Weekend Highlights {2/10}

by Courtney on February 10, 2014

Such a great weekend. So much accomplished. So bummed to see it come to an end so soon!

Friday night, once the babe was in bed, we had these tacos for dinner, which turned out pretty well, along with some side salads. The tacos were good and definitely had some good flavor, but I think they needed some more cheese. Mmmhmm.

I was exhausted come Friday evening so I’m pretty sure I didn’t make it much past 10pm for bedtime. However, my early bedtime didn’t mean a whole lot, since I wound up being woken up pretty much every 2 to 2-1/2 hours, thanks to this sweet boy.

We were totally dumbfounded. Lucas is usually fairly good at his nighttime sleep, even though he doesn’t always sleep through the night, he’ll usually only wake up once. Well, last week was a growth spurt so we had a few extra wakeups, but Friday night was like nothing we’d ever experienced. We thought maybe it was teeth? But, really, we have no clue. He still woke up happy as a clam…while mommy walked around like a zombie. Winking smile

Despite the lack of sleep Friday night, our Saturday wound up being quite productive! The three of us managed a trip to Sam’s Club, some window shopping for the bathroom remodel, a trip to the mall to drop off my ring to get sized, and even Lucas’s first real dinner out!

(I wound up buying the cart/highchair cover pictured above from Zulily {<—affiliate link!} and I absolutely love it! It worked perfect.)

Jay and I got a gift card to Red Robin for Christmas, so we decided to call up my parents to see if they were around to come and join us. Them miss out on a chance to see their grandson? No wayyyyy. Winking smile

All things considered, Lucas did fairly well for his first real dinner out! I ordered a side of avocado and fed him some of that while I chowed on a burger and some fries.

P.S. – The Banzai Burger with provolone swapped for cheddar? AMAZING.

Thankfully, Lucas was muuuuch nicer to us with his sleep on Saturday night, so we all woke up feeling slightly more rested. We all had a nice lazy start to the day, including some coffee, reading, and browsing of the grocery flyers.

Hey, check out those bald spots on my head, eh? I’m STILL losing hair like its my job…please, someone tell me it’s going to stop?!? Oh yeah, and Lucas is getting quite close to attempting a crawl these days…gulp.

The rest of Sunday turned out to be pretty productive on the home front. Some laundry, cleaning, and some lunch prep for a few days this week.

I finally put together all of Lucas’s monthly photos in this frame that I found at Wal-Mart (it was only, like, $13 I think?!) and I love it. I just need to figure out how I want to put his name on there since, ya know, “baby’s name” isn’t gonna work too well.

I managed to get a great workout in (I took Friday off because I was just physically and mentally exhausted…I took Saturday off because I was lazy) in the form of the R.I.P.P.E.D DVD that I totally love. Man, it is seriously a great workout.

I also made a couple big batches of baby food for the babe; peas, sweet potatoes, and apples (unpictured). I really need to buy some more ice cube trays though…three just doesn’t cut it when I decide to get crazy and make a ton of goods.

And finally, we also had a visitor on Sunday…Uncle Dan came to visit!

Dan hung out with all of us for a few hours, and we all wound up cracking open a couple of beers that we picked up on Saturday. Have any of you guys tried the Sam Adams Cold Snap?

It’s a seasonal brew and I am totally a fan! Reminds me a lot of Blue Moon…perfect with an orange slice or two. I enjoyed one but, well, let’s just say that the boys enjoyed a few more than me and were having quite a good time. Winking smile

Before we knew it, it was bedtime for the babe, and then Jay and I enjoyed a few hours together catching up on the DVR before it was bedtime for this sleepy mama.

And just like that, here we are at Monday once again. Here’s to hoping everyone has a great week ahead!

What were some of your weekend highlights? Any good eats? Good drinks? Great workouts?

1 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 10, 2014 at 6:31 am

Looks like a wonderfully productive weekend! Wish I could say the same–I feel like I never get anything done on the weekends!

I feel like I always say this, but Lucas is just sooo cute!!! Love that little smile!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Sunday Snapshots – 2/9

2 Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom February 10, 2014 at 6:53 am

Gaaaaah….I LOVE that frame! I’ll definitely be buying that if/when I have a second.

