I Survived My Race!

by Courtney on May 16, 2014

Well guys, it’s Thursday evening as I’m typing this up and it’s late. I still have lunches to make, bottles to fill, and a half dozen other things that I’d like to accomplish before my bedtime (which should have been, like, a half hour ago).

BUT…I had to pop in quick to let you all know that I survived my race.

photo (2)

Word on the street is that there was around 9,500 attendees and I’d certainly believe it. There were tons and tons of people everywhere you turned.

photo 1

photo 2

We had about 30 or so people from my company that participated, and I spent about 90% of the race with my friend, Morgan.

photo 2

We all got fancy matching shirts, too.

We had said we’d stick together for the duration, but I started losing steam towards the end (hello, nasty blister on the bottom of my big toe/ball of my foot) and I told her to just keep on going without me. I know, it sounds so dramatic, doesn’t it?

The race was 3.5 miles and I wound up talking three walking breaks throughout it. And despite the fact that it was raining pretty good before the race started, the actual race stayed fairly dry. Mile 1 felt pretty good. Mile 2 was alright. Mile 3 was not that awesome. And the last half mile had me silently cursing my decision to run.

Then I crossed the finish line…and although I legit thought I was gonna pass out, I was pumped.

photo 1

(Unofficial time there…pretty sure my actual one is closer to 34 mins)

*Update! My official time was actually pretty accurate to that…

race time

Running races really isn’t all that scary (okay, running short races isn’t all that scary…I still think you marathoners are nuts) and it actually felt pretty good to be moving out there.

Really, had it not been for Propel and their Add Flavor Challenge, I’m pretty positive I would have never signed up for this thing.

photo 3

They challenged me to face my fitness fear, and I went for it. So what about YOU guys? Have any of you gone ahead and faced any of your fitness fears yet this month??

face a fitness fear

Now, does this mean that I plan on signing up for more races anytime soon. Nope. No it does not. I’m perfectly content running sans bibs and crazy-large crowds. Buuuut maybe I’ll attempt a run or two off the treadmill now. We’ll see.

Disclaimer: This post is part of my partnership with Propel. All opinions, as always, are my own.

1 Tiff May 16, 2014 at 6:05 am

Yayyyy!! Great job! That’s a huge race, and it sounds like fun… well, except that whole blister thing. ;) Happy Friday!
Tiff recently posted..Five for Friday

2 Runner Girl Eats May 16, 2014 at 6:14 am

Congrats on your race! I have a love/hate relationship with races. I love them once they start but the lead up always have me sooo nervous!
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Fitness and Feasts

3 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 16, 2014 at 6:42 am

Yay, you!!!! Way to go!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Gettin’ Figgy Wit It

4 Linz @ Itz Linz May 16, 2014 at 6:46 am

wahoo! congrats! great way to start a weekend!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..friday facts

5 Lauren May 16, 2014 at 7:07 am

Way to go lady! I knew you would rock it. :)

6 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie May 16, 2014 at 7:23 am

You did it! See, races aren’t so bad right? ; ) Congrats!

7 Laura May 16, 2014 at 7:23 am

Congratulations Courtney! You did it and you did great. Bet that’s a huge weight off your chest and now it’s Friday! :)
Laura recently posted..Stop the Negative Self-Talk

8 Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner May 16, 2014 at 7:25 am

YAY! A huge congrats to you! You are an amazing woman!
Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner recently posted..Weekly Fitness

9 Shel@PeachyPalate May 16, 2014 at 7:38 am

You did awesome!!! Well done for facing you’re fear and for continuing to run through the pain! Hope your not in too much pain today!

10 Kim @FITsique May 16, 2014 at 7:40 am

Congrats!!! I’ve never entered a race either so I applaud you!
Kim @FITsique recently posted..How To Fit Flexible Dieting Into Your Life

11 Brynn May 16, 2014 at 7:42 am

What a great recap . I love your perspective on the race and how it helped you learn more about yourself. Also, you look gorgeous in that picture!
Brynn recently posted..Sometimes…

12 Miss Polkadot May 16, 2014 at 7:59 am

Way to go in facing your fear and crushing it! Even better that you [mostly] enjoyed it and had fun with your company. Because that’s really all that matters.
Miss Polkadot recently posted..No crumbles invited [Pistachio Vanilla Granola Clusters]

13 Carrie May 16, 2014 at 8:46 am

Congratulations on your race! It’s always a sense of accomplishment and a great one at that! I am facing my “fitness fear” next September as I just signed up for my first marathon! I’m slightly freaking out but can’t wait to challenge myself and say I I DID IT!

