Weekend Highlights {12/16}

by Courtney on December 16, 2013

Oh, there was lots of fun stuff happening this weekend, so let’s just hop right to it!

Friday night I left Lucas and Jay home alone for a boys night in while I headed out to meet up with some fellow bloggers for a cookie swap.

There were all sorts of delicious cookies, actually 12 different kinds in all. Everyone brought 3 dozen of their cookie (I brought my favorites), so it worked out that we all got take about 3 of each kind. By the time the swap was over, everyone had quite a stash.

Right now they’re currently sitting on my kitchen counter and I’m trying to decide if I should maybe put them in the freezer. Wanna know a fun fact? If you were to look at my container of cookies right now, you’d see a ton of half eaten cookies. That’s because I usually want more than one kind at once. Ahh well. Winking smile

On Saturday, the three of us went out to Bombers to meet up with my brother to help him celebrate his birthday (he had to get his enormous birthday margarita, duh)! He turned 26 on Saturday and I officially feel old…it just doesn’t seem possible?!

Lucas did great while we were there (probably due to the fact that we weren’t there super long) and had fun hanging out with his uncle for a while. They were too cute together.

Once we said goodbye to the birthday boy, we headed over to my in-laws’ house for a late lunch. On the menu? Homemade mac and cheese (with chunks of ham – YUM!) and corn muffins. Ohh, how I love me some corn muffins.

Once we got back home Saturday evening, we put the little one to bed and then Jay and I cozied up on the couch with our electric blanket and some homemade brownies and ice cream while watching Love Actually (one of my favorites!).

Sunday morning we woke up to all sorts of…snow! For once, the weathermen were actually right and we wound up with about a foot. I will say…as much as I usually loathe the snow, it is rather pretty right now and definitely putting me in more of a Christmas spirit.

Lucas had fun watching out the window, especially later on in the morning while his daddy was snow blowing the driveway.

Yesterday afternoon, we headed out once again to my parents’ house to celebrate both my brother’s birthday (Saturday) and my dad’s birthday (this coming Tuesday) and just hung out watching the Jets game.

IMG_4654with a side of Santa butt Winking smile

My mom had made homemade sauce so she treated us to meatball subs for dinner,

IMG_4655IMG_4656

and, of course, birthday cake and ice cream for dessert. Happy Birthday, Dan & Dad!

Now, I’m sitting here writing up this post after just finishing what seemed like a marathon rocking/bounding session with Mr. Lucas to put him to bed. He was soooo overtired, and whenever that happens, it’s usually a recipe for a struggle at bedtime. I was planning on heading to bed, but now I see that National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is on TV and, well, since it’s one of my favorites I just have to finish watching that. I mean, who doesn’t love that movie, right?! Winking smile

Happy Monday, friends! Here’s to everyone having a fabulous week ahead!

1 Stacie @ Simply Southern Stacie December 16, 2013 at 6:57 am

I watched Love Actually on Saturday night too! That movie just makes me so happy!

It looks like you had a great weekend filled with family, friends and food – can’t get much better!
Stacie @ Simply Southern Stacie recently posted..White Chocolate Peppermint Oreo Brownies

2 Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes December 16, 2013 at 6:58 am

weathermen were finally right over here too (WNY)…..we only got about 8 inches
Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes recently posted..Thinking out loud #1

3 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) December 16, 2013 at 7:20 am

I insist we watch Love Actually every Christmas season. It’s my favorite and never fails to make me laugh and cry- love it! David’s fav is Christmas Vacation so we watch that every year too :)

I would love some snow right now. I just saw it is supposed to be 70 in Charlotte on Sunday. Not cool. Hoping for a freak winter storm to hit on Christmas Eve ;)
Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Weekend Lockdown

4 Madison December 16, 2013 at 7:23 am

Yep–Love Actually is a MUST for 1,606,484 reasons!

Also, those meatball subs look amazing! I’ve been wanting a meatball sub actually, do you have a recipe you like? And if so, will you share?

P.s. You look beautiful and so happy!
Madison recently posted..Letter to 16 Year Old Me

5 Linz @ Itz Linz December 16, 2013 at 7:27 am

haha half eaten cookies make me laugh because when my parents used to get boxes of chocolates around the holidays, my sister and i would either eat half a chocolate or break them open and put them back to see what was inside!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Win a $100 Athleta Gift Card by Supporting #MyFitWish

6 Danica @ It's Progression December 16, 2013 at 8:01 am

I’ve actually never seen Love Actually, but I’m thinking I need to now!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..scenes from the weekend 12.16.13

7 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes December 16, 2013 at 8:26 am

I also usually want more than one kind ;-) No shame! What a fun weekend! Happy Birthday to your dad and Dan!
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Let’s talk about sex.

