WIAW: Perfect Way to End the Day

Today is one of those days where I’m having a really hard time coming up with anything fun, quirky, and/or even slightly interesting to start off my post. So this is what you get.

Despite my less than stellar post beginning, I’m pumped to be checking in with you all today! Hope the week is treating you all nicely so far (is it really already Wednesday?! Woop!). I managed to document all of my eats yesterday, so I’m hopping on the WIAW bandwagon once again today. Heeeeeere we go!

Breakfast

2 Van’s Lite Waffles topped with Justin’s Vanilla Almond Butter & bananas + coffee

It had been quite a while since I last had some waffles and oh mannnn, were they good.

Mid-Morning Snacks

The rest of my banana from breakfast + 2 energy bites

IMG_5018IMG_5020

I also got the chance to try a bit of a unique treat…pear ginger Riesling sorbet(!).

One of the guys I work with actually made it and brought it in to share at our morning meeting. I wanted so badly to love it (I mean, it sounds incredible, right?!) but unfortunately, I just am not a fan of ginger, so I only had a couple small bites.

Despite the fact that it wasn’t my favorite flavor, I did get a newfound desire to try out the ice cream maker we got last December (and still have yet to take out of the box…whoops!). Maybe we’ll have to give it a whirl this weekend…?

Lunch

Talk about a KILLER salad.

Lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, grape tomatoes, pickles, red onions, feta cheese, dried cranberries, avocado, and balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Oh myyyy…that thing was just too delicious.

Shortly after lunch I also snacked on a cara cara orange (my absolute favorite orange!), which I almost forgot to snap a picture of.

Pre-Dinner Munchies

I was pretty hungry by the time I got home from work so I snacked on a couple small handfuls of Van’s BBQ chips while Lucas napped and I worked on putting dinner together.

Dinner

Oh, it could not come fast enough. I was starrrrrrving!

Somehow, I recently came across an old post of mine where I made this Quick Patstitsio recipe and it really sounded good, so I made sure to pick up the ingredients at the store over the weekend to make it this week.

Mmm mmmmm. It tasted so good that I had to go back for a small serving of seconds, and I’m pretty sure I would have inhaled that plate in record time if I wasn’t also feeding Lucas his dinner simultaneously. Winking smile

Dessert

Nothing like ending the day with a nice, sweet treat.

Once Lucas was in bed and the dishes were done/bottles were washed and filled/my lunch was made for today, I sat down and thoroughly enjoyed a small dish of cookie dough ice cream while Jay and I caught up on our Monday DVR’d shows (Mike & Molly and HIMYM). Perfect way to end the day, if ya ask me.

What kind of snack are you loving at the end of your day lately? Sweet or savory?

Comments

I’m with you on not liking ginger. I wish I did, but I just can’t.

That pasta looks incredible! I bookmarked that recipe to try sometime in the near future.

99% of the time, my snack cravings are sweet. If I ever crave a savory snack, then I know something is really off with my body!
    Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..The Sisterhood Award

• Courtney says

The only one I’ve tried so far is the multigrain chips (which were yummy!). Other than that, I’ve long been a fan of their waffles :)

2. Stacey M. says

Hmmm … I have yet to try waffles with banana and peanut butter. Guess I need to get on that soon – yours look soooo good!

Also love that large salad you had for lunch. Last night, I made myself a salad out of chopped brussel sprouts (raw), green onion, apple, walnuts, dried cranberries and little cheese. It was delicious – I’ve actually been eating these for a while now because the produce I normally put on a salad (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.) just aren’t in season right now. However, I failed to add any protein to my salad which is probably why I woke up pretty hungry this morning.

I must also mention that I LOVE the shoes you’re wearing in the photo of your energy bites! If you don’t mind me asking, where did you find those? I’ve been looking for something similar for a while now. Also, do you wear any nylons with those? (sorry for all the questions!)

Just a random comment but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. I somehow stumbled across it a year ago and love how positive/upbeat you while at the same time being honest about the times things aren’t as great. :)

Yum that ice cream looks super good! That is the only thing I miss (after finding out I’m lactose intolerant). Mmmm I’ve been eating my dessert in the early afternoon haha I come home from my classes and just want a sweet, so I eat some dark chocolate :)
    Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Benefits of Fish Oil

5. Betty says

end of day snacking – trying to move away from sugar based – step away from the sweet – so it’s been on the stove cooked popcorn

and oh, could you make me a salad everyday – I’ll pick it up on my way to work – just leave it out :) – looks great !

I’m not a ginger fan either, so I don’t think I’d enjoy that sorbet. I wish I liked it, but it’s just not my thing.

Mmm cara cara oranges are my favorite too! I just bought some yesterday at the grocery store. Can’t wait to dig into them today.

SWEET is always my thang for my evening snack. I’ve always been that way. Eating something savory before bed doesn’t even sound appealing to me most of the time. I’ve been loving a mug brownie or ice cream lately.
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW: Baby Hunter Edition {Giveaway}

7. Joanna says

Hi Courtney,

I was wondering if you could possibly do a post about “salads” that people can take to work as well as a post about healthy lunches for work? I know it sounds like a simple thing but somehow whenever I am making a salad for work its boring and never as good as yours! :)

In general any tips for making healthy lunches for work are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Courtney says

Hey Joanna!
      I’ll have to see what I can come up with, thanks for the idea! In the meantime, when I make my salads, I literally just try to add as many veggies that I can find in my fridge. On top of that, I almost always like to add feta and dried cranberries, and usually a protein like grilled chicken. If I don’t have any protein, I usually make up for it with some peanut butter later on ;)

YES to cara cara oranges! The grocery store closest to my house has giant, delicious ones right now, and I want to buy 5 million pounds of them before they go away! Also, ginger-ew.

9. Jennifer Lambert says

I always end my day with chocolate. And I wouldn’t have it any other way. Right now I’m hooked on Jcoco chocolates. Especially the Vanquatu Coconut Pecan. They come in packs of three 1oz bars. Clocking in at about 160 calories. I think some of their other flavors come in at 140 and above. Highest being in the 160 range. 1oz of pure bliss. Expensive but worth it. clocking in at 2 dollars per 1oz bar. But proceeds also go to charity.

10. Cristal says

This is totally off topic, but you mentioned you and your husband were shopping for a mattress. Did you end up buying one? We are also in major need of a new one and I feel totally overwhelmed by the varieties and hate to spend money on something that I don’t like. Curious to hear about what you have found…

11. Claire says

I have been craving both sweet and salty in the evenings…! I blame it on my being pregnant ;-) Last night, Cole went to the store and got chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches…I had a small bite of one last night and have already broken into them again today and it just turned noon here on the West Coast! But, I am also eyeing those BBQ chips you have/had something’ fierce!!

Your blog is what introduced me to WIAW, so thank you! That salad looks amazing and I was excited to hear about the sorbet as well, but I too am not a huge fan of ginger. I’ve been ending my day with a cup of Yogi Tea’s “Bedtime” tea. So sweet since the flavors are on the sweet side even without sugar.
    Amee @ Did Someone Say Chocolate? recently posted..WIAW- Whole30 Day 21

I used to be such a sweets fan, but pregnancy sure changed that. Lol! I’m def. more in the savory camp these days – my fave breakfast is 1 or 2 boiled eggs & some turkey sausage. I was delighted to be able to actually enjoy some mixed fruit and Chobani greek yogurt this morning though! That hasn’t happened in months… oh how I missed my sweets! :) Maybe this means I’ll be back in the sweets camp soon… fingers crossed!
    Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..Tuesday Thoughts – 33 weeks!