) She’s always available for a crash course :D

6 alyssa November 19, 2013 at 9:28 am

Me too? God bless you, and all the other mommas! I’m never going to complain about being tired again!
alyssa recently posted..Three!

7 alyssa November 19, 2013 at 9:28 am

*Me too!! (Not a question, haha)
alyssa recently posted..Three!

8 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Haha some of it does and some of it doesn’t. But I can tell you I felt EXACTLY the same way before Lucas arrived! I’d talk with friends about what they were doing with their babies and be like, umm, how do you know you need to do that?? It is pretty amazing though just how quickly you’ll adapt to (most of, not all) of your baby’s needs!

9 Melissa November 19, 2013 at 7:46 am

I love this post! Such a fun and interesting read. Some of the favorite parts of my day are the early morning and night, after dinner, when I’m enjoying my coffee, reading and watching TV!
Melissa recently posted..Friendly Signs: Don’t Wait for it, Show it

10 Tiff November 19, 2013 at 7:51 am

The life of a new mama ain’t easy! Goodness knows I’m learning that myself. My little guy is 6 weeks, but I do eventually plan to return to work. That makes this post extra interesting for my nosy self! ;)
Tiff recently posted..Checking In

11 Christy November 19, 2013 at 8:05 am

Love it! Very similar to days in our house lately. Where do you work? Having a nursing room is awesome! Wish we had one where I work.
Christy recently posted..Klutz

12 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat November 19, 2013 at 8:09 am

Wow…busy, busy! Being a new mom definitely doesn’t seem easy, but I’m sure it’s all worth it in the end.
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..{Guest Post} If I was Holly for a Day

13 Parita @ myinnershakti November 19, 2013 at 8:12 am

Phew – I’m tired just thinking about your day! But I’m sure your little man makes it all worthwhile. Sometimes I freak out a little on the inside when I think about having kids, the routine, our busy schedules, etc. But then I think about the millions of parents who do it every single day and tell myself to calm down…it all works out and/or you find a way to work it all out!

14 Heather Jarosh November 19, 2013 at 8:14 am

I love hearing and seeing what other’s do all day :) I guess it’s my nosiness, too. You are certainly busy, and hardly have any free moments to yourself! I am sure you don’t mind, though :) Love looking at pictures of Lucas :) He is adorable!
Heather Jarosh recently posted..No Floor Core {Workout}

15 Stacey M. November 19, 2013 at 8:26 am

Loved this post Courtney … once again you’ve chose to “keep it real” with us. Your schedule sounds a lot like my fiance’s sister’s schedule. She has a 2-year old son, is currently pregnant with her second, and also works part-time at a dentist’s office. We often talk about how busy her day is, usually lasting from 6 AM to 10 PM. Having a child is certainly not easy, but now she’s preparing for the second and I’m sure things will get absolutely crazy once he arrives. I applaud all working moms out there … it’s certainly no simple task! So glad to hear that you and Jay are working it out though – it’s so nice that he’s so willing and able to help you out as much as possible.

And, to answer the question of the day, my favorite part of the day is about an hour before bed when I get to sit down, relax and visit with my fiance.

16 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 19, 2013 at 8:26 am

Wow! I don’t know how you’re fitting blogging in with everything else you have to do! Staying at home with Addie is tough enough. I can’t imagine trying to juggle everything that you do!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Addison Grace: 7 Months Old

17 Lauri November 19, 2013 at 8:34 am

Being a mom is exhausting and throw in woprking on top of that and some days it’s a fight just to keep your head above water! You’re doing a great job!

We used to read that same book every.single.night and I remember my son had it memorized at a very young age and used to “read” it to me :) Brings back memories. I always did wonder why they put on their PJs and THEN go exercise :)

18 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 3:03 pm

LOL my husband just commented on that the other day!! He’s like, I just don’t get it? Why so they exercise after PJ’s?? ;)

19 Karen November 19, 2013 at 8:36 am

Such a busy lady…I remember those days and trust me, once you get your routine down, it will feel a lot better :) We still love “the going to bed book”…all those books are GREAT!! I think my favorite time of the day are the random snuggles I get from Keely plus her bedtime, because it’s just mother/daughter time…LOVE!!
Karen recently posted..Thankful For…

20 Heather November 19, 2013 at 8:39 am

I’m currently 38 weeks pregnant and will also be a working mom, so this was a great sneak peak into what I can expect on a daily basis. Thanks so much! I’m sure going back to work was hard at first (I already DREAD it and my lil guy isn’t even here yet) but did it get easier pretty fast or do you still find yourself struggling on a daily basis?