I had the most lovely weekend with my husband and daughter. It was mostly chores and playing inside (too damn cold, too much snow!), but I just love any quality time I get with them because it’s so sparse during the week. Last night we ate our body weight in sushi (my 18 month old included)!
Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom recently posted..Toddlers are Weird.

3 Madison February 10, 2014 at 7:25 am

Looks like an amazing weekend!!!

We had a very lazy weekend here but that is okay every now and then, right? :)
Madison recently posted..Brown Sugar Toffee Pizza

4 Linz @ Itz Linz February 10, 2014 at 7:34 am

on saturday night we went out to a great greek restaurant and enjoyed (devoured!) gyro salads and falafel and then went out for froyo for dessert!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..No More Rabies Vaccinations

5 Laura February 10, 2014 at 7:35 am

We had a lazy weekend here but it was much needed!

A few months after I had my now 18 month old daughter, I started losing a TON of hair, so much that I had 4 quarter size bald spots on various places on my head. I was diagnosed with postpartum alopecia. It finally started growing back about 8 months ago and i now have about 4″ of growth where those spots used to be. The doctor said it was the change in hormones after giving birth.

6 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire February 10, 2014 at 8:00 am

Looks like a good weekend! The best part of my weekend was Sunday. The weather was gorgeous and I spent a lot of time outside in the sun. I can’t believe how big Lucas is getting—looking at that picture, it really shows! He’s just so adorable!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Weekend Recap

7 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List February 10, 2014 at 8:15 am

i think the most frustrating thing for me as a new mom with Henry were the “unexplainables.” Those times when logic and reasoning just didn’t make sense and he did what he was gonna do. So hard at times!
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..the 2014 Blend Retreat

8 Stacey M. February 10, 2014 at 8:18 am

Sounds like you had yet another great weekend doing lots of different things. I spent most of the day on Saturday helping my cousin prepare for her wedding that’s only 2 WEEKS away. We finished making the favors (mason jars full of hot chocolate ingredients), preparing place cards, pulling together the materials for the centerpieces and wrapping up gifts for the wedding party. I’m so excited for her wedding because it’s my first time being a bridesmaid! I cannot wait to party with her and our family. Sunday was full of the usual … laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, food prep, etc. Routine and not so fun but it needs to be done.

9 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers February 10, 2014 at 8:38 am

Aww, Lucas – let your mama sleep! haha Ethan usually just gets us up once or twice at night, but lately he has been waking up super early too. Yawwwwn!

Thank goodness for the lovely new-to-me wine I had on Friday. Rutherford Cab – totally recommended. :)
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Busy Busy Busy!

10 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles February 10, 2014 at 8:46 am

Looks like a great weekend to me! And awesome that Lucas’ first dinner outing went well. We did a LOT of eating out over the weekend – dinner Friday, lunch Saturday, brunch Sunday. It was fabulous and a nice break from the kitchen ;-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The Weekend Where I Didn’t Really Cook Anything.

11 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat February 10, 2014 at 9:02 am

Don’t you just love productive weekends! I love to start the week knowing I got so much done! That’s great that Lucas’ first real dinner outing went well. I bet that was a big relief! ;-)

Saturday, my parents’ and brother came over to celebrate my mom’s birthday. I made a homemade funfetti cake, which turned out awesome. And Sunday, I did some meal prep, got in a great workout and relaxed.
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..10 Things You May Not Know About Me

12 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne February 10, 2014 at 9:09 am

Dang you did get a lot done!! And omg Red Robin, they make the best burgers. Everytime we go there (which isn’t often) it’s all I can smell from the second I step into the restaurant. I think we need to make a trip there soon :)
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Is It Monday Yet?

13 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries February 10, 2014 at 9:12 am

Sounds like a great weekend! I think my hair loss suddenly slowed down around 6-7 months? I feel ya though, I lost SO much! I still have these awesome “horns” sticking up occasionally from the regrowth.

