A Mellow St. Paddy’s Day

Hey guys, happy Monday! And more importantly (maybe?)…Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

I don’t have a typical Weekend Highlights post for you today because it was actually a bit mellow of a weekend. Lucas wound up catching his first cold on Friday, so we were battling with that. Luckily, the cold hasn’t been *too* bad (knock on wood) and I’m hopeful it’s on the way out. Fingers crossed…sick babies are just no fun. I’d give anything for him to be able to just cough on me so I could take it away from him…

And now, I totally understand why my mom used to say that to me.

But yes, anywho…today is St. Patrick’s Day. I actually almost forgot about it, since this year hasn’t been nearly as festive as years past.

Yes, if you’ve been reading STSL for a while, then you know that Jay and I, and all of our friends, really like to celebrate and partake in the whole “kegs and eggs” festivities.

DSC01087

I’ve actually always had fun with the holiday. Even back in high school, my friends and I totally used to sport the whole green freckles and colored on shamrocks with magic markers (anyone else? anyone?). But no crazy shenanigans were happening for us this year, and Jay and I were talking over the weekend saying how we were gonna miss our fun and festive party weekend. My, how things change!

One thing I did NOT miss, was the hangover. Heh heh. ;)

Although there is one thing I could definitely go for today, which are THESE delicious cupcakes.

I made these Marbled Irish Cream Cupcakes (with Irish Cream Frosting!) back in 2012 and man, were they good. So just in case you’re also feeling a bit festive today and in the mood to bake, be sure to check ‘em out. Because, really, talk about the perfect excuse to do some boozy baking.

As for me, I have on my (only) bright green shirt today and it’s quite probable that I’ll wind up at Stewart’s on my lunch hour for a 50 cent ice cream cone (their annual St. Paddy’s Day special!), but that’ll most likely be the extent of my festivities until I head home and spend the rest of my day with my little leprechaun. :)

Is anyone else celebrating (or did you already celebrate) St. Paddy’s Day? Any fond or favorite memories of the holiday?

Comments

I wrote my post on St. Patty’s Day last week, complete with cupcakes and a Skinny Shamrock Shake recipe…And I was just saying the same thing you said – I used to go SO big for St. Patty’s Day. After all, I lived in NYC and Chicago, two cities that celebrated the holiday in a big way. It was green beer, kegs and eggs from 9 AM until 9 PM.

Here in Omaha, I’m having trouble finding people that go out for the holiday. Alas, all of my friends have children too :-). I think I’ll have to settle for my Skinny Shamrock Shake over the green beer, but that’s okay, I had more than my fair share of celebrations.

Plus, like you said, I won’t miss the hangover!
    Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..A Letter to Someone Going Through a Breakup

I’m off work today seen as it’s holiday day in Ireland! I’m still in my PJs and it’s lunch time..but I may pop out to the local parade this afternoon if the sun stays out!

I actually totally and completely forgot today was St. Patty’s day until a couple of minutes ago! I forgot to wear my green, darn it! Haha! Maybe I’ll pick up on some special festivities a little later today. Or I may have to make a green smoothie :)

I celebrated with a St Patty’s themed race on Saturday then cooking corned beef and cabbage on Sunday. However,this year it was a bit different than years past. I can’t believe that two years ago I was enjoying green beer and live music down in Savannah, GA. Oooooh how life changes with a wee one, eh?
    Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Shamrock Race Recap

I’m not really celebrating St Paddy’s day today because I’m SICK with a cold! I just caught a cough and it’s driving me mental. I may call up my four Irish (literally born all in Dublin lol) nephews later this afternoon for a chit-chat.

Hope you’re wearing green! :)

I know what you mean. My husband and I have thrown a St. Patrick’s Day party every year since…2007, I think, but I just didn’t have the energy this year since my baby was exactly four weeks old this past Saturday. I missed having all our friends over and I especially missed all the food I normally have, but there was just no way (or time) the party was happening. Hopefully Connor will spend some quality time with a grandma next year, and we can have the party again.

Hehehe you’re so silly but in the cutest way! Loving the way that costume looks on ya. ;) I always WISHED I had the festive spirit in me but as hard as I try (well, I don’t really try) it’s just not me.
    And it seems like you just posted about the cupcakes 2 months ago! Man, time is flying crazy fast. Happy Monday!
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Cheesy Bread and Basil Casserole

My St. Patty’s celelbrations have changed too and I don’t have a little one! I’ve just gotten old ;) We did make it to the local parade over the weekend and enjoyed the beautiful weather, but that was about it. Yesterday I forgot to even wear green and the lady at Trader Joe’s pinched me and then gave me green stickers to wear lol.
    Kim @FITsique recently posted..IIFYM Recipe – Butternut Squash Pancakes With Peanut Butter Cheesecake Filling

St. Patrick’s Day is always fun to celebrate for me, since my birthday is the day after. Two days of celebrating! This year was kind of mellow though; Boston gets WAY too crazy on March 17th. I did enjoy some Guinness at home though. ;-)
    Alaina recently posted..March 18, 1984