A Surprise 30th Birthday Party

by Courtney on February 3, 2014

Hey hey guys! Happy Monday to you all. Did everyone have a great weekend? Watch some football? Eats crap tons of food while watching said football game? Don’t worry…you’re not alone!

So our weekend was pretty darn spectacular. Friday night Jay and I were out for the evening for his company party. It was at The Comedy Works (a local comedy club) and included some pretty delicious food, good drinks, and some pretty decent comedians (minus the last one…oh my god. SO awful. So awkward.).

Saturday afternoon we attended Lucas’s pal Sophie’s 1st birthday party and then that evening, we left the little man at home with my in-laws and headed out to celebrate my birthday!

Now all along, I knew there was something happening but Jay wouldn’t give me too many details. All I knew was that friends were coming and that it was going to be at Sarah and Jeff’s house. Well that afternoon, Jay told me that we were going to have to stop down at B-Rad’s Bistro to pick up some food platters because “Sarah wasn’t feeling well” and couldn’t make it down during the afternoon. Okay, no biggie.

But once we arrived, I quickly discovered that the party wasn’t at Sarah’s…it was at B-Rad’s!

So many of our closest friends made it out to celebrate with me and I spent the whole night feeling just so grateful for all of these wonderful people I have in my life.

If you’ve been reading for any amount of time, then most of these faces are probably going to look familiar to you…

Like me bestie, Heather, who’s due with baby #2 in just six weeks(!!)…

And my college girls and their men…

And the fam…

Of course mom and dad couldn’t miss a party! They’re bigger party animals than I am. Winking smile

And when I say family, I also need to include Scott, since we basically named him an honorary member quite a few years ago. He’s like “the second brother I never had.”

Jay did such an amazing job at planning this party. I really was SO impressed! There was the craziest, most delicious spread of food, plenty of drinks (I was lovin’ me some champagne, I’ll tell ya!), super cute decorations (purple = favorite color, black = OLD, and gold = golden birthday), and THE most delicious cake.

For those of you who are local, the cake came from Piece of Cake in East Greenbush and I cannot say enough good things about her. The cake was a triple layer almond cake, filled with a caramel cream, and topped with buttercream frosting. Umm, yeah. Insane!!

It really was such a great night and was definitely the perfect way to welcome in my 30’s.

Sunday was probably the laziest day on record. Yes, I was feeling slightly “tired” upon waking that morning, but the day just seemed to keep on flying by and before I knew it, it was 3:45 and I was still in my PJ’s. Hey, oh well. We all need a lazy day every now and then, right?

*****

This morning, we had Lucas’s 6 month well check appointment which went really well! (I posted this pic on Instagram shortly before we left…he was asking me if we could just skip the shots all together).

Little man is up to about 17.5 pounds and 27.5 inches long. He got half of his vaccinations today and took ‘em like a champ (we’ll head back next week for the other two – we’ve split them every time so far and – knock on wood – he’s handled them all with no problems) and is now napping away.

Here’s to hoping that he’s in an okay mood for the rest of today! But, regardless, I’ll be here to give him lots of snuggles. Smile

1 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat February 3, 2014 at 10:29 am

Surprise parties are always so hard to pull off, but it sounds like Jay did an awesome job! It looks like a great party, and that cake sounds SO amazing!

Love that last pic of Lucas and glad to hear his 6 month check-up went well!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Chocolate Cherry Vanilla Almond Bites and NuNaturals GIVEAWAY

2 Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl February 3, 2014 at 10:31 am

Glad you had such a good weekend! :)
Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl recently posted..Prepping for Spring

3 Samantha @ Anatomy of My World February 3, 2014 at 10:36 am

Love surprise parties! Looks like Jay did a great job planning! Happy belated :)

4 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries February 3, 2014 at 10:37 am

What a fun celebration! All of your favorite people in one place – couldn’t be better!! Love that last photo of Lucas! So glad to hear the shots went well. :) xoxo
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..7 Miles of Thoughts

5 Dayna February 3, 2014 at 10:37 am

What a fabulous surprise! So happy to see you had an amazing time at your party. Jay did wonderful. You definitely deserved a nice break and LOTS of champagne ;)

6 Sabrina February 3, 2014 at 10:55 am

Happy birthday!