Weekend highlights: fun Friday evening with friends; (decent) 8 mile run on Saturday; great Sunday Bible study meeting. It was nothing too crazy, but it was perfect.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..My Heart Is Heavy

14 Jennifer February 10, 2014 at 9:55 am

Where do you get the bowls you pack your prepared salads in?! Those looks convenient!

15 Courtney February 10, 2014 at 10:14 am

Hahaha…they’re actually takeout containers that we get from one of the local Italian restaurants we order from occasionally. They ARE super convenient! ;)

16 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty February 10, 2014 at 9:56 am

It definitely sounds like a growth spurt! Lucky he has mom’s breastmilk to help with the growing pains!
Your weekend looked great! Relaxing yet productive = perfection!
Mine had the same combo…we took the pup to the dog park, watched the Olympics, ran a bunch of errands, did some food prep. The more I think of it, it was more relaxing than it was productive but I am absolutely okay with that!
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Pizza Crust

17 Alaina February 10, 2014 at 10:43 am

I have a question about the baby food. When you want to use it, do you allow it to defrost naturally, or do you put it in the microwave? Thanks!

18 Courtney February 10, 2014 at 11:14 am

If I think ahead of time, I’ll let it defrost overnight, but I’ve also defrosted it in the microwave too!

19 Alaina February 10, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Thanks for sharing! :D What a smart idea!

20 Megan February 10, 2014 at 11:19 am

I’d love a post on making baby food! :)

21 Angie @ Pint of Goals February 10, 2014 at 11:28 am

Isn’t it frustrating when sleep is going well, and then something suddenly changes? I hate not knowing WHY – is it teething, a growth spurt, illness, etc? Finley is also going through a rough patch of nighttime sleeping, and we’ve been doing more co-sleeping. It’s just after getting up with her a few times to feed or soothe, I’m so tired that it’s seems like the best option at 4am.
This weekend my mom visited and help me clean out my freezer of some leftovers. We ate turkey kale soup and pesto meatballs. The most delicious thing I ate, though, was Orange Leaf on Saturday night – yum!

22 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog February 10, 2014 at 11:30 am

I love the idea of using ice cube trays for baby food – I’m going to store in my head for the day that my turn arrives…hopefully :-)

Will definitely try the beer as I’m on a major Blue Moon kick these days!

My weekend was amazing – just moved back to my hometown (so I’m no longer a fellow New Yorker!), and it was so fun catching up with friends, friends’ kids, etc. Took a kickboxing class that ended up being more like bootcamp with a couple of jabs mixed in. It was not what I expected, but an amazing workout!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..So, ya Just Broke Up: Write About It

23 Katie February 10, 2014 at 11:57 am

My hair just starting getting better this past month, so hopefully yours does soon too! I know it is different for everyone!

Yay for lots of baby food making! I made broccoli for the first time, hoping Rocco loves it. I actually have been using ice cube trays too now, I make too much and didn’t have enough containers! The ice cube trays work well!

Happy Monday!

24 Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment February 10, 2014 at 12:28 pm

This weekend I made another loaf of the grain free banana bread that I wrote about in a recent post. So good – I’m obsessed!
Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted..The Resolution Itch

25 Lyric February 10, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I got in a GREAT workout this weekend by managing to set a PR and running 6 miles! It looks like you had a fab weekend!
Lyric recently posted..MIMM : Snow & A Recipe

26 Lana February 10, 2014 at 3:01 pm

My hair loss finally slowed down when my son was around 7 months old.

27 Annette@FitnessPerks February 10, 2014 at 4:37 pm

That is awesome you make your own baby food!

I actually haven’t had any hair loss since having my baby…I have no idea why?!? Maybe you are missing a vitamin or two?

