A Birthday Recap

by Courtney on January 31, 2014

Happyyyyy Fridayyy!

Thank you SO MUCH for all of the birthday wishes yesterday, everyone! You guys sure know how to make me feel special. It really was a great day, so I figured rather than go the usual Fun Facts route today, I’ll just give a little recap of my special day.

The day started off with my free b-day beverage at Starbucks (can’t beat that!) and followed with a pretty low-key morning at work. I went and got a shellac manicure on my lunch hour (switched it up from the pedi, for now), grabbed some turkey chili from Panera for lunch, and when I got back to work I had this yummy surprise waiting for me!

edible arrangement

My parents sent me an Edible Arrangements basket with the sweetest card attached to it. I was totally surprised!

The afternoon went by pretty quickly and I managed to coerce a few of my co-worker pals to come visit me and help me make a dent in that fruit basket. ;)

When I went to pick up Lucas after work, I had a special card waiting for me from “him.”

birthday card

Best homemade card I’ve ever received. Smile

Once I got home from work, I noticed that I had some more yummy (not birthday related, but I’ll pretend anyways) goodies waiting for me. One box came from Food Should Taste Good and included some of their new flavors of chips. Umm, guacamole chips? YES.

food should taste good chips

I’d already seen a few other bloggers mention them and word on the street is that they’re pretty fantastic.

The other box came from popchips and, well, let’s just say I’m pretty well stocked on those for a while now. Winking smile

popchips

Looks like I’ll be snackin’ happy, right? Yum!

Lucas went down for a nap shortly after we got home, so I enjoyed a little quiet time until the hubby came home. The two of us chatted for a while about our days, and then he surprised me with my birthday gift…

ruby ring

I had mentioned briefly at one point that I would love a piece of jewelry with Lucas’s birthstone (a ruby) and he was certainly listening! I am totally in love with my new ring but right now I have to wear it on my pointer finger until I can get it sized…hopefully we can make it out this weekend!

Around 5:30pm, we popped open some bubbly.

champagne

And man, let me tell you…it was tastin’ goooooood last night. I may or may not have wound up with a pretty decent little birthday buzz.

My brother wound up stopping by to visit, so I let him have some “uncle” time with Lucas and he took care of feeding him dinner.

dan and lucas

The two of them were too cute. Lucas wasn’t quite sure what to think of having uncle Dan feed him at first, but he quickly realized it was cool and went to town on his avocado and sweet potatoes. :)

Once the little man went to bed, it was time for some dinner! Jay worked so hard on making this Risotto with Chicken and Spring Peas dish, and seriously guys, it tasted SO. FREAKIN. GOOD.

Risotto with Chicken and Spring Peas

It was a bit different of a risotto than what I’ve been used to before, but I absolutely loved it. It had the most amazing flavor! He served it with some simple roasted asparagus which was just as tasty.

And, of course, there was a special birthday dessert to be had…

Cupcakes! Jay picked up four of these monster cupcakes (seriously, they’re jumbo sized if you couldn’t tell from the photo) from a local bakery, J&S Watkins. It was the first time I’d ever had anything from there but WOW. Delicious.

cupcakes

Him and I each split the red velvet and lemon cake with raspberry buttercream (incredible), and while I was absolutely stuffed by the time I was finished, it was worth every single bite.

So yeah, that’s pretty much a recap of my first day in my 30’s! It wasn’t anything too wild and crazy but I loved everything about it…especially just being able to be with my boys.

family

Hehe, you like that grey color scheme we had goin’ on? Grey cozies was the name of the game last night. ;)

Here’s to hoping everyone has a great weekend ahead! Jay and I have a night out tonight for his company party and word on the street is that there’s something fun happening tomorrow too, so we’ll see what’s happening!

I’ll catch you cool cats later!

1 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } January 31, 2014 at 8:53 am

What a great looking birthday! Those cupcakes look delicious, and that ring is just gorgeous. Well done, Jay!

2 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat January 31, 2014 at 8:57 am

Aw, what a great birthday! Jay definitely has good taste…that ring is gorgeous! Those cupcakes look fantastic, and the homemade birthday card from Lucas is adorable!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Drool Worthy Pins #6

3 Alaina January 31, 2014 at 9:06 am

Looks like such a wonderful birthday Courtney! I’m very much looking forward to turning 30 this March. I’m ready for a new decade! And a new age bracket when I race. ;-)
Alaina recently posted..2014 Mohegan Sun Wine Fest & A Giveaway!

