Life Lately via iPhone

by Courtney on December 19, 2013

Hey friends! How’s the week treating you so far? Things have actually been pretty busy over here the past few days, between all the usual suspects…work, Lucas, home, and holiday-related stuff. Since I found a few spare minutes in my evening, I figured I’d check in and say hi, and give a few random updates through some of my latest iPhone pics. Fun? Maybe? Well, let’s see what’s been photograph-worthy the past few days…

Last night after work, I was suuuuuper busy in the kitchen!

IMG_4705IMG_4704

Lucky for me, Lucas fell asleep in the car on the way home from picking him up from the sitter, so while he continued to nap in his car seat in the living room, I got to work. We have a holiday luncheon at work on Thursday and I offered to bring a dessert, so I decided to make these delicious things, which are a spin-off of my Dark Chocolate Turtle Graham Bars.

I also wound up making another batch of Chocolate Raspberry Bars for Jay to bring to his own work party on Friday (and have plans of making another batch tonight for my own work holiday party on Friday…whew!).

*****

Earlier in the week, Jay and I made Chicken, Sweet Potato, & Spinach Quesadillas.

And, as if you couldn’t already tell from these horribly crappy photos, we tend to eat dinner in our pretty dark living room…on our way-too-springy placemats. Oops. Winking smile

The photos may be crappy, but those are always some pretty great ‘dillas.

*****

If you follow me on Instagram, then you’ve probably already seen this photo of Lucas from Tuesday.

I was totally in love with this outfit he had on and, I swear, if I could find one in my size I’d wear it at least once a week. It looked and felt just so darn warm and cozy.

We had fun reading a couple of books quick that morning, too. Little man looooooves his books!

*****

Peanut butter and banana. ‘Nuff said.

*****

On Wednesday, I arrived home from work to a pretty amazing package waiting for me from blog reader (and Instagram follower), Amelia.

She was so kind to send me a goody package filled with some of her handmade holiday treats…including buckeyes, sea salt almond toffee, and vanilla bean caramels. Ummm, YUM. I made sure to sample all three last night and they. were. incredible. Thanks again, Amelia!!

*****

All last week, Lucas was obsessed with the little rolly thing on his activity jumper. This week, he’s been a jumping maniac and has also now discovered the sun.

He was absolutely cracking us up last night in this thing. Seriously…so, so great.

*****

Hey, guess what? We actually managed (and planned ahead) for not one, but two dinners so far this week! In addition to the ‘dillas above, I also put together a batch of Beef and Sweet Potato Stew (I still need to share this recipe with you guys soon) along with a side of Cheesy Italian Quick Bread.

The stew is great, but that bread is my jam. It’s most definitely a favorite of ours around here.

*****

Now, just for fun, I thought I’d share a secret little glimpse into what things actually look like around here these days. That photo above? Yeah, sure…looks like dinner is nicely situated at the table and ready to eat, right? BUT, if you pan out juuuust a bit more…

You’d see the mess that is my house right now. With a side of Lucas creepin’ in the background.

Seriously. Sometimes I wonder if my home will ever be clean again for more than five minutes. It seems like as soon as I get an area cleaned up, there’s crap all over it again before I know it.

Either that or it’s the abundance of Lucas’s stuff taking up just about every inch of extra space you can find.

Such is life of a new, working mom, eh? Hey…I guess it’s a good thing I can deal with a little mess here and there. Winking smile

Well, today’s post may have been a little random, but I had fun checking in with you all. Have a great day, friends!

1 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle December 19, 2013 at 6:54 am

That bread and those quesadillas look amazing!
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..Stuck

2 Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes December 19, 2013 at 7:05 am

It’s nice to see the house as it really is! Believe me mine looks much worse!
Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes recently posted..Bourbon & Burger Co in Batavia

3 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes December 19, 2013 at 7:33 am

Wow you’ve been busy in the kitchen! The dark chocolate graham bars sound really good! Not too worry at all either… My house looks like that too…
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Christmas, potty training, and a bad haircut.

