Lucas: 4 Months

by Courtney on December 3, 2013

I’m so glad I’ve decided to write these monthly updates for Lucas. I’ve already found myself going back to his older ones just to see what was happening and/or what has changed. My goodness, how things have been changing. Slowly but surely, Mr. Lucas is turning into a little human being that can do more and more everyday.

Lucas 4 Months

A few weeks ago, I was reading Ruthie’s monthly update post and really loved the way she outlined everything, so I’m totally stealing that for Lucas’s update this month.

Weight & Height: We’ll find out at his well check appointment this morning – I’ll update later!

Eating: Lucas continues to eat like a champ. On days that he doesn’t go to daycare, I exclusively breastfeed him. On daycare days, he’ll usually take 2-3 bottles of breastmilk, depending on the day, and each bottle is usually about 4-5 ounces, depending on what I pumped. This month, he’s shown that he can become easily distracted while eating on occasion, so when that happens we need to move to a quieter area (usually away from the TV…he becomes mesmerized). He’s still quite the spitter upper, and some days I worry that he’s losing too much food, but he’s still gaining well so the doctor didn’t seem concerned. So for now, we’ll just continue to have him in a bib all day…every day.

IMG_5580IMG_5570

Sleeping (naps): At this point, I’d say 5 days out of 7, Lucas has gotten into a fairly good nap routine. His first two naps of the day are usually anywhere between 1-1/2 to 2 hours, and his third nap is usually anywhere between 45 minutes to 1-1/2 hours. Depending on his schedule for the day, he may or may not take a fourth cat nap, which is usually in his swing. For all naps (unless in the swing or a car seat) he’s swaddled and in the crib.

Sleeping (at night): Not too much change here from last month. He usually goes down around 7:15pm, gets a dream feed anywhere between 10-11pm, and gets up for the day anywhere between 6:30-7:00pm. There are some nights where he does sleep through the night without an extra wake up (and those nights are incredible). Most nights, he still wakes up once to feed quick (I’m back in bed within about 20 minutes) anywhere between 3-5am. If he does happen to wake up at 5:00am, he’ll sometimes sleep until 8-8:30am, so when that happens on the weekends, I’m ecstatic.

Unfortunately, we’re still having trouble transitioning him from his Rock ‘n’ Play to his crib at night. While he’s fine in the crib for naps, it’s a totally different story at night, which has left the two of us scratching our heads (and grabbing an extra glass of wine) quite a few times. I had originally planned on sticking with the transition and doing it while I was home for the Thanksgiving holiday, but we wound up back peddling, didn’t stick with it, and he’s still in the darn RNP in his own room. As much as I’ve loved that thing (he has always slept SO well in it), I really wish we had tried to transition him from it sooner. I know the longer we wait, the more difficult it could be…it just seems like every night comes with a “good excuse” to wait until the next night. Ahh well…we’ll get there eventually. Right?

Clothing: Depending on the maker, Lucas is wearing anything from 3-6 months. Some 3 month clothes fit great (most of the Carters brand does) and some 6 month clothes fit just as well (the Babies R Us brand). If Lucas is going to wear full length onesies (long sleeves and pants) they almost always need to have feet; otherwise, they’re usually too short for his long limbs!

Social: I don’t know how we got so lucky, but we have been blessed with such a happy baby. Granted, don’t get me wrong…with that happy personality also comes a very strong personality. When Lucas is angry, he has no problem letting us know it, and can throw a pretty good tantrum. But overall, he really is a happy, smiley little boy that can melt my heart in an instant.

New this month: Month four has come with lots of new developments! Lucas has been talking up a storm, making all sorts of new sounds. One of my favorites is this sweet, gentle sound that almost always sounds like he’s saying “Hiiiii.” He’s a rock star at holding his head up on his own and can easily hang out while being held without the extra head support. He’s also shown a big interest in “standing” so figured it was a good time to break out his jumper.

He proved us right…he loves the thing!

He’s also progressed from simply reaching out towards a toy to grabbing it with full force with one or both hands (which then usually goes straight to his mouth).

He’s fascinated by his feet, and this month he’s finally been able to get those toes of his right into his mouth. For that reason, trying to keep socks on those little feet is practically impossible.

Lucas has also been rocking at tummy time. He’ll easily give us a good 10-15 minutes, and within the past couple of days, he starts kicking his legs/feet like a mad man, pulling his knees up to his chest, and half rolling his butt side to side.

Full rolls from tummy to back and back to tummy are still rare, but he’ll occasionally do one or the other with a little extra push.