21 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Some days are definitely better/worse than others. Sometimes, it feels a little nice to head off to work for the day. Other days, all I want to do is stay home and snuggle with him. I will say that I was wayyyyyy worse in the weeks leading up to it than I was once I was actually back. It was super hard, but I also got myself really worked up beforehand. It’s going to be hard, I some lie. But it does get easier! Feel free to email me anytime if you have questions and/or need to vent :)

22 Heather November 20, 2013 at 7:39 am

Thanks! I might just take ya up on that! :-)

23 Linz @ Itz Linz November 19, 2013 at 8:49 am

love these day in the life posts! what’s the leg massage? i mean clearly i can infer what it is, but i’ve never heard of it for babies? what’s the purpose? (and clearly i’m just learning about lots of new things with babies!!) :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..16 Weeks Pregnant | 4 Months

24 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I actually read it in one of my baby books. It said that it can be very soothing and relaxing for baby so I decided to try incorporating it. I really just focus on the legs and belly but sometimes we do the full body. I go over each body part as I go and Lucas absolutely loves it!

25 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 19, 2013 at 8:52 am

Busy busy busy!! It must be so nice that you can get off work at 3:30 and still get a good amount of time with your little man!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Post-Monday Motivation

26 Shel@PeachyPalate November 19, 2013 at 8:56 am

Busy jam packed day but you’ve got a good routine going!!! Don’t know how you manage to fit it all in!

27 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine November 19, 2013 at 8:56 am

Wow! Busy, busy! But Lucas is such a cutie! I love his sweet face :)

28 Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food November 19, 2013 at 8:59 am

Wow, busy day! I know I’d still work if my husband and I had kids, so now at least I have an idea of what I’d be getting myself into. That post-work at home time is also my favorite time of the day, just relaxing with the husband and pets before dinner.
Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted..NYC Recap Part Two

29 Melissa @ For Love and Travel November 19, 2013 at 9:02 am

You are a busy woman. No wonder you need some breaks from the blog, don’t know how you do it all. Seems like it’s all working out for you. At least I know what to expect all over again.
Melissa @ For Love and Travel recently posted..Weekend Update {11/18}

30 chelcie @ chelcie's food files November 19, 2013 at 9:03 am

wow that is a crazy busy schedule! I would be falling asleep on the couch by 9pm if i was you also! sounds like you have a great hang on things though!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..How To Make Delicious Sweet Potato “Nachos”

31 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution November 19, 2013 at 9:09 am

You are incredible. Thanks so much for this. My husband and I are starting to think about getting pregnant, so your blog is SUPER interesting for me. I won’t be able to stay home long after giving birth, so I really like seeing how this goes for you. Thanks, Courtney.
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Wedding Recap #1: Pre-Wedding

32 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige November 19, 2013 at 9:12 am

Courtney, you are super mom! Lucas is such a lucky boy to have you :) :)
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..A New Perception of Myself

33 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun November 19, 2013 at 9:18 am

My favorite parts of the day are always at night when I just get to hang out with my husband. We may watch a movie, or just relax together but it is always so nice to unwind after the day!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..A Hodgepodge of Cardio

34 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life November 19, 2013 at 9:20 am

What a crazy day! I can’t imagine doing that EVERY DAY. Superwoman!!
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..Holiday Decorating: Dorm Edition

35 Emmarie November 19, 2013 at 9:23 am

This was so great!! I’m expecting my first, and this helps me get an understanding of what things might be like.

36 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns November 19, 2013 at 9:25 am

Love posts like these!! Seriously how do you do it all day after day?? This seems so exhausting! And I have a feeling I would be a nut case haha. No wonder they say moms are super woman :)
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Couch Potato

37 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 19, 2013 at 9:39 am

I love reading these sorts of posts! You definitely stay busy – being a new mom clearly isn’t easy! I’d say it looks like you have a great handle on it though!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Book Review: Allegiant.

38 Gracie November 19, 2013 at 9:40 am

Wow girl, how do you do it?! You’re an inspiration!
Gracie recently posted..holiday bucket list.