8 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl December 16, 2013 at 8:33 am

What a fun weekend and a beautiful snow! I love snuggling up under the electric blanket watching Christmas movies, especially Love Actually!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Ditch the Diet!

9 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction December 16, 2013 at 8:44 am

You need to get that boy a sled :) Mason got one like the one in the link below for Christmas last year and love us towing him around the yard and sliding down the hill (with us pulling him)

Love the cookie swap idea – maybe next year I will do one of those parties :)
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..5 on Friday – Chilly Weather Clothing

10 Katie December 16, 2013 at 8:57 am

Love his outfit on him, Rocco has the same one! We didn’t get the reindeer slippers, Rocco does not keep shoes on and it is a lost cause, haha!

Glad your brother had a great birthday!

Happy week girl!

11 Shel@PeachyPalate December 16, 2013 at 9:09 am

Really random but I have that American Eagle hoodie! It’s my ex boyfriends but never gave it back…fat too cosy!

12 Ali December 16, 2013 at 9:21 am

That looks like a nice weekend! I always leave half-eaten cookies (and lots of types of food actually) because I’m such a grazer. Oops.

13 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 16, 2013 at 9:28 am

We have way too much snow here! For the first time in years some of the schools actually closed around here! Looks like you all had a really great weekend!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..My Goals for the Week

14 Sanaz@Run for Cake December 16, 2013 at 9:34 am

What a fun weekend. I am obsessed with the idea of a cookie swap. I am trying to solicit some friends to get in on this fun with me!
Looks like you had a lot of good eats. I don’t know why I don’t make meatball subs more often. So yummy and pretty easy!
Happy Monday!

15 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty December 16, 2013 at 9:35 am

Oh my goodness your little man is getting so big and so darn handsome! Oh my goodness. What a great weekend full of family and delicious treats!
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Fried Avocados Make the World a Better Place

16 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat December 16, 2013 at 10:08 am

Sounds like an awesome weekend! I love the idea of a cookie exchange! We got snow on Saturday. It is pretty to watch when you’re warm and cozy inside, not when you have to drive in it!

Have a great Monday!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Vegan Chocolate Cake (Revised)

17 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections December 16, 2013 at 10:15 am

I love cookie swaps! That something I think I’m missing out on this year so I may have to just have my own little cookie party.
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Elfing & Extended Vaca Time!

18 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 16, 2013 at 10:21 am

Looks like a very fun weekend! And seriously…that santa butt is precious! What is it about things on the baby’s butts that’s so adorable?
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Boston & Blue October

19 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 16, 2013 at 10:29 am

Sounds like a great weekend! I love Love Actually too – I should watch that one again soon. That little Santa butt is too cute! ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Christmas Party, The Mall, & Christmas Lights

20 Chelsea December 16, 2013 at 10:35 am

Well Happy Birthday to your brother and your dad!! And yay for Cookie swaps! This the second blog I’m hearing about this, I’ve actually never heard about it before! But I think it’s a great idea!! Love Lucas’s Santa pants, so cute :)
Chelsea recently posted..Why You Have To Do This To Me???

21 Brigitt December 16, 2013 at 10:42 am

We watched Christmas Vacation last night too! Love that one. :)
Brigitt recently posted..Italian Wedding Soup

22 Jamie @ Dishing Out Health December 16, 2013 at 10:45 am

How adorable are those Santa butt pants! Haha I’ve been in the process of organizing a cookie swap with my gfs after reading about it on your blog. :) and now looking at that photo made me even more excited!
Jamie @ Dishing Out Health recently posted..Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins {Whole Grain, Low Fat}

23 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 16, 2013 at 10:51 am

We got a bunch of snow here in Chicago as well over the weekend and I just love it! All the snow really gets me in the holiday spirit and it makes everything look so pretty!

24 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life December 16, 2013 at 11:42 am

Yummmm cookie swap! They all look so delicious! And yay, happy birthday to your brother! I just celebrated mine yesterday:)
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..MIMM #35- 19th birthday!

25 Suzanne @ Mix it Mom December 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I’m dying over the chocolate raspberry cookie bars!! I almost got the stuff to make them this weekend but decided to wait since I am having a baking day with my best friend next Monday. My wedding cake was chocolate with raspberry filling so those flavors always take me back. My fave!!
Suzanne @ Mix it Mom recently posted..It’s a Wrap

26 Divya @ Eat. Teach. Blog. December 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm

He just keeps getting cuter and cuter! :)
Divya @ Eat. Teach. Blog. recently posted..Connecting in Valuable Ways

27 Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love December 16, 2013 at 12:44 pm

That picture of Lucas looking out the window is adorable! He is getting so big!
Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love recently posted..Holiday Fit Gift #2

28 Parita @ myinnershakti December 16, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I went to a cookie exchange party this weekend too! It was so fun to see what everyone brought and why the selected what they did.

