WIAW: I Lied

by Courtney on March 19, 2014

Alright, so I guess I lied. That whole thing about Lucas being on the mend? Meh…not really. (I’m typing this up on Tuesday evening so…) Last night (Monday night) was a rough one. Little man was up from about 11:30pm-2:30am and then woke up sound absolutely awful with a nasty cough and runny nose, so I wound up taking the day to work from home and stay with him. He seemed to have gotten a bit better as the day went on but let me tell ya…staying home with a sick baby is no fun.

Since Tuesday nights are Jay’s snowboarding night, that meant that I was on mommy duty all day. Typically this would be nothing but pure joy for me (a full day just me and my baby?! Yay!), but it’s a whole different ballgame when they’re sick. Needless to say, once he finally went down for the evening, this mommy poured her glass a biggggg ol’ glass of wine.

Hey, no judging. Winking smile

So keep your fingers crossed for me that I get a little more sleep tonight as we move on to the main topic of today’s post…WIAW! Today’s post features all of Monday’s eats, some of which will be of no surprise to ya if you read yesterday’s post. Soooo, let’s get to it!

Breakfast

Whipped banana oats with strawberries and a scoop of peanut butter + a grande Starbucks coffee.

oatmeal and coffee

Since Starbucks no longer carries my Caramel Flan OR Caramel Brulee syrup (both were seasonal…tear) I’ve had to get creative. So my most recent order as of late is a grande Blonde Roast with steamed non-fat milk + 1/2 pump white mocha + 1 pump caramel. Amazing.

Mid-Morning Snack

While I did the whole pumping thang, I snacked on a banana.

And when I got back to my desk, I also had two peanut butter and chocolate chip energy bites (*I recently wrote up the recipe for these on my most recent post on The Daily Bubble – be sure to check it out!)

peanut butter and chocolate chip energy bites

Lunch

I’m still on a pretty decent salad kick for lunch, but I decided to switch this one up a bit from the usual. Over the weekend, I prepped a big batch of spelt berries to have for the week, so I added those to some mixed greens along with cucumbers, grape tomatoes, roasted broccoli, hardboiled egg whites, and a wedge of The Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese.

The swap of ingredients and flavors was definitely a nice way to break up the usual, and I’ve been loving the addition of the chewy spelt berries. Yum!

Mid-Afternoon Snack

I honestly wasn’t all that hungry, but I knew I had some of my sunshine (veggie) chips  from NatureBox stashed in my desk at work, so I wound up snacking on a couple handfuls of those.

naturebox sunshine chips

And, as you guys already know, once I got home from work I snacked on a crispy rice treat from Treat House.

crispy rice treat house

Dinner

This one is also no surprise to ya…Chicken & Veggie Stir Fry.

And neither is the second cripsy rice treat that I told ya I snagged after dinner…

As if I hadn’t already had enough sweet stuff though, I still wound up having a little something more…

Dessert

This is a recycled photo, but last night’s dish looked pretty similar…

ice cream

Edy’s Slow Churned Caramel Delight with some Heath bits on top. Mmm mmmm.

Now that I have this post done and my glass of wine is finished, I think it’s about time to crawl into bed (yes, it’s 8pm…remember, no judging) and spend a little quiet time reading my most recent Book Club book. Yep, I’m actually reading it this time! We’re reading Gone Girl, in case you’re curious…I’m about 1/3 of the way into it and I’m totally hooked! Anyone else read it?

Happy Wednesday, friends! Make it a great one!

1 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves March 19, 2014 at 6:59 am

Aww no! I hope Lucas really starts getting on the mend very soon, and that you all get some good rest.
Hey, definitely no judging here. Mama’s gotta do what a mama’s gotta do! And I’ve never tried spelt berries before, but I think I would probably be a big fan since I love hearty grains.
Hope you have a great day, Courtney!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..WIAW: Full Day of Dance

2 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie March 19, 2014 at 7:01 am

Aw, I’m so sorry to hear Lucas still doesn’t feel well. Sick babies are just so sad because they don’t know what’s wrong with them. I hope you both get some much needed rest tonight!
Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..Workout Wednesday: What is on Your Playlist?

3 Kim @FITsique March 19, 2014 at 7:01 am

Oh no! Here’s to a speedy recovery for Lucas AND Mommy! Hope you too get some rest and he gets better! Those crispy rice treats are really making me want to make some myself! They look so good, as does the ice cream :) I really need to get Gone Girl and start reading it, I have only heard great things about it. Hope you have a better day!
Kim @FITsique recently posted..IIFYM Recipe – Butternut Squash Pancakes With Peanut Butter Cheesecake Filling

4 Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork March 19, 2014 at 7:04 am

No judging here! I’m sure being home with a sick baby is hard work. We were also in bed a little after 8 last night and we don’t even have kids!