Likes: His Taggie, Sophie the Giraffe, reading books, listening to music (he loves Bruno Mars and the Raffi station on Pandora), having me and Jay sing to him (he’ll give us some of his best laughs when we sing together!), his swing, the piano mat, playing “airplane” with daddy, being swaddled, watching football and Jake and the Neverland Pirates on TV

Dislikes: Being cold (right after a tubby), being in his Bumbo seat for too long, his crib at night (sigh…), being holed up in his car seat for too long, and staying in the same spot for too long…little man likes to look around and be on the move!

Mommy: Overall, I’m doing great! I’m feeling good about being back to work, and even though my days are usually busy from start to finish, we’ve got a pretty good routine going that seems to be working well for everyone. There’s been a few times recently where I’ve felt a little overwhelmed, but I think that’s normal (right?). Recently, Jay and I were also talking about how we sometimes miss the ability to be spontaneous – to be able to just hang out with friends or go out to dinner on a whim. Don’t get me wrong…we would obviously not have our situation ANY other way. I love being a mom to this sweet boy of mine. But if I’m being honest (as I usually try to be), I do sometimes miss my ability to be a little selfish with my time. Hey, maybe in another, what, 18 years? Winking smile

Comparison:

Lucas 1 MonthLucas 2 monthsIMG_5378

Happy 4 Months, sweet Lucas. You make me fall more and more in love with you each and every day.

1 Heather @fitncookies December 3, 2013 at 6:59 am

I just can’t get over how adorable he is! His smile is contagious and just beautiful! Love that he is doing so well, and he just looks like such a social baby! So cute! I love reading these updates :)
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Holiday Traditions and a Lower Body Workout

2 Danielle @ Green is the New Black December 3, 2013 at 7:04 am

Your little boy is absolutely adorable! We had the opposite problem with the Rock ‘n’ play (he wouldn’t nap anywhere else, but was ok in his crib at night, by ok I mean still waking up every couple of hours, but it made no difference where he slept!) You’ll get him out of there eventually! Love reading these types of posts and as you mentioned, I’m sure it’s fun to look back at them!
Danielle @ Green is the New Black recently posted..A Marvelous start to the Holiday Season

3 Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes December 3, 2013 at 7:24 am

Happy 4 months Lucas! He’s such a cutie. You’re going to love having these to look back on even more in a few years! It’s hard to remember exactly what they were like at each stage!
Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes recently posted..Top 10 things about being pregnant.

4 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life December 3, 2013 at 8:13 am

Those onesies with ties just kill me lol! He is so adorable! I can’t believe he is already 4 months! I just read Ashley’s recap of Hunter’s 8 months, and I am seriously in awe that these babies are getting so big! Time goes fast, but I am sure you definitely appreciate your recaps now that you can look back and see the changes!

5 Karen December 3, 2013 at 8:26 am

I know you still have Lucas swaddled and I’m sure you’re thinking about getting him out of the swaddle at some point as well as ditching the RNP at night right? We did both at the same time (yes we threw caution to the wind and just went for it!) We did it at exactly 4 months. We had the RNP in our bedroom at night still but our daughter was taking 3 awesome naps a day in her crib/swaddled in her own bedroom. We bought a baby merlins magic sleep suit and put her in that in her crib the night of her 4 month birthday at 7:30pm like usual and did not hear a peep until 7am!! We had also been doing a dream feed around 10pm and we skipped that too. She’s 7 months tomorrow and we’ve never looked back! She’s now out of the sleep suit and sleeps in jammie’s and a regular loose sleep sack for warmth. A girlfriend of mine has also had successful 12 hour nights in the crib in the sleep suit. I really suggest it as a way to ditch the swaddle and get him in his crib. Good luck!

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 3, 2013 at 8:53 am

Adorable, as always!! And I love the honesty. I struggle with the same thing. As humans I think we’re naturally selfish, and I think I got an extra dose because I was an only child whose mother did too much for her haha. So it’s been quite a transition to now be caring for another human being! I wouldn’t want it any other way and I love that little girl SO SO SO much, but sometimes I would like to be able to just do what I want, when I want. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..An early Christmas celebration

7 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine December 3, 2013 at 8:53 am

He is such a cutie! And is so, so big! Wow! :)

8 Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner December 3, 2013 at 8:54 am

I love that his personality shines in these pictures! He is so adorable! Great idea with the photos next to the monkey, too! It’s a great way to gauge his growth over the months! So happy to hear you and Jay are doing well!
Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner recently posted..November Goals: Week Four

9 Melissa December 3, 2013 at 8:59 am

Great photos! So glad to hear/see how well he’s doing. Wishing you and your family all the best!
Melissa recently posted..Sweeten Up Your Morning!