29 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog December 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I’ve really enjoyed this snow too :-) I’m also very impressed with how well the roads were plowed almost immediately after. That’s what usually bugs me about the snow anyway.

And, a cookie swap! How is it possible I have not been through 30 Christmases and never once been to a cookie swap. That must change!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Baked Challah Egg Nog French Toast + the BS Workout

30 Anna @ Fitness à la Anna December 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I totally watched Love Actually last night! After a full day of blasting through my to-do list, I felt it was totally justified to bundle up with a glass of red wine and watch what has become my most favourite holiday movie ;)
Anna @ Fitness à la Anna recently posted..12/15 Fitness for the Week

31 Tara Mitchell December 16, 2013 at 3:34 pm

The weekend just flew by! I cannot believe it is Monday already!! I hope this week goes by quickly too. My mom and I decorated the house the entire weekend. It was a bit overwhelming, but the overall result is fabulous. Red and green is everywhere!!! Sunday was spent watching football (Go Hawks) and baking Christmas bark! Yummm!
Tara Mitchell recently posted..It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

32 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine December 16, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I’ve watched the Lampoon’s Christmas about 5 times this month! I’m not complaining. A holiday tradition! YOUR COOKIE SWAP…oh my. Each one looks SO delicious. YUM :)

33 Leigha @ Minougirl December 16, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I watched National Lampoon’s Vacation last night too! Sounds like a super fun-filled weekend. I wish I went to a cookie swap party!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Cookies for Days

34 Kim December 16, 2013 at 8:40 pm

tou’re son is so cute! I love that movie Christmas vacation- Uncle Eddie is my favorite. Hope your dad and brother had a great birthday. My father in law’s is tomorrow and mine’s January 9th. I’m not a fan of birthdays around the holidays :(

35 Lauren Lehocky December 16, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I think I’m the only person in the world who isn’t head over heels in love with Love Actually! I just couldn’t get into it….

I’m totally with your brother about the giant birthday margarita…that’s my favorite thing to do on my bday!
Lauren Lehocky recently posted..holiday treats and graduation eats

36 Katy @ Tasterie December 16, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Oh wow! We were supposed to get about a foot of snow but we just ended up with about 4 inches. I spent most of my weekend watching holiday movies! The ABC Family 25 Days of Christmas is so amazing and the movies are just so cheesy!
Katy @ Tasterie recently posted..December Recipe Ideas

37 Annette@FitnessPerks December 16, 2013 at 10:38 pm

That cookie swap sounds soooo fun & delicious! Mmmmm.

I agree–my baby gets overtired & BAMMM bedtime is tough. And she’s not even that old! So we have to beeeee careful ;)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Festive Weekend

38 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope December 17, 2013 at 4:56 am

What a great weekend! That cookie swap idea is genius and they all look so good! And Happy Birthday to your brother – great photo of the two of you! :)
Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope recently posted..Monday Musings

39 Eve December 17, 2013 at 7:15 am

I used to go to Union College so I know all too well about bombers huge margaritas!!!

And I totally feel you on the half cookies- I probably do it more cause its better to think u only ate “a few pieces out of a few” when in reality it equates to far more than a whole cookie!! No shame. Tis the season :)

40 Sarah @ Sweet Miles December 17, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Sooo that mac and cheese looks AMAZING. Looks like you guys had so much fun! I would have devoured all of those cookies! Oh my goodness, Lucas just keeps getting cuter and cuter!!!

41 Amelia December 17, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Woohoo fun weekend. Check out those cookies! I usually end up eating too many and go home with a stomach ache, but hey, it’s only once a year!
I would love to have some of that snow! It always feels more like the holidays with snow. Now that I have lived in charleston for 11+ years, whenever I get the chance to go north and enjoy the snow, I’m all for it!
Amelia @i_heart_kale

42 Tamara December 18, 2013 at 12:35 am

So jealous of your white Christmas, it looks so beautiful and cozy. I am in Australia and today is 41 degrees (105.8 fahrenheit)!

43 Jenny December 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm

LOVE National Lampoons!!!! And Lucas’ santa hiney. :)
Jenny recently posted..Last Minute Gifts for Fitness Buffs!

44 DessertForTwo December 18, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Now I’m totally craving a meatball sub! Your weekend looked great :)

45 Caitlin December 19, 2013 at 3:51 pm

the mac + ham is such an elementary school meal – i totally love it. that’s a compliment! i do the half-eaten cookie thing too when i have a ton to try. that one with all the carrot shreds in it looks awesome! i remember having meatball subs for lunch every day my freshman year of college. those were the days…they were heated in a brick oven! oh and that dessert, there’s just something about cake and ice cream!
Caitlin recently posted..My First Thinking Out Loud Thursday!