Yes, have read Gone Girl and I really enjoyed it. I still don’t know how I feel about the ending, but it went well with the book. Enjoy!
Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork recently posted..Bone Health, Vitamin D, and Running Woes

5 Andrea @ Pencils and Pancakes March 19, 2014 at 7:07 am

Argghhh I HAVE to read gone girl sometime!
Andrea @ Pencils and Pancakes recently posted..WIAW- Soup for breakfast!

6 Linz @ Itz Linz March 19, 2014 at 7:35 am

no such thing as too much dessert… EVER! :) and i hope lucas feels better soon – a sick baby definitely can’t be fun- poor guy!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Cherry Coconut Granola Recipe

7 Stacey M. March 19, 2014 at 7:46 am

Sorry to hear about your sick little guy … it’s hard knowing that babies get sick and we can’t just make it all better for them. I hope Lucas is feeling better soon!

I’ve been making those peanut butter energy balls the last couple weeks as well, only I’ve been adding raisins instead of chocolate chips. They are the perfect afternoon snack and keep me full enough to sustain my workout at the gym. Just one more blog “recipe” I’ve fallen in love with!

So glad to hear you’re reading Gone Girl. I bought the book a while back (last summer sometime I think) and have yet to start reading it. Now that you’ve mentioned it, I think I might need to crack it open tonight. I’ve heard that they’re making it into a movie … I really need to read it before that comes out!

8 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl March 19, 2014 at 8:08 am

I hope Lucas gets better soon. Having a sick baby is definitely no fun. Those rice crispy treats look like a yummy little snack indeed!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Breakfast X2….. oops, this is becoming a habit!

9 Amanda March 19, 2014 at 8:18 am

Hope Lucas has a speedy recovery. I have read Gone Girl. I couldn’t put it down, but I am still deciding how I feel about the ending.

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 19, 2014 at 8:35 am

Pretty sure I’m still drooling over those crispy treats….hope Lucas feels better soon!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Wedding Weekend in Tulsa

11 Parita @ myinnershakti March 19, 2014 at 8:41 am

Loved Gone Girl! I was hooked from page one!

The Husband’s Secret is another great read. :)

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 19, 2014 at 8:50 am

Aww, I hope the little man is feeling better soon! And your salad looks amazing – I’ve been so uncreative my salads lately. Maybe once spring hits and I start really craving veggies again?

Gone Girl was a great book…the ending was surprising, to say the least!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW: St. Patrick’s Day.

13 Tori L March 19, 2014 at 8:59 am

Aw I hope the little man feels better soon! And Gone Girl blew. my. mind! I couldn’t put it down; I’m so excited for the movie!
Tori L recently posted..Monday Musings

14 Anna March 19, 2014 at 9:01 am

I’ve read Gone Girl! I loved it, it only took me about 2 days to read because I couldn’t put it down. They’re also making it into a movie!

15 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 19, 2014 at 9:11 am

I am going to have to try to make that stir fry – it looks DELICIOUS and I know my husband would absolutely love it. I love how balanced your day of food is :)
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..The Tale of Two Runs

16 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat March 19, 2014 at 9:19 am

Aw, poor Lucas! Being sick is NO fun! I hope he starts to feel better soon and you get some much needed rest!

Those Naturbox chips sounds delicious! I’ve been thinking of signing up with them. All their snacks look so yummy!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..WIAW #36 – Non-Traditional Pizza

17 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 19, 2014 at 9:27 am

Poor little Lucas! And Mama! I’m so sorry he hasn’t been feeling well. Sick babies are NO fun. I hope you both got some better rest last night!

I got Gone Girl for Christmas two years ago and still haven’t read it! Whoops! I realllly need to pull it out and get into it. I’ve heard so many great things.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..New-to-Me Foods

18 Shel@PeachyPalate March 19, 2014 at 9:29 am

Really hope the little man is doing better today! For a momma on duty you did pretty darn well food wise!! :)

19 Amanda @ A Latte Learn March 19, 2014 at 9:52 am

Gone Girl is so good! Lots of twists, I loved it! I can’t wait for the movie mostly because I love Ben Affleck ;)
Amanda @ A Latte Learn recently posted..Go With the Flow

20 Tatum | EATS From The Oil Patch Blog March 19, 2014 at 10:06 am

You should try a grande americano with 1 pump of white chocolate mocha and 1 pump vanilla (or any flavour really) the white chic makes it sooo creamy without having to add milk :)

That salad combo sounds fantastic!!
Tatum | EATS From The Oil Patch Blog recently posted..WIAW #11: Don’t Fear REAL Food.

21 Courtney March 19, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Mmmm, sounds delish! Thanks for the idea :)

22 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! March 19, 2014 at 10:08 am

Poor Baby and Mommy! It’s so hard to watch someone you care about not feel well! I hope he is feeling better today and you got some good rest! I can’t wait to try those energy bites. They look delicious!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Cardio Barre Fusion Workout Video! Get Ready To Sweat!

23 Angie @ Pint of Goals March 19, 2014 at 10:17 am

Sick babies are no fun! My daughter was sick from teething for just over a week, and our nighttime sleep was horrible. Luckily her tooth cut through and we’re all sleeping again. Totally feel you about the wine – last week I had a half bottle left from the weekend, and I looked at it longingly the whole day until dinner when I poured myself a glass. I hope Lucas gets better soon!