4 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope December 19, 2013 at 7:35 am

That quesadilla looks amazing!! Totally impressed you made that yourself – looks like a restaurant haha!
Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope recently posted..Texas Implant Non-Problems

5 Danielle December 19, 2013 at 7:51 am

Thank you for sharing the full picture. Sometimes it seems that bloggers have it all together and everything is perfect! Makes me feel so much better to know I am not the only one with a little clutter in the home! :)

6 Alaine December 19, 2013 at 7:53 am

Hey Courtney, those treats look great! I just wanted to let you know that the sun on that bouncer is pretty powerful…it was recalled this year. The little girl that I nanny had the same one and was trying to chew on it when she was a little older than Lucas and it bounced back and hit her, but no serious injury. Have a great day!
Alaine recently posted..Lights Out

7 Rachel @ The Mason Maison December 19, 2013 at 8:17 am

OK, this is probably a stupid question, but does the Italian quick bread need to go into a round baking pan? I’d love to make it, but I somehow don’t have a round pan. Just wondering if I could use a normal bread pan? I do have a heart shaped cake pan … haha
Rachel @ The Mason Maison recently posted..Easy Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies

8 Linz @ Itz Linz December 19, 2013 at 8:18 am

all of your eats look delicious – pretty photos or not! ;) and lucas is just TOO CUTE!!!!!!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..ditch the diets 21-day challenge

9 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat December 19, 2013 at 8:21 am

I’m totally digging all of your eats! I’ve got to pin those quesadillas. They look amazing! Love that pic of Lucas!!!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Totally Random Bits of Info #5

10 Sarah December 19, 2013 at 8:26 am

Why have I never thought to put sweet potatoes in a quasadila, good call!

11 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 19, 2013 at 8:28 am

Congrats on getting back in the kitchen! ;) I definitely want to do some baking but I need to make sure I’m feeling better first but there’s definitely some cookie baking on my agenda for this weekend!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Roasted Tomato Veggie Soup (Recipe!)

12 Danica @ It's Progression December 19, 2013 at 8:30 am

I’ve always loved the phrase “you’re raising a family, not a house” – there will always be something to clean up, so we may as well enjoy this time of year and not worry about the messes! The holidays are too busy for cleaning anyway :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..The 12 Days of Christmas Workout

13 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 19, 2013 at 8:59 am

Are you talking about the clear plastic football shaped rolly thing on the jumper? Ours hardly even moves! I was kind of annoyed by that. Hunter LOVES the sun though – it cracks me up.

LOVE that adorable outfit on him too! So cute and SO comfy looking!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..12/19/13: Thursday Thoughts

14 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun December 19, 2013 at 9:06 am

You reminded me I REALLY need to get to baking! We have so much work to do before we can leave to go out of town! Time to go shopping and get in the kitchen today :)
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Christmas Cookie Ideas

15 Shel@PeachyPalate December 19, 2013 at 9:06 am

Life’s too short to clean! :) They look like perfect dilla’s!! Not crappy photos at all…and you are the cookie queen!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Breakfast four days running

16 Parita @ myinnershakti December 19, 2013 at 9:17 am

My house looks like a tornado came through, and we don’t have a baby!! LOL!

And I need to make that cheesy bread! Looks so good every time you post a pic.

17 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne December 19, 2013 at 9:28 am

Yum!! That dessert looks bomb.com!! And those ‘dillas? Those are the only things that make me wish I wasn’t gluten intolerant. Aw, I love Lucas’s smile, it’s so adorable.
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Mono, Trans, Sat, & Poly

18 Sanaz@Run for Cake December 19, 2013 at 9:40 am

Delicious! I need to eat a quesadilla now.
Being a mommy to a one year old myself I know how hard it is to get anything done but mandatory mommy things. You’re doing great and your house will be clean(er) in a few months.
Sanaz@Run for Cake recently posted..Playing office santa

19 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 19, 2013 at 9:51 am

I still need to check out that quick bread recipe…it looks so good!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..My First Experience With Acupuncture.

20 Rachel S. December 19, 2013 at 9:54 am

My son loved his bouncer. He would bounce so much he bounced himself to sleep a couple of times.

21 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health December 19, 2013 at 9:56 am

You would look super cute in a matching onesie with Lucas, haha. He’s so adorable and totally worth a messy house. I’m a neat freak but I fully expect some slackin’ to take place once babies enter the picture.

Before you know it, he’ll be old enough to help you clean so I think it’s great that your spending time with him rather than cleaning.
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Skinny Snickerdoodles {vegan and gluten-free}

22 Michelle Y Kim December 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

Yum! Everything looks so good!
Also, these random posts are fun :)

23 Meagan December 19, 2013 at 10:44 am

Your chocolate raspberry bars look amazing! The last few times you’ve posted, I have thought about making them! I have a cookie exchange tomorrow and might have to cave!
Meagan recently posted..You’d think I’d remember…

24 Christine@munchkinmumbles December 19, 2013 at 10:59 am

I love you random post! It’s so great to go through the phone and find some random photos!
Chocolate and raspberry! yummy! Another thing to add to my must try list.
Houses are so hard to keep clean! My junk piles just seem to move around but never disappear. It’s always the worst around the holidays too.

