Weekend Highlights via Instagram

by Courtney on January 6, 2014

Hey friends! Happy Monday to you all!

Did you guys have a good weekend? Do anything fun? I feel like I was a little off with my days since I worked from home last Friday (which was MUCH appreciated with the crappy weather we were having) so everything just seemed to blend together. We had a great couple of days though!

Friday evening Jay and I stayed in and after we put Lucas to bed we cooked up some dinner for ourselves. Originally, we were gonna be lazy and just order food, but then we realized we had some BBQ Pulled Chicken in the freezer so we took that out to have. To go along with it, we were going to make some sweet potato fries, but then Jay decided that he wanted to try chips instead. So…chips it was!

Okay seriously guys. These babies were made in the microwave and were SUPER easy. Here’s what we did:

• Slice sweet potato thin (we used a mandolin slicer)
  • Cut a piece of parchment paper to line a microwave plate
  • Place potato slices slightly overlapping on paper. Spray lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with spices (we kept it simple…salt, pepper, and garlic powder)
  • Cook at 60% power for 10 minutes*

*All microwaves vary, so you may need to go longer/shorter, etc.)

Just like that, we had delicious sweet potato chips…and yes, they were definitely crispy!

On Saturday, the three – err, four! – of us had a lazy morning and then I left the boys at home and spent a few hours hanging out with my college girls. It was great to get out for a while and catch up with them, since I really hadn’t seen much of them since Halloween.

Cody and Lucas are becoming best buds…almost. Winking smile

Saturday afternoon we were supposed to go to Jay’s aunt’s house for a Christmas celebration, but plans got cancelled, so my in-laws came over to watch the little man while the two of us went out for an early dinner. We weren’t gone long, but it was nice to get out!

On Sunday, we went to visit our friends Joe and Kate and their new baby girl, Samantha. I can’t believe I didn’t even take any pictures while we were there?! I cooked them a batch of BBQ Pulled Chicken (since, you know, we always seem to have that when they’re over) and made them a little chocolate caramel snack cake to have during the week. Smile

When we got home, Lucas took a quick cat nap in the swing and then it was dinner time!

We’ve recently started doing a dinner of solids anywhere between 5-5:30 at night. We did applesauce for a few days, rice cereal for a few days, and last night was bananas for the first time (I just mashed up part of a ripe banana and thinned it out with a little water). As if you couldn’t already tell from the video above, he LOOOOOVED them!

It is seriously so much fun feeding him solids these days. He was totally showing us he was ready and he is certainly proving us right. Sheesh…I really need to put together his 5 month post.

And I really need to start taking more photos on the weekend, apparently. Winking smile

1 Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes January 6, 2014 at 6:49 am

It’s crazy how fast time flies. Before you know it you will be planning his first birthday party! Have a good Monday!
Elizabeth @ my neon running shoes recently posted..19 Weeks: Always predictable

2 Danielle @ It's A Harleyyy Life January 6, 2014 at 6:51 am

he is getting so big!

3 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves January 6, 2014 at 7:06 am

Mmm I need to try those sweet potato fries! And Lucas is growing up so darn fast. That’s great that he loves solid food so much!
Have a great week and stay warm, Courtney!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Friday Should Be Added to the Weekend {MIMM #18}

4 Stacie @ Simply Southern Stacie January 6, 2014 at 7:20 am

I never thought about doing sweet potato chips in the microwave. Those just look to easy to be true!
Stacie @ Simply Southern Stacie recently posted..Marathon Countdown

5 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life January 6, 2014 at 7:20 am

I saw that video of Lucas eating bananas on Instagram and literally laughed out loud! Too cute!
Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life recently posted..A Case of Post-Holiday Monday Blues

6 Madison January 6, 2014 at 7:25 am

What a fun, laid-back weekend!!! :)
Madison recently posted..I’m BACK and My 2014 Resolutions

7 Lisa January 6, 2014 at 7:29 am

Lucas is absolutely adorable!! :-)

8 Presley @ Run Pretty January 6, 2014 at 7:32 am

Looks like I’ll be having chips for dinner! ;)
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Just Some Things I Thought

9 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle January 6, 2014 at 7:36 am

Those chips – so easy! Love it. I can’t believe how big he is.
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..Toned Up Premiere Party

10 Angela@ Fit to Inspire January 6, 2014 at 7:40 am

I’m going to need to give this microwaved sweet potatoes a try! I love love love sweet potatoes but they always seem like such a hassle to make!
Angela@ Fit to Inspire recently posted..Weekend Wrap up

11 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat January 6, 2014 at 7:44 am

Awww…such an adorable video of Lucas! He definitely is enjoying those bananas!

Those sweet potato chips look amazing and I can’t believe you made them in the microwave – so simple!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..What I’ve Been Up To Lately

12 Jamie @ Dishing Out Health January 6, 2014 at 8:05 am

Lucas is such a doll! How exciting he is entering the world of real food! Lovin’ the idea of microwavable chips – thanks for sharing!
Jamie @ Dishing Out Health recently posted..Salmon Quinoa Salad with Honey Lemon Vinaigrette

13 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) January 6, 2014 at 8:11 am

Starting H on solids was one of my most favorite parts of her first year! Their reactions are priceless :)
Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Weekend Update & Meal Plan

14 Linz @ Itz Linz January 6, 2014 at 8:15 am

sweet potato chips – I LOVE IT!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..St. Louis Snowpocalypse

15 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 6, 2014 at 8:18 am

I’m going to have to try those sweet potato chips – sounds delicious!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..High Hopes

