Hey friends! After a LONG day of travel yesterday, I’m finally back home and have been reunited with my boys. It feels so good to be home!
The entire weekend was an absolute blast, and I cannot wait to give you all a full recap or two. But until I’m able to get my life back in order and get all of my photos organized, I thought I’d put a fun, festive (and delicious!) Cinco de Mayo recipe post together for you all.
I first created a few of the below recipes a couple of years ago for a SOYJOY test, but in case you missed them over on their site, I wanted to share them with you here today because all three of them were absolutely delicious. So much so, in fact, that I’m hoping to make at least two of them this evening. Here ya go!
Fresh Watermelon Margarita
• 3-1/2 – 4 cups watermelon, cubed and seeded
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1-1/2 tablespoons Triple Sec (orange-flavored liqueur)
• 3/4 cup tequila
• 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• Extra lime wedges and sugar for rimming the glass
1. Combine watermelon, sugar, Triple Sec, tequila, and lime juice in a blender; process until smooth.
2. Place extra sugar (about 2 teaspoons) in a small saucer. Rub an extra lime wedge around the rim of each glass, then spin rims in sugar to coat.
3. Fill each prepared glass with 1/2 cup crushed ice, add margarita mixture, and garnish with extra lime wedges.
Mexican Chicken Fajita Bake
• 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 small red onion, sliced
• 1/2 of a red pepper, cut into strips
• 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
• 1/2 tablespoon cumin
• 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
• 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked white-meat chicken
• 4 6-inch whole wheat tortillas, cut into wedges
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/4 cup prepared salsa
• 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Sauté onion, pepper strips and jalapeno for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle cumin; stir well. Add tomatoes and simmer, 5 minutes. Add shredded chicken and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer bottom of dish with half of tortilla wedges. Spoon the chicken mixture on top and cover with the other half of tortilla wedges. Spoon 1/4 cup salsa over top, followed by cilantro and cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cut into quarters and enjoy!
Healthy Mexican Rice & Beans
• 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
• 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
• 1 cup frozen sweet corn
• 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
• 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
In a medium skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onions and jalapeno peppers until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with cumin, cook 1 minute. Add cooked rice, crushed tomatoes, sweet corn and black beans; simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
And, of course, you can’t forget about a Margarita Cake.
So what do ya think…hungry yet? I know I am.