4 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 31, 2014 at 9:08 am

Awww, that’s my version of the perfect birthday right there! I’m so glad that you had such a special day. You have so many people in your life that love you so much! Major props to Jay on the beautiful ring!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Bits & Pieces of Ashley: Housecleaning

5 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 31, 2014 at 9:12 am

That sounds like a perfect birthday to me! Courtney, you are so surrounded by love! :) <3

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 31, 2014 at 9:12 am

Looks like such a fun birthday! And really, who doesn’t love a good mani to celebrate? :)

7 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life January 31, 2014 at 9:12 am

Looks like you were spoiled on your birthday! (As you should be!!) that birthstone ring is so gorgeous and such a thoughtful gift! I received an edible arrangements from my parents on my 19th birthday. I was still in the dorms at college so it was fun to share with everyone! :)

8 Traci January 31, 2014 at 9:28 am

Lucas is too darn cute! Happy belated birthday!!

9 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 31, 2014 at 9:28 am

What a fantastic birthday! That ring is so gorgeous, and definitely thoughtful. And of course, the card is just precious ;-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Things Friday 01/31/14.

10 Christy January 31, 2014 at 9:35 am

Happy 30th!! Welcome to the club! I see so much of your brother in Lucas. Their pic together in this post is adorable.
Christy recently posted..{ Hugs }

11 Ali January 31, 2014 at 9:41 am

Happy Birthday! That ring is beautiful! Cheers to a great husband who listens:)

12 Ashleee@hisnhers January 31, 2014 at 9:47 am

What a great way to bring in your 30th year! I hope you had a wonderful day! Happy Birthday!

13 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty January 31, 2014 at 9:56 am

Such a sweet and personal gift from your hubby. It is absolutely beautiful. Such a perfect way to celebrate your birthday (minus the work part of course)!
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Superbowl Food

14 FitBritt@MyOwnBalance January 31, 2014 at 10:09 am

What a great birthday! You hubby is so sweet and that card from Lucas is adorable. I kind of teared up a bit!
FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted..Friday’s Food & Fitness: Fit and Healthy in NYC

15 Danica @ It's Progression January 31, 2014 at 10:10 am

Your new ring is beautiful!! I’m glad you had a great birthday!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Five Friday Favorites

16 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 31, 2014 at 10:16 am

Aw I’m so glad you had such a special birthday! I love the idea of getting jewelry with your baby’s birthstone. Since Addie was born in April, her birthstone is diamond … ;) Hmm …. haha!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Addison Grace: 9 Months Old

17 Brigitt January 31, 2014 at 10:19 am

Sounds like the perfect birthday!! Glad you enjoyed it! :)
Brigitt recently posted..Ziti in Garlic Parmesan Sauce With Bacon and Peas

18 Laura January 31, 2014 at 10:55 am

Yay! That sounds like the perfect birthday celebration. Way to go Jay!! That ring is beautiful. Your family is so cute!! Happy Friday!!

19 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life January 31, 2014 at 11:02 am

Oh my goodness, what a PERFECT birthday! <3 I can't get over how incredibly gorgeous that ruby ring is!
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..Be Sweet to Yourself

20 Crystal D. January 31, 2014 at 11:17 am

The ring is beautiful! Good job Jay! I have a necklace with Michael’s birthstone in it (aquamarine) but I wanted a more personalized necklace with his birthstone so I had a necklace made over at http://www.thevintagepearl.com I love it!!! This is the one I got https://thevintagepearl.com/large-layers.html and I had his birthstone added to it! I love it!!! You should check it out. I know you can also find some on Etsy that are similar. I am happy to hear you had such a wonderful birthday with the boys. The picture of Uncle Dan feeding Lucas is so cute. He is such a proud Uncle and you can tell. My brother is like that with Michael and it melts my heart. Have a great day and weekend!

Crystal @alohababy27 (Instagram)

21 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run January 31, 2014 at 11:28 am

Glad you had a great 30th! I love FSTG chips – yum!
Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run recently posted..Gluten-Free V-Day Sweet Treats

22 Kaylie @ FitnessMovesYou January 31, 2014 at 11:40 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

It looks like you had a wonderful day with your family… and cupcakes! What could be better? :)
Kaylie @ FitnessMovesYou recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals & A VLOG- 5 Tips To Staying Healthy On Vacation

23 cait @pieceofcait January 31, 2014 at 11:55 am

Awww.. I love that ring with the birthstone.. and that card.. OMG, too cute<3 happy belated birthday!!!!

