A Mellow St. Paddy’s Day

by Courtney on March 17, 2014

Hey guys, happy Monday! And more importantly (maybe?)…Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

I don’t have a typical Weekend Highlights post for you today because it was actually a bit mellow of a weekend. Lucas wound up catching his first cold on Friday, so we were battling with that. Luckily, the cold hasn’t been *too* bad (knock on wood) and I’m hopeful it’s on the way out. Fingers crossed…sick babies are just no fun. I’d give anything for him to be able to just cough on me so I could take it away from him…

And now, I totally understand why my mom used to say that to me.

But yes, anywho…today is St. Patrick’s Day. I actually almost forgot about it, since this year hasn’t been nearly as festive as years past.

Yes, if you’ve been reading STSL for a while, then you know that Jay and I, and all of our friends, really like to celebrate and partake in the whole “kegs and eggs” festivities.

DSC01087

I’ve actually always had fun with the holiday. Even back in high school, my friends and I totally used to sport the whole green freckles and colored on shamrocks with magic markers (anyone else? anyone?). But no crazy shenanigans were happening for us this year, and Jay and I were talking over the weekend saying how we were gonna miss our fun and festive party weekend. My, how things change!

One thing I did NOT miss, was the hangover. Heh heh. ;)

Although there is one thing I could definitely go for today, which are THESE delicious cupcakes.

I made these Marbled Irish Cream Cupcakes (with Irish Cream Frosting!) back in 2012 and man, were they good. So just in case you’re also feeling a bit festive today and in the mood to bake, be sure to check ‘em out. Because, really, talk about the perfect excuse to do some boozy baking.

As for me, I have on my (only) bright green shirt today and it’s quite probable that I’ll wind up at Stewart’s on my lunch hour for a 50 cent ice cream cone (their annual St. Paddy’s Day special!), but that’ll most likely be the extent of my festivities until I head home and spend the rest of my day with my little leprechaun. :)

Is anyone else celebrating (or did you already celebrate) St. Paddy’s Day? Any fond or favorite memories of the holiday?

1 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog March 17, 2014 at 9:55 am

I wrote my post on St. Patty’s Day last week, complete with cupcakes and a Skinny Shamrock Shake recipe…And I was just saying the same thing you said – I used to go SO big for St. Patty’s Day. After all, I lived in NYC and Chicago, two cities that celebrated the holiday in a big way. It was green beer, kegs and eggs from 9 AM until 9 PM.

Here in Omaha, I’m having trouble finding people that go out for the holiday. Alas, all of my friends have children too :-). I think I’ll have to settle for my Skinny Shamrock Shake over the green beer, but that’s okay, I had more than my fair share of celebrations.

Plus, like you said, I won’t miss the hangover!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..A Letter to Someone Going Through a Breakup

2 Shel@PeachyPalate March 17, 2014 at 9:55 am

I’m off work today seen as it’s holiday day in Ireland! I’m still in my PJs and it’s lunch time..but I may pop out to the local parade this afternoon if the sun stays out!

3 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine March 17, 2014 at 10:01 am

I actually totally and completely forgot today was St. Patty’s day until a couple of minutes ago! I forgot to wear my green, darn it! Haha! Maybe I’ll pick up on some special festivities a little later today. Or I may have to make a green smoothie :)

4 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty March 17, 2014 at 10:37 am

Please tell me you’re dressing Lucas up in green today! Maybe like a little leprechaun? =)
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..It’s Okay to Order Take Out

5 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat March 17, 2014 at 10:57 am

Growing up and even nowadays, we never celebrated St. Patrick’s Day. I don’t know…it just really wasn’t our thing. I do; however, enjoy the food, especially Irish Soda Bread! That’s my absolute fav!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Fit for Spring Wish List

6 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers March 17, 2014 at 11:39 am

I celebrated with a St Patty’s themed race on Saturday then cooking corned beef and cabbage on Sunday. However,this year it was a bit different than years past. I can’t believe that two years ago I was enjoying green beer and live music down in Savannah, GA. Oooooh how life changes with a wee one, eh?
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Shamrock Race Recap

7 Parita @ myinnershakti March 17, 2014 at 12:18 pm

We “celebrated” in the form of green beer…that’s about it! I think if we lived in a city that really got into the holiday, it’d be a different story. My Chicago friends def. went all out!

