Weekend Highlights {4/14}

by Courtney on April 14, 2014

Well, another fantastic weekend has come and gone! If nothing else, the weather was absolutely gorgeous, so that itself was enough to make for an awesome couple of days home with the family.

Friday night was spent at home (no surprise there) and included not only an amazing home-cooked dinner, but some delicious wine to boot.

Brancott Estate Wines “Flight Song”Brancott Estate Wines “Flight Song”

“I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Millennial Central for Brancott Estate Wines. I received product samples to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.”

So Brancott Estate has a new line of wines known as “Flight Song.” The line consists of a Pinot Grigio and a Sauvignon Blanc (both right up my alley), which are naturally 20% lighter in calories.

Brancott Estate Wines “Flight Song”

Jay and I were both thoroughly impressed with the full, crisp taste of the wine. Seeing as it’s made lighter in calories, we weren’t really sure what to expect, but I was definitely enough of a fan to go for a second glass.

Brancott Estate Wines “Flight Song”

Me + more than one glass of wine on a Friday night is rare, my friends (hello, bedtime), but it was worth it. Mmm mmmm. (You can check out Brancott Estate on both Facebook and Twitter!)

As for dinner? Well for one, I didn’t do anything to make it, since it was was made entirely by the hubs, so that was quite the perk. We had Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream (we used this recipe) and WOW were they good.

Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream

We’ve certainly had our fair share of tilapia tacos, but I was shocked when we realized that this was our first time ever attempting shrimp tacos. Umm, what were we thinking?

After about 3 hours worth of watching episodes from season two of Downton Abbey (so, so, SO obsessed) we finally called Friday a night. We were up fairly early Saturday morning and got a head start on the day. We headed out to run a couple of errands during the afternoon, which also happened to include a pit stop at DD’s for more cookie dough iced coffee. I just. can’t. stop.

Lucas was ready for his afternoon nap by the time we got home, so once he was down, quiet time in some sunshine was the name of the game.

We both sat there saying just how much there was that could have been done, but really, nothing else sounded more appealing at that moment than sitting and…doing nothing.

Once the little man was up from his nap, I was psyched to bring him out for his first-ever swing on the swings!

I’ve been waiting for weeks for the weather to finally be nice enough to bring him down to the park to check out the swings. He wasn’t quite sure what to think of it at first but Drools McGee quickly found the fun in it.

After hanging out at the swings for a little while, we headed back, dropped the little man off with my mother-in-law, and then it was time for date niiiiight.

Our original plan was actually to grab a quick dinner and then try to get some more errands/shopping done for our bathroom remodel (which is moving at a snail’s pace), but that quickly got nixed after we decided to first stop at Brown’s for a cherry raspberry beer out on the patio.

IMG_5859IMG_5861

The weather was just too nice to not be outside and, well, the beer just sounded good. In fact, the first beer was so good that we decided to head down the street to another local bar/restaurant, sat at the bar, and got another.

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat for me.

At this point, I was feelin’ pretty good, not to mention staaaarving. I wanted nothing more than a grilled turkey melt with sweet potato fries, so that’s exactly what I got.

Nothin’ fancy, but man, was it good.

At this point, I was probably more stuffed than I realized, but I think my excitement over dessert outweighed anything my stomach was trying to tell me. My favorite ice cream shop opened for the season a few weeks ago, and I’ve been itching to get there ever since.

Orange and vanilla soft serve with rainbow sprinkles, for the win.

Sunday was another great day. Beautiful weather, an awesome workout from the NTC app (my first one in a week…finally have my asthma regulated again!) a visit from my parents, lots of time spent with my boys, and baby sunglasses.

They may only stay on him for about .5 seconds, but I go nuts when he’s actually got them on. Too much cuteness.

Sunday afternoon involved some grocery shopping and, this may be totally random, but have you guys SEEN this stuff? Balsamic mayo??

I am obsessed with mayo, and I’m not ashamed to admit it. This stuff was just too intriguing to pass up so it’s now in my possession…I’ll be sure to let you guys know how it is. Promise.

Sunday dinner involved big salads with marinated chicken on the grill.

And then there was dessert. Because when said grocery shopping from above happened, I was hungry. And I wound up bringing home this.