I never saw a photo of your mom before – she is gorgeous!!
Sabrina recently posted..Stitch Fix #2

7 Jenny @ The Wellness Journey February 3, 2014 at 10:55 am

Aww! What a nice surprise! You deserve it. :)
Jenny @ The Wellness Journey recently posted..Snow, Sleepovers, and FOOOOOOD!!!!

8 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life February 3, 2014 at 11:00 am

What a sweet suprise from your husband! <3 The party looks like it was fantastic and I'm sure it made your birthday just THAT much better!:) Oh my goodness, I can't get over that cake either!!
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..MIMM #42- perfect mornings & Super Bowl Sunday

9 Tina Reale February 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

Looks like so much fun! And I have ALWAYS wanted a surprise birthday party. Always! Peter has already told me never to count on one because he for sure isn’t a party planner. Oh, well. Haha!

10 Nicole February 3, 2014 at 11:28 am

Wooohoo!! What a fun birthday – to be surrounded by family and friends is the best! So glad you were treated so well for your special day! You’ve got a great group of people who love you! :) :)

11 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire February 3, 2014 at 11:35 am

Awwww, how sweet of Jay!! That cake looks amazing. I also love that picture of Lucas and how animated he is–I love when babies start to really show their personalities. :) He’s adorable!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Birthday Weekend Recap

12 Abi@AbsofSteel February 3, 2014 at 12:23 pm

That’s so funny, I just partook in a surprise birthday party for a friend this saturday. Glad you had a nice birthday celebration!
Abi@AbsofSteel recently posted..New Haircut and an Early Morning Workout

13 Angie@adiamondthatshinesbright.com February 3, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Your mom is so beautiful! What a nice birthday surprise, you are one blessed lady!

14 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl February 3, 2014 at 12:41 pm

What a fun b-day celebration! I think Jay’s a keeper! ;) Your little man is so photogenic…. love that last pic!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Orange Pistachio Truffles

15 Jamie @ Dishing Out Health February 3, 2014 at 12:49 pm

How fun!! What a thoughtful hubby! That cake sounds and looks AMAZING! Holy cow. Glad you enjoyed a well-deserved celebration!
Jamie @ Dishing Out Health recently posted..Sage Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with Spicy Beet Ketchup

16 Ellie@Fit for the soul February 3, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Whoaaaa nice work, Jay! That is sooo clever about making it loook like Sarah was sick~It’s like he tricked you twice, haha.
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Jump Rope Meltdown HIIT and Bad DOMS

17 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves February 3, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Sweet! Surprise birthdays are always fun, whether you’re planning it or whether you’re the birthday girl! :) That cake really does sound amazing too.
That last picture of Lucas just kills me— so incredibly adorable!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Solo Superbowl Vlog {MIMM #22}

18 Sue February 3, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Happy Belated Birthday!!! It looks like you had a great time. And melt my heart. That picture of Lucas is adorable!!! Have a great day.

Sue

19 Avery @ Young Aspirations February 3, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Way to go Jay! So impressive! My husband is good at many things, but secret keeping is not one of them. He literally almost told me when he was planning on proposing because he CANNOT keep news to himself, haha. Glad you had a great 30th birthday! :)
Avery @ Young Aspirations recently posted..My Pregnancy: 25 week update

20 Allison February 3, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Seriously, THE cutest baby boy I have ever seen!

21 Shel@PeachyPalate February 3, 2014 at 3:04 pm

What a cool surprise!!! Great pics of the night! Love the blouse and your hair is stunning!!! You don’t look a day past 21!