Mmmmm friesssssss!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Weekend Highlights: Our Return

28 Amber February 10, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Hi, Courtney! I actually just spoke with my daughters pediatrician about starting biotin while breastfeeding for postpartum hair loss. He said it was fine, just wondering if you (or anyone else) has tried it? I figure it’s worth a shot!
I second the baby food making post! Thank you :)

29 Janice February 10, 2014 at 5:40 pm

A lot of my friends had the same issue with shedding after their babies were born. It eventually stopped! I shed alot of hair too but recently tried this awesome hair system called Ovation Cell Therapy. It has done wonders for my hair (made it grow, feel more full, etc…) You should look into it!
Janice recently posted..ABCs of Me

30 Andrea @ Pencils and Pancakes February 10, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I love the idea of home made baby food. It’s got to be WAY cheaper. And this way you know exactly what goes in it. I want to try that gold snap too!
Andrea @ Pencils and Pancakes recently posted..What am I supposed to do?

31 Jenn@Mark My Miles! February 10, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Sounds like such a productive weekend. Love those. No good workouts here…baby boy was sick which meant lots of snuggles and no sleep.
Love the frame!!!
Jenn@Mark My Miles! recently posted..Maniac Monday: 3 available spots!

32 Kim February 10, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Looks like a great weekend to me! We saw two movies at the theater this weekend- Labor Day and Anchorman 2. Got take-out from Chipotle and worked out together by doing laps at the indoor pool on post…I’m a horrible swimmer so it was pretty brutal.
Kim recently posted..A Glimpse Inside the Beginnings of Infertility Testing

33 Denisse Cristina February 10, 2014 at 7:08 pm

HI!! I missed your posts this weekend. Literally went on your blog at least 6 times per day to see if you had published anything!! (not in a creepy way! hahaahaha)

34 Ruthie Hart February 10, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I need to hire you to make my salads at home!! I love the thought of them but am so lazy when it comes to prep :) and Ford ate tons of guacamole last week, he loved it! A few times I looked and found an onion in his mouth… whoops

35 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie February 10, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Productive weekends are great! I had one of the best margaritas over the weekend, and I did a fitness photo shoot with a friend. All about balance, right?
Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..Let’s Catch Up

36 Abi@AbsofSteel February 11, 2014 at 5:44 am

lol, I think we might have the same two pairs of weights. I’m guessing they were 5 and 10 pounds.
Abi@AbsofSteel recently posted..Funny Search Terms and Another Treadmill Workout

37 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 11, 2014 at 8:25 am

I went to Red Robin over the weekend, too! Aren’t their fries totally addicting? It’s a good thing they are bottomless ;).
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Guest Post: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

38 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun February 11, 2014 at 8:46 am

We had a really low key weekend and it was PERFECT! We had a nice dinner out on Saturday night and then we spent time at home watching movies and relaxing together – it was prefect going into a stressful week! :) Glad you had a great weekend. That Red Robin looks DELICIOUS!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..My Running Story

39 Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life February 11, 2014 at 9:20 am

Love Red Robin!! Whenever I go, I always get the veggie burger. It’s AMAZING!
Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life recently posted..Liebster Award: Round 2

40 Alissa @ Eat Clean Beauty Queen February 11, 2014 at 9:54 am

Your little man is so adorable! Gosh I haven’t been to a Red Robin in so many years. Sounds great! Hope you’re having better luck with the sleeping so far this week!
Alissa @ Eat Clean Beauty Queen recently posted..Bacon-Wrapped Scallops

41 Shel@PeachyPalate February 11, 2014 at 10:03 am

We had a belated work Christmas party! Freshly made pizzas, cashew ice cream for dessert, smoothie cocktails and one hours sleep and I was in work the next day…so worth it though! It must be teeth…would you try one of the copper necklaces? Do you guys have those I wonder?!

42 Brigitt February 11, 2014 at 10:07 am

Looks like such a fun weekend! Lucas is starting to look so big! Such a cutie. :)
Brigitt recently posted..Fresh Salsa

43 Sarah @ Sweet Miles February 11, 2014 at 12:44 pm

So fun that you can get together with your parents whenever you want! Our trips have to be a bit more planned :) Glad you had a wonderful weekend!
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Active by Old Navy Wish List

44 Katy @ Savor Life's Flavors February 11, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I JUST heard about this beer! I am a big fan of Blue Moon so I can’t wait to try this seasonal brew. :-)
Katy @ Savor Life’s Flavors recently posted..Stuffed Italian Garlic Bread