I didn’t realize until I got home that I totally got the wrong ice cream (I don’t typically go for “no sugar added”), but it still tasted so, so good.

A perfect way to wrap up the weekend, indeed. And now, here we are back to the grind of the work week. I hope everyone has a great week ahead!

1 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 14, 2014 at 6:06 am

What a fabulous weekend! Shrimp tacos are delicious; which reminds me that it has been way too long since I’ve had shrimp. We saw Captain America and had sushi, this weekend. Two very good things! Hope your week is off to a great start!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..It’s the Four Ingredient Waffle!

2 Heather@KuwaitBites April 14, 2014 at 6:15 am

Hey There

Great weekend! I always manage to sneak ice cream and cookies into my cart too! xox

3 Maggie April 14, 2014 at 6:36 am

Everything looks SO good! This is why you are my favorite blog…keeping it real with good balance all around! Yummy food, fun and relaxed weekends, family time, and a workout to boot!

4 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie April 14, 2014 at 7:01 am

I’m so excited that it’s ice cream season. I mean, all year is ice cream season for me, but now it’s more socially acceptable to eat large amounts of ice cream.
Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..Let the Search Begin!

5 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 14, 2014 at 7:12 am

I sure had my fair share of ice cream this weekend. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the birthday cake oreos too. You can’t go wrong with mixing those! Glad you had a wonderful weekend :)

6 Lauren April 14, 2014 at 7:14 am

Look at Jay! Who knew he was such an amazing cook!
Glad you had a great weekend. Going out for dinner and ice-cream is a fantastic date night. We did the same!

7 Samantha @ Anatomy of My World April 14, 2014 at 7:24 am

Sounds like a great weekend! I’m so happy the weather is finally turning around! So ready for the heat of the summer… and to complain about the humidity.
Samantha @ Anatomy of My World recently posted..Pocket Full of Sunshine

8 Marina @ Lazy for Diet April 14, 2014 at 8:07 am

Sounds strange, but I never tried to crumble cookies in the ice cream. Oops. Your days off look perfectly! I hope, week will be same fine ;)

9 Karen April 14, 2014 at 8:41 am

What a fun weekend!! How are those cookies?
Karen recently posted..MIMM

10 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine April 14, 2014 at 8:52 am

What a FUN weekend! Those tacos and birthday Oreos look soooo great.

11 Jess @dearhealthyness April 14, 2014 at 9:14 am

Fun weekend!! I’ve never tried those oreosss! and since oreos are vegan :) I think I’m safe to try them :P
Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted..Life Lately & 5.7.14

12 Shel@PeachyPalate April 14, 2014 at 9:16 am

He looks so cute on the swing!!! Some delicious eats! I’ve only starting eating fish after 6 years of being vegan and loving shrimp, definitely got to try that one!

13 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 14, 2014 at 9:16 am

bah i’m obsessed with brancott estate sauvingnon blanc. i’ll have to be on the look out for those two new wines :) Lucas looks so adorable in the swing i can’t even. And ice cream shops opening for the first time when it starts to get warm out is the best thing ever! sounds like you had a lovely weekend!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Lemon Fusilli with Mushrooms, Peas, and Goat Cheese

14 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire April 14, 2014 at 9:46 am

Looks like a great weekend! Is there anything cuter than baby sunglasses? I don’t think so. Lucas is so, so cute!!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..A New Look & Weekend Recap

15 Becky@TheSavedRunner April 14, 2014 at 10:00 am

Your dessert you bought sounds great with birthday cake oreos! I am loving this warm weather too, but today is a little cold here where I am so I hope it doesn’t last long!

16 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 14, 2014 at 10:10 am

Sure does look like it was a great weekend! :) Glad you got some quality time in with your men – that’s the best! And ohhh my, the baby sunglasses!!! So darn cute. I try to keep Hunter’s on him, but he wants nothing to do with them. Love your vanilla ice cream + birthday cake Oreo combo!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..House Hunting is an Emotional Rollercoaster

17 Brynn April 14, 2014 at 10:16 am

Your shrimp tacos look awesome! I can’t wait to make them this week. What a wonderful weekend. I love when my weekend includes some down time and fun time.
Brynn recently posted..Sava’s Restaurant Girl’s Lunch

18 Betsy April 14, 2014 at 11:19 am

I hope I can find some Brancott Estate wine in Chicago, I’ve been on the hunt for good white wine now that it’s starting to warm up.