39 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 19, 2013 at 9:40 am

You are busy!! I laughed when I saw your dinner, because I basically had the same thing last night — baked chicken with ketchup and a sweet potato. I thought about making broccoli to go with it, but decided against it :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Life is Messy Sometimes

40 Ali November 19, 2013 at 9:43 am

Busy woman!! Thanks for sharing this. It’s nice that you leave work at 3:30 so you can get a little extra time in there. I would have to take a pre-bedtime power nap every night if I were you.

41 Meg November 19, 2013 at 10:09 am

You are amazing, and this is really inspirational to read. I don’t have kids yet, but I plan on working full time when I do, and I am scared! Seeing how you do it all shows me that it can be done.

Also, I am intrigued by the leg massage? Why do you do it, and how did you even get the idea? I have never heard of this before!

42 Tiffany G. November 19, 2013 at 10:16 am

Thanks for writing this. I have been worrying about how I am going to get myself and a baby up and out the door by 7:15 every morning after baby arrives. You are very honest, which is awesome and gives me hope that I can do it too!
Tiffany G. recently posted..What will Baby G be?

43 Lauren November 19, 2013 at 10:39 am

This was a great post! Thanks for giving us insight into your new daily routine. Lucas is so adorable!
Lauren recently posted..Rosemary Chicken

44 Sarah @ Sweet Miles November 19, 2013 at 10:42 am

I’m so glad you posted this!! I always wonder what working moms do, so this helped a lot! Looks like you’ve got a great schedule figured out :)
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Marathon Training – 20 Miles

45 Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love November 19, 2013 at 10:45 am

Wow! You and Jay work great together! Me and the hubs are still trying to work out the teamwork. We both work 11-12 hour days so it’s difficult sometimes but we’re getting a better routine now.
Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love recently posted..PB Chocolate Protein Mousse

46 Lauren November 19, 2013 at 10:54 am

I am tired just reading about your day! But I love these posts as well! I guess we’re all a little nosey ;-) I’m really happy to hear you and Jay have some time together after you both get home from work. I think it’s important new parents have some time to be together as a family and just chill.

47 Jess November 19, 2013 at 10:58 am

Seems really busy! But mother’s instinct is full on work in order to get through a day like that! My sister used to be to like you when my nephew was born, and she still is, but he’s now 4 yrs so she doesn’t have to breast fed him at least! :D A mother’s work is never done

48 Brittany (a healthy slice of life) November 19, 2013 at 11:07 am

Whew, those early days and so SO busy. You sound like super mom!! It only gets easier and more predictable as they get older, but you’re already doing a wonderful job :)
Brittany (a healthy slice of life) recently posted..Second Pregnancy: Weeks 6-9

49 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I look forward to that little extra predictability down the road ;-)

50 Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change November 19, 2013 at 11:17 am

Busy day!
I love reading these type of posts! Why do we all love seeing how someone spends their entire day? Favorite parts of my day involved enjoying my chai tea latte, and relaxing with man after school is done for the day. I’m eagerly counting down the days to the end of the semester… I just want to comment and say that I love your mint/aqua waterbottle! =)
Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted..When School Ate My Life.

51 caitlyn @ city and the cubicle November 19, 2013 at 11:27 am

i love day in the life posts :) why does lucas get a leg massage? is there a reason for it? i had never heard of it (i’m childless) for babies so didn’t know if it was something important i didn’t know about!
caitlyn @ city and the cubicle recently posted..WIAW: Blogging From The Train

52 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Haha, it’s something I had read about in one of my (gazillion) books. Baby massage can be very soothing for them, so I decided to try it out with our bedtime routine and he loves it. I just focus on the legs and belly really, but you can do anything! We go over each part as a massage him too :)

53 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance November 19, 2013 at 11:37 am

Wow! I complain and I only have myself! you are a superhero!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Stitch Fix and Swing Meets Street

54 Lauren November 19, 2013 at 11:41 am

This post is incredibly helpful. I am 18 weeks pregnant and am already trying to plan out/strategize how I will manage my schedule when I have to go back to work full time 3 months post birth. I

55 Tina Reale November 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm

OH, yes! Busy life of a mama…and I was exhausted reading it too. I know it’s tough and you are doing a GREAT job.
Tina Reale recently posted..Move It Monday: Work Those Abs!