24 Ali March 19, 2014 at 10:26 am

Having a sick baby up in the middle of the night for 3 hours is definitely no fun! Solo caring for sick babies requires a glass of wine.

25 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine March 19, 2014 at 10:59 am

I’ve been on SUCH an oats kick lately. give me all the oats. Those krispy treats look.to.die.for. Mmmmm. I hope Lucas gets back to feeling better!

26 Sarah March 19, 2014 at 11:22 am

Best. Book. Ever. (Well, maybe not ever but definitely one of the best I’ve read in a while.)

27 Becky@TheSavedRunner March 19, 2014 at 11:34 am

I’m so sorry Lucas is sick! I hope he is better and you got more sleep last night!

28 Alana March 19, 2014 at 11:43 am

I’m OBSESSED with Sunshine Chips, but if you think about it, they’re SO expensive.

Are there any good copycat recipes out there?

29 Courtney March 19, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Haha, you’re right, they are expensive! I have no idea on how to recreate them…I know they’re also sold at The Fresh Market in their bulk bins…not sure if they’re any cheaper that way (although, probably not!)

30 Alaina March 19, 2014 at 11:52 am

First of all, tell me about this “whipped” oatmeal thing you do! I checked your recipe page but didn’t see anything that said whipped. Also, I know you exclusively BF (besides some finger foods). How do you make sure you eat enough? I just gave birth a week ago and was going strong but now am noticing a dwindling supply. I am not working out but I will say I am back at my pre-pregnancy weight, maybe even lower. I feel like I am eating enough, but am thinking this could be my issue, so I have been trying to eat more. Is there a target number you shoot for in terms of calories? Thanks!

31 Courtney March 19, 2014 at 12:07 pm

This is actually why I started using the MyFitnessPal app, to help get an idea! If you enter in your weight and activity and what you’re looking to do in terms of weight (maintain, most likely?) it will give you a calorie range to shoot for. From there, I just added in breastfeeding as an additional 500 calories I needed to make up for during the day (that’s an average – they say you burn ~20 calories/ounce). Hope that helps! And congrats on the new babe!!

32 Courtney March 19, 2014 at 12:12 pm
33 Alaina March 19, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Thanks for both of your responses, Courtney! I can’t wait to try those oats and already cooked the nighttime portion on stove top!

34 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog March 19, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Aww poor little Lucas! Hopefully he’ll start to feel better soon. I babysat for my friend’s sick child last weekend, and it literally broke my heart to watch her cry and not be able to do anything!

So I missed the post on festive treats, but OH MY. I have already headed to Treat House’s website to see how I can order them and ship them to Omaha stat. I mean, what a genius idea they’ve got with that place!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..WIAW: Cotton Candy Made My Day

35 Cristal March 19, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Gone Girl was such a let down to me…I feel like the author could have gone somewhere really great with it. The ending was a total let down.

36 Nancy March 19, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I seriously think the cold is going around the country. I’ve been sick going on three days now :( I’m forcing myself out of the house today!

37 Fiona MacDonald March 19, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Gone Girl is SO good! I’m so curious about the movie! Hope the rest of the week goes better for you!

38 Cailee March 19, 2014 at 4:23 pm

This looks like some great foods! Those PB balls look delicious!! YUMMY and healthy :)
Cailee recently posted..Sweet Nothings!

39 Nala March 19, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Aww poor Lucas! I hope he feels much better as the days go by, his Mama too! That chicken stir fry look delish! And so do those rice krispy treats, I wouldn’t mind snacking on a few either =)

40 Ellie@Fit for the soul March 19, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Being with your baby is a joy, but you’re right…when they’re sick they turn kind of scawy! haha, but seriously~poor Lucas. It’s so heartbreaking when they’re in pain and you can’t do much more than what you’ve already done. God bless you guys with quick healing and lottttsa rest! <33
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Why We Lack Joy: 7 Tidbits of Advice

41 Jenn@Mark My Miles! March 20, 2014 at 8:09 am

No judging here! Last night I went to bed at 7:30 p.m. because that is when my little one did. We have been having sleepless nights here and anytime I can rest when he does I will, regardless of the time on the clock. I also find sweets have been keeping me sane through all this lack of sleep.
Jenn@Mark My Miles! recently posted..Needing some hair advice + flowers surviving the metro

42 Rachel March 20, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hi Courtney,

My new Starbucks obsession is called London Fog. It’s actually an Earl Grey tea latte and ohhhh man, it is amazing.

It’s made with Earl Grey tea, a few pumps of vanilla syrup and steamed milk. Divine.

I’ve given up coffee a few months ago and I’ve been drinking tea like nobody’s business. You should definitely try the London Fog.

43 Courtney March 20, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Sounds delish! Thanks for the tip!

44 Andi March 23, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Loved Gone Girl!!
Whipped banana oats…how are they prepared? Sounds yummy.