24 Dayna January 31, 2014 at 12:19 pm

What a fabulous birthday! That ring is beautiful. You are quite the lucky lady ;) Lucas’s card is so precious! He worked hard on that for his mommy! Glad to hear you had a great birthday. Bring on the best years of your life xoxo
Dayna recently posted..For the LOVE of Fridays

25 Jess @dearhealthyness January 31, 2014 at 12:44 pm

It looks like a great birthday!!!! Spending the day with family is better than anything else! Congratulation!! Wishing you the best for the weekend ahead!
btw: extra large cupcakes: hell yes, is your birth-day after all!
Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted..Friday Favorites of Food

26 Jen January 31, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Had to chime in to say hope one of the cupcakes was carrot cake because J&S watkins as the BEST CARROT CAKE IN THE WORLD. Sounds like you had a fantastic birthday!!!

27 Ellie@Fit for the soul January 31, 2014 at 2:42 pm

What an awesome 30th birthday, Courtney! And best of all–Lucas is with you for such a special time. And uhhhhh oh great…now I want cupcakes. -_- haha
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..How to Overcome Self-Hatred and Negative Thoughts

28 Tara@PNWRunner January 31, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Aww, what a precious card! You’ll be receiving so many handmade cards in years to come! I remember making them for my mom and dad. :) Looks like you had a stupendous B-day! Enjoy the weekend!
Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..Common Triathlon Q&A’s

29 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers January 31, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Sounds like a pretty awesome birthday! (except for the work part, but the rest was pretty dang good!) You deserve it. :)
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Mom Stuff

30 Ruthie Hart January 31, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Looks like a fabulous birthday! I LOVE your ruby ring! My sister is a July baby and my mom always wore a ruby necklace when we were growing up and I loved it. I got a James Avery bracelet and necklace engraved with Ford’s initials when he was born and I plan on giving them to his future wife (yes I am crazy and think about that kind of stuff… and cry about it) but you could do that with the ring someday :)

31 Shel@PeachyPalate January 31, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Perfect day if you ask me! Those cards will be the most special and important from here on in! Yummy dinner…healthy too boot! Enjoy your night out!

32 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 31, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Happy Birthday and wow it looks like you had a wonderful day full of so much love! I really love the ring – Jay did a great job picking that out!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Five Things I Am Loving TODAY

33 Leigha @ Minougirl January 31, 2014 at 4:02 pm

So glad you had a fabulous b-day! It sure was filled with some good eats :)
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..WIAW – Snow Day Eats

34 Amelia @i_heart_kale January 31, 2014 at 4:26 pm

What a great way to ring in your 30th year!! It’s always fun to get a gift at work, especially if its the edible variety. ;)
Jay did an awesome job with dinner & your ring. It is beautiful! Now you are going to need one with each baby you have…or maybe earrings next?
Those cupcakes look insane. With all of the birthdays and celebrations around us lately, I’m going to need to find one soon. Why has no one had cake at their parties?

35 Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely January 31, 2014 at 5:32 pm

What a perfect birthday! I love your birthday ring! Your luck he was born in a month that has a pretty birthstone. Some of them are hideous! Ha! Enjoy your weekend!
Sarah @ Sarah Sincerely recently posted..Five Things Friday {1/31/14}

36 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie January 31, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Family. Jewelry. Champagne. Cupcakes. Looks like you had a pretty perfect birthday, pretty lady!
Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..Healthy Mexican Pizza Recipe

37 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves January 31, 2014 at 6:04 pm

It looks like you had a wonderful birthday! You received some really awesome gifts and special deliveries, but I’m sure the family time was the best part of your birthday :)
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Fascinating Friday Links #22

38 Kelly @ Femme Fitale January 31, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Happy 30th, Courtney!

High fives to Jay for being such a super husband! Enjoy your downtime with the fam this weekend :)
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..January Favourites

39 Jenn@Mark My Mile! February 1, 2014 at 5:47 am

Awww…sounds like a perfect birthday! Happy Birthday pretty mama!!!
Jenn@Mark My Mile! recently posted..Friday confessions #3-Family Portrait

40 Linz @ Itz Linz February 1, 2014 at 7:46 am

awww great birthday!! love that card, ring, cupcakes, and night with your boys!! so sweet!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Under Armour Performance Heart Rate Monitor

41 Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork February 1, 2014 at 11:34 am

Looks like a wonderful celebration! The picture of your brother with Lucas is adorable! Kind of like, “Yeah, okay, I can handle this. This is cool.”

What a wonderful husband to have gotten you such a great gift, made a wonderful meal, and the cupcakes! You couldn’t ask for more!

Happy birthday!

42 Caitlin February 3, 2014 at 10:31 am

Aww what a sweet fam selfie (even with the gray, haha!) and I’m so glad you had a lovely birthday. Your dinner looks excellent and I love the idea of getting a ruby since it’s Lucas’s birthstone. Jay is a good guy!
Caitlin recently posted..MIMM: I Did It!