56 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Thank you, friend. Xoxo

57 Angie @ Pint of Goals November 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I love these posts, especially as a new mom myself. I am way jealous that Lucas will stay asleep in his car seat if you move him. The second I take my daughter out of car, her eyes pop open and the nap is done.
Way to make it all work Super Mama! You’re doing a great job :)

58 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Haha he’s hit or miss. He fell asleep yesterday in his seat before I picked him up from daycare but as soon as I brought him outside he was wide awake!

59 Maria November 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I’m exhausted just reading this :)

Keeping on keeping on! You are doing a fantastic job and I’m amazed by all that you get done during the day!
Maria recently posted..Just Buy Some New Clothes

60 Kristi November 19, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Sounds like you have a busy day! I’m working a regular Monday through Friday work week this week, which is unusual for me and I have to admit that I like my shift work better.
Kristi recently posted..Pretty fast (for me)

61 Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes November 19, 2013 at 12:58 pm

holy crap, i’m exhausted just reading this. I give you tons of credit!
Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes recently posted..A little bit of everything

62 Alaina November 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Thanks so much for this post, Courtney! I’m 19 weeks preggo with a little boy of my own and will have to return to work at 12 wks post-partum. I am currently trying to figure out how to adjust the scheduling to pump. I’ve read that usually, pumping is done every 3-4 hours in order to keep your milk supply up, but I noticed you only pump once at work. Did you ever have to pump more than once? It would be SO nice to only have to make one pump break during my work-day!

63 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I actually pump twice a day (it’s hiding in the post under lunch) ;-) sometimes I’ll even pump three times, if Lucas’s schedule is totally off. Those days are the worst lol.

64 Alaina November 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thanks, Courtney!!!!

65 Kaitlyn November 19, 2013 at 1:36 pm

you’re amazing :) major, major props to you!

66 Ashlee@HisnHers November 19, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I’m tired just reading that. So much feeding and pumping haha. I definitely hand it to you, mama!

67 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 19, 2013 at 1:54 pm

First thing that popped into my head? Superwoman. Holy smokes, lady, I have no idea how you do it — even just reading about your day made me feel all sorts of overwhelmed :lol: But it’s great to hear that you guys are managing so well :)

My favourite part of the day is definitely first thing in the morning. I naturally wake up pretty early, and I love being able to start my day with a couple hours of peace and quiet before things get crazy.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... as we speak #2 .

68 Holly November 19, 2013 at 1:59 pm

You are SUPERMOM, Court! Lucas is one lucky little guy!!

69 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 19, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Very busy day! But that’s so great you’re able to leave work a little earlier to get that extra time with Lucas!

70 Ruthie November 19, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I loved reading this especially since our boys are so close in age. Crazy to see L all bundled up because it’s been in the 70s-80s here! Would you mind sharing a typical post partum workout? Or have you already? I’ve been doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred the past few days and I want some new ideas for at home workouts!

71 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Actually, my workouts have been pretty sparse these days haha. Since getting back to work I’m finding it hard to fit them in! But when I do do them, I really enjoy circuit workouts with dumbbells and a stability ball, a quick treadmill workout, or I was also doing the T25 workouts for a bit before I for back to work. Those are crazy intense and only 25 minutes!

72 Ruthie November 19, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Also… Does Lucas ever have a problem going from breast to bottle? Ford used to get a few bottles a week and now he’s refusing them :(

73 Courtney November 19, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Fortunately, Lucas has been great with switching from breast to bottle. He takes a lot longer to feed from a bottle, but I did just get him level 2 nipples for the Dr. Browns bottles and I guess that’s helping his timing a bit. Have you tried more than one type of bottle? A friend of mine had to try 3 different ones before her daughter took one she liked!

74 Josie November 19, 2013 at 2:33 pm

It sounds like you are very organized.

75 Wendy @ All Kinds of Miles November 19, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I’m exhausted just reading this! I can’t imagine fitting all you do into one day– you are one busy mama!
Wendy @ All Kinds of Miles recently posted..Nike Training Club App

76 Lauren @ LaMaLu Boutique November 19, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Courtney, any thoughts on going back to morning workouts sometime in the future?
Lauren @ LaMaLu Boutique recently posted..Farm To Table Styled Shoot

77 Courtney November 20, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I’d love to eventually! But with Lucas still waking up in the middle of the night, I’m cherishing every last minute of morning sleep that I can, haha. But yes, hopefully I’ll be able to get into that routine again sometime soon!