16 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 6, 2014 at 8:33 am

Oh my goodness, LOVE that video of little Lucas! It really is so much fun to start new foods with them. But I will admit, it’s not quite as fun when you realize you have a picky eater on your hands (aka HUNTER!). Ha! Oh well, he’s getting better… ;)

Love the sweet potato chip idea! Definitely giving that one a try!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..At-Home Workout Options

17 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 6, 2014 at 8:46 am

I can’t believe how quickly he is growing up! Solid foods already!? Sounds like you had a relaxing and awesome weekend!!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..New Year Organization

18 Sanaz@Run for Cake January 6, 2014 at 9:25 am

He is adorable! It’s crazy how fast time passes. I can’t believe my daughter is 13 months old already. I bought a cool book call one line a day and its a journal for 5 years and you can just write a few lines per day. A really neat way to capture all this amazingness with little work. The cute things they say and do that you may forget later :)
Sanaz@Run for Cake recently posted..Pain pain go away

19 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne January 6, 2014 at 9:28 am

Love that picture of Cody and Lucas, so adorable! And yum!! I will have to try those chips out with the boyfriend after he has his surgery! I have a feeling he will love those!
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Big News And A Recipe!

20 Shel@PeachyPalate January 6, 2014 at 9:32 am

Wow love the sweet potato chip idea! Definitely one to try! Yay for staying in, eating healthier and saving money :)

21 Leigha @ Minougirl January 6, 2014 at 9:59 am

Does the sweet potato need to be cooked before you slice it? I’d imagine it would be pretty hard to slice it uncooked!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Currently Loving: Winter Fashion

22 Courtney January 6, 2014 at 10:52 am

Nope! We didn’t need to and with the mandolin it sliced no problem :)

23 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog January 6, 2014 at 10:28 am

That video is too cute for words! Lucas is going to be a great little eater.

Love the sweet potato idea, but I really need to get a mandolin slicer. I feel like I’ve been seeing recipes that use it a lot these days, so it seems like a good investment :-)
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Things I’m Loving: The New Year’s Resolution Edition

24 Ali January 6, 2014 at 11:02 am

That picture of Cody and Lucas is really cute! It’s so much fun when babies and pets become friends.

25 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty January 6, 2014 at 11:21 am

Awww he is so darn adorable! How exciting to be starting with the solid foods! I told my hubby about the sweet potato chips in the microwave and we both agreed we need to try that in the near future! Looks delicious!
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Maple Mustard Salmon and Sisterhood

26 Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love January 6, 2014 at 11:57 am

Seriously. He is too freaking cute!
Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love recently posted..Working through the Blizzard

27 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen January 6, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Love it! Those sweet potato chips look amazing and Lucas is such a cutie :)
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Whole 30 Week 1 Review AND 20 Min Bodyweight Tabata Workout

28 Parita @ myinnershakti January 6, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Love the idea of sweet potato chips in the microwave. I use the microwave to crisp up tortillas too – works like a charm!

29 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 6, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Definitely trying out those chips. They sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing :).
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Weekend Wrap-Up in Pictures: Holiday Style

30 Ashley @ Power, Love, and Self-Discipline January 6, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Wow, can’t believe you made the chips in the microwave!!
Ashley @ Power, Love, and Self-Discipline recently posted..Leg Burner

31 Danica @ It's Progression January 6, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I saw that video of Lucas eating last night and definitely “awww”ed over it :) so cute!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..scenes from the weekend 1.6.14

32 Annie January 6, 2014 at 1:24 pm

How did you know? What signs?

33 Courtney January 6, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Do you mean how did I know to start solids? Lucas has had amazing head control since he was a couple months old, and now that he’s sitting well we took that as a good sign. He’s constantly watching us eat, reaching for our food, and seemed really interested in it so we decided to give it a go! Our pedi said he was okay with us starting anytime after 4 months, so we waited until about 5 :)

34 Anne January 6, 2014 at 3:38 pm

YUP! Sorry – I was totally multi-tasking on a conference call. Cora is 4 months and has the same head control…and also has been trying to grab dinner out of our hands…so thinking we’ll start soon. Just wanted to see if I was on base with her cues…thanks!

35 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 6, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Can I just say that Joe and Kate picked out an absolutely fabulous baby name? ;-)And of course, Lucas is just as adorable as ever!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Goal Talk: January.

36 Brie January 6, 2014 at 1:37 pm

What a cutie Lucas is! Love the video!!
Brie recently posted..Egg White Breakfast Sandwich

37 Suzanne @ Mix it Mom January 6, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I made some of the microwave chips this weekend but with white potatoes. OMG, they were so good!! Just like a potato chip but healthy. I must try with sweet potatoes next!
Suzanne @ Mix it Mom recently posted..Scenes From the Weekend

38 Sarah @ Sweet Miles January 6, 2014 at 3:32 pm

So cute!! I’m glad you were able to squeeze in some girl time :)
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..MaxFlow: Review & Giveaway

39 Emily @smilemilegirl January 6, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Lucas is the CUTEST!! (: I want to try those sweet potato chips ASAP, I feel like whenever I make chips they don’t turn out right :(
Emily @smilemilegirl recently posted..Snowpocalypse 2014 & January Goals

40 Lauren Bednarz January 6, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I love Lucas’s reaction to his food, so cute! I think feeding my baby solids is a blast.
Lauren Bednarz recently posted..Running Before and After Baby

41 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life January 6, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Yum, sweet potato fries!! Those look delicious :)
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..MIMM #38- Back in Bozo

42 Ellie@Fit for the soul January 6, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Oh wowwww I Had no idea you could make “fries” in the microwave! :P And I can’t believe how fast our little ones are growing–it’s kind of scary actually! Yikes.
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Kleenex, Laughter, and What to Expect