10 Sara December 3, 2013 at 9:06 am

I love these updates. Lucas is so cute. Such a sweet boy. I also love how honest you are because I have a lot of the same feelings and always wonder if they’re normal or not.
Keep doing what you’re doing mamma — you guys are great parents!

11 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 3, 2013 at 9:06 am

Love these updates! :) He’s getting so big, I can hardly believe it! I had to laugh about the personality thing – he sounds very much like Hunter. A happy baby most of the time, but he’s also very clear about what he wants when he wants it. Cody called from just a few months old that Hunter will be a strong willed child, and I see it come out more and more by the day! Fun, fun. ;) I feel ya on the spontaneity thing too, especially even more these days. Initially when he was itty bitty, I didn’t want to leave his side, but now I find myself needing and wanting a break from time to time. Like you said, I wouldn’t trade being his mom for anything in the world, but I can relate to those feelings! You’re doing a great job, Court! He sure is a cutie.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Hunter: 8 Months

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 3, 2013 at 9:15 am

It’s so crazy to see how much he’s grown from the one month to the four month picture! He’s such an adorable baby, and I’m happy to hear that the two of you are doing well.
And while the ‘tummy time’ picture is cute, I can’t help but laugh at Cody in the background on that one :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Goal Talk: December.

13 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life December 3, 2013 at 9:17 am

What a CUTIE!! He’s definitely looking less “newborn-y” now. More like an infant! :) I’m sure one day when I’m a mom I’ll write these recap posts… I bet they’re super helpful to look back on! Keep doing what you’re doing :)
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..Tuesday Thoughts 12/3

14 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian December 3, 2013 at 9:26 am

What a CUTIE! He’s growing up so fast!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Two Year Blogiversary and Thanksgiving

15 Shel@PeachyPalate December 3, 2013 at 9:30 am

Love the comparison pics! You truly will treasure these posts. Great that sleeps are going so well..long may it last at night time!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Almond Thumbprints!

16 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat December 3, 2013 at 9:34 am

Wow, is Lucas getting big! You can really see it in those comparison pics. I’m sure the time must be flying by for both of you, but I’m thrilled that all is well. Lucas is definitely the cutest!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Improved Theme Preview, Widgets Management, and a Responsive Dashboard

17 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 3, 2013 at 9:35 am

I can hardly believe that Lucas is already 4 months old!! It is crazy how fast time flies! What a precious little boy! You can see so much of his personality coming through in the pictures!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..My Personal Favorites Giveaway

18 Angie @ Pint of Goals December 3, 2013 at 9:42 am

I love Lucas updates! My daughter, Finley, is about a month older than your little one, and it’s fun to see him grow and notice their similarities. Fin also loves her exer-saucer thing (we have the same one) and chewing on Sophie. It sounds like Lucas is a great napper! I am jealous – we’ve been dealing with 45 minute naps for the last month :( Good luck on the RNP to crib transfer!

19 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance December 3, 2013 at 12:10 pm

It sounds like you guys are doing really great. It’s so amazing how much Lucas has grown in just 4 months! He is such a cute little guy. I’m sure you guys will be able to get a bit more spontaneous sooner than 18 years! :)
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..After Thanksgiving: Run Your Turkey Off

20 Jessica December 3, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Hey don’t worry about the sleep transition, it will come. My son slept in a vibrating bouncy seat for 8 weeks and then went to his crib, but we had to rock him to sleep with a hair dryer turned on for noise. That sucked, but we made it through and he became a good sleeper!
Jessica recently posted..Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Third Trimester!

21 Ashlee@HisnHers December 3, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I’m loving the tie stick ons for the months! So cute. I swear he gets cuter with every update. I’d love to see a video of him!!
Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted..Treat Yo Self: PINK FRIDAY

22 Brittany Dixon December 3, 2013 at 2:17 pm

He’s just adorable!!
And yes, it’s totally normal to miss having some free time. I didn’t let myself feel guilty when H turned 2 and started going to mom’s morning out twice a week. It’s necessary to get in a little ‘me’ time and it only gets easier as time moves on. :)

23 Danica @ It's Progression December 3, 2013 at 3:41 pm

It’s so cute to see each month’s picture, right next to each other! They grow up SO fast!!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..December: Now In Season!