78 Sara @ fitcupcaker November 19, 2013 at 3:45 pm

wow, super mom…if you would fit a workout in there I would be amazed! The little ones keep ya busy for sure!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Treat Yourself Tuesday: Maple Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins {Giveaway Winner}

79 Annette@FitnessPerks November 19, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I loved reading this sneak peek into your day! I’ll have to do one soon, with having a newborn. But then again, each day can be quiteeee different depending on how she sleeps at night. Hah!

Question–when you nurse, do you do both sides? I am just impressed that your nursing takes only 20 mins….I might be nursing too much since she spits up a bit, but mine is usually more than 20 mins. If that is TMI I understand! thanks!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Without A Doggie Bag

80 bridget November 20, 2013 at 10:55 am

I have the same question about bf-ing. My baby girl has only ever nursed for 10-15 mins so I can only get one side in. I was wondering if it changes as they eat more? She’s six weeks right now. Although I think (hope!) She’s going through a growth spurt because she’s nursing ever two hours or less!

And you are awesome Courtney!! I’m still struggling to get a load of laundry and the dishes done on a typical day. Good job mama

81 Courtney November 20, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Hey ladies! Definitely not TMI…no worries.

When Lucas was younger, I usually only fed him on one side at a time. That was enough to keep him full. Eventually (I don’t remember when?) he needed more than that so I did both sides at each feeding.

As he’s gotten older, he’s also gotten MUCH quicker with his eating. It definitely used to take us 30-45 minutes for each feeding (sometimes longer!) but now we’re usually done within about 20 minutes…which is awesome, haha!

And Annette, Lucas is also a HUGE spitter. Sometimes even projectile. We need to keep a towel (not a burp cloth, towel) on the floor next to his rocker in his room. So yes, I feel ya there!

82 Barbara November 19, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I remember the days – working full-time and being a parent is very challenging, but you have it down! I have to give you credit for continuing to nurse and pump, I did not do that when I went back to work.

83 Sara November 19, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Thanks for sharing Courtney. We are in the last couple of weeks before I go back to work full time. Some days I look forward to it and other days I don’t want to go back :) Glad to see you guys found a routine that works for you.

84 Hillary November 19, 2013 at 4:54 pm

LONGGG day! You’re a super mama!

85 Jen@PregnantDiabetic November 19, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Oh man, I’m so nervous about having a newborn in the house again and all of the nursing sessions!! My youngest is 5.5, so it’s going to be like starting all over when baby arrives in April. I am excited to have a snuggly, breastfeeding baby again though :)
Jen@PregnantDiabetic recently posted..18 Weeks

86 Danica @ It's Progression November 19, 2013 at 6:03 pm

This was really fun to read!! I guess I’m pretty nosey too ;) You definitely have a busy day – I’m impressed you find time to blog!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Find the Extraordinary in the Ordinary

87 Leigha @ Minougirl November 19, 2013 at 7:20 pm

These are my favorite posts! I was planning on doing one tomorrow! Glad to see you’re getting in the swing of things:)
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..One Year Down, Three to Go

88 Courtney @ Our Latte Love November 19, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I love posts like these ( I guess it’s the nosey side of me too!). It’s so nice that you have a dedicated pumping room at work – when I was working I had a choice of a bathroom in the school nurses office or locking my classroom door and hiding in the corner (my choice), ick…
Courtney @ Our Latte Love recently posted..Help!?! Photo Shoot!

89 Ellie@Fit for the soul November 19, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Hehehe I really enjoyed reading that! I guess I’m extra nosy about your daily life since I have a little one of my own. ;) And my favorite time of day is when we wake up because Selah is EXTRA SMILEY AND HAPPY, and also when my husband gets back from work! It’s always exciting to talk about our days and see how I can help him by talking it out, and then having his help with Selah is definitely welcome. Hah!
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Eating Solids: 5 Months

90 chelsey November 19, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Does Lucas also always have a bib on him like my Emme? I swear my child spits up a freakishly large amount. It sounds like you’ve got a system down pat!