22 Leigha @ Minougirl February 3, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Omg, how fun! I seriously can’t get over that cake. YUM!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Weekend Snapshots

23 Brittany @ proteinandpumps February 3, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Oh that cake sounds ah-mazing! Surprise parties are always so much fun
Brittany @ proteinandpumps recently posted..Quick Dinners: Broiled Mahi Mahi Recipe

24 Stacie @ Simply Southern Stacie February 3, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Surprise parties are just so fun! I’m glad you were able to celebrate with all your family and friends!
Stacie @ Simply Southern Stacie recently posted..February Stitch Fix Review

25 Erin February 3, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I was at that show too on Friday night! I totally agree with you on the last comedian, soooo awkward! I spent a lot of the time cringing every time he dropped an f bomb or flicked off the audience. I mean, he had some good material but his delivery was awful! Anyway, glad you had a fun Bday weekend. Happy 30th!

26 Courtney February 3, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Oh no kidding, really?!? Were you upstairs or downstairs at the private party? But yes, seriously…totally with you on the flicking off the audience, right?! That man just seemed to hate his life haha!

27 Linz @ Itz Linz February 3, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Looks like a wonderful celebration! Well done, Jay! :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Weekend Highlights

28 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 3, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Looks like a great party!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Meal Plan Monday: 2/3

29 sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com February 3, 2014 at 7:01 pm

wow-that cake is impressive~
sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com recently posted..A Wednesday In The Life

30 Floey February 3, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Cute! Did you cut your hair?

31 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun February 3, 2014 at 7:42 pm

How sweet of Jay to plan such a great party for you all! Hope you enjoyed every minute! :)
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Monday Mindless Facts

32 cait @pieceofcait February 3, 2014 at 9:39 pm

awesome surprise! its so great to be with the ones you love :)

33 Danica @ It's Progression February 3, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Way to go, Jay! Glad you had such a great time celebrating!!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..scenes from the weekend 2.2.14

34 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen February 4, 2014 at 5:33 am

Adorable!!!! How sweet to have a surprise birthday :) What an amazing weekend!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..{VIDEO} Top 5 Products I Couldn’t Live Without During my Whole30

35 Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork February 4, 2014 at 7:28 am

That’s so great you had a surprise party! You must have felt so loved. My poor husband planned a surprise party for my 30th last year and we had a snowstorm that day that closed all roads (except for essential personnel). They didn’t lift the ban until later that night, so my parents and one friend made it over. Wasn’t the first time I’ve had a party cancelled due to snow.

Your son is SO adorable!
Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork recently posted..New Year’s Goals Check-In: January

36 Caitlin February 4, 2014 at 12:19 pm

The last Lucas pic….ahhh! Dying! Prob my fave ever. How awesome of Jay to throw you that party. Your top is adorable and that CAKE! Sounds/looks epic! So glad you had fun and a lazy Sunday sounds like the perfect follow-up to a party like that.
Caitlin recently posted..Trade Em Up Tuesday: An Excuse to Ramble

37 Annette@FitnessPerks February 4, 2014 at 12:36 pm

What a sweet husband you have!! Such a fun idea to do a surprise party. Happy birthday to you!!!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Postpartum & Baby: 3 Months Update

38 Kaylie @ FitnessMovesYou February 4, 2014 at 3:54 pm

It sounds like you had a blast! Happy birthday!!!
Kaylie @ FitnessMovesYou recently posted..Vegas Trip 2014

39 Kelly February 4, 2014 at 9:29 pm

That literally sounds like the most amazing cake in the history of all cakes. Wow. I might need to take a trip over to East Greenbush! Also, I am literally next door to B-rads all the time but I’ve never actually gone there… It’s always so busy I don’t know why I haven’t tried it! I’m glad you had so much fun at your party!!!
Kelly recently posted..“I can’t emphasize enough how little we thought about this”

40 Jenn@Mark My Miles! February 5, 2014 at 4:17 am

What a lovely weekend!!!!! And that cake, looks beautiful and tasty. Happy Belated Birthday!!!!
Jenn@Mark My Miles! recently posted..A 3:16 AM wake up…

41 Nala February 5, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Looks like you had super fun and what a sweet surprise – you deserve it!!