24 Kelly @ Femme Fitale December 3, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Ohhh my goodness! He is too precious!
How much fun is 4 months? I think that was when I felt like Thomas was beginning to be a “real person” and started to really come into his own. The first 3 months are amazing, but they don’t call it the 4th trimester for nothing. This age is fantastic and you’ll have such a fun holiday with him! xo
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Fitness Inspired Gifts: For Him

25 sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com December 3, 2013 at 10:23 pm

he is so handsome!
sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..Unforgettable Moments

26 Carson December 3, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Your little man is totally precious!
Carson recently posted..Rounding out 2013 with some goals

27 Ruthie December 4, 2013 at 9:02 am

I love his long straight legs in the picture up top! What a happy boy. Ford hasn’t found his feet yet (bc he’s too darn chunky haha) but I can’t wait for that! We are on night 2 of crib sleeping and it’s been hard. Basically he screams for 1-1.5 hours until he finally calms down (we let him CIO for 5-15 min at a time) and the first night I was up every other hour. Last night we actually put his changing pad into the crib to make him feel safe because I think the reason be kept waking up screaming was that the crib is so spacious and new compared to the RnP. He’d wake up arms flailing and seemed scared :(. He slept really well last night so it was just the encouragement I needed not to give up… Naps are another ball game…

28 Angie@adiamondthatshinesbright.com December 4, 2013 at 9:17 am

I love the picture with Lucas and Cody in the background staring, so funny! He is getting so big. Remember it is okay to want “me time” and “husband time”. You are still you, just with a baby now, don’t neglect yourself it makes you a better mommy and wife.

29 Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love December 4, 2013 at 10:29 am

LOVE this update! If you don’t mind, I might have to swipe it from ya! I can’t believe how much they change so quickly! He looks like a totally different baby from 1 month. And we still have Gavin in his RNP mostly because he has acid reflux so I’m afraid he’ll choke on any spit up in the crib :(
Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love recently posted..I’m Addicted to…

30 Ali December 5, 2013 at 11:06 am

Transitioning from the RNP to the crib was a disaster for us haha. I ended up side-carting an air mattress next to the crib (and taking the front off the crib) and it stayed like that for a month. I thought it would last a couple nights. Aiden was not a good sleeper at all though. He hit the 4 month sleep regression thing hard core around the same time. He was waking up way more than Lucas and wasn’t taking consistent naps until past 6 months old. I wrote a post on it for humor (and to possibly help someone). http://alidamron.com/2013/09/how-we-transitioned-to-the-crib/

31 Annette@FitnessPerks December 5, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Awwww he is such a cutie!

Good luck with the RNP to crib transition! Just some thoughts–most babies do not love sleeping flat on their back, so you could try to lift the mattress a bit (they have things you can put under it), and if you’re comfortable with it, maybe letting him sleep on his side (wedges you can buy or use a rolled up towel), or on his stomach. Docs don’t like to say that, but babies, like most humans, don’t feel comfortable lying flat on their backs….

Our baby loves sleeping on her side & we’ve never had a problem with it. In fact, she began sleeping 6 hours straight at 2 weeks old because we figured out she hated sleeping on her back. Hallelujah for that discovery! ;)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Trader Joe’s Holiday Finds

32 Lindsay @ Health Foragers December 17, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I just found your blog tonight (not sure how I have managed to miss it) and I love it so far. I am a teacher right now having some of the same struggles you talked about and just got my personal trainer certification. Not the reason I commented though.

My daughter slept in the RNP until she was about 6 months old. There were nights I told myself she should def. be out and transitioned into her crib and I just knew we had waited too long. But then I would remind myself she was rolling over yet, she was still swaddled, she was still the right weight requirement (she was early and very tiny) and most important she never did a good job in the crib. She had acid reflux (so I hear ya on the spitting up :) )and never liked to be that flat. Until . . . one day we put her in and she was fine. We never looked back.

I am a full believer that you have to try things for 3 full days before giving up on them but I also believe that sometimes babies just aren’t ready for something. I tried to never be worried of trying something new but also never worried about switching back to the tried and true when the new didn’t work.

Sorry for the rambling – that was legit the longest comment I have ever written. haha

33 Courtney December 23, 2013 at 9:11 am

Hey Lindsey! Thanks so much for leaving the comment and reading the blog! :)

I’m hoping we have a similar experience as you did with the RNP to crib transition! It’s just so tough…especially when he’s sleeping so well in the RNP! I’m actually debating on giving it a try again in the next couple of days, just to see how it goes. Although I’m not sure how much longer the swaddle is going to be lasting us, as he’s been doing a pretty good job of breaking out of it recently! Ohh, these kiddos…always keeping us guessing, right? :)