8 Kelsey March 17, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Thank you for “paddy”. HUGE pet peeve.

9 Jenn@Mark My Miles! March 17, 2014 at 1:32 pm

As new parents ourselves, this year is very different for us as well. No festivities that include anything other than hanging out at home. It is a snow day here and we are hoping for warm weather soon!
Happy St. Patty’s day!
Jenn@Mark My Miles! recently posted..Comfort Foods +Spring Snow days.

10 Presley @ Run Pretty March 17, 2014 at 1:46 pm

No celebrating here. We’re old now. ;)
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Friday Favorites: Traveling Edition

11 Nancy March 17, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I’m not really celebrating St Paddy’s day today because I’m SICK with a cold! I just caught a cough and it’s driving me mental. I may call up my four Irish (literally born all in Dublin lol) nephews later this afternoon for a chit-chat.

Hope you’re wearing green! :)

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 17, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I’ll be going to the bars this afternoon – I figure I might as well take advantage of my last St. Paddy’s Day as a student ;-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..FLTW: Why Everyone Should Try Therapy.

13 Stephanie March 17, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I know what you mean. My husband and I have thrown a St. Patrick’s Day party every year since…2007, I think, but I just didn’t have the energy this year since my baby was exactly four weeks old this past Saturday. I missed having all our friends over and I especially missed all the food I normally have, but there was just no way (or time) the party was happening. Hopefully Connor will spend some quality time with a grandma next year, and we can have the party again.

14 Linz @ Itz Linz March 17, 2014 at 3:52 pm

we don’t really celebrate st patty’s day – my in-laws did make corn beef & cabbage last night and i made a key lime pie (since it was green haha) that’s about as festive as we get!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Cocogo Discount Code

15 Annette@FitnessPerks March 17, 2014 at 4:09 pm

We don’t go too crazy on St.Patrick’s day really…especially now with a little one! But we do all wear green & try to eat some green foods-so that is fun :)

SOrry he’s been sick–that is so sad when babies are sick!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Weekend Highlights {Family Fun!}

16 Ellie@Fit for the soul March 17, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Hehehe you’re so silly but in the cutest way! Loving the way that costume looks on ya. ;) I always WISHED I had the festive spirit in me but as hard as I try (well, I don’t really try) it’s just not me.
And it seems like you just posted about the cupcakes 2 months ago! Man, time is flying crazy fast. Happy Monday!
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Cheesy Bread and Basil Casserole

17 Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment March 17, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Ha…love your costume!
Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted..Taming Your Sweet Tooth

18 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 17, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I made those cupcakes when you first posted about them–delicious!!!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Meal Plan Monday: 3/17

19 Kim @FITsique March 18, 2014 at 9:40 am

My St. Patty’s celelbrations have changed too and I don’t have a little one! I’ve just gotten old ;) We did make it to the local parade over the weekend and enjoyed the beautiful weather, but that was about it. Yesterday I forgot to even wear green and the lady at Trader Joe’s pinched me and then gave me green stickers to wear lol.
Kim @FITsique recently posted..IIFYM Recipe – Butternut Squash Pancakes With Peanut Butter Cheesecake Filling

20 Alaina March 19, 2014 at 2:23 pm

St. Patrick’s Day is always fun to celebrate for me, since my birthday is the day after. Two days of celebrating! This year was kind of mellow though; Boston gets WAY too crazy on March 17th. I did enjoy some Guinness at home though. ;-)
Alaina recently posted..March 18, 1984