14 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire May 16, 2014 at 9:29 am

Congrats Courtney! Crossing the finish line is one of the best feelings in the world!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Taking Child’s Pose In Life

15 Lauren @ LoveChocolateLife May 16, 2014 at 9:46 am

Congrats on surviving the race !!!! I love that you are so positive about the race without training and walking during a few parts of it. Some of us beat ourselves up for walking during a race so you are a great role model !! And I must try that propel !
Lauren @ LoveChocolateLife recently posted..Thinking out Loud: First Half Marathon this weekend

16 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 16, 2014 at 10:01 am

Awesome job on your race and facing your fears!! That’s no easy task. You did AWESOME!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..5 Reminders for Running in the Heat

17 Shawna May 16, 2014 at 10:14 am

great job facing the fear and finishing your first race in a while! really happy for you. finishing just feels so darn good, doesn’t it? :)

18 Ali May 16, 2014 at 10:23 am

Yay!! Good job. Your time is even really good:)

19 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives May 16, 2014 at 10:26 am

Congrats on conquering that fitness fear & great job, btw!!! My new fitness fear is taking a pure barre class! I’ve been wanting to for quite a while, but am slightly intimidated since I’m about 4 months postpartum. Fortunately, they have classes that just opened up close to where I live, butttt I’m pretty terrified that I won’t be able to keep up since I’m just recently getting back into working out. Ugh… I think I’m gonna push past it and at least try it out! …and that’s my narrartive for the day. Lol!
Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..3 Month Update, Favorites & More!

20 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 16, 2014 at 10:35 am

Yay, you did it!! Awesome job, Courtney!!!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..8 Things I’ve Learned About Myself

21 Jess @dearhealthyness May 16, 2014 at 10:58 am

I love challenges, and I like running, but I prefer short distances! I have the attention span of a kid, so noup… a half or a complete marathon are not for me. I prefer to admire the ones that run them :P
Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted..The Goodbye Birthday Party + 8 Yrs.

22 Polly @ Tasty Food Project May 16, 2014 at 11:10 am

Congrats on finishing your race! Excellent job!! Looks like it was lots of fun!
Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted..Friday Favorites! Edition 5

23 Andrea May 16, 2014 at 11:58 am

congrats! you look so great :)

24 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health May 16, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Awesome job, Courtney! You did so good! I can relate to the fear that comes with running a race. Running doesn’t come natural to me so I really have to push myself but I’m contemplating signing up for another 10k soon. We’ll see!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..White Bean, Kale & Tomato Quesadillas

25 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 16, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Yay!! Congrats!! I think you should totally try running outside…it’s so nice to get out into the fresh air and unwind!

26 Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment May 16, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Great job on facing your fear! I pinned that by the way. :-)

27 Julie May 16, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Small world! My sister works at KAPL and lives in Latham and ran in the same race too! She came in 3437 place. :) You guys were probably running right near each other! Great job!

28 haley @ Cupcakes and Sunshine May 16, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Wooo, you go girl!! I feel the same way running 5Ks. But when its all done with, I feel awesome!

29 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 16, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Congrats, girl! What an incredible time! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..BRTR Week 11 / CrossFit Week 1

30 Katelyn May 16, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Congrats on the race! Looks like I started right near you because I can actually see myself in that photo :) I thought I saw you on the course too. Glad you conquered your fear, you should try and get out for more runs. They can be fun and there are a lot of great ones in the Capital Region!!
Katelyn recently posted..L.A. excursion and Mother’s Day

31 Leigha @ Minougirl May 17, 2014 at 9:08 am

Great job!! I never imagined I could be a runner, but in the span of a year I ran two half marathons and placed 4th in the state for cross country. Anything is possible!
Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Fashion Friday {5/12 – 5/16}