91 Courtney November 20, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Ummmm, yes. All day, every day. And even to bed.
I long for the day when I can actually see whatever cute outfit I put him in and it’s not all covered up in a freakin’ bib. ;)

92 Amanda M Perry November 20, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Mine was like that too!!! I felt the same way…so excited when I could finally see all of his clothes for real. :)
Amanda M Perry recently posted..It’s Not Easy For Anyone

93 Becky @ TheBexFactor.com November 19, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Being a working mama is a tough job but sounds like you’re doing awesome!

I just wonder what kind of workouts you do at home. I used to Crossfit but I’m a single mom back to work with the dad only around on weekends so I can no longer do the crazy lifting and stuff and need to find something new that will motivate me to workout.
Becky @ TheBexFactor.com recently posted..Weekend Recap

94 Ashley@cupcakesncrunches November 19, 2013 at 11:58 pm

You’re supermom!

I have a 6 week old little boy, Atlas, & we struggle to make it out the door anywhere – we are always late everywhere we go now! I’m so impressed you can make it out the door for work before 8am! I’m beginning to think I won’t be on time for anything again until Atlas is 5.

Lucas is a doll!

95 Jenn@Be ME November 20, 2013 at 6:44 am

Thank you SO much for writing this post. I am a working mom and lately, I have been reading blogs that feature moms who stay at home, and I have been feeling bad about working. Your day looks similar to mine!!!
Jenn@Be ME recently posted..Take back your Thanksgiving!

96 Sylvia November 20, 2013 at 10:03 am

Loved this post! I giggled when you said sometimes Lucas screams the whole way to the babysitters. LOL

97 Courtney November 20, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Oh yes, haha…those days are just wonnnnnnnderful ;)

98 JessicaR November 20, 2013 at 1:16 pm

WOW! I’m seriously impressed! :) I’ve decided to not have kids, so it’s interesting to see what it’s like for those who do. I don’t think I could do it!! :)

99 Nala November 20, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Wow! I never realized just how busy you are and you still manage to keep STSL updated? You are indeed supermom! It was wonderful to get a peek into your daily life with your cute lil man. I would love to ready more of these – I think they’re nice just like the WIAW =)

100 stacey November 20, 2013 at 7:00 pm

dreamfeed?

101 brittany November 21, 2013 at 2:08 am

Thank you for this interesting and timely post, Courtney! My baby is just a couple of weeks younger than your adorable Lucas, and I’ll be heading back to work very soon. On top of the anxiety of having the babe start daycare, it is overwhelming to envision doing the morning thing/pumping at work/maintaining some structure in the evenings. I will definitely be using your routine for reference. Major props to you for maintaining a sense of humor while seriously doing it all. Supermama!

102 Caitlin November 21, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I NEVER could tire of pics of your little boy. He is so precious! Oh, and I totally feel him on hating being cold. I wish it was appropriate for me to cry in between getting out of the shower and getting dressed :P
I eat my lunch at my desk at work too, while I’m getting settled in. Definitely a nice way to start the day. I can’t stand eating on the fly when I’m going to work, and I don’t want to wake up any earlier to eat. So eating at my desk is the answer. That Amy’s meal does indeed look a little questionable, haha. But your dinner doesn’t! I love turkey sausage and potato!
Caitlin recently posted..Ellovi Body Butter – Giveaway!

103 Nancy November 21, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Wow, what a long day!! I totally admire you – I’d be exhausted by Wednesday let alone the weekend. Oof.
Nancy recently posted..Get Ready To Hydrate Your Skin For Winter

104 Sanaz@ Run for Cake November 21, 2013 at 11:05 pm

My daughter just turned one this week and reading your post gave me flashbacks of a few months ago. You got it down to a T. Your doing awesome and just keep at it. I wish I captured this while she was younger because I feel like I forgot some of the little details. And all those hours with that pump… I wish I forgot that lol. What we do for our nuggets :)

105 Danielle @ Green is the New Black November 22, 2013 at 7:19 am

Loved reading this! I think it’s helpful as a mom to see how other mom’s balance everything out and it definitely helps with ideas! Sounds like you have a good routine down, but I’m sure its exhausting and rewarding all at the same time!
Danielle @ Green is the New Black recently posted..Friday Things

106 Beks November 22, 2013 at 9:15 am

You and Jay have such an awesome partnership. Sounds like a good day. :-)