19 Ali April 14, 2014 at 11:27 am

Low calorie wine is amazing! I’ll have to try some. I’ve been loving wine lately.

20 Alaina April 14, 2014 at 12:42 pm

So as for the mayo, they also make one that has a barbeque flare to it! I haven’t tried it, but I bet that would also taste good!

As an Oreo fan, I recently came across Marshmallow Crispy Treat flavor, Lemon flavor and Cookie Dough flavor! All were good, but the Cookie Dough didn’t taste like cookie dough to me. The lemon and rice crispy treat, however, were to the point! It may be worth a try if you like Oreos! Got to love limited editions….

21 Tiff April 14, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Looks like a fantastic weekend to me. I didn’t think about putting E on a swing. Maybe next month he’ll be ready. What fun! Oooooh, and those sweet potato friesssss
Tiff recently posted..Monday Musings

22 Ellie@Fit for the soul April 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Hahaha there’s nothing cuter and funnier than a baby wearing sunglasses! It’s just too weird+awesome at the same time. :P And Jay is the mannnnn. He seriously makes the yummiest looking dishes for you guys.
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Spring Breakfast Parfait {vegan+gf}

23 Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit April 14, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I love those random days where you end up doing a little bar hopping – the spur of the moment feel makes it so fun – especially because you know you really should be doing something more productive but say screw it and enjoy the spontaneity. Good for you guys!
Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted..Food + Fitness This Week

24 Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt April 14, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I LOVE vanilla birthday cake Oreos! Never thought to use them as an ice cream topping!
Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt recently posted..Makes Me Happy Mondays III

25 Annette@FitnessPerks April 14, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Ice cream always manages to make its way into my cart too. Weird. ;)

He looks adorable in those sunglasses!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Weekend Highlights {A Whole Lot of Great}

26 Des @ Life's Ambrosia April 14, 2014 at 6:56 pm

So happy to hear that you enjoyed the shrimp tacos! And I’m interested to hear what you have to say about that Balsamic Mayo. Just like my last pregnancy, I am totally obsessed with mayo and it HAS to be Best Foods (Hellman’s for you East Coasters) I haven’t seen the balsamic here but I’m intrigued. :)
Des @ Life’s Ambrosia recently posted..Crispy Dill Chicken Wings

27 Leigha @ Minougirl April 14, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Perfect weekend! Seriously, so many good eats going on. I also sat for a little while and did NOTHING. It was great! And I haven’t tried balsamic mayo, but I recently found an olive oil infused mayo. So good!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Spring Weekend Snapshsots

28 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves April 14, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Mmm sweet potato fries are always a good idea. As is soft serve ice cream.
Looks like you had a fabulous weekend! Little Lucas is such a stud with those sunglasses! ;)
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Weekend in Charlottesville

29 Kelby April 15, 2014 at 8:55 am

My, those shrimp tacos look tasty. Your hubs did a great job :) Love reading your weekend highlights. Looks like a fun family weekend.

I know you are very busy, especially with a baby boy, but do you have plans to run any races in the foreseeable future? I believe you’re from the northeast, and I’m interested to know which races peak your interest, if any!
NewEnglandOutlook.com
Kelby recently posted..Weekend in Review: Cheese & Trees

30 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog April 15, 2014 at 10:55 am

Wow that wine sounds amazing! I too am a huge pinot grigio fan, and I would love to try a wine with less calories. I definitely drink more than enough of it, so cutting a few calories wouldn’t hurt ;-).

I was in NYC this weekend to meet my little niece and I couldn’t agree more about the weather. It was incredible – so beautiful out.

Finally tried that Cookie Dough Iced Coffee from DD. The jury is still out – not lovin’ it but definitely drank it all soooo…

Oh, and love the idea of crumbling birthday cake oreos on ice cream. I may have to try that next time instead of Goldfish :-)
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..A Return to NYC

31 Sarah @ Sweet Miles April 15, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Your little Keds looking shoes are SO cute!! And that wine, sounds delicious :) Glad you had a nice, warm and relaxing weekend!
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Sweet Potato Nachos

32 Polly @ Tasty Food Project April 15, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I’ve seen the birthday cake oreos but haven’t given them a try!