25 Shannon December 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

I have been reading your blog for the last couple of years and I have always loved it but even more so now that you have your little guy. I had a little boy this past June and am also a working mom so its nice to see you talk honestly about how things really are! It is not always easy, in fact most times it is hard work, but so worth it when you see those little baby smiles! You are doing an awesome job!

26 Nicole December 19, 2013 at 11:24 am

Keepin’ it real! My house looks like yours, but I don’t have a hubby or a bambino! I need to get myself organized and stay tidy in 2014!
Nice job with all the baking! I’m sure it feels good to spend some time doing some “kitchen therapy”. :)
Cheers!

27 Sheena December 19, 2013 at 11:30 am

I am so glad you posted the pic of your kitchen table covered and baby stuff scattered…now I know I am not alone!

28 Monica December 19, 2013 at 11:40 am

I’m there with you! I have an almost 9 month old daughter, and before her, everything was super clean and in its place. Now, piles are everywhere! I can’t remember the last time I vacuumed or mopped, and it is all I can do to make the bed and keep the dishes done! I have a pile on our bedroom floor from last time I travelled with her in November! :) Such is life…

29 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life December 19, 2013 at 11:48 am

Those quesadillas look amaaaaazing. I’ve been all about sugary foods since I got home on Saturday night but savory foods are jumping out at me now! Yumyumyum. Also, PB + banana is a combination made in heaven!
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..Thursday Thoughts 12/19

30 Tiff December 19, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Yes, I did see that outfit, and I still think it’s friggin adorable!
Tiff recently posted..Winter Break

31 Jamie @ Dishing Out Health December 19, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Can’t beat a little sweet & salty combo! I’ll definitely need to give those crack bars a shot! :)
Jamie @ Dishing Out Health recently posted..Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins {Whole Grain, Low Fat}

32 Amelia December 19, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Ahhh, Lucas is such a cutie! Messy houses and chaos just create more fun.
Your dinners look awesome, especially that quesadilla. I love those flavor combos. I suppose I need to make some of these chocolate raspberry bars that are so popular. You’ve made them a ton in the past couple of weeks!

Glad you enjoyed the goodies! They are my favorites. :)
Amelia @i_heart_kale

33 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples December 19, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Lucas is so big!! ..and if you don’t mind me asking: what brand of quesadilla wraps do you use? my cheese always melts through, and it’s a big mess! :/ I know I’m not doing something right lol
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..The Enemy’s Secret Weapon

34 Caitlin December 19, 2013 at 3:53 pm

it’s crazy how much STUFF a baby can own! i feel like half of it is mom just loving shopping – or at least that’s how i feel about buying things for my good friend’s daughter. can’t buy clothes for me? let’s buy clothes for baby! cute outfit time! i’m sure if i ever had a girl she’d own way more clothes than a boy would because i LOVE baby girl clothes.
i haven’t made a quesadilla with sweet potato in it in…eons. man i need to try that again!
and yes can’t wait for that stew recipe!
Caitlin recently posted..My First Thinking Out Loud Thursday!

35 Tara@pnwrunner December 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Your turtle bars look tasty! I made some similar bars last week! Peppermint, Oreo and toffee bark bars! I ate way too many of them!
Tara@pnwrunner recently posted..Holiday Traditions

36 Annette@FitnessPerks December 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Mmmmm that bread & those quesadillas look fantastic!!

Agreed with the baby’s stuff being everywhere…..so our place too!!

37 Ellie@Fit for the soul December 20, 2013 at 2:37 am

Trust me! Working or not working, the house is ALWAYS ALWAYS hard to keep clean! It is definitely the baby’s stuff taking up loads of space, but it’s also the fact that once you start on something, baby starts needing you and then you place things everywhere and before you know it–it’s all spread out. At least that’s my experience, haha. And woww great job baking all that stuff! It looks amazing and I bet you were one tired momma afterwards!
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..The Awesome Benefits of Jumping Rope {Vlog}

38 Jenn@Be ME December 20, 2013 at 5:47 am

Hahaha…my living room looks exactly like this pic. My little one loves the Jumper as well, he’s getting used to “standing”.
Jenn@Be ME recently posted..I NEED to share this with YOU!

39 Julia December 20, 2013 at 9:44 am

I love that bread recipe! We’ve been making it since you first posted it, and it’s so good. I even brought it to a potluck day in my Sports Nutrition class as a good post-workout snack for an endurance athlete. Once I figured out the nutrition info, I discovered that it has the perfect 3:1 carb:protein ratio. You hit it out of the ballpark with that recipe!

40 Mallory December 20, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Can I just say you are such a likable blogger? I never get sick of your blog…love reading your posts!!!!

41 Courtney December 20, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Aww, that is so nice of you to say! Thank you so much!! :)